Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Stringbean posted:

Modules? Get a bunch of modules, yeah. That's the ticket. Or start playing unfavorable mechs. I have an Ice Ferret because of this.

This is what I did when I got to the point where there weren't any c-bill 'mechs that I still wanted. Not having to change modules between 'mechs and matches is always a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
The answer is Myst Lynx and Summoners. Punish yourself for having too many cbills.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

redreader posted:

Anyway, I joined the mumble server and one person, mjilaek, was online, and not responding so, yeah, seems dead? For comparison, when I used to play there were like 30+ goons online.

FYI there's a group of 8 people currently going on.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Whoever can affiliate WOL with a faction please do so

tunaism
Dec 24, 2011
can the robot police please come arrest this fool?

He had like 12 tons of ammo for those lurms.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I've seen shitloads of XL Atlas lately and coincidentally LRMAtlas. It's like they've given up on actually contributing.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
I haven't been keeping up with this at all since The Division came out but thread activity died down and skimming through a few pages seems like activity here is down too.
I want to get on and try the Archer because I'm a lovely pubbie at heart and I like LRMs. However, the patch is massive and looks like I'll need to leave it overnight (TWC is donkey poo poo here).

Did Paul and Russ finally manage to kill the game with their new and brilliant ideas?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I saw a dual PPC single lurm 20 atlas the other day.

We lost.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

TVDinna posted:

I haven't been keeping up with this at all since The Division came out but thread activity died down and skimming through a few pages seems like activity here is down too.
I want to get on and try the Archer because I'm a lovely pubbie at heart and I like LRMs. However, the patch is massive and looks like I'll need to leave it overnight (TWC is donkey poo poo here).

Did Paul and Russ finally manage to kill the game with their new and brilliant ideas?

Don't buy the archer, it isn't good for LRMs. It has some fun gimmick brawler builds, but that's about it as far as usefulness goes.

If you want a good LRM mech get the Awesome 8R, which is only 10 tons heavier than the archer but much, much better in pretty much every way, and even though the awesome isn't a super good mech its variants have actual variety in their playstyle instead of all being different shades of garbage like the archers are.

Both of them have garbage hit boxes, but the Awesome is really, really heavily quirked, has a super good hardpoint for a tag, and its cockpit is mounted high on the mech instead of super low so you can actually peek over hills without exposing yourself when spotting your own targets.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

the awesome 8R is the only one of them I kept just because it CAN be used to do something other than Lrming. Its so heavily quirked you kinda can't afford the heat to run 4 lrms so you might as well bring some other stuff.

I kinda want to get the elite skills for it, but at the same time that involves basicing another awesome. Is there a third one that's vaguely worth it? The 9m feels like a trap but it has that super high engine cap. Then again, aren't that what battlemasters are for?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The 8Q is a reasonably effective 4 ppc gimmick. The 9M is awful. four of its hard points are in the CT.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
Too late, I already preordered it for the bonuses.

I've got several lurm boats and I probably have that Awesome too but I usually stick to lower tonnage mechs because LRMs are mostly garbage even when played right.

Why is the Archer so bad? The quirks look a little weak but on the Tempest it'd have ECM on a LRM boat and cbill bonus. Too bad no jumpjets.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Great Beer posted:

The 8Q is a reasonably effective 4 ppc gimmick. The 9M is awful. four of its hard points are in the CT.

The 9M is a gimmick, put 4 LPL's on it, stuff in the biggest XL you can, fill the rest with double heat sinks and a flamer in the head.

It's "not great", and you can probably build something better, but it's like driving a 1970's 98 Oldsmobile-robot at 90kph.

And bind the flamer to push to talk.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
You've answered one part of it (LRM's are garbage)
It's quirks are weak for an IS mech and it doesn't have Clan stuff to make up for that,
It's CT and ST's are giant targets that it's arms won't protect and that it has to expose when peeking because of it's cockpit placement.

The Brawl builds are nasty but that's true of all SRM-based brawlers and there are lots of mechs that do it quite a bit better.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

TVDinna posted:

I've got several lurm boats and I probably have that Awesome too but I usually stick to lower tonnage mechs because LRMs are mostly garbage even when played right.

Why is the Archer so bad? The quirks look a little weak but on the Tempest it'd have ECM on a LRM boat and cbill bonus. Too bad no jumpjets.

Tempest is kind of okay, in the "run 3 large pulse plus 3 medium lasers for a pokey ECM medium" sense (except it's a large and is sized/moves appropriately). The -5W would be amazing on a Clan chassis, but with IS launchers weighing twice as much before Artemis it's a real struggle to find the tonnage and crit slots to mount all the weapons and heatsinks.

The rabbit ears are a hilariously bad occasional liability that makes you manually close and open your bay doors rather than leaving them open, and even with the bonus structure quirks you can either run an XL engine and die when your easily hit side torsos get shot off, or you can run a STD engine and carry less firepower and be slower and die when your easily hit CT gets cored out.

The Tempest is the only Archer worth running, and only because the extra protection ECM provides makes it less bad, not because the hitboxes/hardpoints/quirks are favorable.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I find if I use LRMs right I can actually have a big impact on the fight. Love my LRM awesome. Trick is to hang out 100 to 200 meters behind an assault, wait until he engages and then just poo poo missiles all over what he's targeting. Your assaults end up with a ton of kills and you get a ton of assists. They're duking it out and your making GBS threads extra damage on their target to tilt the balance. The problem is pubbie want to sit at 1000m and ignore the fight to click fire on red circles that have plenty of time to get to cover and lose lock before the missiles can cover the distance. If you're in the middle of the pack you can poo poo missiles on any targets that the group engages without a chance for them to get to cover or even get your own locks. My awesome regularly finishes with 500-600 damage. With Artemis a noticeable chunk of that is going in to center torsos. Artemis plus beagle means you can really gently caress up lights that try anything funny even with ecm.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TVDinna posted:

It has the quirks of a clan mech, but uses inner sphere equipment. Also, LRMs are bad in this game.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Doing FW for smoke jags if you guys want in.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

armchairyoda posted:

The 9M is a gimmick, put 4 LPL's on it, stuff in the biggest XL you can, fill the rest with double heat sinks and a flamer in the head.

It's "not great", and you can probably build something better, but it's like driving a 1970's 98 Oldsmobile-robot at 90kph.

And bind the flamer to push to talk.

I actually have more fun with the 9M chainfiring 3x ERPPC. :bang:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Is there some exploit involving rapidly toggling your ECM mode or something? I've been in a few games now where I have simply been unable to lock missiles on ecm cheetahs at close range (< 100m) despite having a target lock on them, in addition their targeting lock rectangle would flicker on and off like crazy. I could lock on other targets covered by the ecm at the same ranges, just not the originators of the ecm.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The Saddest Robot posted:

Is there some exploit involving rapidly toggling your ECM mode or something? I've been in a few games now where I have simply been unable to lock missiles on ecm cheetahs at close range (< 100m) despite having a target lock on them, in addition their targeting lock rectangle would flicker on and off like crazy. I could lock on other targets covered by the ecm at the same ranges, just not the originators of the ecm.

Hmm, will try this.

e: I don't think it does anything. The game won't let you switch super fast, either.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 28, 2016

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

The Saddest Robot posted:

Most likely is that there is more than one ecm in the area or they are moving outside of your bap range.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Stalker. 6 LL. Both LL modules. Viridian bog. What the gently caress do I do in this god forsaken map? If I rush up to the central island I will get shot from every angle. If I stand back to take advantage of my 550 optimal range they see me, I see trees, I'm shot anyway, and now lights will charge me and murder me and nobody wants to hang back and protect a stalker.

If I hang out trying to shoot down that alleyway by the bug bones I get shot right back up that alleyway and also from the central island if the other side gets the stairs, flanked from the side if they dont. If I go up the stairs I'm shot from everyone, especially the side islands that I can never find when I want to shoot the people up those stairs.

I fundamentally do not understand a single thing I can do to be useful in this map. I understand how to brawl here. I can even LRM here. I can't snipe without ECM and jumpjets and I don't know how everyone else seems to do it so easily.

e: gently caress how do you stalker, period. Thought I'd do well on the new map which is basically built for large laser sniping. All I want to do is stand still and shoot everybody forever and my team always abandons me and then I'm surrounded.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 28, 2016

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Krinkle posted:

All I want to do is stand still and shoot everybody forever

Problem found

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I meant relocating. I step in and out of cover to break missile lock and hide to cool off. But I move 60kph and can't even torso twist 90 degrees. Moving while firing is either moonwalking or charging into battle and a large laser stalker doesn't brawl well. Once it's time to relocate to keep up with the team I am 100% hosed as moonwalking doesn't work if the goal is to not get left behind and the other option exposes my booty hole to getting cored out by everyone.

E: I hate going 56kph and playing conquest. Boo to this mode.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 28, 2016

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
^ basically find the tankiest assaults on your team and follow them around. That's your only real option.

Alternatively you ask the brawler mediums to follow you as you lead into a point and then they swoop push - but lol no one will ever listen and that will never happen.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

^ basically find the tankiest assaults on your team and follow them around. That's your only real option.

Alternatively you ask the brawler mediums to follow you as you lead into a point and then they swoop push - but lol no one will ever listen and that will never happen.

The short version is, group up and push together. You always want to have more people shooting at the enemy at any given moment than the enemy has people that can shoot at you. You can't make pubbies follow you in, but you can take advantage of a ball of pubbies to provide target saturation for the enemy.

You want engagements to be as unfair as possible. Your ideal fight is all 12 mechs on your team engaging 1 enemy mech at a time, repeated twelve times. Use the in-game voice chat, yell at pubbies to jump in when the enemy team is split, call targets, do whatever it takes. Don't be afraid to burn consumables; UAVs are really loving handy at encouraging groups of pubbies to walk out and murder smaller groups of enemies.

Olesh fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 28, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
re: Stalker

stark pointed out the first problem, Sharks first half is the other part of it.

I don't feel that the Stalker is fragile. It's big rear end nose is the problem. But the awesome thing about that 6x LLas monstrosity is that you have 4 of those 6 lasers mounted way up high. Coupled with the fact that your cockpit also sits high up, you've got yourself a pretty gnarly hill poker. There's plenty of places in most maps to do this. You're issue is reaching that location. Remember the best spots, make your mind up early where you're going and go.

Put shitload of armor on your front, spew 36 damage over hills. If something comes over that hill, then alpha them for 54 damage instead.

In regards to the Bog. Those alleys are where you're going to punish anyone dumb enough to walk down it until the field narrows a bit. Keep your head on a swivel and make anyone pays who think they're going to peek over the edge of the plateaus. If lights find you, there are plenty of places to back your rear end against a wall and blow their legs off.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Stringbean posted:

I don't feel that the Stalker is fragile. It's big rear end nose is the problem. But the awesome thing about that 6x LLas monstrosity is that you have 4 of those 6 lasers mounted way up high. Coupled with the fact that your cockpit also sits high up, you've got yourself a pretty gnarly hill poker. There's plenty of places in most maps to do this. You're issue is reaching that location. Remember the best spots, make your mind up early where you're going and go.

Put shitload of armor on your front, spew 36 damage over hills. If something comes over that hill, then alpha them for 54 damage instead.

In regards to the Bog. Those alleys are where you're going to punish anyone dumb enough to walk down it until the field narrows a bit. Keep your head on a swivel and make anyone pays who think they're going to peek over the edge of the plateaus. If lights find you, there are plenty of places to back your rear end against a wall and blow their legs off.

Yeah, to expand on this a bit, weapon groups are actually pretty important on the Stalker. I always go with my 3 left on group 1, 3 right on group 2, and then the 4 top on group 3. That lets you shoot around corners if you get caught out while corner-poking and you've got the top brace for hill humping. If you need an oh gently caress alpha just mash 1 and 2 together.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Another question about MW4.

How do I play it with my TM warthog/rudder pedals if I can only choose 1 joystick to play with.

MWO used to have this issue.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
yeah some good Stalker advice ITT. It's incredibly powerful and almost meta-proof (something with that many high energy mounts and those hitboxes will always find a role) but you have to remember two things:

1. never not be in cover. you can hill-hump or side-peek with it better than almost any other 'mech, but it is slow and clumsy so you don't wanna ever be caught in the open

2. because of the weird hitboxes, it's actually more beneficially to wiggile your nose back and forth slightly than it is to fully twist

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

yeah some good Stalker advice ITT. It's incredibly powerful and almost meta-proof (something with that many high energy mounts and those hitboxes will always find a role) but you have to remember two things:

1. never not be in cover. you can hill-hump or side-peek with it better than almost any other 'mech, but it is slow and clumsy so you don't wanna ever be caught in the open

2. because of the weird hitboxes, it's actually more beneficially to wiggile your nose back and forth slightly than it is to fully twist

#2 isn't going to be a problem. I think that thing has about 45 degrees of movement to either side.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Do the Stalker Shimmy

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Drythe posted:

Do the Stalker Shimmy

More like the Hyperion Shake...I'll show myself out.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Phi230 posted:

Another question about MW4.

How do I play it with my TM warthog/rudder pedals if I can only choose 1 joystick to play with.

MWO used to have this issue.

Write a custom driver that considers both the devices to be one controller. Or use Joy2Key and fake the pedal inputs.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Massed lrm5 or lrm10 are CT seeking bastards right now. I murdered a bunch of lights in my crow over the weekend when they'd come after me then realize I wasn't defenseless. I kept putting full lrm10x4 into their back as they ran away. It also helps that clan lrms don't have a minimum range.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Massed lrm5 or lrm10 are CT seeking bastards right now. I murdered a bunch of lights in my crow over the weekend when they'd come after me then realize I wasn't defenseless. I kept putting full lrm10x4 into their back as they ran away. It also helps that clan lrms don't have a minimum range.

Honestly even having one or two non-LRM weapons is enough for about two thirds of light pilots to turn around, at least if you're not hanging out half a kilometer from your main group so they can't just park behind you. I can't count the number of times I've had a light farting around near me and just waved a medium laser in its general direction and had it take off in the other direction.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Stringbean posted:

The stalker's problems have always been a very low top speed and a pretty restrictive torso twist. Which makes rolling damage more difficult. It's also too easy to lose a ST that then takes half your weapons.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

The rhino is really fun though because turning a corner and one shotting a dude is always amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The Stalker is a great example of a mech that by all rights should suck but which is made good by strong quirks.

• Locked thread