Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Apollodorus posted:

Eh, I always assumed that’s a later interpolation by Zenodotus or someone. Odysseus going full Neelix seems more faithful to the oral tradition.

The tradition is unrecoverable, the text endures. The point of the scene (and Odysseus as a whole) is that the hero is more than just heavily armed man-thing animated by passion. Joyce called him “the first gentleman in Europe” for knowing not to just hang dong here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

bennyfactor posted:

On the other hand, when you do come across the TNG font in the wild, it isn't where you'd think it would be

Fish.
The final frontier.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

skasion posted:

The tradition is unrecoverable

unless you’re M.L. West, of course

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

unless you’re M.L. West, of course

:hmmyes:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sort of like how if you encounter Eurostile Bold Extended in the real world instead of a sci-fi movie, it subconsciously feels like you're in the future. :tinfoil:

(Shamelessly stolen from https://typesetinthefuture.com/2014/11/29/fontspots-eurostile/).

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Knormal posted:

Fish.
The international pier.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I feel like a Star Gate font would be funnier for a fishing resort

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

There were two sets of kana prominent on the side of the ring. One was definitely the katakana for Yuri. The other was kanji but I don’t recall it reading as Kei (though I wouldn’t be surprised). Regardless, Kei’s name is usually written in katakana too. But that poo poo would be funny if true.

Although this is even more lol-worthy if true. I never considered that anything more than a coincidence.

Just went to check using youtube clips.

On the side of the ring are visible the kanji for fire (火) and water (水), along with the katakana for yuri. On the surface of the ring is a big kanji for star (星). There's also some kana on either side of the star kanji, but I can't get a good look between the resolution and the red on black writing. Same with the banners on the outside - there's hiragana but can't pick out the full thing due to lack of contrast.

On the chest of each outfit, there is again the fire and water kanji. In addition, Papa Riker has the kanji for sky (空), and Will has the kanji for earth (地).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

MikeJF posted:

There's an enormous number of anime references in TNG in particular, the crew were weeeebs.

Weirdly I don't feel like there's very much reciprocal Star Trek presence in anime in general, either references or themes or aesthetics. Daicon 3 is the only one I know of off the top of my head, and they were mainly just trying to get all the iconic spaceships in there.

As opposed to like Star Wars or Alien that I more readily know of more anime references to and influences worn more on the sleeve.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I would guess “American world state” was not an overly appealing future to most Japanese viewers, particularly not in the 60s when the war was a fresh memory. Like, Japan has more than one classic scifi show from that decade but the one that springs to mind is a story about how the Yamato saves plucky little earth from alien fascists who want to bomb it into an irradiated wasteland for them to colonize.

SBY is 70s now that I think about it. But still.

skasion fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 17, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Sort of like how if you encounter Eurostile Bold Extended in the real world instead of a sci-fi movie, it subconsciously feels like you're in the future. :tinfoil:

(Shamelessly stolen from https://typesetinthefuture.com/2014/11/29/fontspots-eurostile/).

That's the Homeworld title font too.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Wrapped up a rewatch of DS9 season 1. Freakin Kai wynn man.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bismack Billabongo posted:

If only people had just given her exactly what she wanted all the time she wouldn't of had to stab them in the back so much.

So misunderstood. :(

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Powered Descent posted:

Goddamnit now I've got yet another thing to notice in TV and film

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Star Trek is actually Microgramma.

It is literally everywhere, like Casio, Halliburton, and Embraer.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Bismack Billabongo posted:

And season 2 Winn gets even better!

My child, they don’t even let me gently caress the orb.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SlothfulCobra posted:

Weirdly I don't feel like there's very much reciprocal Star Trek presence in anime in general, either references or themes or aesthetics. Daicon 3 is the only one I know of off the top of my head, and they were mainly just trying to get all the iconic spaceships in there.

As opposed to like Star Wars or Alien that I more readily know of more anime references to and influences worn more on the sleeve.

Dirty Pair actually has a few Star Trek references sprinkled in the background

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The show aired in 1985, a couple of years prior to TNG. (stupid forums software still only allowing one attachment per post)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 19, 2024

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's also worth noting that most of the anime references in TNG were really hard to see in SD, and often totally illegible. They're tiny in part because the art guys were sneaking them past the producers, who weren't in on the joke at all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

And season 2 Winn gets even better!

My child, they don’t even let me gently caress the orb.

I think DS9 would have solved a lot of problems if they just let Kai Winn gently caress the orb.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Dirty Pair actually has a few Star Trek references sprinkled in the background

That’s the foreground.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Kibayasu posted:

That’s the foreground.

lol

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's also worth noting that most of the anime references in TNG were really hard to see in SD, and often totally illegible. They're tiny in part because the art guys were sneaking them past the producers, who weren't in on the joke at all.

Yea there's a lot of stuff (like the displays in main engineering) that has random greebles on that you would never see in SD

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's kinda like how you weren't meant to see that all the writing on the buttons is just numbers and not actual words.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
How many of those references made it to the HD remasters? I know they changed The Neutral Zone so that one character’s ancestors weren’t the Doctor Who actors.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
(Six of) the Doctor Who actors and three of the Muppets, two of the characters from The Mary Tyler Moore Show, a couple MASH characters, Ginger and Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island...

The HD remasters changed this family tree so it made more sense, and holy poo poo, did they up the references and in-jokes on it. Like, among others, "Jonathan Frakes Raymond" is one of that character's descendants.

I'll just post the Memory Alpha link to the Raymond family genealogy here because Good Lord, it's a lot.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

I think DS9 would have solved a lot of problems if they just let Kai Winn gently caress the orb.

That's the problem, she tried and the Prophets rejected her

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is star trek anime?

Or is it more of a super sentai thing?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Prodigy, the Animated Series, and Deep Space Nine are anime

Enterprise, TNG, Voyager and nuTrek aren't.

TOS is like proto-anime

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

Prodigy, the Animated Series, and Deep Space Nine are anime

Enterprise, TNG, Voyager and nuTrek aren't.

TOS is like proto-anime

yeah but otoh they're wearing skintight color coded spandex suits and flying around in a combining vehicle that sells tons of toys, and meeting a new alien in a big rubbery suit every episode

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wait how did I never know that the frozen people were on ship called the Birdseye, because that's loving hilarious

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Star Trek thievery! By Star Trek! From Star Trek! To make Star Trek!

https://www.slashfilm.com/1582298/star-trek-the-next-generation-the-chase-deep-space-nine-budget/

Star Trek: TNG's The Chase Was Already A Struggle – Then Its Budget Was Stolen By DS9

quote:

Practically speaking, there's a reason why most aliens on "Star Trek" are humanoid. Not only are they humanoid, but they all share very similar specific features: two legs, two arms, two eyes, one mouth, teeth, and/or hair. Many aliens look identical to humans apart from ridges on their foreheads or elaborate skin markings. This is because all the aliens on "Star Trek" are played by human actors. Very occasionally, Captain Kirk (William Shatner) might encounter a Melkot or a Tholian who were achieved through puppetry or photographic effects, but for the most part, aliens were played by Earth's boring ol' Homo sapiens actors.

By the time the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" episode "The Chase" aired on April 26, 1993, Trekkies had been watching the franchise long enough to ask why — from an in-canon perspective — all aliens looked like humans. "The Chase" came up with a cute (if not wholly satisfying) canonical excuse as to why Trek evolutionary biology favored human shapes: it seems all humanoid species share a common ancestor. As the lore goes: billions of years ago, the galaxy's first sentient species evolved on a distant planet. They explored the universe in ultra-high-speed space vessels but found no neighbors. To rectify the situation, they seeded millions of worlds with their DNA, assuring other species would evolve similarly in millions of years. It's not great, but it's something.

In the oral history book "Captains' Logs: The Unauthorized Complete Trek Voyages" edited by Mark A. Altman and Edward Gross, various NextGen showrunners admitted that "The Chase" was hard to hed a handle on, and that the script underwent many changes. Most damning was when "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine," running concurrently, siphoned a lot of NextGen's budget. A lot of cuts and concessions had to be made.

More thievery in the article.

But you probably already knew that. Thief!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Watching Enterprise for the first time, to stay in sync with Greatest Gen, and wow does this show look like absolute poo poo.

Edit: Oops, my monitor's hull plating was polarized

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

yeah but otoh they're wearing skintight color coded spandex suits and flying around in a combining vehicle that sells tons of toys, and meeting a new alien in a big rubbery suit every episode

That's right, Trek isn't anime, it's tokusatsu

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

Watching Enterprise for the first time, to stay in sync with Greatest Gen, and wow does this show look like absolute poo poo.

Edit: Oops, my monitor's hull plating was polarized

Enterprise starts looking a lot better when they added color to the show in its last season, the blue floor plates and more vibrant multi-colored blinking squares on the computer screens, Etc.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I haven't actually watched Enterprise in a while but I remember it looking like a huge step up visually. But that was before TNG was remastered of course. Just having any TV show in HD was kind of mind-blowing still.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
The ship and uniforms definitely felt more "real" in the plausible middle future sort of way

Some of the CGI looked dated immediately though

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah the CGI can be lacking but it really shows that it's possible to do 24 episodes of Star Trek a year with all the grind of sets and props and budget and make it look decent. Strange New Worlds is gorgeous but I think I'd rather have 18-24 episodes a year of good looking SNW than 10 episodes of gorgeous.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ENT had the most "these are garments that a human being could wear and use" uniforms in all of Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sash! posted:

ENT had the most "these are garments that a human being could wear and use" uniforms in all of Star Trek.

No joke, Enterprise has the best uniforms of any Trek series. Shame about the rest of it though.