Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

site posted:

it's probably because literally no one at the company other than maybe 5 or 10 people do any work at all and the fact that source 2 exists in any form is basically a miracle

remember how they absorbed two or three dev studios a few years back, including the one doing that egyptian adventure game that got a lot of attention, and then cancelled every game 2 months later
In the Valley of the Gods hasn't been cancelled, YET. It's still on hold, but I wouldn't hold my breath. One of the devs posts in the Adventure Game thread but he probably isn't allowed to discuss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Even Valve barely seems to want to do anything with Source these days, I wonder if their lack of games in recent years might be less them being lazy(though that certainly has a role) and more that their developers just hate working with Source and all its spaghetti code and don't want to use it but due to how central it is to their image as a developer they can't just abandon it for a new engine without causing some really bad optics so they instead just opt to not make games since they get unlimited income from Steam anyways and their corporate structure makes it easy for them to get away with being lazy fucks too
From the sounds of the Making of Alyx e-book thing, there was a ten year stretch where they were making a lot of different games, but none of them achieved escape velocity for one reason or another. This includes multiple iterations of Half-Life 3 (which had elements of proc-gen level design), multiple iterations of Left 4 Dead 3 (which was open-world and had base-building bits) and something called A.R.T.I. (which was voxels).

Frankly, I'm not sure a proc-gen Half-Life or a Left 4 Dead that was basically Fortnite Save The World would have gone down very well with the world at large.

Casimir Radon posted:

In the Valley of the Gods hasn't been cancelled, YET. It's still on hold, but I wouldn't hold my breath. One of the devs posts in the Adventure Game thread but he probably isn't allowed to discuss it.
It was officially Put On The Shelf to do Alyx, which means it'll either resurrect in an extremely different form when we least expect it or it'll be gutted for spare parts for something entirely unrelated. No middle ground.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It'll be Artifact 3.0

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Serephina posted:

edit2: And don't say Alyx, as mentioned above it's a pretty transparent push to get people into VR and nothing more

Saying this is dumb as poo poo. It's a transparent push to get people to VR in the same way Half Life was a transparent push to get people to buy PCs for video games and Half Life 2 was a transparent push to get people to install Steam.

Half Life Alyx is a full fledged Half Life game, the circumstances of it's creation do nothing to change that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

site posted:

it's probably because literally no one at the company other than maybe 5 or 10 people do any work at all and the fact that source 2 exists in any form is basically a miracle

remember how they absorbed two or three dev studios a few years back, including the one doing that egyptian adventure game that got a lot of attention, and then cancelled every game 2 months later

You'd think at that point they would just lay off everyone not involved with maintaining Steam and be done with it rather than have a bloated staff that does nothing productive

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SCheeseman posted:

Saying this is dumb as poo poo. It's a transparent push to get people to VR in the same way Half Life was a transparent push to get people to buy PCs for video games and Half Life 2 was a transparent push to get people to install Steam.

Half Life Alyx is a full fledged Half Life game, the circumstances of it's creation do nothing to change that.

When Quake and UT came out, you could run those things without graphics cards. It'd be a slideshow, but you could do it. Five years from now, I'm gonna sit down with my Geforce 6080, 2 TB of RAM, on a 10Ghz 16-core system... and still not be able to play Alyx without a VR set or unapproved reversed engineered mods.

That type of exclusivity is very deliberate. Alyx could be (is?) the second coming of Christ in its HL authenticity, but the choice of platform speaks volumes. Game development doesn't happen in a vacuum, and the circumstances of hardware support are extremely relevant. Relevant to the customer base, relevant to marketing, everything. I wonder how many HL fans are never gonna be able to play the game...

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Serephina posted:

When Quake and UT came out, you could run those things without graphics cards. It'd be a slideshow, but you could do it. Five years from now, I'm gonna sit down with my Geforce 6080, 2 TB of RAM, on a 10Ghz 16-core system... and still not be able to play Alyx without a VR set or unapproved reversed engineered mods.

That type of exclusivity is very deliberate. Alyx could be (is?) the second coming of Christ in its HL authenticity, but the choice of platform speaks volumes. Game development doesn't happen in a vacuum, and the circumstances of hardware support are extremely relevant. Relevant to the customer base, relevant to marketing, everything. I wonder how many HL fans are never gonna be able to play the game...
The choice of platform allowed them to tackle problems that they hadn't before, which is typical of Half Life games. They're showcases.

VR has a bunch of adoption barriers outside of price but US$299 plus a capable PC (which I would assume anyone who is wanting to play a Half Life video game would have by default) isn't very unreasonable, unless you're unwilling to touch Meta (admittedly reasonable). It sucks that it isn't more accessible, but Half Life targeting Playstation 1 in order to capture the largest audience possible at the time would have also crippled the game.

I'm glad they made Alyx, it's one of the best games I've ever played.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 6, 2022

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013
Honestly, the dos version of Quake 1 was playable under Windows 95 on a Pentium 133 with a normal 2d graphics card. It would be 320x240, or some resolution near it and sharpest playable resolution was 512x384.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sipping tea in your ivory towers talking about how you only needed a pentium to play Quake.

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013
Yeah, my brother paid stupid money for his computer back then. He was a university student back then and somehow had money (student loan) for a over ten thousand Finnish mark (2600 dollars). I had an Amiga 2000 back then and only FPSs that I had were Behind the Iron Gate and a demo of Cytadela.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

Sipping tea in your ivory towers talking about how you only needed a pentium to play Quake.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Br3instyrm posted:

Honestly, the dos version of Quake 1 was playable under Windows 95 on a Pentium 133 with a normal 2d graphics card. It would be 320x240, or some resolution near it and sharpest playable resolution was 512x384.

Well of course it was. When Quake launched software rendering was the only option, GLQuake wasn't released until half a year later. Hardware rendering wasn't built in until Quake2.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

On a whim decided to finally boot up Darkness 2 on PC, for a decade old game it still looks fantastic(indeed if they ever did a rerelease of it they would barely need to touch it up) though I'm noticing some odd stuttering issues, not sure if that's a OS compatibility issue or something else

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

On a whim decided to finally boot up Darkness 2 on PC, for a decade old game it still looks fantastic(indeed if they ever did a rerelease of it they would barely need to touch it up) though I'm noticing some odd stuttering issues, not sure if that's a OS compatibility issue or something else

whoa wtf I never realised this got ported to PC.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

whoa wtf I never realised this got ported to PC.

Near as I can tell it released about the same time as the console versions, no idea if the multiplayer mode still works though

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

*waiting intensifies*

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

It was a weird acquisition, given that since Portal 2, Valve has been focusing on multiplayer / live games, that produce higher revenue (with Alyx being the exception, but that was to prop up PC VR).

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 6, 2022

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Kinsie PLEASE make me play something that isn't Elden Ring for the last month

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

PLEASE make me play something that isn't Elden Ring for the next year

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'll take a break when I finish my first playthrough (going for a 100%) and I'm 130h in. I'll beat a bunch of games like Quantum Break (gifted by a goon) and others before of course dive right back to Miyazaki and GRRM's wet swamp dream :v:

Got a bunch of retro FPS to play from that Humble DAVE OSHRY bundle to "relax".

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

does it have a fishing weapon so you can reel enemies in

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Arivia posted:

does it have a fishing weapon so you can reel enemies in

Do you sincerely, no foolin' not know what Reelism is?

Reelism 1 GOLD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BowvffJX68

Reelism 2 (currently in 'early access', but the post you quoted was about it finally being released and I am puuuuuuuumped)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKynvrDxqmk

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Do you sincerely, no foolin' not know what Reelism is?

i don't see a fishing rod and reel in either trailer :colbert:

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Linguica posted:

I still play L4D2 on Expert Realism mode all the time. IMO it is for co-op what Doom 2 is for the single player FPS. Over the weekend I bought The Anacrusis to check it out and while it's obviously unfinished, it's still kind of striking that the goal of a 2022 game is basically "re-implement a less charming Left 4 Dead 1 with no PVP"

Too many co-op shooters try to insert features that just don't work for the genre. Back 4 Blood was especially bad with its card system that messed up the difficulty and pacing of the missions. Deep Rock Galactic is the only game that really gets it by keeping things simple and allowing players to jump in and experience the game with little hassle.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sadly, there is not a fishing minigame in Reelism 2. There is, however, a roving band of skeletons that chant "SKE! LE! TON!" in perfect sync.

In non-mod news, surprise! The Wheel of Time just got a re-release at GOG, courtesy of the Night Dive folks.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

In non-mod news, surprise! The Wheel of Time just got a re-release at GOG, courtesy of the Night Dive folks.

AES SEDAI WITCH!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

Sadly, there is not a fishing minigame in Reelism 2. There is, however, a roving band of skeletons that chant "SKE! LE! TON!" in perfect sync.

Oh weird, I never got far into that game but it def had some cool ideas and I didn't expect a rerelease.

Saw the last episode of the Amazon show and it looked terrible lol.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Why ya gotta tease me like this? :negative:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Guillermus posted:

Kinsie PLEASE make me play something that isn't Elden Ring for the last month

God you're telling me. There's just more, and more, and more--and people keep telling me I'm only like a 1/4th to a 1/3rd of the way through the game. I feel like I'm going to still be playing it and still uncovering new stuff in 3 months from now.

drrockso20 posted:

I felt the same way about it when I first played it back in 2019. I think it helps that it leaned on a more "cel shaded" art style that frequently ages well, whereas the original strongly reminds me of something like Condemned with its straightforward aesthetic immersed in stencil shadows. The original still has some cool set pieces though, like a version of hell manifested as endless trench warfare.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

It was a weird acquisition, given that since Portal 2, Valve has been focusing on multiplayer / live games, that produce higher revenue (with Alyx being the exception, but that was to prop up PC VR).
“Hey, you guys seem competent, wanna come over here and make incremental updates to Steam until you wish for death?”

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

“Hey, you guys seem competent, wanna come over here and make incremental updates to Steam until you wish for death?”

To be fair I'd take that over being trapped in the CoD or Battlefield DLC mines.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mordja posted:

Oh weird, I never got far into that game but it def had some cool ideas and I didn't expect a rerelease.

Saw the last episode of the Amazon show and it looked terrible lol.

the last episode or two of the first season are kinda weird since the showrunner wanted 10 eps instead of 8, it's overall pretty decent and better than i was expecting so far

in terms of the wheel of time fps it's only tangentially related to the book series but might be worth looking into if you wanna mess with a relic, lol, and this thread is the audience for that i guess

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC Wheel of Time was the very first Unreal engine license game, so at least it's a piece of history in that sense

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

haveblue posted:

IIRC Wheel of Time was the very first Unreal engine license game, so at least it's a piece of history in that sense
I thought that too, but looking at the dates, it looks like Klingon Honor Guard was first. Still among the humble beginnings of what would become something huge (and I'm not just talking about the filesizes of the UE5 example assets! seriously, 85gb, are you kidding me here)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Do they play the ROTT knee knocking xylophone sound effect when they die? Also what happened to dog pope? So many questions

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

Do they play the ROTT knee knocking xylophone sound effect when they die? Also what happened to dog pope? So many questions
There's a small chance of the xylophone sound, yes!

The previous version of Reelism 2 from back in December 2020 has Dog Pope II, who's pretty fun to fight!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think the longer we go without klingon honor guard having a remaster the better off humanity will be

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Kins posted:

I thought that too, but looking at the dates, it looks like Klingon Honor Guard was first. Still among the humble beginnings of what would become something huge (and I'm not just talking about the filesizes of the UE5 example assets! seriously, 85gb, are you kidding me here)

In my hazy memories of 20+ years ago, Wheel of Time was revealed first but KHG made it out first

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

There's a small chance of the xylophone sound, yes!

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Doom E1M1 fully voxel-ed; not sure if I should call it impressive or cursed:
https://twitter.com/DanielWienerson/status/1511458726317682692