Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

What kind of games are people playing with 1000 count sets? I have 1817 and a 500-piece set and have never come close to running out. I also have C2C but lol at actually playing that one.

Which style do you use, Chill. Blank or marked chips? 13.5g? How many denominations and how do you split them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Chill la Chill posted:

What kind of games are people playing with 1000 count sets? I have 1817 and a 500-piece set and have never come close to running out. I also have C2C but lol at actually playing that one.

I have no idea, but even Shadow was mentioning they wanted a 1000 piece set and I'm sure Clearclaw has a 1000 piece set, he's discussed it. CoffeeRunner (Rebecca Carpenter) in the Seattle 18xx group also has a 1000 piece set. For me, the set is like way too heavy, trying to lug that around would be awful.

Non denomination sets are considered superior to poker sets because poker sets have 25's and 25's aren't great for 18xx games. 20's are way more convenient in terms of buys, sells, and payouts. It really does make a difference.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
You only need 1000 chip sets for like, c2c and oe. Everything else does fine with a 300-400 chip set, though you need the right distribution. From JC's profile:

code:
        Count	Value	Total	Sum
White	75         1	   75	   75
Red	73         5	  365	  440
Gray	78        20     1560	2,000
Black	50       100     5000	7,000
Purple	36       500	18000  25,000

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think the 25s vs 20s preference is overblown. It’s bad for change but I just use 10s and never 25s. My poker set has denominations and a split of something like 75/75/50/50/50/25/25/25 of 1/5/10/25/100/500/1000. Mighty even be 3 or 400, was $30. Expensive chips are a one-time conspicuous consumption lifetime purchase. It’s fine as much as getting a ridiculous deluxe jumbo version of your favorite harbor baron game is. Personally I’d rather get more and more ridiculous priority deal markers. Need an 18CT (Cthulhu trains) with a lawn ornament.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Max posted:

A note for anyone looking to buy a physical copy of an 18XX game, 18Ches comes with paper money but all other published 18XX games require you to have poker chips, which are superior in every way to paper money anyway.

"All" isn't at true at all. Handmade games don't include it, but anything with higher production values than one man w/ a laminator and a die cutter includes its own bank. I don't know about other mass produced games from All Aboard (who did 18Chess), but Fox in Box (18CZ, 1824), Lookout (1830), Grand Trunk Games (1861/67), and GMT (1846, 1862) all include a bundle with their games, even though it's (relatively) expensive and (usually) useless. If there's any chance at all of people picking it off a shelf at a game shop, it'll have everything you need to play.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Don't play with the paper money

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I've always wanted to get a bunch of the quarter-sized (as in $0.25) mini poker chips but shipping to Canada is :stonk:

Plus I have no one to play 18xx with physically anyway so it's always low priority!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

CommonShore posted:

Don't play with the paper money

True, anything that you can grab off a shelf will maybe have money, but from experience, paper money for these games is bad. Poker chips stack on charters a lot better.

Are just go all the way and use a computer spreadsheet and remove any need for physical money I suppose.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

FulsomFrank posted:

I will not stand by idly while the honour of my beloved Patchwork is sullied

Have you tried Nova Luna yet? I think I like it more.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I think the 25s vs 20s preference is overblown. It’s bad for change but I just use 10s and never 25s. My poker set has denominations and a split of something like 75/75/50/50/50/25/25/25 of 1/5/10/25/100/500/1000. Mighty even be 3 or 400, was $30. Expensive chips are a one-time conspicuous consumption lifetime purchase. It’s fine as much as getting a ridiculous deluxe jumbo version of your favorite harbor baron game is. Personally I’d rather get more and more ridiculous priority deal markers. Need an 18CT (Cthulhu trains) with a lawn ornament.

Buying non marked poker chips is conspicuous consumption really???? Geezus. That's just wrong, Chill. All of gaming is 'conspicuous consumption'!!!!!

I'm sorry but having had a lifetime of men mansplaining what I should and shouldn't do really irks me. Please back away from the labels, I'd appreciate it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
isn't this the thread where we all posted pictures of our board game shelves lmao

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Impermanent posted:

isn't this the thread where we all posted pictures of our board game shelves lmao

My shelves are totally hosed after the move, haven't decided what to do about that exactly.....

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Infinitum posted:

For Kickstarter chat a bunch of cool poo poo just dropped.

These ones caught my eye, but I haven't had a good chance to look at:
Mini Rogue - This is currently top of my "Do I want to back a solo game for $50+ AUD" list

Pitch and Plakks - Customisable mini-golf. Might be a good kids pickup?

Tales of BarBEARia - Dice placement battle bears? :nyoron:

The Whatnot Cabinet - This has been getting some good reports from what I've been reading, and looks very chill

Communist Cats - Not sure if it's any good, but that artwork is delightful :allears:

Die in the Dungeon - Play a monster, roll die, and beat up heroes!

Your Friend is Sad - Do you like Shencomix? Well he made board game. If nothing else it has this meeple

(Kinda want that meeple)

--------------------------------------

Some good looking ones some friends of mine might be interested in. the Mini Rogue looks worth poking at.
Also, people can still pledge for War of Whispers. SUSD seemed to love it.
Some are salty as no real rewards for previous backers but eh?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I bought expensive chips because I'm dumb with money and regret nothing. I don't see myself going over a 300 count set since all of my train games are pretty close to the 1830's size.

e: unmarked > marked, and 20s > 25s

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mayveena posted:

Buying non marked poker chips is conspicuous consumption really???? Geezus. That's just wrong, Chill. All of gaming is 'conspicuous consumption'!!!!!

I'm sorry but having had a lifetime of men mansplaining what I should and shouldn't do really irks me. Please back away from the labels, I'd appreciate it.

Oh, it's not that. Clearclaw was specifically mentioned and I know of a bunch of other 18xx people who will talk endlessly about their 0.40c+ chip sets.

I love this series of video, specifically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJCYutS9gEo

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Kosher man posted:

Have you tried Nova Luna yet? I think I like it more.

I had never heard of this until now and I'm very interested. Can you talk about it a little bit? I'm getting more Azul vibes from it than Patchwork but I admit it could be the colours.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Max posted:

True, anything that you can grab off a shelf will maybe have money, but from experience, paper money for these games is bad. Poker chips stack on charters a lot better.

Are just go all the way and use a computer spreadsheet and remove any need for physical money I suppose.

Heavy Cardboard did a playthrough of 1846 where they did a teach of spreadsheeting. (They still passed out chips each round.)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh, it's not that. Clearclaw was specifically mentioned and I know of a bunch of other 18xx people who will talk endlessly about their 0.40c+ chip sets.

I love this series of video, specifically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJCYutS9gEo

OK Chill, thanks for the clarification. You just don't know how many men try to tell me what I should be doing, buying, the way I should wear my hair etc etc etc

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

FulsomFrank posted:

I had never heard of this until now and I'm very interested. Can you talk about it a little bit? I'm getting more Azul vibes from it than Patchwork but I admit it could be the colours.

I wouldn't really liken it to Azul. I haven't really played other puzzle games like it but I also don't own a ton of abstract games. If you enjoy patchwork I would really really recommend it. In a two player game it can be a really great brain burner. I've played it 3 player as well and still really enjoy it but you have less control over where the moon marker will on your turn. The theme is pretty much slapped onto the game but no surprise there. There is also a solo play mode which is pretty good and is all about getting lowest score you can. BGG has a youtube video up with a good little walk through and solo play game which will all do a better job of explaining it then me.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

If you play online you can just use a spreadsheet, no chips needed!

Has the added bonus of looking like you're busy at work :getin:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

To be clear, I want a 1000 piece set for poker; a 500 piece set should suffice for any board game. Found a set I liked, but shipping alone was 40 bucks which uh, no.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

There's a pretty good repository of spreadsheets that automate things pretty well, I've gotten used to it. It's helpful to see at a glance what your actual total valuation is based on the value of your stocks.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Frozen Peach posted:

So a week ago I submitted my first game, Walking Doggos, to an itch.io bundle, expecting nothing to come out of it, other than being a show of support for the protests. There were 25 games on the list when I submitted.

https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-racial-justice-and-equality

Now there's nearly 1500 games in the bundle and it's made $3 million. There's a lot of really good tabletop RPGS and some print and play card games to check out, along with some heavy hitter video games like Night in the Woods.

Walking Doggos alone has had over 1100 downloads in the few days it's been available. I'm blown away.

Hey, it's cool that your game is getting some recognition in the bundle! I'm still working my way through the 50+ and counting download pages, I'll keep an eye out for Walking Doggos.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Infinitum posted:

Hey all, just want to say thank you very much for all the 18xx chat. I will 100% be talking with my various groups to see if I can get enough people to a table in the future to play ~something~ 18xx related.

Someone else posted it too, but 18xx.games is a new website that has two games that are good base experiences without too many unique rules. The interface is mobile friendly, supports asynchronous play, and enforces most of the rules (but is still in beta). It also has a tutorial for the user interface if you have trouble, but its very straightforward.

Getting in a voice call with people and playing live has been a great experience, but async still sucks because each stock round is a huge speed bump. It's not so bad in the endgame though.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, it's cool that your game is getting some recognition in the bundle! I'm still working my way through the 50+ and counting download pages, I'll keep an eye out for Walking Doggos.

Thanks. It's such a small show of support for such a great cause. I feel guilty getting anything out of it.

In other news... Origins Online was scheduled for next weekend and the entire game industry is rioting against GAMA. It's amazing to watch.

https://kotaku.com/board-gamings-industry-body-refuses-to-say-a-word-about-1843990186

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Holy hell. No one knows what the internal reason is yet?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Holy hell. No one knows what the internal reason is yet?

GAMA has made no statements what so ever. They had an "emergency meeting" at some point tonight, but as of now have not made any statements.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

They just made their statement and it's really bad.

https://twitter.com/DannyPlaysGamez/status/1270930693124771843

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That statement itself seems good, but the context of only putting it out once their pockets were drying up makes it really pathetic.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

GAMA is just so 20th century.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
They only made a statement when they literally didn't have enough people left to actually run Origins Online. :nallears:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
If you thought "Black Lives Matter is really important, and it's inappropriate to run this now", would YOU phrase it:

"We currently cant run the con, but even if we could, we shouldn't".

Like is that how you would structure that comment? I dunno, I mean maybe it's just reading too much into it on my part, but, it reads to me like "We cant do it because of the protests, BUT we support them anyway". Like kind of complaining about it? I don't really know what this con / thing is at all, I have no interest in it, but it just kinda stuck out to me as ... not how I would have written a notice like that?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fellis posted:

Someone else posted it too, but 18xx.games is a new website that has two games that are good base experiences without too many unique rules. The interface is mobile friendly, supports asynchronous play, and enforces most of the rules (but is still in beta). It also has a tutorial for the user interface if you have trouble, but its very straightforward.

Getting in a voice call with people and playing live has been a great experience, but async still sucks because each stock round is a huge speed bump. It's not so bad in the endgame though.

Hey nice, thanks for the link.

I've been doing a game of 1830 on rr18 and it's been brutal. I think the only time these things work is if everyone is sitting around at their machine during the day and taking their turns in semi-real time. I've done a few FCM like that and it was quite nice, especially with the computer doing the math for everything.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mayveena posted:

GAMA is just so 20th century.

I was trying to find the words to describe their terrible lack of agility and "20th century" is it. GAMA's behavior is completely nuts to me. Tom Vasel was getting roasted last week for not wanting to wade in, and he's just a guy with a popular platform that people think could do some good, not a literal industry organization with significant importance. I guess they hought they could skate one last time.

I try not to make a habit of watching DT stuff, but I saw that Eric Lang had a serious chat with Tom about this, which was pretty enlightening to a well-meaning white dipshit like me.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

So if I understand correctly, people were bringing up how Origins Online shouldn't be held right now, GAMA said "we're still doing it", and they only changed their mind after a bunch of people walked out on running it in protest?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My take away was that a lot of people were upset by GAMAs lack of anything in solidarity with BLM movement and participating POC and others in the board game media/companies walked because of that, forcing GAMA to cancel and then put out a statement making it sound like they chose to cancel in support of the moment and as Eric Lang said, that paints them in a better light and erases the actions of the POC in the process.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 11, 2020

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Anyone have any of the best games on tabletop sim? Scripted if possible. I'm really desperate for a board game lately.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Jarvisi posted:

Anyone have any of the best games on tabletop sim? Scripted if possible. I'm really desperate for a board game lately.
Some absolute champions have compiled a Steam collection of the best mods for each of the BGG Top 500.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2086043930

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Spirit Island has a scripted mod that is pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

The Origins Game Fair in October has been cancelled as of today as well. The official statement says because of COVID, but I'm sure the events of the last few days affected the decision as well.