Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Markie's map there is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

This is an engine setting. Go to Options > Mouse Options > Mouse in Menus. Change it from "Touchscreen-like" to "Yes".

Oh my god, thank you!

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013
Just love everything in Reelism, but man it sure does bring my ancient machine to its knees, especially on the bigger maps.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Wing It (the mod that makes the enemies fly) provides the enemies with the all-powerful ability to cause massive framedrops. I love it.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Don't know if this is a Reelism 2 or GZDoom bug, but when selecting an arena from the town the mouse position appears to be scaled in some way that causes menu options other than the one the cursor is hovering over to be selected.

The new game menu does not have this issue, it's only the zone entry in the town. The shopkeeper/dialogue menus in town are also fine.

EDIT: On closer inspection, it does happen with shopkeepers and dialogue too, but only when there are options that are more than one line of text.

Peewi fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 17, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Peewi posted:

Don't know if this is a Reelism 2 or GZDoom bug, but when selecting an arena from the town the mouse position appears to be scaled in some way that causes menu options other than the one the cursor is hovering over to be selected.

The new game menu does not have this issue, it's only the zone entry in the town. The shopkeeper/dialogue menus in town are also fine.

EDIT: On closer inspection, it does happen with shopkeepers and dialogue too, but only when there are options that are more than one line of text.

Yeah, I have this issue too, separate from my "Touchscreen" mouse issue, which was solved above.

Edit: how, outside of getting gud, do you best Dog Hell?!

How? :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 17, 2022

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Reelism 2 owns.

Pat yourself on the back and give yourself a nice, long vacation Kinsie. You guys nailed it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If I sit around playing Reelism more than I already have been, soon enough I'll be 300 pounds.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Kins posted:

Anyway, here's some cool new stuff that I didn't do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th0ZwUrQRbI

yo that jump kick

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I have this issue too, separate from my "Touchscreen" mouse issue, which was solved above.

Edit: how, outside of getting gud, do you best Dog Hell?!

How? :negative:

With a whole bunch of points gained from a previous map:

-Buy the superarmor/health/backpack that the corner peasant sells
-Get the 2nd Chance from the Archvile hanging out behind the labs
-Purchase all the pogos/distancers/juice you can hold from the market

With whatever's left of your money, grab anti-dog weapons and enough ammo to last you the waves. The best performers for me consisted of:

-Twin SMGS & that D!Zone rifle that shoots as fast as you can click
-Sawblade Launcher
-Lightning Gun cause that stun alt-fire is pretty great
-Neptune's Gauntlet/The rock one, both are p. good
-Pretty much anything from the Porkshop Sandwiches reel

From there on it's just a lot of circle-strafing and watching out for Dog Guardians.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Hey if anyone is bored... I've got another update pending for the Quake singleplayer starter pack, and it has some changes in it that I'd like to get some external testing on. If anyone checks it out and can verify that stuff works (or tell me if it doesn't) then you can message me here, or drop me an email using the address at the bottom of http://quakestarter.com

The pending changes for this update aren't live on the website yet, I've got them available here: https://jkb-hosting.s3.amazonaws.com/temp/quakestarter-2.5.0-beta.zip

Mainly for this release I've been seeing how I should deal with the fact that someone might have the "enhanced" Quake rerelease installed on their computer. I've modified the auto-Quake-setup assistant to be able to find and copy music tracks from the prerelease. I've also added checksumming for pak files to make sure it _doesn't_ grab pak files from the rerelease (since those are different from the originals).

So the things I'm curious about are:

• If you have the original (not rerelease) Quake installed somewhere on the computer, does Quakestarter find it OK and offer to copy the pak files?
  • If you have the Quake rerelease installed, does Quakestarter find it OK and offer to copy the music tracks?
  • If you have the Quake rerelease installed, does Quakestarter correctly NOT offer to copy its pak files?

(Note that a Steam install will give you BOTH the original and the rerelease.)

Also -- not related to the any of the above stuff -- I'm wondering how Quakestarter works on Windows 11. I could go to the trouble of setting up a Windows 11 VM maybe buuuuut I'm pretty sure it will work fine, so I'd really be happy just for some Windows 11 user to tell me "ya cool".

Anyway yeah, if you have anything good or bad to tell me, please let me know along with what version of Windows you are running and where other Quake installations (if any) are on your computer.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i was happy to test it for you because quakestarter is awesome and i really appreciate all the work you did to make the setup process as easy as possible. i am on windows 11 pro x64 21h1 and your beta release works perfectly. i installed the remaster from steam and the quakestarter configurator picked up all the data files and music for the main game and both expansions and copied them over fine. no issues at all that i could see. and yes it copied the data files from the base folders, not \rerelease

Weedle fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 18, 2022

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

JLaw posted:

Hey if anyone is bored... I've got another update pending for the Quake singleplayer starter pack, and it has some changes in it that I'd like to get some external testing on. If anyone checks it out and can verify that stuff works (or tell me if it doesn't) then you can message me here, or drop me an email using the address at the bottom of http://quakestarter.com

The pending changes for this update aren't live on the website yet, I've got them available here: https://jkb-hosting.s3.amazonaws.com/temp/quakestarter-2.5.0-beta.zip

I tried it and it couldn't find any of the files at all.

I'm on Windows 11 Home version 21H2
I have Quake on Steam
My installation is in a Steam library folder, on a different drive from Steam itself. Just to be thorough, my full Quake path is D:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Quake

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Peewi posted:

I tried it and it couldn't find any of the files at all.

I'm on Windows 11 Home version 21H2
I have Quake on Steam
My installation is in a Steam library folder, on a different drive from Steam itself. Just to be thorough, my full Quake path is D:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Quake

A common mistake. When checking for Steam libraries, the program needs to scan the install locations inside \Steam\config\libraryfolders.vdf, not just the registry key of where Steam is installed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/dzierzan23/status/1515437444098887686

Anyone tried this?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Grimthwacker posted:

Reelism 2 owns.

Pat yourself on the back and give yourself a nice, long vacation Kinsie. You guys nailed it.
Thanks! Before I do, though, we've kicked out an update with various bugfixes, tweaks and bits of extra polish. This should be the last one for a little bit, fate and the higher power of your choice willing. It's probably stable. Maybe.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Rocket Pan posted:

A common mistake. When checking for Steam libraries, the program needs to scan the install locations inside \Steam\config\libraryfolders.vdf, not just the registry key of where Steam is installed.

I'll put that on my to do list. 😉

Thanks folks!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

IMO they did a great job but I like the 8000-16000 hz samples. They give those games a distinct sonic palette.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Gaspy Conana posted:

IMO they did a great job but I like the 8000-16000 hz samples. They give those games a distinct sonic palette.

Agreed. I actually don't like a few of the high quality ones because it reveals some aspects of the original sound bites that are really displeasing to the ear. Like the original crunch sound (when blowing up an enemy or they get squished by your boot, etc) is super satisfying, but the high quality one sounds legitimately disgusting and....wet :barf:

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
yeah, it's the audio version of 4k texture upscale packs.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Worst part of Duke forever was the higher quality voice clips. Duke isn’t Duke unless he sounds compressed and sort of blown out (of your rear end)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Kins posted:

This should be the last one for a little bit, fate and the higher power of your choice willing.
Fate was not willing. Instead it told me that one of the people who contributed to the mod was a, uh, not very good person that I'm no longer comfortable associating with. So I replaced their stuff with a fun bonus map from the archives by fellow Goon Shadow Hog, who I am incredibly grateful to for helping save the day on short notice. Grab the new version, go to the Hell Circus and play Block Fort in his honor.

Okay, now I can stop posting about this mod for a while. Anything good for Quake come out recently?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Kins posted:

Fate was not willing. Instead it told me that one of the people who contributed to the mod was a, uh, not very good person that I'm no longer comfortable associating with.

was it sgtmark

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Weedle posted:

was it sgtmark

I realize this is probably a joke but I'd be really surprised if Kins, of all people, had no prior idea of how bad Sgt Mark is.

Like... I'm Doom-community-adjacent (far removed) and even I'm aware of that guy's poo poo.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
RIP that Madden 97 remix

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 18, 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
where is the goddamn basketball stadium

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

verbal enema posted:

where is the goddamn basketball stadium
I had an update for it for Reelism [1] that never ended up shipping; I'm tempted to polish it up a smidgen again for Reelism 2 compatibility (namely, I added some gags in the corners that reference monster types that are no longer in the game, so those need to be redone, and the 999 reel will need to be converted to ZScript) and release it as an optional add-on. I mean, I'm the only one I really need to ask for permission on that, so...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
PUT THE GODDAMN BASKETBALL STADIUM IN!!!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shadow Hog posted:

I had an update for it for Reelism [1] that never ended up shipping; I'm tempted to polish it up a smidgen again for Reelism 2 compatibility (namely, I added some gags in the corners that reference monster types that are no longer in the game, so those need to be redone, and the 999 reel will need to be converted to ZScript) and release it as an optional add-on. I mean, I'm the only one I really need to ask for permission on that, so...

I give you permission, Shadow Hog.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder if we'll get a Unity version of Quake II sometime this year. It's the 25th anniversary in December. God that makes me feel old because I have distinct memories of buying it from Best Buy.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wonder if we'll get a Unity version of Quake II sometime this year. It's the 25th anniversary in December. God that makes me feel old because I have distinct memories of buying it from Best Buy.

I was 17 when it came out and it was the end of the era when my computer could play new games. I had a 486DX4/100 that could play Quake 1, but barely, and Quake 2 just wasn’t happening. Couldn’t play it until like 2006 or so.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Quake II was the first game I ever remember thinking had a massive hard drive storage requirement because it needed about 400MB for a full install, in an era where my entire hard drive was like 4GB.

chaosapiant posted:

I was 17 when it came out and it was the end of the era when my computer could play new games. I had a 486DX4/100 that could play Quake 1, but barely, and Quake 2 just wasn’t happening. Couldn’t play it until like 2006 or so.
You had a 486 until 2006? :wtc:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I didn’t play Q2 until last year, beyond a short rental of the N64 version. I enjoyed it but not really looking to play it again any time soon.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

q2 is meh. give me more add ons for the q1 remaster

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

TOOT BOOT posted:

Why Unity? Would that even be technically possible?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Rocket Pan posted:

If Atlus can load half the SMT Nocturne disc as a huge loving IL2CP blob in Unity, the sky is the limit!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
We got a new computer and Q2 shortly after, followed quickly by internet access for the first time so Q2 multiplayer was my first real regular PC deathmatch experience, I played on heat.net all the time and met a few people I still think about from time to time.

Anyway this was before I was aware of WASD controls and they certainly weren't default, so my main scheme was almost all right hand, with +walk on mouse2 and I think I bound walking backwards to z or something? CTRL maybe? I wouldn't strafe but I'd run straight at the enemy and then back out at an angle like I was driving a loving car around. Got good enough for a couple guilds to poach me.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

What engine did they use for the remasters from the past several years? I thought it was Unity...I know they're just not just updated versions of the original engines.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rocket Pan posted:

I'd imagine, if it happens, it would be in Kex with you guys doing it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

What engine did they use for the remasters from the past several years? I thought it was Unity...I know they're just not just updated versions of the original engines.

The recent Doom ports are Unity (kinda!) but Q1 and D64 are Kex