Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Z3n posted:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9dd_1295772850

Turn your volume down, but goddamn.

What a stupid gently caress, he froze and just rammed into the wall after he took out the biker.

Then he checks out the damage to his car instead of checking on the people that he just hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion

schreibs posted:

Then he checks out the damage to his car instead of checking on the people that he just hit.

This is pretty much par for the course in Taiwan. I saw a cab driver cut off a scooter rider and force her head-on into a telephone pole one time. She went flying through the air, did a full flip, landed on her back, and skidded. He checked out his bumper, and then started yelling at her to be more careful.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Christ, dumb poo poo like that would have me seeing red. They ought to give the guy a few "accident related injuries" before the authorities show up.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Armyman25 posted:

Australian biker gang funeral procession, circa 1975.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOCIVvxR-50&feature=related

Look at these people who haven't seen Stone. Piss-poor.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Two months till NETRA round 2. My favorite race as it's the biggest poo poo hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ij3SLIHEw

14 miles of joy. All the guys race this one, even if they're not in the series they sign up for the sportsman class.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Look at these people who haven't seen Stone. Piss-poor.

I didn't realize the Toecutter was actually a bikie prior to Mad Max.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6rXy6WjMG8&NR=1

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Z3n posted:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9dd_1295772850

Turn your volume down, but goddamn.

I think i've driven that road... or many like it. theyre all like that in taiwan. sometimes only 1 lane.

Russian Bear posted:

I always try to overtake into a blind corner :v:

yeah the taiwanese do that. especially trucks.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IbMA1c_aZo

Got mud?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ZccvWaLDM

A stellar example of how not to ride. 2 up.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Can't impress the lady on the back unless you're dropping knees.

Look like a fun road, though.

Content -

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 26, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Christoff posted:

Can't impress the lady on the back unless you're dropping knees.

Look like a fun road, though.

The commentary is my favorite part.

Also, I'm not sure what he target fixated on. The inside of the corner? The pole? I can't even make any sense of his choices for lines.

And all of that an he still managed to get an exhaust on his R6 before crashing it. Needs that extra powa, yo! :v:

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

haha he had no idea where he wanted to ride on the road. There was absolutely no reason to cross the double yellow with his speed, he was just too scared to lean with a passenger I am guessing.

edit:

:downs: you wanna ride with him?

:nyd: ya.

schreibs fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 26, 2011

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

Also, I'm not sure what he target fixated on. The inside of the corner? The pole? I can't even make any sense of his choices for lines.

And all of that an he still managed to get an exhaust on his R6 before crashing it. Needs that extra powa, yo! :v:

At least it looks like he provided a kind of pillow for her to hit so she didn't get hurt as badly.

Or maybe she's just not a pussy like he is? It's hard to tell.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
"Dude I went in that hole in the corner!!! :downs:" That's not target fixation, that's a guy on a bike with a big fear of corners.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

One thing I don't like about terms such as "target fixation", "loss of traction", "apexed too early" etc is that it gives the idiot some technical, fancy terms to dress up what is simply and clearly "lovely riding".

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

One thing I don't like about terms such as "target fixation", "loss of traction", "apexed too early" etc is that it gives the idiot some technical, fancy terms to dress up what is simply and clearly "lovely riding".

This is true. Too bad, that was a nice bike. :(

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ZccvWaLDM

A stellar example of how not to ride. 2 up.

His co-rider is an absolute oval office. His friend has just been involved in a serious accident and all he is concerned with is dicking around with the bike. He tries to pull him up when he clutching his back, can barely move and is crying out in pain. He then starts the bike up, which may have suffered significant damage (besides the bent wheel) in the crash and could be unsafe to ride.

To top it all off, he expects him to ride back, minutes after crashing, on a clearly damaged bike. Not safe at the best of times, but especially when you are disorientated and IN loving AGONY.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Forty Two posted:

His co-rider is an absolute oval office. His friend has just been involved in a serious accident and all he is concerned with is dicking around with the bike. He tries to pull him up when he clutching his back, can barely move and is crying out in pain. He then starts the bike up, which may have suffered significant damage (besides the bent wheel) in the crash and could be unsafe to ride.

To top it all off, he expects him to ride back, minutes after crashing, on a clearly damaged bike. Not safe at the best of times, but especially when you are disorientated and IN loving AGONY.

Pretty much this. There's a lot of retardation going on there, but when he's just crawling around on the road on all fours and his "friend" is loving with the bike, it borders on bizarre.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Let's go. She's gotta be at work.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
When you don't care that your very unskilled friend is riding his girl around on a new bike, you're not really going to star caring when the friend's in pain.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Speaking of target fixation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR816Iyikrs

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Jesus christ he just straightened up and went right towards the car wtf is wrong with people.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrZig posted:

Incredible. I feel sorry for the people in the car.

I've experienced the "oh poo poo car" jiggle many times and have sort of figured a way to deal with it. Even though I'm usually slow enough or well placed enough to not have a really close call, I still do a little jiggle. Brownest moment was 2 up, girl with expensive camera on the back, around a blind corner, "oh poo poo tourist bus", expensive lens bumped on my helmet as I white knuckled the brake ending up with the bus 10 cm from my left handlebar and the 1 ft cement wall protecting us from a nice drop 10 cm from the tires.

In my rider's training we were taught to stay wide and apex late. This guy is doing the opposite, hugging the inside of his turn and then going wide. If he started wide he would've seen the car earlier and his escape route would in the worst case be simply tightening up the turn. Or most likely he would be on his escape route already, cutting in and away from the car.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Forty Two posted:

He doesnt look in agony. When i pranged my car i was the same. cursing and swearing at how ive just hosed up my vehicle and what i was going to do from there. how do you get home, how do you get to work, i havnt even paid it off yet. gently caress!

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

schreibs posted:

:downs: you wanna ride with him?

:nyd: ya.

Did no one else catch her bonk him in the helmet like "you dumb rear end" right after they stopped crashing and the vid went back up to full speed? I was :lol: at that part.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Kommando posted:

He doesnt look in agony. When i pranged my car i was the same. cursing and swearing at how ive just hosed up my vehicle and what i was going to do from there. how do you get home, how do you get to work, i havnt even paid it off yet. gently caress!

Dude fell over while trying to get up a couple of times and had clearly injured his arm

And that's definitely not target fixation but garden-variety "doing it wrong"

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Silver posted:

Did no one else catch her bonk him in the helmet like "you dumb rear end" right after they stopped crashing and the vid went back up to full speed? I was :lol: at that part.

I was actually going to cite that as part of the retardation going on, but then realized it was the only logical thing to have taken place in the whole video.

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
By the way - here's the whole BARF thread for that video:

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357755

Some guy on BARF posted:

This guy came into the local cyclegear and was looking for a brain bucket for his girl... luckily the salesman there talked him into a fullface. But when he told him she'd probably need more gear like a jacket and gloves, this tool says she doesn't need it.... Check out all his other "badass" stunt videos.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coredump posted:

You know I'm starting to notice between you and a few others that if something doesn't fit in your narrow confines of what you think a motorcycle should be you guys bitch about it. It gets tiring after a while.

Its not that, I'm certainly all over the map about things I like and dont like, its that I've been watching bikes long enough to know how it will turn out. A million people have done the front swingarm before, and its never as good as traditional forks. Its the same reason I said that 2.4L V6 crazy bike probably wont be as fast as a Hayabusa despite having way more power. There have also been a million people who made crazy bikes with the intention of beating Bike X at Task X, and most times they fall short and are nothing more than a flash in the pan.

Its not that I dont like things that dont fit whatever views I have, its that the motorcycle world is an endlessly cycling (lol) pool of general designs that pop up every once in a while, and after a while you just know how it will turn out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The thing about development of stuff like different front ends is that standard forks have so much time and money invested in them, they're basically leaps and bounds ahead of anything else. A swingarm type front end might be technically superior, but it has to battle with years of chassis development and racers trained on standard forks. It's an uphill battle that gets more uphill ever year. I think Ron Haslam on the ELF swingarmed bike claimed that there were advantages there, but there just wasn't enough time to make it work right because they were striking out in a completely new direction and needed a lot of time and data to make it work better than what they already had.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

Kommando posted:

He can barely stand and is bent over in pain. I know what it's like to wreck a car and I know the sickening feeling very well. However, I was not lurching about, looking like I was about to pass out.

Even if he was physically ok, he's not going to be calm and collected when he's riding. All he will be thinking about is the crash and his concentration will be severly impaired.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

I thought he was simply going wide on the turns, either cause he's new or whatever. It looked like he was uncomfortable with where his passenger's weight was, but who knows. We only have a few seconds to judge. He goes over the double yellow first, running the turn wide, then runs next one wide as well, finally "target fixating" on the pole. It could be he was just running wide (and possibly doing it the whole time as he described it on the video as "coming out of the ez turns"). When he ran wide the last time it was too tight of a turn and too short till the next turn, so he simply ran out of road.

Gnaghi posted:

Jesus christ he just straightened up and went right towards the car wtf is wrong with people.

An MSF instructor or someone else when warning me about target fixation/running hot and wide in a turn said something to the effect of "Train yourself not to think, just push it a little harder. After all, one way is guaranteed to end in a wreck, the other you might get lucky." I've had a few times myself where I've had it happen and that's stuck with me, and since I'm like 95% of riders and not riding near the limit of the bike, I've come out okay. This poor guy didn't, he just froze. Just push it a little harder man.

Tired of edit, brain no work from school, hope sentences flow make sense now.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 27, 2011

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

MrZig posted:

I feel like I just watched a suicide attempt. What the gently caress was that?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Paytizzle posted:

I feel like I just watched a suicide attempt. What the gently caress was that?

I'm guessing he panicked and hit his front brakes which had the effect of up-righting the bike and then target fixated on the car.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

I thought he was simply going wide on the turns, either cause he's new or whatever. It looked like he was uncomfortable with where his passenger's weight was, but who knows. We only have a few seconds to judge. He goes over the double yellow first, running the turn wide, then runs next one wide as well, finally "target fixating" on the pole. It could be he was just running wide (and possibly doing it the whole time as he described it on the video as "coming out of the ez turns"). When he ran wide the last time it was too tight of a turn and too short till the next turn, so he simply ran out of road.

I would have liked to see the footage leading up to the crash.

And yeah, video 2 is target fixation in a huge way.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMvHNeFEzmw&feature=channel
A short 6 minute film narrated by Keith Buckley from Every Time I Die following a 500 mile ride he took with friends in CA. If this has already been posted, I apologize, I haven't really been following the thread like I used to.

Their are a few gems of Keith showing off how talented and intelligent a writer he is in what is said, but what I noticed from it most is it really is spoken in the way that my mind thought whenever I would go on a longer motorcycle ride. Regardless its a fun watch.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b51L0-4-x-U&feature=player_embedded

Jesus. He was going pretty drat fast.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Forty Two posted:

Even if he was physically ok, he's not going to be calm and collected when he's riding. All he will be thinking about is the crash and his concentration will be severly impaired.

This is a gigantic problem even in cars. Spin a car and have a near miss and starting back up again and you're going to be missing shifts and crossing the center line and getting tunnel vision.
It's one of the worst feelings. Ugh.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
these were in the related videos. figured they were worth bringing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H51OGH12R_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezAKnuUfq1Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

nsaP posted:

An MSF instructor or someone else when warning me about target fixation/running hot and wide in a turn said something to the effect of "Train yourself not to think, just push it a little harder. After all, one way is guaranteed to end in a wreck, the other you might get lucky."

While he has a point, you most certainly need to think. Fighting target fixation, heaving up your dead gaze from the object of your undoing, forcing your eyes to look at the clear road and allowing your hands to steer the bike towards it is an incredibly conscious and deliberate action the first times you experience it. Look, lean and believe!

Whenever you go slightly fast through corners you can practice this. It will not be second nature the first time you need it but you will be surprised how big the margins are.