Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm planning on picking up the Asus xonar dsx because I read that USB boxes could be unreliable. It doesn't have the toslink port on the bracket but comes with a small adapter apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Don Dongington posted:

Just FYI, most sound cards have lovely spdif codec passthrough support too. My $130AUD Sonar U7 24/192 audiophile wankbox only wants to do pcm 2ch for some reason (but my av receiver supports multichannel in thankfully*)

*But not HDMI obviously

Pretty sure spdif is limited to two channel pcm. You get more channels via dd/dts

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I should be be ok running a GT 1030 GPU in my HTPC that has a 150W picoPSU on a 102W AC adapter right? Only other components are Celeron J1900 CPU (ASRock Q1900-ITX), 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, Flirc, KB+Mouse. Getting a 4K TV and want my HTPC to be able to playback media at 4K 60Hz

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Don Lapre posted:

Pretty sure spdif is limited to two channel pcm. You get more channels via dd/dts

Yeah it should be able to pass through those lossy matrix'd formats, and one of my sound cards can - but the other one just sends PCM stereo no matter what you do.

Doesn't matter anyway as the receiver supports 6 channel analogue in, and any modern one supports HDMI - but still, found that weird.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

teagone posted:

I should be be ok running a GT 1030 GPU in my HTPC that has a 150W picoPSU on a 102W AC adapter right? Only other components are Celeron J1900 CPU (ASRock Q1900-ITX), 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, Flirc, KB+Mouse. Getting a 4K TV and want my HTPC to be able to playback media at 4K 60Hz

"Support for 4K Netflix streaming on Nvidia Pascal graphics cards has been in the works for some time. We reported at the beginning of May about a driver available exclusively through the Windows Insider program that enabled UHD streaming support. When it was announced in early May, the feature required a Pascal graphics card with at least 3 GB of memory, leaving GeForce GT 1030 and some GeForce GTX 1050 owners out in the cold. Nvidia has released no official information about Netflix 4K streaming with the 384.76 driver, so we can only speculate that this requirement still exists."

http://techreport.com/news/32195/nvidia-384-76-drivers-quietly-enable-uhd-netflix-on-pascal

Everything I've seen says you need a 1050 at least, though if you can find that it works with the 1030 I would think the GPU just decoding video won't bring the card to full power draw.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TomR posted:

"Support for 4K Netflix streaming on Nvidia Pascal graphics cards has been in the works for some time. We reported at the beginning of May about a driver available exclusively through the Windows Insider program that enabled UHD streaming support. When it was announced in early May, the feature required a Pascal graphics card with at least 3 GB of memory, leaving GeForce GT 1030 and some GeForce GTX 1050 owners out in the cold. Nvidia has released no official information about Netflix 4K streaming with the 384.76 driver, so we can only speculate that this requirement still exists."

http://techreport.com/news/32195/nvidia-384-76-drivers-quietly-enable-uhd-netflix-on-pascal

Everything I've seen says you need a 1050 at least, though if you can find that it works with the 1030 I would think the GPU just decoding video won't bring the card to full power draw.

poo poo, thanks for the heads up! I wonder if the 2GB RAM really is a limitation or if nvidia is just being shady.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is Netflix streaming 4K to browser clients, now? Last I heard they didn't want to for some very vague "you wouldn't steal a car" type of reasons.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

MrYenko posted:

Is Netflix streaming 4K to browser clients, now? Last I heard they didn't want to for some very vague "you wouldn't steal a car" type of reasons.

Only in edge on kady lake.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The only feasible way to watch 4K media on the average PC is to pirate it. Good job, everyone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TheScott2K posted:

The only feasible way to watch 4K media on the average PC is to pirate it. Good job, everyone.

Everyone has been loving up digital media with this kind of poo poo for like what...25 years? I wonder if it will ever not be poo poo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Everyone has been loving up digital media with this kind of poo poo for like what...25 years? I wonder if it will ever not be poo poo.

Everything after DVD is all so walled off and stupid. When I get a new Blu-ray - basically 1-2 times a year at this point - the first thing I do is go torrent a copy to put on my Plex server with the rest of them. I don't even do the ripping, which offends the media companies enough as it is, I just go to my source of good 1080p Blu-ray rips and get it, because if it's in my Plex server I can watch it on anything through Plex or just treat it like a file. And I seed, so someone else gets it for free.

I've got a pretty decent collection of Vudu movies, too, thanks to UV codes that came with movies I bought, but I'm not gonna bother with that when there's a (better) MKV of it that'll play on anything. Vudu could up and disappear someday and their app isn't on everything. I could buy movies on Google Play - I'm already paying them $15 a month for music for me and my wife - but what if I end up with an AppleTV or Fire device someday? Movies are trapped then.

The most annoying thing about all the walling-off is it doesn't work. After all this work and hassle for the end user, the poo poo's still torrentable. I'd have to upgrade my entire perfectly fine desktop to watch House of Cards in 4K on it...or I could just go download it and ask myself why I'm bothering paying for Netflix.

Piracy is free, but it can be a pain in the rear end. Netflix and 4K Bluray can't compete with free, so why on Earth do they want to be a bigger pain in the rear end than torrents?

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 19, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Personally I don't give two shits about 4K or HDR. I'm way more focused on good audio.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
HDR, I would actually put up with a little hassle to get. Once I get a TV that supports it, of course.
But 4k on a TV less than 60 inches? A bit like paying extra for 196 kHz audio.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/enough-pixels-already-tvs-tablets-phones-surpass-limits-human-vision-2D11691618

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Can we all just agree that "4K" is shorthand for "4K with HDR" and not have to split that hair every time the subject comes up?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

TheScott2K posted:

Can we all just agree that "4K" is shorthand for "4K with HDR" and not have to split that hair every time the subject comes up?

Sure, it just annoys me that the most advertised feature is the less useful one. I'll go over and grumble in this corner over here instead.

(No, actually, I'll also whine about how it's not just the marketing of TVs. The bandwidth needed for 4k resolution is pretty much wasted, while HDR by itself could be added for a fraction of the cost. There, now I'm done.)

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

We're not going to have anything in fully 4K(that isn't bitrate starved) or HDR until AACS 2.0 is cracked. :-/

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

TheScott2K posted:

No. :colbert: I bought my 4K TV just before HDR really took off, and I'm super bitter about it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

G-Prime posted:

No. :colbert: I bought my 4K TV just before HDR really took off, and I'm super bitter about it.

So did I and I don't care. There's not even a lot of good HDR stuff out there. Just watch the dang TV and stop worrying about this stuff.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Really hope Nvidia patches in something so that the GT 1030 2GB card will eventually be able to handle 4K Netflix on PC. It seems stupid as gently caress that my only upgrade option right now for my HTPC to stream 4K Netflix is to get a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB card.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Matt Zerella posted:

Just watch the dang TV and stop worrying about this stuff.

New thread title.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I think next year I'm going to plan some upgrades for our HTPC. It'd be nice to have HEVC support and some meat for transcoding on demand. The problem is that we bought an AM1 board for the power savings and the 5350 looks like the newest processor for that socket, so a GPU is the only path available. Does plex do transcoding through the GPU?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Yes it does.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

PlexPass only version (if he's talking about HEVC decoding) that can be downloaded through the forums.

I don't see what the big deal is about HEVC anyways. It's going to take a long while for x265 to mature, same as HDR/4K material. Hell, AACS 2.0 hasn't even been cracked yet. If so, there'd be more disks.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Looks like my ancient DVD burner that I had stuffed into my htpc finally died. Does anyone have any recommendations for a silent and reliable dvd drive for a linux htpc? Should I think about a blu ray reader at this point? I don't actually need the support yet since my PS4 still plays blu rays fine, but I will probably have swapped out my current consoles for their drive-less successors before this next drive goes, so should I plan ahead?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Whats a "dvd burner"

Like a flash drive?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
We had an entertainment cabinet thing full of DVDs. I emptied them into a cardboard box and put it in the crawlspace. It's been three years and I don't think my wife has noticed yet.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
I bought a little external samsung usb one for $20, works great for the once a year I need to read a cd--I wanted to just buy one that I didn't have to have plugged in all the time, etc.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've been using this in my HTPC for a year without issues:
http://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-GH24NSB0-internal-dvd-drive

But I'm running Windows, so I don't know Linux compatibility.

Last I checked, Blu-Ray playback was expensive and a crap shoot on PC. I just use a basic Blu-Ray drive to rip the discs, then stream them to Kodi. I eventually bought a Blu-Ray player because it was stupid buying discs I couldn't technically watch, but I only use it when I want to see what special features are on the disc (and if they're any good, I rip those, too, and never play the disc again).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Not only is bluray playback expensive but there is no guarantee the software company will keep your version updated. You may have to buy a new bluray software if they decide they want you too.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The state of Blu-ray playback on PC is a monument to why piracy will never die

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
If you have Kodi installed on a windows pc with a blu-ray drive, the best solution is to buy a license for MakeMKV and then copy the "libmmbd.dll" file from the MakeMKV installation directory into the Kodi directory as "libaacs.dll" and "libbdplus.dll" and you'll be able to do native blu-ray playback in Kodi.

Edit: actually that make just be on Windows, no idea about how well that'd work on Linux.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Uthor posted:

I've been using this in my HTPC for a year without issues:
http://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-GH24NSB0-internal-dvd-drive

But I'm running Windows, so I don't know Linux compatibility.

Last I checked, Blu-Ray playback was expensive and a crap shoot on PC. I just use a basic Blu-Ray drive to rip the discs, then stream them to Kodi. I eventually bought a Blu-Ray player because it was stupid buying discs I couldn't technically watch, but I only use it when I want to see what special features are on the disc (and if they're any good, I rip those, too, and never play the disc again).

Thanks, I'd probably be happy with only using it for ripping, I don't need nice playback with the menus and poo poo. I just figure, after this I'll probably never buy another optical disc again, may as well get something that can read all the discs I already own.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Instant Sunrise posted:

If you have Kodi installed on a windows pc with a blu-ray drive, the best solution is to buy a license for MakeMKV and then copy the "libmmbd.dll" file from the MakeMKV installation directory into the Kodi directory as "libaacs.dll" and "libbdplus.dll" and you'll be able to do native blu-ray playback in Kodi.

Edit: actually that make just be on Windows, no idea about how well that'd work on Linux.

The best solution is to rip the BD using MakeMKV or the program of your choice and throw the BD in a box you hide in the attic when done.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Well, I have this BD drive in my desktop for ripping purposes and it works just fine.
http://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-UH12NS30-internal-blu-ray-dvd-drive

Only :10bux: more than the DVD burner.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

My one optical drive is a combo BD/HDDVD reader I got in 2008. Obviously it gets a lot of use.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

My one optical drive is a combo BD/HDDVD reader I got in 2008. Obviously it gets a lot of use.

If you rip BD like you should then check out the latest generation; unless you have a burning need to still rip all those red-boxed HDDVDs Toshiba convinced people to buy in 2006 you will find new drives from LG, etc. do a much better and faster job of ripping.

Not dogging people who bought HDDVD; I was one of them but ripped all mine (or replaced them with BD copies) years ago. Most are poo poo anyway by modern standards.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ixian posted:

If you rip BD like you should then check out the latest generation; unless you have a burning need to still rip all those red-boxed HDDVDs Toshiba convinced people to buy in 2006 you will find new drives from LG, etc. do a much better and faster job of ripping.

Not dogging people who bought HDDVD; I was one of them but ripped all mine (or replaced them with BD copies) years ago. Most are poo poo anyway by modern standards.

My discs, including the HDDVDs, are all MKVs on a hard drive and have been for years. My copy of Accepted starring Justin Long is second to none.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

My discs, including the HDDVDs, are all MKVs on a hard drive and have been for years. My copy of Accepted starring Justin Long is second to none.

I still think the free copy of King Kong Microsoft and a several others gave away is one of the best, quality-wise. The movie not so much.

Yes I am the guy that bought the XBox 360 HDDVD drive. It still works too, with the 360, though I haven't dusted either off in a while.

Near the end before Toshiba threw in the towel I remember you could get an armload of HDDVD titles for basically nothing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I had the 360 drive, too. Got it on sale before I even got a 360, hooked that poo poo up to my PC. Came with 5 free movies back in October 07. After they threw in the towel the DVD/HDDVD flipper discs showed up at my grocery store for $3 as DVDs. Got a solid pile of them. Lots of Universal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I've heard people claim that certain HD-DVD releases were better quality because being early releases meant that the studios were more cautious with compression since they didn't know how much they get away with, so they tended to encode at higher bitrates than later Blu-Ray releases.

TBH I think it's audiophile-level exaggerations of something that slightly true but not to the extent they're claiming.