Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
^ Givi makes top notch product.

MotoMind posted:

Summer gloves + heated grips + handguards + handlebar mitts = best solution.

Heated gloves are still bulky and the wiring is annoying unless you have a heated jacket which is also annoying.
There isn't really a one-size-fits-all "best" solution. If I tried to put any of that stuff on my R6 I wouldn't be able to turn the bars at speeds lower than 20 mph without slamming into my fairings. This winter season I'm switching over from heated grips to battery powered gloves/heated liner. Stuff works really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

MotoMind posted:

What size gloves do you need? I have some Gerbing G3's in Medium; I wear size 9 Held Steve gloves.

I wear a large in alpinestars. my spidi summer gloves are medium/euro 9. Mediums on most gloves are about the right fit, but the thumbs feel a little short for some reason. PM me the details.

Would the oxford heated grips and something like this be a decent solution?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

-Inu- posted:

^ Givi makes top notch product.

I'm in Xovaan's position too, looking for a good locking topcase for my DRZ. I know Givi's are great, but they're also crazy expensive. Are there cheaper options that do a good job? Also, anyone know of and easily removed hard case that pops on and off?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think Shad runs cheaper than Givi (but not much), I've had them on two of my bikes with little drama.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

xd posted:

I wear a large in alpinestars. my spidi summer gloves are medium/euro 9. Mediums on most gloves are about the right fit, but the thumbs feel a little short for some reason. PM me the details.

Would the oxford heated grips and something like this be a decent solution?

Those particular overgloves are an atrocity. They were literally made for lobster mutants both by dimension and by how stiff and bulky they are. I have heard better about Aerostich Triple Digit gloves.

Will PM.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

ought ten posted:

I'm in Xovaan's position too, looking for a good locking topcase for my DRZ. I know Givi's are great, but they're also crazy expensive. Are there cheaper options that do a good job? Also, anyone know of and easily removed hard case that pops on and off?

Coocase is another option I've been looking into. Twisted Throttle sells them. I can't find much negative about them and they do seem a bit cheaper than Givi.

There's also this JC Whitney option:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-travel-trunks/p2010969.jcwx

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Hog Obituary posted:

Coocase is another option I've been looking into. Twisted Throttle sells them. I can't find much negative about them and they do seem a bit cheaper than Givi.

There's also this JC Whitney option:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-travel-trunks/p2010969.jcwx

Thanks, those Coocoses look pretty good.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Still hunting some riding pants. My mesh overpants are OK, but they end up looking like snowpants. That was ok in the summer, since overpants allowed me to wear shorts and throw something on to ride.

Now that it's cooled off, I want to get some pants that I can just wear for riding (not overpants) and still walk around in, hang out, etc. I am not so hardcore as to rise in super cold temps, rain, etc., so waterproofing and heating are not an issue.

I like the idea of leather pants, but they only seem to come as (a) racing pants with sliders, tight ankles for race boots, etc.; (b) non-armored leather (though thick leather) jeans style pants or overpants; or (c) chaps best worn over jeans when riding a Harley or sans pants in a gay sex dungeon - NTTAWWT.

I don't race bikes because I am weak.

I want some armor in them pants because I am not stupid.

I don't ride a Harley because I am not stupid. :-D

I don't wear leather chaps in gay sex dungeons because gently caress half-measures! Plus, they never seem to match any of my headgear. v0v

Any ideas on a more 'normal' looking set of pants for casual fall/some winter riding? Leather or textile, whatevs.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Dainese Alien pants are about what you're looking for. They may look it in the pictures but they aren't skin-tight race fit at all; it's a more forgiving (but still tight enough to hold the armor in place) touring fit. I have pretty much the same wants as you and the Aliens fit the bill but I don't like that for some reason they're kinda purple in color (clashes with my black jacket.) Dainese also makes the Spartan 66 pants but I've not tried a pair on yet.

Teiz is having some crazy sales and after seeing Morale Hazard's suit I'm thinking of just picking up an Alcatraz leather 1-piece.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Tamir Lenk posted:

Any ideas on a more 'normal' looking set of pants for casual fall/some winter riding? Leather or textile, whatevs.

Cortech, Firstgear, and Icon make sport-y leather overpants. They don't look super racy but have armor and can be worn over boots. I have the Firstgear ones and really like them. I often wear them with jeans unless I'm visiting a gay sex dungeon.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Teiz is having some crazy sales and after seeing Morale Hazard's suit I'm thinking of just picking up an Alcatraz leather 1-piece.

I put up a really short review earlier and am working on a longer one for Teiz. I really like the suit. Teiz sends a free trial (can't guarantee the leather one if that's what you want) so you can test the fit. Ghazi, the proprietor, doesn't even care if you go for a ride in the trial suit.

Also, and the reason for the write-up, is purchasers of their leather gear or their high-end textile gear get lifetime crash replacement if you do a writeup and send in pictures.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
I just wanted to take a moment to say Vitesse boots are awesome but don't ever buy them.

I placed my order in June, got the boots a couple days later only to find they're the wrong size. So I emailed them and asked if I sent them back would I be able to get a size that wasn't made for children. They said "Sure but we usually just have you sell the boots and then give you a 25% discount on the next pair of boots since shipping is cost prohibitive for some people." I told them I'd send the boots back since I worked for Fedex and the shipping back to them wouldn't be expensive.

It's been 4 months and I haven't received the bigger size, my money, or any indication of what is going on. I've taken to daily emails of the exact same thing since I'm well beyond the ability to dispute my payment through Visa.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
That's just The French Experience.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Anyone have any tips for getting the smell of gasoline out of a pair of gauntlets? :suicide:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ride more. The flow of air over the gloves will aid in evaporation of the volatile chemicals that give gasoline its smell.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

Anyone have any tips for getting the smell of gasoline out of a pair of gauntlets? :suicide:

Hold them over your mouth and nose and breathe deep. You will pull all the gas smell out of the gloves and be high as gently caress.

Don't actually do this.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

How do the Dainese Fulcrum Goretex Boots compare to the Sidi Rains and Alpinestar Webs? Any other Goretex boots to check out? The inner lining of my Vertigos wore through to the lorica and are eating through my socks and jeans :(

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Xovaan posted:

How do the Dainese Fulcrum Goretex Boots compare to the Sidi Rains and Alpinestar Webs? Any other Goretex boots to check out? The inner lining of my Vertigos wore through to the lorica and are eating through my socks and jeans :(

I have the TRQ-Tours, they're about as high up on the safety scale as you can go without getting into dual-sport/MX boots. They're a much more sporty look (like the Vertigo). I like them, but the toebox is narrow (I have narrow feet, don't care) and the velcro on the back of the calf can be itchy. If you've worn any Dainese TRQ race boots you know the fit and the (minor) velcro issue. I have not worn them in extended wet/cold but they gave me no noticeable issues in 105F+ heat. The price on the TRQ-Tours is obnoxious but not terribly more so than the Fulcrums.

I've also tried on the Nighthawks, I found them very nice, more comfortable out of the box than the TRQs, but also missing some hivemind-demanded safety features like serious ankle bending protection.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

New leather daddy checking in. Went to the dianese store looking for a newater/rebel, and ended up with this. D-skin bitches!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

New leather daddy checking in. Went to the dianese store looking for a newater/rebel, and ended up with this. D-skin bitches!

Hell yeah dude. Now you just need to get a bike! :v:

Since you have a higher chance of an accident while commuting than racing, race leather, being the most protective, is the safest option for commuting. Enjoy your setup. :)

Snowdens Secret posted:

I have the TRQ-Tours, they're about as high up on the safety scale as you can go without getting into dual-sport/MX boots. They're a much more sporty look (like the Vertigo). I like them, but the toebox is narrow (I have narrow feet, don't care) and the velcro on the back of the calf can be itchy. If you've worn any Dainese TRQ race boots you know the fit and the (minor) velcro issue. I have not worn them in extended wet/cold but they gave me no noticeable issues in 105F+ heat. The price on the TRQ-Tours is obnoxious but not terribly more so than the Fulcrums.

I've also tried on the Nighthawks, I found them very nice, more comfortable out of the box than the TRQs, but also missing some hivemind-demanded safety features like serious ankle bending protection.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll do some research on those tonight. I'm basically looking for a do-all commuting boot that I can walk around in if need be. These Sidis barely lasted a year before these issues, and while the lorica and plastic exterior is doing great, the sole and interior wore out pretty quickly. :(

Also: How is Obenauf's LP for motorcycle boots?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Xovaan posted:

Hell yeah dude. Now you just need to get a bike! :v:

Moving in less than 2 months, I'll have to settle for the scoot until then. It'll be the middle of January in the midwest though, I bet I can get a smoking deal on something. :fap:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Snowdens Secret posted:

hivemind-demanded safety features like serious ankle bending protection.

Yeah, about that. Are there any good homebrew solutions? I'm a decent hand with leatherwork and passable with heat-forming Kydex. Due to our odd sizes, neither I or my wife can find any boot options that have serious ankle bending protection.

She wears a women's 4.5 and, while there's a few boots available that fit her, none of them have much in they way of rigid protection. We know this because over the course of the last couple months we've bought and returned everything we could get our hands on. And I've complained about my feet before, nothing commercial is going to fit me.

Is anyone out there making their own boots or building them from existing ones?

e: clarity

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 16, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Xovaan posted:

Also: How is Obenauf's LP for motorcycle boots?

Probably not great. I think it's not recommended for use on boots with waterproof liners like Gore-Tex since it can clog the tiny pores used to make that stuff breathable, and I'm not sure it would do anything for synthetic leathers.

If it's real leather without a liner, though, go hog wild?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

neither I or my wife can find any boot options that have serious ankle bending protection.

I don't know anything about building my own, but I wear the A* Tech 3's and they seem pretty awesome for ankle protection. I played around with the dianese ones a bit and they were not as good in that sense.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Post edited for clarity; there's likely several good options among the standard-sized boots available (like those Tech 3s), but we both wear odd sizes.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Probably not great. I think it's not recommended for use on boots with waterproof liners like Gore-Tex since it can clog the tiny pores used to make that stuff breathable, and I'm not sure it would do anything for synthetic leathers.

If it's real leather without a liner, though, go hog wild?

Well, the reason I ask is because the outside of the boots are leather and the inside liner is goretex. The Obenauf site states that it's perfect for leather boots with goretex lining because beeswax doesn't degrade the liner if it does for some crazy reason come in contact with it, while mink oil, sno seal, and other spray-ons do. But I was curious as to what you guys thought. :ohdear:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Tamir Lenk posted:

Hold them over your mouth and nose and breathe deep. You will pull all the gas smell out of the gloves and be high as gently caress.

Don't actually do this.
tirp rport: this work awesoe

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I recently ordered an Xelement leather armored jacket. I read a bunch of reviews and it seemsed to get decent reviews from people who wore it with safety in mind. I got it on sale for 135 instead of 275 so I couldn't pass it up.

I got it today. It's drat heavy, the leather seems to be about 1.4mm thick. The armor is a little thin, but its rated at level 3. I might end up replacing the inserts but my Shift elbow armor doesn't fit from my mesh jacket.

All in all it seems solid, if I ever crash again I will let you know how it goes.

Crappy iPad pic

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 17, 2012

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
That's really good to hear. They make a pretty wide variety of styles, and I've been looking at them just to get something more interesting than the usual. I hope it holds up if push comes to shove.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I'm prettying impressed so far. I took it out for a spin earlier and it felt fine. The leather is a little stiff since its brand new but hopefully it will wear in. I'm digging the old school look but I might pick up a more cafe look as well,

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Is the battery powered heated gear any good? I hate having to plug into my bike.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/heated_gear_and_snow_helmets/upper_body/mobile_warming/longmen_shirt_base_layer.html

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Just came home from the Dainese store in SF... Their gear seems really high quality and the lady helping me out was super helpful. Any reason not to buy their poo poo?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Price

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pissingintowind posted:

Just came home from the Dainese store in SF... Their gear seems really high quality and the lady helping me out was super helpful. Any reason not to buy their poo poo?

It's freaking expensive but that's about it. Good, high quality gear, just comes at a price premium.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The armor is a little thin, but its rated at level 3

I don't believe a real level 3 really exists, for CE anyway.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I've heard really good things about the Undeararmour ColdGear. Supposedly it's pretty much unbearably hot if you're wearing it in weather that isn't necessary to wear electric gear in.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

That and European sizing doesn't work on big folk like me. There are times I wish I was 5' 11" / 175 lbs and could use any gear manufacturer.

Xovaan posted:

I've heard really good things about the Undeararmour ColdGear. Supposedly it's pretty much unbearably hot if you're wearing it in weather that isn't necessary to wear electric gear in.

That stuff is really good, almost too good. My problem is when it is cold enough for me to wear the ColdGear my hands have long become icicles.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

MoraleHazard posted:

That and European sizing doesn't work on big folk like me. There are times I wish I was 5' 11" / 175 lbs and could use any gear manufacturer.

loving this. Every time a find gear in "unisex" sizes, the charts tell me that my legs are too long, and my chest and waist are mismatched. Who knew the following measurements make me a circus freak:

Chest - 44
Waist - 35-36
Inseam - 33-34

6'2"/195 lbs.

:smithicide:

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Tamir Lenk posted:

loving this. Every time a find gear in "unisex" sizes, the charts tell me that my legs are too long, and my chest and waist are mismatched. Who knew the following measurements make me a circus freak:

Chest - 44
Waist - 35-36
Inseam - 33-34

6'2"/195 lbs.

:smithicide:

That's basically exactly my sizing. Well, 44L, 35 waist, 34 inseam, and 205 pounds. What do you end up buying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

MoraleHazard posted:

Funny thing is, I'm a skinny gangly rear end dude and I bought a jacket I knew was going to be too big for me, I think it worked out to being 2 sizes too large than what I measured myself at, but it fits me perfectly. Blew my mind that they make them even smaller than I'd be able to fit in. What do they go down to Kids' sizes in Euro?

Those curious, its a Held Road. Brian Van from Sportbiketrackgear sportbiketrackgear.com sold it to me.

I love it.