Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

new Boundaries, i dig it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSNNYAzUEKs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

New FFAK single dropped. About singer Ryan Kirby's wife having a stroke.

The two singles from the upcoming album are the best they've released in YEARS for me. I've always thought they peaked with Creation/Destruction and have declined since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZQnffBnIHk

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

New Norma Jean released today

verdict: it good

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Slotducks posted:

New Norma Jean released today

verdict: it good

Thanks for the heads up, I've really been enjoying Spearmint Revolt lately.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

wandler20 posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I've really been enjoying Spearmint Revolt lately.

word of warning that's probably the best song on the album

Royal Coda also dropped today - it's DGD for the older refined DGD fans

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
also while not core but there's as there's a lot of overlap with melodeath The Halo Effect dropped their debut, which is a bunch of original/90s members of In Flames reunited w/ Mikael Stanne on vocals

edit: matt heafy has a guest spot on track 9 so i think this now technically qualifies for this thread

kumba fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 12, 2022

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Slotducks posted:

word of warning that's probably the best song on the album

Royal Coda also dropped today - it's DGD for the older refined DGD fans

I'm good with that, it's one of my favorite songs of the year so a pretty high bar for myself. Listened to the first half and it's good.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

New Norma Jean is good. Sounds like Norma Jean alright. Not gonna be my AOTY, but I'll spin it in the gym from time to time. Norma Jean is one of those bands that will never blow me away, but will never let me down.

Oh, more -core adjacent, but some of you might/should care: Fugitive, the side project from Power Trip guitarist Blake Ibanez, dropped the other day and it rules. If you like thrash-y songs that make you wanna ride a motorcycle across the desert at night to, check it out
https://youtu.be/hOcF_7GB87M

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I saw as I lay dying live and boy they kicked rear end. I know the band isn't the original lineup anymore but it was still tight as heck!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

aild has some phenomenal songs/albums that hit the perfect blend of melodic gothenburg metal with breakdowns and hardcore influence. its a shame the singer is whatever but if they played a show i was at i wouldn't not enjoy it.

saw them play with killswitch and in flames waayyyyyyyy back in the day and they were so loving good. also saw them at a warped tour once and it was a great break from the mostly pop punk stuff that most of my friends were there for.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

my favorite warped tour memory was before they ever really booked metal acts and somehow Horse the Band made it on there

it was chaos

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

aild has some phenomenal songs/albums that hit the perfect blend of melodic gothenburg metal with breakdowns and hardcore influence. its a shame the singer is whatever but if they played a show i was at i wouldn't not enjoy it.

saw them play with killswitch and in flames waayyyyyyyy back in the day and they were so loving good. also saw them at a warped tour once and it was a great break from the mostly pop punk stuff that most of my friends were there for.

Yeah agreed entirely with all of this. I saw them play with In Flames and Soul Fly probably around the same time and god drat they ripped. Tim is a piece of garbage and it makes me feel weird listening to their music now but I absolutely can’t resist spinning Frail Words Collapse fairly regularly.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Regarding Tim, he's admitted and been fairly honest about the whole thing. I know what he did was deplorable but it was during I time he was roided out of his mind and obviously has a lot of poo poo going on. It's one thing if he tried to murder somebody himself vs being lead on by some roided cop he met at the gym, and he's served his sentence, nobody was physically hurt. I can kind of make amends with the whole thing and still enjoy his music.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hmm, nah I don't think steroids are an excuse to hire a hitman to murder your wife

It's debatable whether you can separate art from artist (I think you can to an extent) but you do not under any circumstances gotta hand it to Tim Lambesis

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
gently caress Tim Lambesis lol that guy sucks and is a loser

Now that Howard Jones... There's a metalcore frontman you can set your watch to!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I don't have particularly strong feelings wrt Tim, but it does seem that he came out of prison with a very solid understanding of his gently caress ups and has taken steps to try and right some of the wrongs. Does a lot of outreach and fundraising type poo poo for DV victims. Doesn't try to hide his past. poo poo like that. Also, even though they've all since left, I think him managing to get the original AILD lineup back together after his release has to say something about him, because, as I recall, those dudes were all very vocal about "gently caress that guy forever" when he went away. I doubt they would have given him another chance if they didn't think he was genuine, but idk. Luckily, I don't LOVE their music, so it's easy enough to just skip it. (I will never stop listening to Austrian Death Machine though)

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i'm not a huge fanboy and i couldn't tell you the last time i listened to an AILD record (other than the one that came out after they reformed).

i believe that prison is meant to rehabilitate people who colossally gently caress up, so when people come out of prison and seem to genuinely understand what they did is hosed up and take whatever steps are possible to correct their past and be better, that poo poo should absolutely be celebrated as a success

also the powerless rise is ez in my top 10 core records of all time even though i haven't listened to it in forever

kumba fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 16, 2022

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Potentially bad takes incoming.

el B posted:

Now that Howard Jones... There's a metalcore frontman you can set your watch to!

Alive or just breathing was peak Killswitch. That album is something special. It's one of the albums that got me into metalcore. After Jessie left the sound just never hit the same for me.

kumba posted:

also the powerless rise is ez in my top 10 core records of all time

Funny you say that because I think that's AILD weakest album.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

If he's truly learned the error of his ways, then he won't hire another hitman to murder the woman currently suing him for blowing her up in a bonfire accident. Tim(e) will tell

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

XIII posted:

I don't have particularly strong feelings wrt Tim, but it does seem that he came out of prison with a very solid understanding of his gently caress ups and has taken steps to try and right some of the wrongs. Does a lot of outreach and fundraising type poo poo for DV victims. Doesn't try to hide his past. poo poo like that. Also, even though they've all since left, I think him managing to get the original AILD lineup back together after his release has to say something about him, because, as I recall, those dudes were all very vocal about "gently caress that guy forever" when he went away. I doubt they would have given him another chance if they didn't think he was genuine, but idk. Luckily, I don't LOVE their music, so it's easy enough to just skip it. (I will never stop listening to Austrian Death Machine though)

Their drummer quit a few months ago and it was pretty transparently because he didn't want to be around Tim (and likely was pissed that the rest of the band were OK with him being back)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Their drummer quit a few months ago and it was pretty transparently because he didn't want to be around Tim (and likely was pissed that the rest of the band were OK with him being back)

Yeah, after four years. If he realized Tim's still a shithead, good for him for getting out, but I still think the point stands that he was able to convince his bandmates that he was worth giving another chance says something. It might just say that he's really good at pretending to be a changed person, but idk

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

XIII posted:

It might just say that he's really good at pretending to be a changed person, but idk

I think that's exactly what it says

I dunno, doing charity work etc. doesn't really square that circle for me, but to each their own I guess

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Quite possible. I wouldn't want to hang out with him and I don't care to listen to their music (the last AILD album I even sorta cared about was An Ocean Between Us), so I'm not going to go to bat for the guy. I've never seen 'em live and probably won't change that unless they roll through Denver with especially good openers (and then I'd just leave before they played).

ninja edit: speaking of shows, I'm bummed to be missing Great American Ghost this Fri, but the DWP / SFTP / Dying Wish show that same night is just too stacked to pass up. GAG is playing a block from my place though, so I'm gonna try and get back in time to at least grab merch

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Wachter posted:

Tim(e) will tell

:vince:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_RUbaBOhxc

new oceano. been five years since their last full length. so stoked for more music from them. this is great.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

ShoogaSlim posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_RUbaBOhxc

new oceano. been five years since their last full length. so stoked for more music from them. this is great.

2:42 made me start sweating.

I assumed the dude's vocals were just, pitch-shifted or something. So I pulled up a random live video of them, and....nope. I was expecting effect pedals or something for his mic, but it looks like that's just all him. Heard some highs and the "let's go everyone!" crowd banter stuff, and they don't sound funky.

Then I go to the comments, and its basically everyone talking about how goddamn good a vocalist he is.

Also found his YT channel, which even had a bit of him recording some of this song.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Check his Twitter, he posts vocal clips all the time. He is incredibly, monstrously good at what he does.

New Oceano crushes

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lrSZx6kSxB12CHWEI3AkYRl0CapFVs-4Y

New Orthodox is out today. About halfway through and I'm digging it

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

^ thanks for posting

spotify release radar fails again. listened to a bunch of orthodox when their last album came out. my release radar today is filled with a bunch of poo poo i've never listened to

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

^ thanks for posting

spotify release radar fails again. listened to a bunch of orthodox when their last album came out. my release radar today is filled with a bunch of poo poo i've never listened to

Yeah, YTM regularly misses that sorta poo poo too. Like, c'mon, I've listened to their music a shitload, I have all their albums/singles added to my library, and I am 1 of 484 people who have "subscribed" to them from within the app, so how in the poo poo do you NOT tell me a new album dropped.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I usually check both the MetalInjection and MetalSucks weekly releases just in case

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, same. I'll check Mike Howell' IG for his weekly round-ups (he co-host a weekly new music release podcast with Shane Told, Silverstein's vocalist). Also, even though I don't use it much, I'll check Spotify, since sometimes they catch things YTM doesn't.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
The metalcore subreddit also does a weekly release round-up that I always check on Fridays as well.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

It Dies Today got Forever Scorned back up on Spotify in the US. It's the rerecord, which is unfortunate because the original sounds a lot better, but I'll take it. I love that fuckin EP. Heaviest poo poo you can imagine out of what looks like a group of emo kids.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Wamsutta posted:

It Dies Today got Forever Scorned back up on Spotify in the US. It's the rerecord, which is unfortunate because the original sounds a lot better, but I'll take it. I love that fuckin EP. Heaviest poo poo you can imagine out of what looks like a group of emo kids.

immediately jammed when i read this. even tho the original is a huge milestone album for me, at some point i started liking the rerecording more so im glad this is the version that's available. the og has its charm but the rerecord sounds "bigger" to me.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Eight Is Legend posted:

The metalcore subreddit also does a weekly release round-up that I always check on Fridays as well.

I also check this most weeks, but I sorta hate reddit for music discussion

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The Dying Wish, Stray From The Path, Devil Wears Prada show was real drat good. I wish DW didn't insist on only playing tracks off their full length. Stray played a new song live and things got pretty bonkers. TDWP aren't my FAVORITE band, but I like both Zombie EPs (and Space), so it was cool to hear both of them in their entirity. I think it's weird that they played ZII and then Zombie, but whatever.

Bought the new Stray album (on this new-fangled thing they called a "compact disc") and been jamming it in my car since Friday

Edit: to add some content, AVOID released a new single, along with a fun video for it.
https://youtu.be/Jc8ixT3Azzg

and Foreign Hands have a new track edit: and video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfkJeProMlY

XIII fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 23, 2022

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?
:siren: :siren: :siren: NEW BOTCH NEW BOTCH NEW BOTCH :siren: :siren: :siren:

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

https://open.spotify.com/track/1YcAT8wzQpk12OOJcBcOT5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNbOEoju0IM

SonicDefiance fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 24, 2022

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?

Sorry, just edited my post!!