Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

triplexpac posted:

Lance Storm was a better commish :colbert:

Lance Storm never had a random appearance of James Brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Looking back, one thing baffles me. Why was Mongo in the Four Horsemen? Why was he even involved in wrestling?

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Rad R. posted:

Looking back, one thing baffles me. Why was Mongo in the Four Horsemen? Why was he even involved in wrestling?

He was a big guy that was kind of known outside of wrestling due to his NFL career, and if WCW had bothered to give a gently caress about things like actual talent level and whether or not an idea is "good" on a regular basis this thread wouldn't exist.

If you're wondering about Mongo's own motivations for getting into wrestling, a big dumb guy with his level of charisma and verbal skills doesn't have many options, especially since football, especially from that era, probably didn;t leave his body in peak condition.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Monkeycheese posted:

He was a big guy that was kind of known outside of wrestling due to his NFL career, and if WCW had bothered to give a gently caress about things like actual talent level and whether or not an idea is "good" on a regular basis this thread wouldn't exist.

If you're wondering about Mongo's own motivations for getting into wrestling, a big dumb guy with his level of charisma and verbal skills doesn't have many options, especially since football, especially from that era, probably didn;t leave his body in peak condition.

So they did the smartest thing possible with him! They made him an announcer.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rad R. posted:

Paul Roma really lowered the bar.

And there have been plenty of footballers who made it as wrestlers. Luger, Goldberg, Rock, etc.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Paul Roma really lowered the bar.

And there have been plenty of footballers who made it as wrestlers. Luger, Goldberg, Rock, etc.
Ted DiBiase, David Von Erich, Vader...Colt Cabana's grumbling aside, lots of great workers have been wrestlers.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Halloween Jack posted:

Ted DiBiase, David Von Erich, Vader...Colt Cabana's grumbling aside, lots of great workers have been wrestlers.

uh Colt Cabana has a football background.

Its bodybuilders and magazine models he's not a fan of.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

coconono posted:

uh Colt Cabana has a football background.

Its bodybuilders and magazine models he's not a fan of.

Colt hates Mark Henry?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
This is apropos of nothing, but I just put on the 1988 Bunkhouse Stampede and my GOD Tony Schiavone's mullet and mustache is magnificent.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Colt hates Mark Henry?

Powerlifting, Olympic weightlifting, and bodybuilding are in fact completely different things.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

fatherdog posted:

Powerlifting, Olympic weightlifting, and bodybuilding are in fact completely different things.

Yeah, guys with legitimately incredible functional strength who have a modicum of charisma definitely have a place in wrestling. I was reading an AMA with an Icelandic strongman who's the new guy playing Gregor Clegane on Game of Thrones and I thought how potentially great at pro wrestling a mobile 6'9 guy who's interested in acting and can deadlift over 900 lbs could be.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

We've had this discussion before, but Mongo had a really solid NFL career. But now, all I think of is his really awful wrestling career.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

We've had this discussion before, but Mongo had a really solid NFL career. But now, all I think of is his really awful wrestling career.

Also Pepe!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Rad R. posted:

He was one of the many former football players in LT's corner at WrestleMania XI and even did color commentary during a match on RAW before that. I guess that was more than enough to convince WCW to give him a job!

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 28, 2014

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Snacksmaniac posted:

And they brought in Deborah with him which was completely insane on so many levels.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
WCW was like a pinata, and anybody with a whiff of notoriety got a swing.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

coconono posted:

And they brought in Deborah with him which was completely insane on so many levels.

Every time I see Deborah on Nitro I'm like "Why doesn't she ever say anything?" and then you see a show where they actually give her the mic and it's "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, right."

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
And every time someone mentions Debra I remember that moment on Nitro when Mongo spat a piece of chewing gum into her hair mid promo, and it looked really, really bad.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
I actually liked WCW Debra okay. It seemed like they dressed up a 35 year old woman in a pageant gown because her character was a delusional, living-in-her-past heel. Then she went to WWF and it was "look at the PUPPIES J.R.!" And she was essentially a babyface whose gimmick was "boobs." Maybe that's giving WCW too much credit, but at least they weren't so gross.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

laz0rbeak posted:

I actually liked WCW Debra okay. It seemed like they dressed up a 35 year old woman in a pageant gown because her character was a delusional, living-in-her-past heel. Then she went to WWF and it was "look at the PUPPIES J.R.!" And she was essentially a babyface whose gimmick was "boobs." Maybe that's giving WCW too much credit, but at least they weren't so gross.

Hell, it was pretty gruesome.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

laz0rbeak posted:

To be fair to the WWF though, at that time every woman they had on the roster either had the gimmick of "boobs", or "bitch who won't show boobs". Which is at least a choice. In WCW at the same time, (to my memory, although I could be proven very wrong),the only women they had were Deborah, Elizabeth, and teh Nitro Girls. None of which had any real discernable personality.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

To be fair to the WWF though, at that time every woman they had on the roster either had the gimmick of "boobs", or "bitch who won't show boobs". Which is at least a choice. In WCW at the same time, (to my memory, although I could be proven very wrong),the only women they had were Deborah, Elizabeth, and teh Nitro Girls. None of which had any real discernable personality.

someone missed the Nitro Girls feuding with each other!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BrigadierSensible posted:

Well there was Jacqueline, Luna Vachon, and Madusa on the last PPV!

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

haljordan posted:

Every time I see Deborah on Nitro I'm like "Why doesn't she ever say anything?" and then you see a show where they actually give her the mic and it's "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, right."

To this day I don't understand what Austin saw in her. She was okay looking I guess but he could've done better. Plus from fan meets I heard she was a bitch to boot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ColeM posted:

To this day I don't understand what Austin saw in her. She was okay looking I guess but he could've done better. Plus from fan meets I heard she was a bitch to boot.

This is what you question about Austin's judgment in that relationship?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

ColeM posted:

Hahahaha is this for real? God drat.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

ColeM posted:

i'm also a misogynist irl

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u

ColeM posted:

Would you say that she was vapid?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

ColeM posted:

She is a blond woman with and hour-glass figure and big tits. Would you like a diagram of why a straight man would find this appealing?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
She was a stone cold stunner.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

ColeM posted:

I, for one, hate the bitches as well.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

greatn posted:

She was a stone cold stunner.

A real knockout

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I wanted to like Debra but she totally negged me when I tried to reach my hand up her dress. Thanks Obama

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Luigi Thirty posted:

A real knockout

He had to divorce her because she was too frigid. A real Freeze McFrost.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

greatn posted:

He had to divorce her because she was too frigid. A real Freeze McFrost.

It's not her fault he has an Ice Dagger.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I heard they met on COUGAR LIFE DOT COM

IT'S A DATING SITE WHERE THE WOMEN HUNT YOU!

WHAT?!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

She baked really good cookies so that's something.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Chris Gaines posted:

I wanted to like Debra but she totally negged me when I tried to reach my hand up her dress. Thanks Obama

That's because women are such selfish creatures that only think of themselves.

*resumes shopping online for new trenchcoat*

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Zack_Gochuck posted:

She is a blond woman with and hour-glass figure and big tits. Would you like a diagram of why a straight man would find this appealing?

I would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight at 8 PM, WCW Nitro presents two episodes that feature a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT! Eric Bischoff is suspended but chaos reigns, Turner Sports has promised to fix things and tonight we'll find out how!

Also:

Yuji Nagata vs Dean Malenko for the US title
Ciclope vs Glacier
Meng vs Chris Jericho
Syxx vs Rey Jr. for the Cruiserweight title

in episode 2...

Juvi challenges for the tiny men belt
Iaukea challenges for the America belt
Benoit vs Regal

AND MONGO VS THE BARBARIAN!

Find out what Sting is up to, how the war between DDP and Savage is going and what crazy poo poo Piper and Flair will say tonight on Nitro!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

8 PM for Nitro, 7:30 PM for Cowboy Who. I think the second episode of Nitro is only an hour so there's a good chance we'll be watching TNA after.