Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Any other story, I'd guess he is off doing something now that Annie will be horrified at. She's going to walk up on it, see it, and realize that big cuddly Ysengrin and the fun fun funny fun people of the forest are every bit as ruthless and nasty as the Court (which Jones said).

People seem to think Annie's view on the forest is far more idealised than I do. I think she's perfectly aware that Ysengrin and Coyote can be ruthless and nasty, in the same way she's aware that Renard has blood on his hands or that the security of the court (and she's friendly to the vast majority of the court's inhabitants, more so, I would say, then she is to the forest's) is bought by Keannie's slavery. She overlooks these things but I don't think she's ever forgetten them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Parahexavoctal posted:

Look at panel 1.

Annie took Coyote by surprise. He's actually taken aback.

I just adore Coyote's expressions. It would be easy to constantly draw him with that Cheshire grin, but showing him menacing, surprised, jovial, and enigmatic within the space of a single chapter is far more effective.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I'm sorry, but I just couldn't let this avatar go to waste.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Kessel posted:

I'm sorry, but I just couldn't let this avatar go to waste.

needs a quote

"and I dance dance dance and I dance dance dance"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fatkraken posted:

needs a quote

"and I dance dance dance and I dance dance dance"

Tea? I'm a Coy-o-tea! And I dance dance dance and I yip yip yip.

Alternatively, "WIGGLE HE"

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

An avatar gif of Coyote turning into a rock would be really cool.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The avatar fairy has blessed me again! Hooray! :toot:

Thanks!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ATP_Power posted:

An avatar gif of Coyote turning into a rock would be really cool.

Speed is a bit epileptic. Slower looks jaggy.

I thought about looking into some morphing software to make in-between frames so it'd be smoother, but that'd make it larger than 30kb.

Wait, I'm dumb:

Now it looks good.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 14, 2012

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I think Coyote merging into a rock flows wonderfully well with this comic about rocks. :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Interesting that she calls it a theory.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Jon Joe posted:

I thought the same thing. It wasn't Coyote transforming into a rock, no, he was a rock the entire time!

The real trick is that both are true!

Thanks for doing that gif for me Cat Mattress.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

This is probably a weird observation, but Ysengrin's tree arms are looking even more tree buff than usual.

I suppose it's just another symptom of the continuing art improvement.

(e: Tom, it is amazing to me that your art has become so fantastic and yet is still showing visible signs of improvement. You are great.)

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 15, 2012

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Ugh, I just love Annie and Ysengrin's relationship. To see where they started, and to see the dynamic now... I remember the days where he'd use that hand to try and kill her, and look at them now!

This comic is just too good!

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Bongo Bill posted:

It turns out the whole comic has been building up to Annie and Ysengrin "teaching the controversy."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

It turns out the whole comic has been building up to Annie and Ysengrin "teaching the controversy."

Were Gods created by Man, or did they ethervolve naturally?

Junker
Mar 30, 2009
Coyote's greatest trick was making the world believe he existed.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Well, next update is a Friday strip, so I therefore infer Ysengrin is about to drop a crazy bombshell nobody saw coming.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Maybe Ysengrin's going to tell us HIS great secret! The chapter title could be ambiguous enough to refer to both.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Maybe Ysengrin's going to tell us HIS great secret! The chapter title could be ambiguous enough to refer to both.

I think Annie already knows his secret, that was the time he threatened to eat her face off.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Kind of hard to take what a trickster god says at face value.

And before you say "Coyote never lies," keep in mind that "not lying" is not the same as "telling the truth".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Were Gods created by Man, or did they ethervolve naturally?

Ysengrin etherwolved unnaturally.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Junker posted:

This is actually beautiful text for a title, someone should grab it!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Junker posted:

And since he is thereby part of the world, he has once more tricked himself. Who else could trick the great Coyote?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I really like this writing. With Ysengrin's denial about Coyote's idea, and with Annie calling it a theory. I personally am not sure if Coyote's correct on this one.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

For somebody who crushes the bones of their prey in their jaws, he was doing a pretty lousy job with that fish.

Even in the first fight in the court, he bared his teeth and then attacked with the tree-hands.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The way Ysengrin is so vehement in denying it makes me pretty certain that Coyote is right and Ysengrin knows it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

The way Ysengrin is so vehement in denying it makes me pretty certain that Coyote is right and Ysengrin knows it.

Yeah Coyote's right. The main thing is that he understands what Ysengrin doesn't - their power originating from humans doesn't necessarily diminish it.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

As :smith: as this update is for Ysengrin especially, I'm really laughing at the facepalm panel.

derailed
Apr 3, 2004

As seen in your dreams!
Wow, Annie may be rubbish at running but she must be in pretty good shape to pull herself up from a dead hang like that.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

derailed posted:

Wow, Annie may be rubbish at running but she must be in pretty good shape to pull herself up from a dead hang like that.

All those months in the forest...

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah Coyote's right. The main thing is that he understands what Ysengrin doesn't - their power originating from humans doesn't necessarily diminish it.

Its not only that. Take Ysengrin's comment about Annie's fire elemental ancestry for example. He says that fire elementals must be just stories that humans make up, but that isn't really what Coyote means at all. If you follow Coyote's reasoning then what happens is humans looked at a flame and thought about how the flame looked like it was alive, and they may have assigned other characteristics to it like it was beautiful or looked like it was dancing or crackled angrily or embracing whatever it was burning or whatever. And then those humans die and become the aether and eventually somewhere a fire elemental emerges. At no point does the human think hey that flame is literally a fire elemental.

Calling it 'stories' diminishes or shows a (perhaps willful) misunderstanding of the what exactly Coyote means. After all, with the example of the man alone dying in the desert, there was no story told there either.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There was, rather explicitly, the story the man told himself.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
What I mean is Ysengrin is taking that a bit literally, whereas Coyote was, it seemed to me at least, talking in part in metaphor.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Waffnuffly posted:

As :smith: as this update is for Ysengrin especially, I'm really laughing at the facepalm panel.

Speaking of the facepalm can anyone take a crack at making an avatar out of that?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Ohtsam posted:

Speaking of the facepalm can anyone take a crack at making an avatar out of that?

Wish granted:

Borderless:

I don't even...

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 18, 2012

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Thanks a ton, now to think of a good title.

"Not this poo poo again"?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Ohtsam posted:

God dammit, Coyote, you have a litterbox, you know.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Ohtsam posted:

Not this poo poo, Ysinagain...

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
You're all missing the true bombshell implied by what we've learned so far which is the whole comic takes place long after an apocalyptic 'Mushroom War' and Finn and Flame Princess are Annie's ancestors.

But seriously GC is amazing which makes it all the more frustrating I have a hard time properly evangelizing it to others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Ohtsam posted:

Honestly, I think this is perfect...