Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
gently caress, it hit me just now how much doesn't happen with Dany at all post-dragon hatching at the end of Book 1/Season 1. TV viewers are going to grow so loving resentful at her storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

From the spoiler-free thread.

CuwiKhons posted:

I blitzed through this series in the span of like, a week, so I may have missed something, but it seems like Renly and Robb actually have the most logical alliance. Renly's the one with the weakest legitimate claim to the throne so he's the one who can afford to take the fewest chances with it. So he absolutely has to realize that potentially losing the North would be worth it if he could take the Iron Throne and be King of the South.

And as he said back in season 1, Renly's not a soldier, he's a diplomat. He's like Tyrion in that he just gets people. He's good at that. If he plays his cards right, he could end this war on really good terms with Robb Stark and the rest of the North. He might not be able to swing Robb relinquishing sovereignty, but he at least wouldn't have to turn around and fight a second war. If Robb and Renly team up, they could sweep EVERYTHING and there's gently caress all the Lannisters and Stannis could do about it.

Oh TVIV, never change :allears:

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

mind the walrus posted:

From the spoiler-free thread.

Oh TVIV, never change :allears:

Oh yes, I can taste their tears of rage and grief already. :unsmigghh:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I love that they want a Robb/Renly alliance

bahahahahaha.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Melisandre and Stannis were perfect.

Really? I always imagined Melisandre to be taller and prettier and more mysterious. Stannis is spot on though.

I almost feel sorry for those who haven't read the books and are expecting things to happen after this season, or indeed this season. The episode was okay, but I was watching it from the perspective of a jaded 'fan' who is into the first year of a love/hate relationship with the Gurm.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Octy posted:

Really? I always imagined Melisandre to be taller and prettier and more mysterious. Stannis is spot on though.

I almost feel sorry for those who haven't read the books and are expecting things to happen after this season, or indeed this season. The episode was okay, but I was watching it from the perspective of a jaded 'fan' who is into the first year of a love/hate relationship with the Gurm.

After Carice van Houten's work in Black Death I feel she's perfect for Melisandre. You'll see.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Azure_Horizon posted:

I love that they want a Robb/Renly alliance

bahahahahaha.

It's a good idea, which is why it doesn't happen.

Dendra
May 3, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

better stick with Iron Bank, Tyrions a Lannister.

Tyrion's a targ dude

Enigma89 posted:

I was really hoping they would start building up on the fact that there are dragons but it seems a bit useless that they are just in the middle of the desert and not doing anything. I think we only saw the desert for a single scene and that was it :(

And so it begins. How many scenes of Dany doing fuckall will there be this season?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

crazypeltast52 posted:

If I understand correctly, there are end of summer ravens and end of fall ravens, these are just the end of summer ravens.

Really? I didn't think the Westerosi had autumn or spring in their reckoning.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

Dendra posted:

And so it begins. How many scenes of Dany doing fuckall will there be this season?

Enigma89 is well on his way to becoming a jaded gently caress once he realizes there are 5 more seasons of Dany doing NOTHING and the loving dragons do not come to play anytime at all through the series*.

*because there will be no more books.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Dendra posted:

Tyrion's a targ dude

the wonder twins are targs Tyrion is deformed b/c he is a Lannister incest baby

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The fact that nothing happens means they could (but won't) just throw out most of Dany's "story" and start making poo poo up.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

EatDirt posted:

they'll just have to add lots of filer when they catch up to gurm.

All he's been doing is adding filler for two books now, so a few seasons of filler should fit the source material pretty well.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

I just had a stunning realization of who should be a sponsor for the Dance season of the TV series:

I'm pretty sure GRRM is writing with specific product placement in mind now.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

To be a GRRM apologist, Dany doing fuckall for 2 books is a deconstruction of the perfect princess story. She's a foreign conqueror who destabilized the entire world economy. These have serious repercussions, which stall her triumphant return with her ragtag army, if but for moral reasons. She's also an uneducated hormonal teenager, whose naivete has her make rash and ill thought out decisions. At the same time, she has talent, and if she can learn from her mistakes, may actually achieve her ambitions if she's willing to pay the price. Plus the reason for her army's loyalty is actually explained, rather than her having some amazing charismatic aura.

Still, I don't have an excuse for an entire chapter devoted to her bowel movements.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Aurubin posted:

Still, I don't have an excuse for an entire chapter devoted to her bowel movements.

To be a GRRM apologist there's gently caress all to eat in a desert and what there is tends to be poisonous. He was being realistic and it was more like a paragraph than a chapter.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
To be a GRRM apologist, I think not writing books is a pretty cool hobby. I do it all the time.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Tony Danza Claus posted:

To be a GRRM apologist, I think not writing books is a pretty cool hobby. I do it all the time.

Besides, watching NFL games is fun! When you're not a Bears fan, at least. :smith:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Urdnot Fire posted:

Besides, watching NFL games is fun! When you're not a Bears fan, at least. :smith:

What's with midwest teams picking crappy Florida quarterbacks?

(lol at Tebow going to the Jets, btw. GRRM gets to watch his team go 0-16 next year and he'll be too depressed to write about happy things he enjoys like rape and food)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I always figured Mel should be Alice Krige, myself. She pulls off insane and bizarre so drat well, she'd be a good fit for the role. And it's not like this show is afraid to telegraph things via stereotyped casting, as Ned showed.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aurubin posted:

To be a GRRM apologist, Dany doing fuckall for 2 books is a deconstruction of the perfect princess story. She's a foreign conqueror who destabilized the entire world economy. These have serious repercussions, which stall her triumphant return with her ragtag army, if but for moral reasons. She's also an uneducated hormonal teenager, whose naivete has her make rash and ill thought out decisions. At the same time, she has talent, and if she can learn from her mistakes, may actually achieve her ambitions if she's willing to pay the price. Plus the reason for her army's loyalty is actually explained, rather than her having some amazing charismatic aura.

It's a fantasy series.

She should just be automatically good at being queen. This argument is like saying JK Rowling didn't spend enough time on Harry and pals making flash cards for Magic Administration 203 and getting the shits from magic cafeteria food.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Don't get me wrong, Stannis was casted perfectly, but am I the only one that imagined him being bald?

Also, that was hilarious how they ended it on babies and children getting killed, they should do that more often.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I thought Stan was bald, too, with a beard, even. Maybe they realized there's a bunch of bald men with beards and want to keep things as distinct as possible.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Really? I didn't think the Westerosi had autumn or spring in their reckoning.

This wiki article says change of the seasons, and we have white ravens at the start of clash and then again in dance so I'm assuming that autumn is there, possibly just as a period between the end of summer and the start of winter.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/White_Ravens

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Mel drank first!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

savinhill posted:

Mel drank first!

Yeah, that got me too, I liked Cressen drinking anyways after seeing that he failed instead of the suicide sip we had.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

savinhill posted:

Mel drank first!

Did take a a little bit of the edge off the situation when Cressan started bleeding from the nose. I wonder if they filmed it both ways and decided to use him drinking first, because the sadness of his martyrdom is hard to establish without his internal monologue.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I think it was more to establish that Melisandre is someone who is far more powerful than anyone else we've seen (besides Dany and the funeral pyre).

Aurubin posted:

When Carcetti was getting accosted by Cersei, they ended that scene by focusing on the little boy scrubbing the floor. Think they'll go into Varys' subplot in more detail than the books?

On Varys: Aegon is a Blackfyre, and Illyrio and Varys are playing a larger version of their early con; stealing a kingdom and selling it back to those they stole it from.

I agree - I hope we get a scene with Varys finding Ser Barristan in KL and him being sent off to Pentos to meet with Illyrio because as viewers we obviously lose that awesome reveal of Artsan / Barristan that we got as readers and also it shows the depths of Varys' scheming in small ways to the non-readers.

geeves fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 2, 2012

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Aurubin posted:

Did take a a little bit of the edge off the situation when Cressan started bleeding from the nose. I wonder if they filmed it both ways and decided to use him drinking first, because the sadness of his martyrdom is hard to establish without his internal monologue.

I think it worked out better this way because without internal thoughts it would be difficult to get across the idea that she knew she was drinking from a poisoned glass if she goes first - it just makes her look like a dip to be so trusting of him, even if she doesn't ultimately die. This way they could show clearly that she knew there was poison in that thing and she was going to drink it anyway so gently caress you. I mean, beyond her saying "I knew that was poisoned" out loud, it seems like a way to unconfuse the audience a little.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009

Sophia posted:

I think it worked out better this way because without internal thoughts it would be difficult to get across the idea that she knew she was drinking from a poisoned glass if she goes first - it just makes her look like a dip to be so trusting of him, even if she doesn't ultimately die. This way they could show clearly that she knew there was poison in that thing and she was going to drink it anyway so gently caress you. I mean, beyond her saying "I knew that was poisoned" out loud, it seems like a way to unconfuse the audience a little.
If I'm remembering correctly, right before Mel drinks in the books she whispers to Cressen something to the effect of "It's not too late to stop." before she drinks. They could have had her say something ominous to show that she knew it was poisoned.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

mind the walrus posted:

You say this like it was a change of pace. GRRM has literally had to give her, in order-- a witch, loving dragons, an Exodus metaphor, a House of Hallucination Horrors, and a loving army of Eunuchs and still finds him writing her bent over, making GBS threads water and pining for ~~Daario~~.

Yikes, I never thought about it like that but...drat.

Dany really does have a lot of the most fun stuff in the series surrounding her and she's almost literally sitting on all of it and doing nothing. poo poo Aegon didn't even get to her and he was like "aaaagh, gently caress it lets go back to where the fun is"

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Episode count of Dany doing nothing: 1/1.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Ros, Queen of Whores.

And Littlefinger with the sick burns on Cersei.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Rape Jake. posted:

Just got through my second watch of season 1. Literally cannot wait for Robb Stark to ride his Direwolf through the gates of Kings Landing and Ice the entire Lannister Household. If anything other than this happens I'm going back to Harry Potter.

:laugh:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Ross posted:

:laugh:
How could he go back to Harry Potter? It doesn't have nearly enough scenes involving diarrhea, rape, torture or child molestation after all.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Speaking of mounting direwolves, this season should bring us some horrible fanart, considering that GoT is now officially popular.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bigmcgaffney posted:

And Littlefinger with the sick burns on Cersei.

That scene was extra-grade retarded. I get that the whole point is that Littlefinger oversteps his bounds, but he was doing everything short of saying "I run the kingdom now because I know a dirty secret about you." Yeah yeah Cersei was taunting him, I still call bullshit.

He's a smarter character than that, and as a smaller guy who has spent his life serving richer aristocrats he should already be well-loving-versed in the age-old practice of "I'm bigger/richer than you, therefore I can do what I want to you." I'll grant he needed to forget that for the purposes of the scene and it suits a human being to make a bad judgment call in the heat of a moment, but they still needed to tone down his threats. But if they did I guess the bottom 10% of viewers might not realize what he's on about. Ah, visual drama :allears:

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

For how compressed this episode felt it makes me revisit my position on them cutting stuff. For the most part they've just rearranged things, but they've still got the Greyjoys, Dorne, Cersei being an idiot, Jaime and Brienne, Jamie alone, Brienne alone, Arya alone, Sansa alone, Davos alone, Tyrion and Connington, Connington and Aegon, and then Tyrion, Jorah, and Penny.

These are the subplots that open in addition to the the already existing Wall, Dany and Stannis subplots. I don't envy the screenwriters after this season.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Comrade Question posted:

Speaking of mounting direwolves, this season should bring us some horrible fanart, considering that GoT is now officially popular.

Speaking of mounting direwolves, Grey Wind's giant CGI head is going to look lovely on Robb's body. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Hey, random question about Renly-Loras: is Renly established as a top or are they generic tv gay? Jamie's reference to holes even Renly never found and the slurp scene in season one seem to support this, giving us an interesting juxtaposition that Loras, the masterful lancer and warrior, isn't the one doing the spearing. Yep, this is the bad thread :gay: