Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamned amazing show. Holy poo poo. Wishes was 4th of July sparklers compared to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'll be there tomorrow to see it.

...After stopping at Sea World to hit up the last day of their food festival.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Watched the live stream. That show was even amazing on video.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't stream, took video in UHD though but phone cam not really strong at night shots like this by the looks of it. I'll find out when I get home.

https://goo.gl/photos/m2RfNx5vgcpFRFVu9

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 13, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tim Whatley posted:

Watched the live stream. That show was even amazing on video.

Same, and same. Disney is pretty good at fireworks shows, you guys.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Umm, if they are selling this in poster form anywhere, I will be happy to paypal someone to get a copy sent to me. TIA

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure but next time we are at MK we will look around. What kind of object is money in the event I find this? I cannot imagine they won't sell it because any opportunity to make a buck Disney won't pass up. Ever.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

demonR6 posted:

Not sure but next time we are at MK we will look around. What kind of object is money in the event I find this? I cannot imagine they won't sell it because any opportunity to make a buck Disney won't pass up. Ever.

After a lot of searching, I'm 100% sure they never sold the Wishes poster that I asked about last week. It was displayed in the same spot too. I'm almost tempted to do my best at recreating it in Illustrator.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, I just remembered I can use the shop app for that kinda stuff and still use my discount as well. Just checked and it's not there. If anyone happens to see it in the parks, give me a shout out, otherwise I'll be checking the app for now.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Bottom Liner posted:

After a lot of searching, I'm 100% sure they never sold the Wishes poster that I asked about last week. It was displayed in the same spot too. I'm almost tempted to do my best at recreating it in Illustrator.

Do it and please keep us posted on this!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Headed to the west coast for work. Looking to carve out time for a run through the Guardians ride. Will post a trip report if it goes through.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Close enough for government work?

Also it was nutty last night..

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Headed to Burbank for work at the end of the month with a side trip to DLR. Hoping to get into the new Guardians ride while I am there, will report back if I do.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Lots of rain today (finally) but it's not stopping me.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crazy how more modern happily ever after is. And that's coming from someone watching a daily live feed lol.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
If any of y'all are doing the Pandora AP preview, just be aware that you will want to be there early. They will likely limit entrance to Flights of Passage to people who are given paper fastpasses for a specific time, and if you don't have one, you may not get to ride. These FPs are first come first serve.

they were doing this all through CM previews, but apparently it's more of an issue with the AP previews, since I've seen lots of twitter complaints about this. They are doing this because the ride is not even close to full capacity yet (only one theater was being used for our previews) and it keeps overheating, so it's up and down all day. If the ride manages to stay up for a period of time, they may allow more to ride. I was able to ride twice because of this. We rode during our allotted FP time, then later we were chatting with the CMs out front and they asked if we wanted to ride again (which was a resounding Hell Yes)

It broke down about an hour or two later and had to be off for like two hours. Soooooo it's rough going at the moment.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Really cool new show. Only thing I don't like is that you have to be in the hub to see most of it.

http://twitter.com/cchard/status/863568482054664193

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

If any of y'all are doing the Pandora AP preview, just be aware that you will want to be there early. They will likely limit entrance to Flights of Passage to people who are given paper fastpasses for a specific time, and if you don't have one, you may not get to ride. These FPs are first come first serve.

they were doing this all through CM previews, but apparently it's more of an issue with the AP previews, since I've seen lots of twitter complaints about this. They are doing this because the ride is not even close to full capacity yet (only one theater was being used for our previews) and it keeps overheating, so it's up and down all day. If the ride manages to stay up for a period of time, they may allow more to ride. I was able to ride twice because of this. We rode during our allotted FP time, then later we were chatting with the CMs out front and they asked if we wanted to ride again (which was a resounding Hell Yes)

It broke down about an hour or two later and had to be off for like two hours. Soooooo it's rough going at the moment.

Thanks for this. I'm going to be one of the few CM aps getting in I bet so I'm going to try to gain favor and not be a huge dick. :3

You working Tuesday? Maybe I'll finally introduce myself!!!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We're going on the 18th and will be taking early off from work so we don't have complications that day. I think our pass is for the latter half of the day too. Thanks for the heads up, my wife would blow a loving head gasket if we were not able to get on the ride.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Hey guys I have a little strange request. It's not really about Walt Disney World but more general about theme parks. You see I've been playing a lot of Planet Coaster recently which is an awesome Theme Park game and so I've been searching for pictures of parks/Roller coaster to get inspiration from so I can build silly stuff in my own park afterwards.

Until now I've just been googling but honestly there is a lot of the same things on it and since I don't really know any parks or attractions I was wondering if you guys knew about blogs or websites with a lot of pictures of Roller coasters/Park decorations?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you looking for just roller coasters? There's a roller coaster database but honestly the best thing is probably POV videos on YouTube.

Look up universal studios, Disney world, SeaWorld,Busch gardens. Those are the gold standards in the US atleast

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Not only coasters but also theming, interesting layouts of areas etc... Thanks a lot I'll give them a try

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
For layouts you could possibly GIS old maps for theme parks that you like. They obviously wouldn't be to scale, but would give you an idea. Alternatively you could just use Google Earth for famous parks. Travel Channel used to have a show about coasters and if it taught me anything it's that coaster fans are fanatical and have all kinds of blogs or newsletters, try tracking down some of those episodes.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, most of Disney's coasters are hidden behind theming so if you're looking for some sort of track layout, that's going to be hard to get from pictures.
If you want to see the theming at the parks, check bloggers. I know most usually do a general theming update when seasons change so you can see the different decorations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also staying at grand Floridian tomorrow can't loving wait fulfilling a dream. Do you guys recommend eating there at all?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Le0 posted:

Not only coasters but also theming, interesting layouts of areas etc... Thanks a lot I'll give them a try

The internet is a little light on theming and layout analysis; most enthusiast places I'm aware of focus on roller coasters. Brosephine is right in that those parks are the gold standard. They're all highly visited parks, so you can go to Google Maps and use street view to see photo spheres of major locations in the parks. Passport to Dreams writes pretty extensively about constructing a theme.

I know you said not just coaster design but it goes without saying that the internet is flush with places to find information on them. So much so it can be hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. It may help to know the major manufacturers out there (which i don't think Planet Coaster really gives you, even though their designs are faithful to their real life counterparts down to restraint design). From there, you can start picking out notable coasters from their recent portfolio, then incorporate elements into your park. For steel coasters, you want to be looking at Arrow, Intamin, and especially B&M. For wooden coasters, Great Coasters International is a good one. The current hotness in coasters is Rocky Mountain Construction's hybrid designs. Most coasters that were operational in the 00's will have POVs on youtube. Also, check out Terrain Coasters, which usually interact with their environment in a more interesting way than "sitting top of a parking lot."

Boxman fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 15, 2017

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Also staying at grand Floridian tomorrow can't loving wait fulfilling a dream. Do you guys recommend eating there at all?

Well, I just did the Afternoon Tea there and my sister and I loved it. I know it's kind of a floofy thing to do but the food is spectacular! We got the cheapest tea package and it was still quite a bit of food. The tiny sandwiches were so good. There was chicken curry, egg salad, goat cheese, and cucumber. The little circle is an onion tart which was stupid good. Then we had scones with lemon curd, clotted cream, and apricot jam. Then you get to choose a dessert. Mine was the chocolate cherry trifle with the GF in cocoa powder. It was AWESOME!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That actually looks real cool drat.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Food is OK there. Except for V&A I think the menus are all similar to the other restaurants (one chicken dish, one pork, one veggie, one fish, one or two steaks).

But if you drink check out Mizner's. It's my favorite place at WDW to relax and have a cocktail.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

the Grand Floridian Cafe for lunch has some good options, including an amazing open faced ham and turkey sandwhich with beschemel and crispy onions.

Also Gasparilla Grill, the quick service, has a mean burger called the Gaspy served with pulled pork and fresh house made chips on the side.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Red River Hogs born at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool we'll prob go to gasparilla just out of interest

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Get a cocktail at Mizners while listening to the jazz band play! They take requests too!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pandora was alright will post thoughts later. Grand Floridian amazing though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quick thoughts on Pandora. Theming is good. Navi river isn't. Boring and relies heavily on screens instead of animatronics. It really feels like they blew their budget on flight of passage abd the one animatronic in this ride and cobbled something together. Of note is the laughable projection animatronic in the beginning of the ride.

Kind of places the death nail into the idea of a animatronic heavy dark ride I guess for the future. :(.

Banshee ride is really just a 3D version of the simpsons / soarin ride. Simpsons is one of my favorite rides ever so I liked it. It's fun but -and I apologize for not agreeing - not some super amazing leap forward. The bReathing under you is cool but you forget about it a minute in. That said it is a fun ride. Not that thrilling but good. Props to Disney for making the screen really feel like it encapsulates you though. That was the major problem with soarin and they fixed it. Ride broke down about three times on us though so.

Didn't like the frozen margarita at all. Didn't get to try the quick service but it looked good. A lot of the fun was the theming though and it felt so real it was great. :) it feels totally unconnected to animal kingdom though and the scene in banshee where they tried to tie it into real animals was funny.

Overall thoughts:

Skip River Journey
Ride Banshee
Still not better than Everest.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If it's not better than Everest, I'll be fine. Everest, in my opinion, is literally the best ride in the parks.
And I have to disagree with the animatronics death knell. Splash and Pirates are still crazy popular, and even mine train has some really impressive examples of it. I don't think it's going anywhere just yet

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I meant that more in it's not the best ride in the parks still.

But in regards to the animatronics I definitely had some hyperbole but it was just a bit upsetting to see things that could've been animatronics in river journey be screens. Splash is my favorite ride ever so I would've preferred the animatronics I just think Disney may go down this screen based rides path that Universal took.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

One of the Star Wars rides is supposed be almost all animatronics and practical sets. I think it really depends on the ride, not necessarily a philosophy change from the company. If Frozen Ever After is any indication they're definitely still advancing animatronic technology.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Doesnt Shanghai have some amazing animatronics in Pirates?

Like the skeleton that turns into Capt Jack? Oh wait that uses a screen. But it still has the animatronic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

BlueBayou posted:

Doesnt Shanghai have some amazing animatronics in Pirates?

Like the skeleton that turns into Capt Jack? Oh wait that uses a screen. But it still has the animatronic.

Disney is about blending screens and animatronics (sometimes together, like Mine Train or Frozen)

and Empress, I must heartily disagree. I love River Journey because of how simple it is. Disney has been making big giant "this is the best ride ever" rides for new expansions for years now, so it's nice to see something small, simple, relaxing, and something all ages can ride. Most new theme park lands (Disney or elsewhere) tend to forget kids when building this stuff.