Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Sarcasmatron posted:

When I was 22, I spent 3 days there with my g/f and 2 of her stripper friends, all of whom were on MDMA the first two days and drunk the entire time. I was sober.

It was, in fact, the Happiest Place on Earth.

Good with money.

I think you need to expand on this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mocking Bird posted:

I'm going to guess they missed a month's rent here and there every year since they moved in and when they began paying rent again, they didn't pay off the balance. So if you miss every fourth payment...

You'd have to stay at the same place for about a hundred months, missing every fourth rent payment, and never getting evicted this entire time. We're talking eight plus years, and a landlord who's willing to forego late rent for that long a time.

Story doesn't make sense.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

cowofwar posted:

Wait, you went to Disneyworld with your husband and and no children?

Jesus, why? Go to a beach in Cozumel or something for $2,000.

True Story : I loving hate the tropics and beaches. I'm pale, I need places to hide, I'm allergic to most sunscreens. We've visited a ton of great Northern cities and some of Europe. I had always been a bit curious about Disney and he loves it so we did his birthday there. We did a ton of adult stuff like the epcot beer and wine fest, Swan and dolphin beer and wine fest, we are big on food experiences and Victoria and alberts was probably worth the whole trip. However the parks themselves... Eh.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Sarcasmatron posted:

When I was 22, I spent 3 days there with my g/f and 2 of her stripper friends, all of whom were on MDMA the first two days and drunk the entire time. I was sober.

It was, in fact, the Happiest Place on Earth.

Good with money.

Sounds fun for the girls but why were you sober? I hate being the only sober one in a group of drunk or high people who are having a blast.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

nickutz posted:

Sounds fun for the girls but why were you sober? I hate being the only sober one in a group of drunk or high people who are having a blast.

Because I don't drink or get high anymore. In any event, I had a blast.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Our landlords are family friends

That's how

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
These posts are insane. I though I was bad with $2,000 in credit card debt and building student loan debt now. Even when I'm done it's only looking to be around $25,000 in debt total. The hardest part is going to be finding a job as a 30 year resent collage grad that lives in small town USA. would move to the city but the GF/mother of my son owns a house next to here parents and that is not getting sold for us to move anytime soon (they helped to buy it and fix it up). Plus jobs are getting harder and harder to find in my area you see houses going up for sale all over from coal miners having to relocate to find work. I don't miss the moving around from that job how ever i do miss the $25+/hr. with full benefits payed for by the company including 3 weeks vacation. drat I wish I had invested a third of the money I made back then.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My kid had a friend whose mom was obsessed with Disney. Had fake Micky Mouse topiary in her yard and her house was crawling with every imaginable plush or vinyl Disney character. Like 3 curio cabinets between the kitchen and living room stuffed with poo poo. Not to mention crap on every flat surface. The father traveled a lot for work. Every day in a crowded airport or lovely hotel must have been pure bliss for him.

They've lived there 8 years and haven't paid rent in 2 years. Landlords are family friends. I'm going to make a wild guess there isn't a lease (or if there was it's since expired).

The landlord could sue, but that's more than most Small Claims limits so they'd need a lawyer. Plus they waited two years and there probably isn't a valid lease. So that guy just got away with 2 years of no rent. Officially GOOD with money. Granted now they have to move somewhere that requires rent.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Bigfabdaddy posted:

These posts are insane. I though I was bad with $2,000 in credit card debt and building student loan debt now. Even when I'm done it's only looking to be around $25,000 in debt total. The hardest part is going to be finding a job as a 30 year resent collage grad that lives in small town USA. would move to the city but the GF/mother of my son owns a house next to here parents and that is not getting sold for us to move anytime soon (they helped to buy it and fix it up). Plus jobs are getting harder and harder to find in my area you see houses going up for sale all over from coal miners having to relocate to find work. I don't miss the moving around from that job how ever i do miss the $25+/hr. with full benefits payed for by the company including 3 weeks vacation. drat I wish I had invested a third of the money I made back then.

What was the point of getting a degree if you can't go to the jobs to use it? Don't let your career be dictated by circumstance. You've gotta make your own opportunities, and what you do now will set the stage for yourself going into your peak earning years.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Not a Children posted:

What was the point of getting a degree if you can't go to the jobs to use it? Don't let your career be dictated by circumstance. You've gotta make your own opportunities, and what you do now will set the stage for yourself going into your peak earning years.

Currently I'm close enough to a few "populated" areas to commute to work everyday. Willing to do it now but have only been called back by places offering minimum wage and that wont cover child support to my ex-wife+gas+food+everything else needed for the month. Plus there are a few places in my town that do computer networking which is what my degree is in. I am also self learning computer programming and already have a get hub account to possibly make some money on the side if not become my main income.

Once I do start working I plan to get a budget made by that one goon. Hopefully this will help me to accomplish the thing i want to do in the future including paying off all my debt way faster than what my loans and such claim in can be done in while maintaining a better way of life than i am currently able to do on my own.

Bigfabdaddy fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 5, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Bigfabdaddy posted:

Currently I'm close enough to a few "populated" areas to commute to work everyday. Willing to do it now but have only been called back by places offering minimum wage and that wont cover child support to my ex-wife+gas+food+everything else needed for the month. Plus there are a few places in my town that do computer networking which is what my degree is in. I am also self learning computer programming and already have a get hub account to possibly make some money on the side if not become my main income.

Once I do start working I plan to get a budget made by that one goon. Hopefully this will help me to accomplish the thing i want to do in the future including paying off all my debt way faster than what my loans and such claim in can be done in while maintaining a better way of life than i am currently able to do on my own.
Why don't you start with going to this thread and making your own budget?

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

SiGmA_X posted:

Why don't you start with going to this thread and making your own budget?

Hmmm, didn't know that thread was there to be honest. Thank you for pointing it out. Lots of ideas already.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Bigfabdaddy posted:

Hmmm, didn't know that thread was there to be honest. Thank you for pointing it out. Lots of ideas already.
Im glad to point you toward it, that's what BFC is for - Goons helping Goons get ahead in their financial life, and avoid becoming Bad With Money poster children like SloMo!

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I really don't want to start a huge derail but you do NOT need a $25,000 degree to go into computer networking...

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.
On the $12k rent guy, maybe that figure includes fines and interest?
edit: or maybe the landlord just made it up, considering these people clearly have no idea of their own debt

jaymeekae fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 5, 2015

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

jaymeekae posted:

On the $12k rent guy, maybe that figure includes fines and interest?
edit: or maybe the landlord just made it up, considering these people clearly have no idea of their own debt

I'm betting it's legitimate. They probably just hesitated to notify them earlier because it's their best friend's dumbass kid or something.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I just can't get over that one, because they spend almost their rent each month on cigarettes. If you read the comments she says it goes to cigs, vacations, iTunes games...

I really think she's painting a rosy picture. I'd bet almost 100% they knew what they were doing and that they were stealing/taking advantage. I doubt they knew the figures, but they absolutely had to know they weren't doing the right thing. I've had family members exploit generosity like that and while they weren't keeping track, they certainly knew. Thankfully it was just a gas card so maybe a few hundred bucks, but the same principle.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2uv3sy/question_is_it_possible_for_a_family_of_4_to/ posted:

I'll be 47 this year and have a decent nest egg in an ESOP account averaging a rate of return of roughly 18%. My ESOP would be paid out over a 10 year period while hopefully still averaging around 18% as I take disbursements. I would reinvest most (75%) of the money from those disbursements for the first 5 years. Of note: I have two younger kids and a significant other to provide for. We actually live fairly frugally right now with over half of our $50K annual income going towards housing/utilities. Outstanding debt (aside from mortgage) comes in at $20K. If we were to use the equity in the house we currently live in, we could potentially buy a smaller house with more property and use solar for most of our energy needs. If housing and and electricity costs were no longer a concern and debt were eliminated, would it be possible to live off $25K for approximately 5 years? What if I took double that amount ($50K) after the first 5 years and reinvested the other $50K+ each year? Which states are tax-retirement friendly for early retirees? How can I do this without the IRS taking a huge chunk of my nest egg? What kind of income/nest egg am I looking at down the road? Where should I reinvest the bulk of my initial disbursements? Help me come up with a realistic game plan. Any advice is appreciated (even playing the Devil's advocate). Thanks in advance for any and all helpful input.

This one might be a troll, but he's claiming that he's been getting ~20% returns on his ESOP for the past 20 years and wants to know if he can retire now by going off the grid in a low-tax state. Lots of pie-in-the-sky thinking, absolutely zero numbers to back it up.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

SiGmA_X posted:

Im glad to point you toward it, that's what BFC is for - Goons helping Goons get ahead in their financial life, and avoid becoming Bad With Money poster children like SloMo!

I only wish I had been smarter with my money when i was making $25+ and hour. I might not have to work at this point. HAHAHA

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Not a Children posted:

This one might be a troll, but he's claiming that he's been getting ~20% returns on his ESOP for the past 20 years and wants to know if he can retire now by going off the grid in a low-tax state. Lots of pie-in-the-sky thinking, absolutely zero numbers to back it up.

The comments are good in this one too, the OP gets indignant and argues with anyone that doesn't reaffirm their plan.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2uvz8z/i_am_20_years_old_70k_in_debt_and_make_about/?sort=confidence posted:

I am 20 years old, $70k in debt and make about $24,000 a year. What can I do?

So I graduated from a private college for audio production back in December of 2013 with a whopping $70k of debt racked up. I work part time but average around 40-48 hours a week in broadcasting which is widely known as a poor-paying industry.

Here's my problem: my student loans are around $900 dollars a month split among multiple federal and private loans. (I believe it's $600 in private loans and the rest in federal loans.) I had to drop the lease on my apartment and move back in with my parents to afford the monthly payments. The only things I really pay for are my loans, gas, and to take my girlfriend on dates and occasionally buy her a gift for a birthday or holiday.

I have looked into refinancing my loans but it seems like the rule of thumb is you need to have 12 months of previous payments before anyone will even look at your application.

Is there anything I can do to lower my loans or is it just a waiting game?

What can I do to better manage my money? Should I learn how the stock market functions? Would that even be beneficial with my limited amount of money to spend?

I am starting to fear where I might be a couple years down the road. I have had people tell me that I'll never be able to afford a house or kids. I have every intention of marrying my girlfriend and planning ahead long-term is starting to become scary with people telling me I won't be able to provide for her.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

In the comments the OP reveals that the $70k was for an associates degree.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

turevidar posted:

The poor, stupid guy is putting half of his income pre-taxes just to make the minimum payments. Assuming he manages to ever pay it off he's going to end up paying over a hundred grand for an associates degree.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

turevidar posted:

Woooooow. I paid around $10k for my first ~120 credits at a community college... Books and all... If I wanted an Associates vs just credit transfer to university, same cost, slightly different class load.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
$70k is tuition for an MBA at the top public schools, and that guy spent it for an associates at a for-profit degree mill. :homebrew:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

Woooooow. I paid around $10k for my first ~120 credits at a community college... Books and all... If I wanted an Associates vs just credit transfer to university, same cost, slightly different class load.

You Americans are crazy. I took 6 years to do my undergrad (class of 2004) away from home and did 3 years of law school (class of 2008), also living away from home. I worked $15/hr part time during school, full time in the summers, applied for scholarships bursaries and came out of it with $23,000 in loans. :canada:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

SiGmA_X posted:

I thought most universities would only accept about 60 to 75 credits from a community college towards a bachelor's? Unless credits work differently where you are.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Mantle posted:

You Americans are crazy. I took 6 years to do my undergrad (class of 2004) away from home and did 3 years of law school (class of 2008), also living away from home. I worked $15/hr part time during school, full time in the summers, applied for scholarships bursaries and came out of it with $23,000 in loans. :canada:
Dang! Were you paying for school in addition to scholarship and loans? Either way, 23k in loans for a law degree in the USA would be missing a zero!

Armacham posted:

I thought most universities would only accept about 60 to 75 credits from a community college towards a bachelor's? Unless credits work differently where you are.
I'd have to go check my transcript, I think I transferred the maximum of 124cr (I had CompSci interests in high school so those classes all transferred too, in addition to 100% of the 100&200 levels I needed for my B.S.)

I'm in Oregon so we use quarter credits - in semester credits it would be ~83cr. I just checked and the Oregon University system allows 124 quarter credits to transfer.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 5, 2015

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

More a story about people trying to make me become bad (worse?) with money, but here goes:

Next year I'll be starting my first real job. It pays well but its in a somewhat expensive city - I'll probably be looking at 1200-1600 in rent for a 1 bedroom apartment (bad with money?). Guess what my parents want me to do?

Buy a condo. :cripes:

Then buy a house in a few years and rent out the condo. :suicide:

xie
Jul 29, 2004

You're probably best off getting a 2br with a roommate, or a 3br even. 1Br is the worst "value" for apartments, since adding a second or third bedroom doesn't double the price.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

Dang! Were you paying for school in addition to scholarship and loans? Either way, 23k in loans for a law degree in the USA would be missing a zero!

Yeah, my jobs were able to pay 100% of my undergraduate tuition AND living costs-- I forgot to mention that I did work two coop terms in addition to my summer jobs. The $23k was entirely from my law degree and I did have to liquidate all of my savings (from my coop jobs) so I had -$23k net worth immediately after graduating.

I'm the most frugal out of all my law school peers. The ones that I've talked to graduated with $80-100k in loans so they could pay $1100/mo in rent to live in trendy areas of town. I lived with roommates and in shared housing.

Oh some other cool things that I did in university for cheap/free:

Lived in Taiwan for a year on exchange
Lived in Taiwan for another year on a full ride scholarship from the Taiwanese Ministry of Education (tuition, living expense covered)
Lived in Singapore for a year on exchange, $15k scholarship that basically covered all expenses

Just shows that being good with money doesn't mean you have to have a miserable experience in life.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Mantle posted:

Yeah, my jobs were able to pay 100% of my undergraduate tuition AND living costs-- I forgot to mention that I did work two coop terms in addition to my summer jobs. The $23k was entirely from my law degree and I did have to liquidate all of my savings (from my coop jobs) so I had -$23k net worth immediately after graduating.

I'm the most frugal out of all my law school peers. The ones that I've talked to graduated with $80-100k in loans so they could pay $1100/mo in rent to live in trendy areas of town. I lived with roommates and in shared housing.

Oh some other cool things that I did in university for cheap/free:

Lived in Taiwan for a year on exchange
Lived in Taiwan for another year on a full ride scholarship from the Taiwanese Ministry of Education (tuition, living expense covered)
Lived in Singapore for a year on exchange, $15k scholarship that basically covered all expenses

Just shows that being good with money doesn't mean you have to have a miserable experience in life.
Very bright of you! My employer only will pay $2500/yr toward a masters...that *almost* covers one term at the local public school. Fuckers. The CEO justified why to everyone yesterday at a Q/A session - too many useless classes were taken that don't apply to the company. Which is BS because the same class/degree-relating-to-job-path rules have been in place for a decade+, back when they paid $7500/yr and local public undergrad was at about $6k/yr...

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

VostokProgram posted:

More a story about people trying to make me become bad (worse?) with money, but here goes:

Next year I'll be starting my first real job. It pays well but its in a somewhat expensive city - I'll probably be looking at 1200-1600 in rent for a 1 bedroom apartment (bad with money?). Guess what my parents want me to do?

Whatever you do do not buy that loving condo and tell your retarded parents to go to hell. I listened to mine and I'm finally moving to an apartment in 2 months...eating a 48k loss on the condo from age 26 to 31.

gently caress you, dad.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I gave up a $65k salary to become a janitor making ~20k a year. Someone tell me I'm not crazy.

quote:

I had a high paying job as a chemical engineer, but hated everything about it. I was competent and accurate in everything I did, and I was good at it. But I hated everything about the job, what it did to me mentally, physically, and emotionally, and just couldn't do it anymore. I quit on a whim and now I'm a janitor at a grocery store, but I'm happier than I've ever been. The loss in salary is a pretty heavy hit, but I'm trying to find the positive in what I did. Please, tell me I'm not stupid in doing what I did. Or if it was a stupid move, tell me that I'm trying to make sense of my impulsive decision.

Edit: Thanks for all the support and debate everyone! First, I didn't necessarily quit on a whim. There was a good two or three month period that I debated quitting, and one night I got yet another email from yet another person that couldn't do their job, and I made up my mind right then and there. I had a good amount saved, so quitting wasn't going to cripple me financially. I gave up very good health care and benefits, but now that I sleep during regular human hours, and I'm not emotionally drained after twelve hour shifts, I don't need the awesome health care plan as much.

As for everyone that believes I'm an idiot, I don't really give a poo poo what you think to be honest (I do. I totally care, but I'm trying to sound tough). I'm going to culinary school, I'm passionate about creating awesome food. Yes, I worked hard for the job I had, but what's the point of spending 60% of my life sitting at a desk, and another 30% sleeping? I'd like more than 10% of my life to myself. I'm a different person after the decision. I'm happy for once, and I honestly didn't think that was a possibility.

As for the other financial info, here goes: I have a $7k loan out for a car. That's it. I have rent to pay and food to buy. I have the savings to go back to school and not think about running my car into the freeway median every time I go to and from work. I realize this is personal finance, and this post may not be about the actual money side of things, but this subreddit has given me good advice in the past, and why I wouldn't I want to hear from the toughest critics?

I don't even know what to say.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

quote:

I'm going to culinary school, I'm passionate about creating awesome food

Ah, yes, "follow your dreams."

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I wonder how much savings he has

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

VostokProgram posted:

Guess what my parents want me to do?

Buy a condo. :cripes:

Then buy a house in a few years and rent out the condo. :suicide:

Parents are from this lost time that no longer exists. You calculate what you can afford, not just do things without thinking.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

Very bright of you! My employer only will pay $2500/yr toward a masters...that *almost* covers one term at the local public school. Fuckers. The CEO justified why to everyone yesterday at a Q/A session - too many useless classes were taken that don't apply to the company. Which is BS because the same class/degree-relating-to-job-path rules have been in place for a decade+, back when they paid $7500/yr and local public undergrad was at about $6k/yr...

Oh another good with money thing I tell my school age cousins is-- JOIN THE ARMY RESERVES! Note that this doesn't mean you have to join a combat arms unit, or even the Army per se (Air Force and Navy is also an option). You get $2000/year in tuition reimbursement, flexible part time employment during school, full time employment (training) in the summers, and full time employment after school, if you want it. Otherwise you can keep doing it part time working around your civilian job.

Also because it's reserves you can say no to being deployed.

If you're smart you picked a trade that's related to your civilian employment so you get symbiotic networking benefits.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

From what he described he probably would have gone insane, and some people aren't suited to the stress of an engineering design office. He should have moved companies to find one with better hours. An 8 or 9 hour day of dealing with intense people and situations while trying to get engineering designs done is difficult enough without ridiculous hours. Too bad he didn't find a better job elsewhere in a company structure that would've suited him better. Now potential employers will think he became a janitor because he had no choice.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mantle posted:

Also because it's reserves you can say no to being deployed.

Uh...I don't think that's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Uh...I don't think that's true

It's Canada. We aren't sending our reservists to war.

• Locked thread