Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Poor guy.

E:

you have a source for these? they're pretty cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nahxela posted:

Laurentius is the pyromancer. I'm guessing you mean Lautrec.

Yeah, I get their names mixed up. Laurentius was a chill friend though as well. The hexer guy in this game sounds and talks similar to him but is a loser hiding in a cave so who cares.

Kimmalah posted:

You can one-shot those guys with Great Resonant Soul, so they aren't so bad when they die before they can do anything to you.

Nothing is bad when you are willing to use great resonant soul.

Shindragon posted:

Break every dragon egg you see. :v:

Every dragon egg that gets break increases the chances of it showing up. Break them all? Yeah mostly likely going to show up pissed off and drop on the bridge.

I was thinking to myself "something terrible is going to happen if I break an egg". Then I accidentally broke something and nothing did. I guess I was right after all though! Bridge didn't collapse for me anyways. I just sprinted across after reading a message that said "try confidence".

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 4, 2014

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Sivek posted:

It's an option at the Majula bonfire

Is this just for ng+? Do I not get to choose an ending this time around? Is the ending just "what happens in there only you get to see."?

I figured I would Get to choose to Restart the cycle all over again "link the flame" like the emerald watcher wants. Break the cycle. A third more neutral option.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Somone's gotta sell me on Greatshield bashing. It looks really cool but by the time I've wound up my victim has either shanked or avoided me.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Sivek posted:

What exactly triggers the Dragon Aerie bridge to fall? I was fighting an invader there my first time crossing it and after a while it collapsed and killed us both.

That was one of the coolest things in the game.
In addition to the egg thing, it's on a timer. It's pretty generous if you don't stand around and dawdle, even if you break eggs.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

There is no truer love than a pair of stacked gunpowder kegs laying the smackdown on the unknowing interloper in Bell Luna. :allears: God I love camouflage.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I cleared all 3 chasms for Pilg of Dark and then died to the boss at end. Then I discovered you have to clear all the phantoms to get back to the boss. God, such annoying design since it requires an effigy each time. I killed Grandahl out of rage. Not a hexer anyway. Thanks for the chime, buddy.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Those carriages in Aldia's keep... :stare:

Lots of "man, woman ahead" messages.

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Internet Kraken posted:

I was thinking to myself "something terrible is going to happen if I break an egg". Then I accidentally broke something and nothing did. I guess I was right after all though! Bridge didn't collapse for me anyways. I just sprinted across after reading a message that said "try confidence".

Someone wrote "monster" under a 3 pack of eggs. It made me feel bad :(

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
DING DING DING NEW SOULS GAME INCOMING

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cardboard Box posted:

you have a source for these? they're pretty cute

That artist has a tumblr. Here are their Dork Souls comics
http://setzeri.tumblr.com/post/65922254408/dork-souls
http://setzeri.tumblr.com/post/68063947081/more-dork-souls
http://setzeri.tumblr.com/post/80168540721/dork-souls-2

Anime ahead, therefore try horse

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Ruzihm posted:

Spoiling who the traitorous npc of this game is?

The game basically does everything it can to make this obvious, short of putting a big sign on her head (and in a way you get that too once you have the orb). It also has no impact on the overall plot, it's just a weird little tidbit in the world really.

Jay Rust posted:

Those carriages made me so nervous just because I kept expecting something horrible to bust out of them. Well played, From.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jay Rust posted:

Hurray for quagmire!

:quagmire:

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Hahahaha

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

thanks, you will find that I am very anime so I am non-plussed by this

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

this is about the 20th time these have been posted across the various Souls threads the past couple days, hahah. PS4 exclusive btw.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

These look gorgeous

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I can't beat smelter demon, gently caress that thing. I've tried a ton of times. I don't know how much more of this I can take!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really wish Aldia's Keep had been longer. I loved that level but just when it felt like it was hitting its stride I'm suddenly at the boss, who was completely separate from the level and also a huge chump.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

vandalism posted:

I can't beat smelter demon, gently caress that thing. I've tried a ton of times. I don't know how much more of this I can take!

Try taking out your frustration by leaving a message saying "i can't take this..."

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
The giant lord is giving me a surprising amount of trouble. Where did people have their cameras for that fight? I'm getting blindsided like crazy.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Internet Kraken posted:

I really wish Aldia's Keep had been longer. I loved that level but just when it felt like it was hitting its stride I'm suddenly at the boss, who was completely separate from the level and also a huge chump.

I really felt the same. After being in some of the initial reveals for it I was hoping for something so much more expansive and interesting than what it turned out to be. Not that the area was bad but I just wish it had more.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The worst thing is it's apparently PS4 exclusive. I hate that :(

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Internet Kraken posted:

I feel like the zones really started getting short after the crypt. The dragon shrine felt underwhelming to me, everything was just so dense and packed together.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Aldia's Keep through Dragon Shrine definitely should've been padded out in place of some of the really monotonous areas.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Drakes posted:

I feel like the zones really started getting short after the crypt. The dragon shrine felt underwhelming to me, everything was just so dense and packed together.

Yeah, it's cool when you first get there but then you hit the end of it and it's like "That's it?"

Same for Dragon Shrine I hit the end of it and was sure I'd missed something because it seemed too short.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

poptart_fairy posted:

Somone's gotta sell me on Greatshield bashing. It looks really cool but by the time I've wound up my victim has either shanked or avoided me.

It's effectively worthless, but then again it always has been.

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Aldia's Keep through Dragon Shrine definitely should've been padded out in place of some of the really monotonous areas.

If I could modify the back half of the game, I'd fold the Giant's Memories together into a single full length dungeon and pad out Aldia's Keep. Aerie and Shrine felt just about right, but that's because to me they feel like one contiguous area instead of two separate zones.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I guess there might finally be a reason to buy a PS4.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

lordfrikk posted:

The worst part is that it's not going to be on PC. That burns, but since I'm buying a PS4 for MGSV anyway, I'm just happy that they'll be able to design a game that doesn't chug when loading npc dialogue.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I don't know if I was under-leveled or what, but I could not get close to taking down The Rotten by myself. I think I was SL 60 with a longbow +5, and the most I ever took him down to was 50% health.

I recorded the whole thing as a... "fail compilation."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACLe06ETgq4

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

zfleeman posted:

I don't know if I was under-leveled or what, but I could not get close to taking down The Rotten by myself. I think I was SL 60 with a longbow +5, and the most I ever took him down to was 50% health.

I recorded the whole thing as a... "fail compilation."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACLe06ETgq4

Oh god. Good on you for finally doing it.

Out of curiousity, why do you not lock onto the boss at all?

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Foxhound posted:

I'm pretty bad at breaking the lock-on and rolling away in time. Er, well, I was for him. He was big enough to where ~80% of my shots were hitting.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Foxhound posted:

Oh god. Good on you for finally doing it.

Some bosses are easier to handle if you don't lock on. I know with The Rotten I was constantly breaking lock just to make it easier to get away while also avoiding the fire.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
But you can dash backwards without breaking lock-on, just press the dash button while backsteping. I suppose there is a small delay when you turn around though.

Anyway IMO, for Rotten at least, locking on makes it easier to time his swings.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Mazed posted:

So leave a red sign in the corridor leading up to Looking Glass Knight gives you a chance to be summoned through his mirror during someone's fight?

That is incredibly cool sounding, and I gotta do it. I don't care about pwning noobs in PvP, but I do care about giving other players a memorable Dark Souls experience. :black101:
whoa, hey. relevant follow-up: I had no idea the cracked eye orbs give a chance for a Looking Glass fight. The castle has been my go-to cracked eye spot since launch, and I just got a Looking Glass summon from one for the first time.

that was new.

I died within three seconds. that wasn't new.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Foxhound posted:

...locking on makes it easier to time his swings.

:shepicide:

That would have made his thousand-mile-long attack a little bit more predictable... Oh well, he's dead and gone and I never have to think about that trash-pile of a douche bag any more.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

zfleeman posted:

I'm pretty bad at breaking the lock-on and rolling away in time. Er, well, I was for him. He was big enough to where ~80% of my shots were hitting.

you can dodge side to side and stuff while still locked on

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Anyone else think DaS1/2 lore is just 'history has a strange way of repeating itself' with a little more depth in it?

zipzilchzero
Jan 1, 2006
At least I can promise nothing.
Is the only place to queue up to defend Belfry Sol inside of Belfry Sol itself?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Babyface Mingo posted:

Anyone else think DaS1/2 lore is just 'history has a strange way of repeating itself' with a little more depth in it?

There's always a king, a chosen undead and a throne :v: I dunno, I couldn't help but think of BS:I at some points during DS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

Sony owns the Demon's Souls name (thus Dark Souls) and there have been rumblings of a Demon's Souls 2 for a long time.