Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly? Probably none that they share. I'm pretty sure they're going to go all-in on the chance to tear that apart since we're in Trump's America now.

No way, the chance to say BvS is worse than propaganda films is too clickbaity a headline to not make happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also I just checked and Irons was not nominated, but Eisenberg was, which makes way more sense.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Unlike Snyder's confused epic, Hillary's America has ideas and principles - vile ideas and principles, but ideas and principles nonetheless."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Unlike Snyder's confused epic, Hillary's America has ideas and principles - vile ideas and principles, but principles nonetheless."

"Snyder can only hope to have a directorial style as unique as D'Souza's one day"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The underlying argument is always there - it was appropriate, uplifting, and humanizing. It was sad and bitter, but there is safety and comfort to it. Paternal comfort.

But now there is no safety and comfort.

And what is it replaced with? I've been largely focusing on story structure, and your argument seems to be that removing those elements of structure somehow improve the film? So let me flip the script, instead of challenging us to defend why we dislike the film 'for no reason' and then dismissing all reasons offered, what do you like about MoS as a film, in what ways does it execute it's story well as both a piece of cinema in general, and as a tentpole action film?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MacheteZombie posted:

The Razzies are just as stupid as actual awards shows.

Hence things like Noah getting nominated.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
gently caress... do I need to go and see Split now? (ending spoiler)I just heard it's kinda-sorta a sequel to Unbreakable (AKA the only Shyamalan movie worth a drat)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The underlying argument is always there - it was appropriate, uplifting, and humanizing. It was sad and bitter, but there is safety and comfort to it. Paternal comfort.

But now there is no safety and comfort.

She should join the "present-day" X-Men, as an adult.

It's not like it'd mess anything up at this point.

Time travel

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

gently caress... do I need to go and see Split now? (ending spoiler)I just heard it's kinda-sorta a sequel to Unbreakable (AKA the only Shyamalan movie worth a drat)

This is correct.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

It's actually getting good reviews too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's actually getting good reviews too.

I know! And if I wanna see an invincible Bruce Willis fight Professor X, I gotta make sure this thing makes bank

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaz-L posted:

I know! And if I wanna see an invincible Bruce Willis fight Professor X, I gotta make sure this thing makes bank

40 mil opening weekend on a 9 mil budget

it made bank

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The ending is patronizing at best. It's a terrible movie that honestly does no good things to mental health misconceptions this country already has and the twist at the end is honestly just a big ol' basket of member berries to get you to try and forget about how crappy the rest of the movie is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think anyone is going to see the movie where the multiple personality guy gets superpowers from it and think it's in any way meant to be a depiction of real mental illness.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think anyone is going to see the movie where the multiple personality guy gets superpowers from it and think it's in any way meant to be a depiction of real mental illness.

I think you're giving people far too much credit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you go see an M. Night Shyamalan movie expecting to see a realistic treatment of mental illness then maybe the problem is you.

Actually if you go see one of his movies at all that's probably the problem. Don't go see bad movies.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 24, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

X-O posted:

If you go see an M. Night Shyamalan movie expecting to see a realistic treatment of mental illness then maybe the problem is you.

Actually if you go see one of his movies at all that's probably the problem. Don't go see bad movies.

The Sixth Sense and the Village were good tho ???!?!? Also the Visit.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
There is literally 0 worth in the Razzies, but I still want Eisenberg to get one for that Luthor performance. Just for me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jackman has said that Logan happens in a alternative timeline and universe from the "main" X-men movie timeline. Which is interesting because it does give them a lot more freedom, but the X-men movie timeline is only slightly less confusing than the comics one. Also this means that moving Laura into the main X-men movies may not happen, which sucks a lot more than anything else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Jackman has said that Logan happens in a alternative timeline and universe from the "main" X-men movie timeline. Which is interesting because it does give them a lot more freedom, but the X-men movie timeline is only slightly less confusing than the comics one. Also this means that moving Laura into the main X-men movies may not happen, which sucks a lot more than anything else.

Director said he misspoke and meant timeframe.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RevKrule posted:

The ending is patronizing at best. It's a terrible movie that honestly does no good things to mental health misconceptions this country already has and the twist at the end is honestly just a big ol' basket of member berries to get you to try and forget about how crappy the rest of the movie is.

Mental illness is terrifying though and it needs to be looked at a lot closer than it is, so people who are need of it can get help.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

That's bullshit, someone just told him to stop making things more confusing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Dammit actors, stop running your mouths!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Doom Patrol though?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

And what is it replaced with? I've been largely focusing on story structure, and your argument seems to be that removing those elements of structure somehow improve the film? So let me flip the script, instead of challenging us to defend why we dislike the film 'for no reason' and then dismissing all reasons offered, what do you like about MoS as a film, in what ways does it execute it's story well as both a piece of cinema in general, and as a tentpole action film?

Superhero movies before Man of Steel can be broadly divided into being either juvenile (such as the Dark Knight or Iron Man trilogies) or silly (like The Rocketeer or Sam Raimi's Spider-Man) - this isn't to call them all bad, but it's their basic condition. Man of Steel has the distinction of being the first serious superhero movie. e: Well, second if you count Watchmen.

Some reviewers are very open about not liking this, like Cambridge Day's Tom Meek: "What's missing in Snyder's Superman is a dash of the hokey goodness that Christopher Reeve contributed to the role and the comic cold cheesiness that Gene Hackman and Terrence Stamp brought as Luthor and Zod."

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 24, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's always interesting to see people who used to be normal posters posting normal posts slowly but irrevocably turning into gimmick accounts who rely on their gimmicks for amusement. We don't always get to see the transitioning process in action, but in this case we've had the privilege of studying the conversion in an up-close, detailed fashion through the months.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I was going to suggest they've been emptyquoting this entire time, but then I remembered that's the gimmick of LotteryOfBabylon, who's an entirely different person, so I guess BravestOfTheLamps is just Actually Crazy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So how bout that Lego Batman Movie yall. Is anyone else as completely charmed by the whole aesthetic and character designs as I am? I feel like this is the Batman world I've been missing since B:TAS went off the air.

I really want to spend way too much money on batman lego sets now

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Blindly cheerful consumption is the kind of thing Lego Movie mocked, so it strikes me as missing the point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

It's always interesting to see people who used to be normal posters posting normal posts slowly but irrevocably turning into gimmick accounts who rely on their gimmicks for amusement. We don't always get to see the transitioning process in action, but in this case we've had the privilege of studying the conversion in an up-close, detailed fashion through the months.

Eh maybe hold onto those stones.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Blindly cheerful consumption is the kind of thing Lego Movie mocked, so it strikes me as missing the point.

I am deeply anti capitalism but if you don't like Lego you don't have a soul

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Suicide Squad is Oscar nominated.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Aphrodite posted:

So are Star Trek Beyond and Trolls

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool is not.

DC wins again!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The only Star Trek episode to ever win an Emmy is also widely considered to be the worst episode ever. Technical awards :argh:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

purple death ray posted:

So how bout that Lego Batman Movie yall. Is anyone else as completely charmed by the whole aesthetic and character designs as I am? I feel like this is the Batman world I've been missing since B:TAS went off the air.

I'm super down for anything that puts Batman down a peg, and every clip has been pretty funny already so i'm game. (Plus the visuals are amazing)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how the trailers poo poo on the people who think the only good Batman is the Joker.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Buzzkill

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

zoux posted:

The only Star Trek episode to ever win an Emmy is also widely considered to be the worst episode ever. Technical awards :argh:

Was it the super racist one

purple death ray posted:

Lego movie is great, I'm really hoping they can pull off Batman just as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I like how the trailers poo poo on the people who think the only good Batman is the Joker.

• Locked thread