Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

predicto posted:

I live in a very blue area, but I have never heard of a single young person who watches Fox News. They don't even watch TV other than Netflix.

they're not watching fox news (yet), they're watching crowder, shapiro, and jordan peterson wreck college feminists on youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cool dance moves posted:

I'm the vintage machine gun in the background

im the poo poo cannon front amd center

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

here's ben trying to clarify that he meant something that sounded less lovely:

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1161728109001003011

the minimum wage doesn’t exist???

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Al! posted:

gen z's problem is that their generation will be entirely insanely economically disadvantaged in a way that even millennials won't understand, not that they're all secret nazis because of youtube and twitch or whatever you olds
propaganda isn't real i assure myself as i close my eyes and get frog marched into a concentration camp

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
go check out alt right twitter for like two minutes, its full of (largely white and male, but not exclusively) zoomers. even if theres serious astroturfing going on, the engagement is there in huge numbers

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Every gen has it's own dumb world to contend with while growing up but I still refuse to take any high school boys angry no-girls-allowed politics seriously. If it wasn't that it'd be some other not-very-well-thought-out idiotic form of expressing the inner turmoil caused by not getting to gently caress.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That said, youtube is very bad and dumb and recommendations and the addiction psychology behind them should not be a thing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
twitter is not real life

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Every gen has it's own dumb world to contend with while growing up but I still refuse to take any high school boys angry no-girls-allowed politics seriously. If it wasn't that it'd be some other not-very-well-thought-out idiotic form of expressing the inner turmoil caused by not getting to gently caress.

Yeah but they shoot up churches and walmarts now so you do kind of have to pay attention

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
twitter is real life what.

unless you think it’s like bots are something

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"twitter is not real life" I yell as the entire stock market rises and falls on a trump tweet and some guy decides to blow up a synagogue after reading nothing but ben shapiro tweets for a year straight

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
media propaganda doesn't work that way on kids. like the 12-year-old conservative kid the vast majority will realize it's dumb once they go to college or interact with ppl in the real world. the ones trapped in that bubble are sad sack incel sociopaths probe to murder, sure, but by definition, only a small portion of a population is incel

propaganda works most robustly on ppl who want to believe it, it's something you need to choose to believe contrary to the evidence in front of your face.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Generations do not exist

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah but they shoot up churches and walmarts now so you do kind of have to pay attention

We should absolutely take seriously the way young men are being radicalized by this dumb poo poo, but I mean in the long term. I don't believe we're gonna see any appreciable jump in the market share of lifelong die-hard Republicans in the population because of them. They're just doing this instead of reading Ayn Rand in the lunchroom now.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

cargo cult posted:

go check out alt right twitter for like two minutes, its full of (largely white and male, but not exclusively) zoomers. even if theres serious astroturfing going on, the engagement is there in huge numbers

Yeah and all they have is online spaces. They don't actually hang out anywhere else unless you mean the 12 guys at atomwaffen summer camp, so of course you can see big numbers. How much bigger is the number of people who hate nazis?

And also yeah, there's a lot of bots, you can buy views/retweets and such things very easily.

Mr Interweb posted:

they're not watching fox news (yet), they're watching crowder, shapiro, and jordan peterson wreck college feminists on youtube

There are an incredible amount of boomers in there.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
No president has ever needed twitter to do all the dumb poo poo Trump does. Every single one of them was just as capable of body blowing the markets by saying something into a microphone instead of having an intern punch it into a phone. They just didn't because they weren't sundowning fox news grandpas who didn't know how anything in govt works.

Most people aren't on twitter, like 1/3rd of the accounts on twitter actually use it everyday, an even smaller portion of those are die-hard politicos, an even smaller portion of that are high school right wingers. Some extremely tiny portion of the entire site makes the vast majority of tweets.

Twitter is a social media site, it's very stupid and makes people think real life is like twitter but it's not.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

"twitter is not real life" I yell as the entire stock market rises and falls on a trump tweet and some guy decides to blow up a synagogue after reading nothing but ben shapiro tweets for a year straight

the stock market also isn't real life

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/RobertTGarrett/status/1161658048311676929

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
twitter is just like any social gathering place. Just with a wider audience than most people can access, this whole convo is a weird and pointless rationalization

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That said, youtube is very bad and dumb and recommendations and the addiction psychology behind them should not be a thing.

youtube owns hard sorry, fail comps/old commercials/horror movie trailers/documentaries inject it into my veins

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mr Interweb posted:

A lot fewer of them than you think. Mocking incels and the alt-right seems to be far more prevalent.

(at least around me)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
this convo is so boomer brained lol i guess generation theory really is fake

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

CharlestheHammer posted:

twitter is just like any social gathering place. Just with a wider audience than most people can access, this whole convo is a weird and pointless rationalization

It's more skewed than your average social gathering place. Every single Ben Shapiro teen weirdo is going to be on twitter because he primarily exists online and caters to people who exist online and they post incessantly wherever they can.

They are vastly outnumbered by kids who don't think Captain Marvel is destroying America and don't but that doesn't carry any real requirement or encouragement to be posting online all day about it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
~watches a PragerU video~

Oh no no...oh god....~arm involuntary starts heiling~ no no what's happening to meeeeeeee~tiny mustache grows~nooooooooooo

For every dork who watches 400 of those "BEN SHAPIRO EPICALLY OWNS SJW LIBTARDS" videos is 10,000 who just watch loving Markiplier/FailArmy/Binging with Barbish, etc.

Even loving Pewdiepie's fanbase is generally just people who meme about stupid bullshit and not virulently racists.

This gimmick of acting like Youtube is this nightmarish hellscape of Nazis is boomer as all hell.

OldTennisCourt has issued a correction as of 00:37 on Aug 15, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

there is no way you know that, you can’t generalize a generation for that for good or ill

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mr Interweb posted:

Crowder's base is all olds, same with Shapiro. Peterson's cult will die when he does, killed by a poo poo diet. The kids aren't altright.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It's just C-Spam's normal 'everything is awful forever, the future is bad and awful and will be worse than now, we're all gonna die oh god'

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

media propaganda doesn't work that way on kids. like the 12-year-old conservative kid the vast majority will realize it's dumb once they go to college or interact with ppl in the real world. the ones trapped in that bubble are sad sack incel sociopaths probe to murder, sure, but by definition, only a small portion of a population is incel

propaganda works most robustly on ppl who want to believe it, it's something you need to choose to believe contrary to the evidence in front of your face.

there are roughly equal amounts of republicans and democrats currently. if the vietnam war didn't help destroy republicanism, a few lower division humanities classes sure as hell won't either

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's a lot less anecdotal than saying "I'm seeing a lot of online high school kids posting about online guy Ben Shapiro!". It's just numbers. There's not enough people actually using twitter, period, to say it's representative of anything in the US. If it was then every single trending hashtag list for the day would be the nightly news. To think you're getting an even better view when you drill that all the way down to a subsection like high school kids is dumb as hell.

Intel&Sebastian has issued a correction as of 00:48 on Aug 15, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean it’s better than your nothing let’s be fair

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's just C-Spam's normal 'everything is awful forever, the future is bad and awful and will be worse than now, we're all gonna die oh god'

i'm not necessarily arguing that we're destined for the apocalypse, but just trying to point out we'll be cycling through the same poo poo for decades unless something crazy happens

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Algund Eenboom posted:

Generations do not exist

this is a hot take
what do you call your age and experience cohort instead of your generation?

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Al! posted:

this convo is so boomer brained lol i guess generation theory really is fake
as opposed to your galaxy brain contrarian take that right wing propaganda isn't just ineffectual despite being pervasive across social media, it actually doesn't exist at all and besides no one is influenced by social media anyway

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

CharlestheHammer posted:

Twitter as whole is pretty good at figuring out what people who are online too much care about. Anything else? Not really. I wasn't aware this was any sort of controversial view. My nothing is literally any other type of polling with a semblance of science applied. Such as:

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2019/01/17/generation-z-looks-a-lot-like-millennials-on-key-social-and-political-issues/

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

They left out the part where abbot winked and then told them to keep on keeping on terrorizing minority communities

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

~watches a PragerU video~

Oh no no...oh god....~arm involuntary starts heiling~ no no what's happening to meeeeeeee~tiny mustache grows~nooooooooooo

For every dork who watches 400 of those "BEN SHAPIRO EPICALLY OWNS SJW LIBTARDS" videos is 10,000 who just watch loving Markiplier/FailArmy/Binging with Barbish, etc.

Even loving Pewdiepie's fanbase is generally just people who meme about stupid bullshit and not virulently racists.

This gimmick of acting like Youtube is this nightmarish hellscape of Nazis is boomer as all hell.

I can attest to meeting more than a few woke Gen Z girls who were also pewdiepie watchers, like playing his mobile game and that poo poo. The thing with his racist signalling is that its low-key to the point that nobody fuckin cares enough to see it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah wild theories are always better in absence of rational though

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

idiots and young people think because he speaks quickly and recites statistics devoid of context he's smart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfGciFH7BuI

if you're not very well read you go oh man look at all this evidence. but if you're not a moron you know that the political toddler has just rattled off the effects of deprivation as if they're the causes.

I love the way everybody laughs at him and he just speeds up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Twitter as whole is pretty good at figuring out what people who are online too much care about. Anything else? Not really. I wasn't aware this was any sort of controversial view. My nothing is literally any other type of polling with a semblance of science applied. Such as:

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2019/01/17/generation-z-looks-a-lot-like-millennials-on-key-social-and-political-issues/

lol even the study hedges it’s bets

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Alt-right nerdos are inherently more represented online because that's where it comes from. You might as well be shocked that there's a lot more electronics nerds than football fans talking to eachother over HAM radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

CharlestheHammer posted:

lol even the study hedges it’s bets

It's a lot better than your nothing