Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

So I don't want to be That Person, but I kinda fell off the emo+friends wagon back in 2011 when Snowing broke up. (At least I got to see them once :unsmith:) What's dropped since then that's a necessary listen? I know I need to catch up on some Defeater for sure, and there's new The World is a Beautiful Place I think?? Help me out here!

Also funny enough I just remembered how long it's been because my girlfriend was playing some MCR, and of course I'm one of those snobby nerds who lectures people on how MCR isn't real emo, but I finally heard their first album for the first time and was like "woah this is actually post-hardcore :aaa:" I was very surprised! It made me wonder what else I've been missing out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
About to see Andrew Jackson Jihad at the Old Bar in Melbourne and I'm super pumped. That's all. Bye guys.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Philip Rivers posted:

So I don't want to be That Person, but I kinda fell off the emo+friends wagon back in 2011 when Snowing broke up. (At least I got to see them once :unsmith:) What's dropped since then that's a necessary listen? I know I need to catch up on some Defeater for sure, and there's new The World is a Beautiful Place I think?? Help me out here!

Also funny enough I just remembered how long it's been because my girlfriend was playing some MCR, and of course I'm one of those snobby nerds who lectures people on how MCR isn't real emo, but I finally heard their first album for the first time and was like "woah this is actually post-hardcore :aaa:" I was very surprised! It made me wonder what else I've been missing out on.

The new TWIABP is amazing (as is their first full-length, which came out in 2013 if you really haven't paid attention). Foxing's "The Albatross" is probably my next favorite emo album of the past few years. Will probably edit this post with more

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I like the get up kids something to write home about

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Palm Reader released a pretty solid album earlier this year.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Philip Rivers posted:

The new TWIABP&IANLATD is loving amazing. The new track that dropped today is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-wjAYRKW2c

Also I recommend the other single off the new album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVg0lBtzgQQ

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

rear end Catchcum posted:

I like the get up kids something to write home about

this would be a top tier troll on a more active forum

RobotNinjaHornets
Dec 30, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

Home, Like Noplace Is There by The Hotelier is probably my favourite album from last year. Joy, Departed by Sorority Noise from this year is pretty fantastic too.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

We were sitting in front of the house my friend was living at and started jamming and loving around and ended up making this dumb thing here it is bye

https://soundcloud.com/coffee-mug-collective/war-is-cool-if-youre-lonely

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
all out war is playing tomorrow and i'm pretty pumped for that

+other bands but hey all out war

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Went to Riot Fest this past weekend in part because I was covering it for a site I write for but mostly because I wanted to. We could debate the punk authenticity of a giant festival that causes massive property damage to poor neighborhoods and features multiple VIP lounges but I'd rather talk about the bands that are at least somewhat relevant to this thread, of which there were many. Here's the punk/hardcore/emo/post-hardcore I saw:

Day 1:
Into It. Over It. - Really solid stuff to kick off the weekend, although I noticed it's kind of weird how the live band doesn't even try to translate his many layered vocals to the stage.
Death - Only caught the tail end but hey, that meant seeing them play Politicians in My Eyes, which was cool.
Against Me! - I actually kind of enjoy the sellout version of Against Me!, particularly Transgender Dysphoria Blues, which they played a ton of songs from. Honestly one of the best sets of the whole weekend.
Thrice - Awesome as expected. Some dude kept looking at me and creepily smiling, then asked if I wanted to crowdsurf. No thank you.

Day 2:
The Damned - I only saw the beginning of this set because I had to go do an interview but it didn't feel like washed up nostalgia-pandering at all. Would have liked to see more. They also started late because Millencolin went over time.
Babes in Toyland - loving awesome. Kat Bjelland is the best riot grrrl vocalist.
Desaparecidos - Just a really solid performance. I have never been a fan of Oberst otherwise but I really dig this band.
The Lawrence Arms - When I was writing my review I honestly forgot that I saw them at all.
Drive Like Jehu - Also amazing. I'm extremely pleased with this reunion.
Modern Life is War - Witness is probably my favorite modern hardcore album, and they played it all the way through over on a side stage. They made the open field feel like a dive bar. One of my favorite performances of the whole weekend.
Rancid - Overlapped with MLIW so I missed all of the best songs from ...And Out Come the Wolves. What I did see was fun but not particularly great.
Iggy Pop - A legend, obviously, and in incredible shape for a 68-year-old. My only complaint was the relative lack of Stooges songs. He knocked out No Fun and Now I Wanna Be Your Dog at the beginning and played 1969 later, but I really wanted Search and Destroy.

Day 3:
Less Than Jake - Generic ska show
Foxing - Great stuff from one of my favorite emo bands but nothing different than what I saw three months ago opening for mewithoutYou.
Beach Slang - I'd rather just listen to the Replacements

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Against Me! - I actually kind of enjoy the sellout version of Against Me!, particularly Transgender Dysphoria Blues, which they played a ton of songs from. Honestly one of the best sets of the whole weekend.
Drive Like Jehu - Also amazing. I'm extremely pleased with this reunion.
Modern Life is War - Witness is probably my favorite modern hardcore album, and they played it all the way through over on a side stage. They made the open field feel like a dive bar. One of my favorite performances of the whole weekend.

Probably the three sets I'm most jealous of you getting to see. Modern Life is War and Drive Like Jehu obviously rule, and Transgender Dysphoria Blues will always have a place in my heart. LJG is a badass.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i saw all out war it was good. other bands who played music include:

code orange: not really my thing. i was just sort of aurally uncomfortable the whole time and when it was over i couldn't remember what happened, but apparently people were super into it.
trapped under ice: took a long time to start their set, felt like it went by pretty fast. spent the whole time catching fat dudes stage diving in between picking idiots up off the ground.
incendiary: was extremely my poo poo. feels like they played most of cost of living. got punched a lot during this.
lifeless: was also extremely my poo poo. got punched during this a lot too.

there were some other bands that i was apathetic about but they all played super early in the day so the only one who stand out was give, which made me consider leaving the show and not returning.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Went to Riot Fest...

...didn't see Pears

Really?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's weird to hear y'all talking about Pears because I've known most of those guys since I was in my mid-teens. It's weird but very, very cool. I'm glad they're seeing some success :) They deserve it!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I have never even heard of Pears.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
real talk: would you consider weezer's first album "punk rock."

and realler realler talk: Their eighth (Epitaph rec release)?

Ass Catchcum fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 17, 2015

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

real talk: would you consider weezer's first album "punk rock."

and realler realler talk: Their eighth (Epitaph rec release)?

I always thought it was surf rock because there's a song about surfing.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
weezer is punk

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

I have never even heard of Pears.

Fix that. Immediately.

And see them live because that's even better. Zach embodies the term "bring it"

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Hi guyz - can someone that knows hardcore records take a look at this list and tell me if there's any band here people are still interested in? I have a box of records from high school / college (so like '99 to the mid-00's) and I'm sick of having to find a place to keep them, while I don't even have a record player or listen to much music like this anymore. Here's a sample of some of the stuff:

Bane - Give Blood (Clear Vinyl w/ Brown Swirl)

Reversal of Man - This is Medicine (Black)

Twelve Hour Turn - The Victory of Flight (Translucent Blue Vinyl)

As I Bleed - Fire in Summer (Black)

Drowingman - Still Loves You (Clear Vinyl)

The Swarm a/k/a Knee Deep in the Dead - Parasitic Skies (Grey / White / Black Mix Vinyl)

Shellac - 1000 Hurts (Black, Small Tear in Packaging)

COMBATWOUNDEDVETERAN - I Know a Girl Who Develops Crime Scene Photos (Pink Vinyl, Comes with awesome insert)

Pageninetynine - Document # 8 (Canary Vinyl / Has insert)

Fragment - Angels Never Came (Black)

Orchid - Chaos is Me (Black)

Strike Anywhere - Change is a Sound (White Vinyl)

The Locust - Self-titled (poo poo Brown / Puke Green Swirl)

Six Going on Seven - American’t or Won’t (Transluscent Orange Vinyl)

Orchid - Dance Tonight! Revolution Tomorrow!

There's more but I'm not going to type it all out if there's no gems in that first list. I don't think a lot of this stuff ever got too popular outside of early-00s New England so if they're duds I'll prob take $20 down the record shop for the box. If any goons are interested in buying some I'll make a SA Mart thread. Thanks guys!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
STILL interested in? Hmmm...

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Hell, I'll take em off your hand for $21.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
the orchid/cwv/pg99 stuff will sell on ebay pretty well

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
dont sell them to cf he uses records to make drippy shiny vaguely sexual artworks

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

stay depressed posted:

dont sell them to cf he uses records to make drippy shiny vaguely sexual artworks

new Yaujita tape looking pretty good.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Love them Yahootie boys.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
*throwing voice* You guys talkin' about the new Yatooja record? It smokes and the art is incredible!

RobotNinjaHornets
Dec 30, 2012
Just heard the new TWIABP song and holy poo poo it is so good

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
went and saw Radkey on Monday for 10 bucks at a local used-to-be-a-dive bar called the Cobalt. Crowd was tiny, so there wasn't much of a good dancing vibe but those guys rocked it even though they all had food poisoning from some lovely pizza place I think

also they are really small!

also they didn't bring any merch except for their albums which is a bummer

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Philip Rivers posted:

I dipped out of MCR by the time the third album came out, but that first album holds a special place in my heart and I think it holds up. Maybe because Geoff Rickly produced it and I'm a huge fan of his, and because it came out in like 02 when I was just getting into emo/post hardcore.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I dipped out of MCR by the time the third album came out, but that first album holds a special place in my heart and I think it holds up. Maybe because Geoff Rickly produced it and I'm a huge fan of his, and because it came out in like 02 when I was just getting into emo/post hardcore.

I was pretty impressed by it. Turnstiles and Skylines especially stood out to me, I love the chord progression in the chorus. It's a fun album!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

cf posted:

Love them Yahootie boys.

they are playing my area soon, stoked.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

JawKnee posted:

went and saw Radkey on Monday for 10 bucks at a local used-to-be-a-dive bar called the Cobalt. Crowd was tiny, so there wasn't much of a good dancing vibe but those guys rocked it even though they all had food poisoning from some lovely pizza place I think

also they are really small!

also they didn't bring any merch except for their albums which is a bummer

I'm probably gonna drive 3 hours to see them at the philly show. I love their EPs and their album, can't wait

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Harmlessness is up on Bandcamp.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Going to see ACxDC play in the small upstate NY town I live in tonight. Woo!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
This is the punk thread not the found my dads records and now I'm into music thread

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
might be both in tyool 2015

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

This is the punk thread not the found my dads records and now I'm into music thread

you really need to shut the gently caress up forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
please stop responding to low-effort trolls