Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Utter Amnesty posted:

I'm looking for a really fun above average action and/or adventure novel. I mowed through a few Jack Reacher books and enjoyed them okay but my thought afterwords was "I'd like to read something like this but better." It's cool to see Reacher be smarter than everyone else but the books are pretty lackluster otherwise. I know that's super vague but I'm casting a wide net on purpose.

I had pretty much the same thoughts on the Reacher series. The part at the end of the books where he was all "I had this figured out 200 pages ago, but I'm going to reveal it to you now in 3 pages" got a bit old. I'd put like 1 out of every 4 of the series in the "good" column.

Try the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn if you want some more action. Start with the prequel (American Assassin). It hooked me right away.

http://www.vinceflynn.com/vinceflynnchronologicalorderbooklist.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

If you want to check out Reacher's literary forebears, John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee books still hold up pretty well.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What's a good book about cryptids? I don't mind it being skeptical so long as a fair amount of time is spent on what is claimed about the cryptid and what the people who believe in it believe.

Actually it's probably better if it's skeptical, because I don't think most bigfoot hunters are probably very good writers.

When I was into this stuff, I especially liked Cryptozoology: Science & Speculation by Chad Arment, Sasquatch: True-Life Encounters With Legendary Ape-Men by Rupert Matthews, and the Encyclopedia Of Cryptozoology by Michael Newton.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Utter Amnesty posted:

I'm looking for a really fun above average action and/or adventure novel. I mowed through a few Jack Reacher books and enjoyed them okay but my thought afterwords was "I'd like to read something like this but better." It's cool to see Reacher be smarter than everyone else but the books are pretty lackluster otherwise. I know that's super vague but I'm casting a wide net on purpose.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John LeCarre?

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.

LionYeti posted:

One of my favorites. Polishing off everything I haven't read by LeCarre isn't a bad idea though...

darthbob88 posted:

Clive Cussler do it for you? I liked them until I noticed how formulaic everything was. Haven't yet read it, but possibly Kavalier and Clay?

Any advice on specific entry points for Cussler? I've tried to pick up him up from time to time but couldn't get into him but it feels like the kind of books I would read. Kavalier and Clay deeply resonated with me, though, when it came out and I revisit it every few years. So I like the cut of your recommendation's jib.

Thanks for the book suggestions everyone. Reserving them at the library now so once I'm done with Seveneves and Reamde, I can go on a tear.

too much dead rat fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 26, 2016

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Utter Amnesty posted:

Not sure it's what you're looking for but I enjoyed the Nick Velvet stories by Edward D Hoch. They're a series of short stories about a thief named Nick Velvet, who exclusively steals monetarily worthless items for clients who pay him a flat fee. They're a bit more Ocean's Eleven than Jack Reacher but they're fun little adventure heist stories.

Hasseltkoffie
Nov 22, 2006
I hope one of you can help me find a book for a friends son.

He'll be 10 soon, but has trouble reading so his reading "level" is not that good. He finds this very frustrating, because he does like to read, but the books that would be engaging enough for him are too hard for him to read, so he either loses interest because the story is too childish, or gives up because the reading difficulty. He enjoys reading the Geronimo Stilton books, so if anything I can find one of those. He also likes to read Naruto, Kenshin and One Piece manga(sp?).
He does read both in English and Dutch. Thanks!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Utter Amnesty posted:

One of my favorites. Polishing off everything I haven't read by LeCarre isn't a bad idea though...
Be warned, he went crazy after 9/11.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Did he really?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

Did he really?
Have you read Most Wanted Man or Absolute Friends? I should probably specify that he sees all the evil in Corporate Interests In American Goverment as opposed to drat Terrorists but it's really laying it on a bit thick.
edit: I don't know, maybe his Cold War stuff felt as relevant when it was happening but his late books really read like politics first and stories second.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 25, 2016

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.

dordreff posted:

Not sure it's what you're looking for but I enjoyed the Nick Velvet stories by Edward D Hoch. They're a series of short stories about a thief named Nick Velvet, who exclusively steals monetarily worthless items for clients who pay him a flat fee. They're a bit more Ocean's Eleven than Jack Reacher but they're fun little adventure heist stories.

I'm open to anything good (and even airport garbage with redeemable elements)! Reacher is just a jumping off point. I've just read so much dense sci-fi/fantasy and have so many suggestions in that realm that I want to let loose on earth a little .

Hasseltkoffie posted:

It's been some time since I've read them but, at that age, my favorite books were The Chronicles of Prydain series. They're well-written but very easy to understand high fantasy books about an assistant Pig Keeper and his friends going on adventures together and growing up as the books go on. The series has more adult feel to it without having anything objectionable. It can be a little dark for a children's book, scary bad guy with a skull helmet, a horrible zombie magic army, and some difficult choices considering its reading level but with strong lessons and a solid positive message attached (it's really fine, the author is just good at making the peril vivid). The books are almost 50 years old now, so I don't know how much that matters to a kid today, but I'm sure you can a lot more suggestions for newer stuff. The first one is the Book of Three.

anilEhilated posted:

Be warned, he went crazy after 9/11.

Didn't we all. :toot:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I haven't but he's always been anti-American and anti-corporation. In a lot of the Smiley novels the yanks provide a timer for Smiley because he needs to sort things out before they get involved with their sledgehammers and all (I think I'm thinking of An Honourable Schoolboy in particular), and The Constant Gardener was written... huh, it was published November 2001 but I'm guessing it wasn't all written in two months. I'm not going to say that he's writing as good a thriller as he ever did but I don't think his politics have changed dramatically.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

LionYeti posted:

It's funny how people can take different things from the same books. I cannot imagine a more different character from Lee Child's Hobo Sherlock Superman than John le Carré's Smiley.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Hasseltkoffie posted:

He'll be 10 soon, but has trouble reading so his reading "level" is not that good. He finds this very frustrating, because he does like to read, but the books that would be engaging enough for him are too hard for him to read, so he either loses interest because the story is too childish, or gives up because the reading difficulty. He enjoys reading the Geronimo Stilton books, so if anything I can find one of those. He also likes to read Naruto, Kenshin and One Piece manga(sp?).

Graphic novels are good- I gave my eight year-old nephew a bunch of Doug TenNapel stuff for Christmas and he loves them. Kazu Kibuishi's Amulet series is also tight.

dokmo posted:

It's funny how people can take different things from the same books. I cannot imagine a more different character from Lee Child's Hobo Sherlock Superman than John le Carré's Smiley.

Yeah, I was scratching my head over that one, too...

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hasseltkoffie posted:

Off the top of my head: the Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan, Brian Jacques's Redwall books, or Jeff Smith's Bone comics might all be good.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
My son had some reading issues early on as well. I'd second the graphic novel route. He really enjoyed the Tintin series.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
If you're looking for graphic novels for kids, I'd recommend:
Giants Beware! and the sequel, Dragons Beware! by Jorge Aguirre and Raphael Rosado. A series about a girl named Claudette attempting to follow in the footsteps of her father, a famous warrior. Fun, cute little adventures.

Zita the Spacegirl series by Ben Hatke. Sci-fi adventures of a girl named Zita who gets sucked through a portal to an alien planet, and has to make her way home. Again, fun and cute adventures.

Cucumber Quest, by Gigi DG. A young boy, Cucumber, is forced into his family tradition of being legendary heroes as he reluctantly combats a ressurected ancient evil, the Nightmare Knight, with the help of his over-enthusiastic sister Almond and the cowardly knight Carrot. Currently being published as a webcomic, but there are three collected graphic novel versions you can get as well. A truly excellent comic which I can't recommend enough.

I'd also second Bone by Jeff Smith. A big fantasy adventure epic about a trio of cartoon-character looking guys who find themselves exiled from their home town for hijinks, and get lost in a mysterious valley with some serious poo poo going on. One of the best graphic novel series ever made, though I'd definitely suggest checking it out yourself to work out if it's good for your friend's kid's reading level; it gets a bit involved and convoluted in later parts, and is seriously huge (the collected edition comes out to around 1300 pages) which might well put off a kid who struggles with reading.

Also by Jeff Smith, try Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil. Young street kid Billy Batson's life is changed forever when he meets the wizard Shazam and gains the power to turn into the superhero Captain Marvel, blessed with the powers of the Greek gods (and Solomon for some reason). A fantasic re-telling of the Captain Marvel origin, and an excellent standalone story even if you don't care about superheroes.

And for a more traditional novel, maybe try Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain by Richard Roberts. Penny Akk is the daughter of two former superheroes who is determined to become a superhero in her own right, but a series of misunderstandings and poor decisions lead her to a life of crime instead. It's possibly a bit too reliant on its audience recognising superhero tropes, but it's a fun little book even if you don't know much about superheroes. There's also a sequel, Please Don't Tell My Parents I Blew Up the Moon, which is not as good (a good two-thirds feels like the author was writing an unrelated steampunk-in-space story and just threw the original characters into that) but is still readable if he enjoys the first one.

Hope some of that helps.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

dordreff posted:

Zita the Spacegirl series by Ben Hatke. Sci-fi adventures of a girl named Zita who gets sucked through a portal to an alien planet, and has to make her way home. Again, fun and cute adventures.

I like these, too. Also fully intended on including Bone, which works for readers of all levels, and think Tintin is another great recommendation. Redwall is good, as well, because what little boy doesn't want to read about anthropomorphic ferrets with swords and poo poo?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I grew up reading A Series of Unfortunate Events at that age. It doesn't talk down to kids, it's full of literary references and jokes, and it playfully teaches vocabulary. It's my go-to recommendation for kids that age.

When I taught kids, they were obsessed with the Riordan books, and Bone is a classic for everyone.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Utter Amnesty posted:

Any advice on specific entry points for Cussler? I've tried to pick up him up from time to time but couldn't get into him but it feels like the kind of books I would read. Kavalier and Clay deeply resonated with me, though, when it came out and I revisit it every few years. So I like the cut of your recommendation's gib.
Honestly, not really. I got into Cussler while I was in high school, when a two-fisted action hero with a big gun and cool cars had some appeal, and I just checked out whichever books I could find when I was in the local library. You can probably do worse than chronological order, though IIRC they were pretty episodic and self-contained, with any necessary references getting explained as they come up. (Also, the expression is cut of one's jib)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

he sees all the evil in Corporate Interests In American Goverment as opposed to drat Terrorists

He's right

Utter Amnesty posted:

Any advice on specific entry points for Cussler? I've tried to pick up him up from time to time but couldn't get into him but it feels like the kind of books I would read.

He's an airport function thriller writer, the whole drat point is that you can just read any book and it'll be the same

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

Eh, I guess it's just not for me then. Thanks, though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
This is probably going to be the stupidest question ever asked, but is there a book about the Illuminati that isn't complete conspiracy theory lunacy? Like something with at least some historical grounding. If you look on amazon everything is self-published crap or trying to ride the Dan Brown coattails.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goons I come to you for another suggestion :3

I was in abookstore today and saw The Explorers Guild (http://www.amazon.com/Explorers-Guild-One-Passage-Shambhala/dp/1476727392/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456779614&sr=8-1&keywords=explorers+guild)

I looked on Amazon and it doesn't have much in the way of good reviews but i'm dieing ot read a book about exploration and such in this similiar vein. I feel like i'm misisng some obvious reccomendation and hoping you guys can point one out.

Or, maybe you guys think Explorers Guild is good and I should read that :shrug:

Thanks for help.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

This is probably going to be the stupidest question ever asked, but is there a book about the Illuminati that isn't complete conspiracy theory lunacy? Like something with at least some historical grounding. If you look on amazon everything is self-published crap or trying to ride the Dan Brown coattails.
It's not exactly about the Illuminati but have you read Foucault's Pendulum?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

anilEhilated posted:

It's not exactly about the Illuminati but have you read Foucault's Pendulum?

I have. I was thinking not a novel. I won't exactly say non fiction but you know what I mean.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
e: Too fast for me! Oh well.

Umberto Eco posted:

The author, Dan Brown, is a character from Foucault’s Pendulum! I invented him. He shares my characters’ fascinations—the world conspiracy of Rosicrucians, Masons, and Jesuits. The role of the Knights Templar. The hermetic secret. The principle that everything is connected. I suspect Dan Brown might not even exist.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Is there any decent non-fiction book on Nazis in South America, ratlines, Mossad hunting them etc?

I did some poking around and I see there's books by Simon Weisenthal, people bitching about Simon Weisenthal and some massive dry specific accounts of things like Peron government involvement.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Tochiazuma posted:

I really like Jonathan Rabb's work in Rosa and Shadows and Light, they remind me a lot of Martin Cruz Smith's style.

Just want to say that this is EXACTLY the sort of thing I was after. I'm about half way through Rosa now and am really enjoying it. Definitely similar to Martin Cruz Smith's stuff.

Great recommendation!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BigFactory posted:

There's this book I was checking out at the bookshop a while back which talks about how the idea of the Illuminati/freemason type secret societies affected culture and politics in the 18th(maybe a bit of the 19th as well?) century: http://www.amazon.com/Mythology-Secret-Societies-J-Roberts/dp/0684129043

Pocket Billiards posted:

Is there any decent non-fiction book on Nazis in South America, ratlines, Mossad hunting them etc?

I did some poking around and I see there's books by Simon Weisenthal, people bitching about Simon Weisenthal and some massive dry specific accounts of things like Peron government involvement.

there's quite a few old probably out of print ones about the Odessa organisation, Bormann surviving past his supposed date of death, etc, and there's probably some good info in there, although you should also probably take some of what they say with a grain of salt. e.g http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Bormann-Exile-Paul-Manning/dp/1495488144 or https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1357116.Aftermath

The "massive dry specific accounts" are probably good, you'd expect books like that to be very good sources of info even if they're not every exciting to read.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
[quote="A human heart" post="456888372"]
There's this book I was checking out at the bookshop a while back which talks about how the idea of the Illuminati/freemason type secret societies affected culture and politics in the 18th(maybe a bit of the 19th as well?) century: http://www.amazon.com/Mythology-Secret-Societies-J-Roberts/dp/0684129043

I'll take a peek, thanks.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Has anyone read the book Penpal by Dathan Auerbach? I've read the free sample on kindle and it seems good. I'm worried the glowing reviews are because of some weird Reddit following, though.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Blind Rasputin posted:

Has anyone read the book Penpal by Dathan Auerbach? I've read the free sample on kindle and it seems good. I'm worried the glowing reviews are because of some weird Reddit following, though.

I can't really say anything good about this book. It was pretty stupid. The author has no idea whatsoever how to write children. The kindergarteners in this book act like high schoolers--what 6-year-old has 'seen enough movies' to know how roman candles work? Also, I can't tell you how many times the author described conversations between characters rather than just writing the dialogue.

It kind of reminds me about when Goons try to write 'Creepypasta' stuff, and you get those people in the thread who are scared of everything and think it's the most terrifying, incredibly written story of all time.

At least it was short...

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking to read Finnegans Wake, preferably on Kindle. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLL2OK8 ? The other Kindle edition I saw (Penguin) had terrible reviews because it supposedly used the 1st edition of the text which was ripe with typos and such. What's the best way to read this novel?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm looking to read Finnegans Wake, preferably on Kindle. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLL2OK8 ? The other Kindle edition I saw (Penguin) had terrible reviews because it supposedly used the 1st edition of the text which was ripe with typos and such. What's the best way to read this novel?

With a Cliff's Notes in one hand and a bottle of laudanum in the other.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I enjoyed Yiddish Policemen's Union, any other alternate history/alternate world stories like that one that are well written?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Ishamael posted:

I enjoyed Yiddish Policemen's Union, any other alternate history/alternate world stories like that one that are well written?

Fatherland by Robert Harris is well written alternate history, and its a detective story. Been ages since I read it so I don't remember much, but I remember liking it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ishamael posted:

The Man In The High Castle? Beware the idiotic ending, though.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ishamael posted:

SS-GB by Len Deighton, for some nazi occupied Britain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

Don't read Finnegans Wake?