Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

While watching the new Gumball episodes, I noticed that I missed one from last year that was about not-Tindr

oh my god, oh my god this show.

Wait what? What episode was that?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Oh my god. haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Speaking of gumball, can anyone identify the song in this (amazing) clip?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H49ISmbubwY

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like we should probably have a Gumball thread by now.

We really, really should.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I forgot Netflix was doing a Magic Schoolbus Reboot and now they announced that Kate McKinnon is going to be Ms. Frizzle which pretty perfect
http://www.avclub.com/article/netfl...SocialMarketing

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

We really, really should.
Gumball chat is over 50% of this thread, posts would drop like a stone

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like we should probably have a Gumball thread by now.

There was one, once upon a time. It didn't really get too many posts and vanished over time. I don't think another one would really make sense right now, seeing as how the show's supposed to be on its last season.

There's an irony to the idea of using discussion as a measure of quality, because something aggressively weird like Adventure Time or something with a long-running plot and developed interpersonal relationships like Steven Universe, or something with background lore like both of the above will generate lots of talk and obsession in a way that Gumball just won't.

Gumball is an amazing show, but I can't really think of much to say about it other than it's great, watch it. It's a shame, because I've been trying to think of a reason to link this song for a while now.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's a shame, because I've been trying to think of a reason to link this song for a while now.

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

A general rule of the forums is that the more posts a thread has, the worse it is.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

I forgot Netflix was doing a Magic Schoolbus Reboot and now they announced that Kate McKinnon is going to be Ms. Frizzle which pretty perfect
http://www.avclub.com/article/netfl...SocialMarketing

I dunno on this one. On the one hand Netflix means they can go hog wild in terms of near the knuckle stuff but on the other they really can't top Arnold pulling his helmet off on Pluto.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Kate McKinnon is basically the perfect choice I would never have thought of though. I actually can't think of anyone that would be a better choice for Ms Frizzle

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Macaluso posted:

Kate McKinnon is basically the perfect choice I would never have thought of though. I actually can't think of anyone that would be a better choice for Ms Frizzle

Lily Tomlin :bahgawd:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

After listening to the thread gush about Gumball so much for so long ,I'm finally gonna start binging it. What would be a good season/episode to start on?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Either start from the beginning (even at its worst it's merely ok-ish with neat visuals) or with season 2

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

VolticSurge posted:

After listening to the thread gush about Gumball so much for so long ,I'm finally gonna start binging it. What would be a good season/episode to start on?

Start with season 2 and then keep going until you're completely charmed and go back to season 1 so you can see the occasional good bits.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

VolticSurge posted:

Season 2 is probably a good place to start. The art and animation are better, plus I think season 2 is where they really started to push the scope of the show beyond a typical family/kids' sitcom.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Gumball started good and got better. You'll be fine starting from the beginning.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

Gumball started good and got better. You'll be fine starting from the beginning.

I just think from what I've read that many people will just tune out of Gumball's early mediocrity (I know I did) and give up before it gets good and there's really no reason to start with season 1 other than an insistence on doing it that way. Don't get me wrong, I think season 1 is worth watching but I also think you really need to be fully on board to get the most out of it.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Alright,Season 2 it is! I'll try to keep the thread posted,but I'll have to wait until I get back home where I got decent internet to really binge the older seasons properly.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Season 2 is where the transition from okay to great is, so even that season itself isn't as consistently excellent as Seasons 3-5. But it also has plenty of fantastic episodes and is a great place to start. I agree that season 1 is worth watching, but not a good first introduction.

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 10, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Which season is the episode where the dad gets a pizza delivery job? Cause that poo poo is just :pachameme:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Macaluso posted:

Which season is the episode where the dad gets a pizza delivery job? Cause that poo poo is just :pachameme:

Season 2!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't know how many people in this thread are watching Star Vs., but having binged it with my girlfriend I can confirm it is a Good Show, and I'm happy they're finally airing new episodes.

Season 1 is mostly a Monster of the Week type thing, but since then they've actually had some interesting longrunning storylines going on. Tonight's episode is kind of an insane shift for Marco's character and I wonder if they'll stick with it.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Benne posted:

Tonight's episode is kind of an insane shift for Marco's character and I wonder if they'll stick with it.

In all honesty I'd be pretty surprised if we got anything more than a sentence or two in reference to it. Such a drastic change in one's life would need at least an entire episode about it to do it justice, and there's no way they'll do that.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The first week's batch of new Star Vs episodes has concluded and aside from one, it was all good episodes. The story continues to challenge the equation between monsters and "evil".

Just finished Season 7 of Regular Show and I'm glad I only watched about eight episodes per season over the last few seasons. I like that show- it's very "me"- but it gets old quick and I'm eager to get to S8 where apparently the format changes a lot.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

In all honesty I'd be pretty surprised if we got anything more than a sentence or two in reference to it. Such a drastic change in one's life would need at least an entire episode about it to do it justice, and there's no way they'll do that.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figure. This new batch of episodes seems to alternate between "important longterm implications" and " fun but forgettable filler" so it wouldn't surprise me if that pattern repeats.

The Preston O'Change episode is the only real disappointment so far. Feels like they had a good idea on paper but couldn't really figure out how to follow it through.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
My gut tells me that they'll treat it like that episode of Star Trek TNG where Picard gets sucked into an alien probe and lives a lifetime in a simulation of an alien's life that he comes to believe is real. It'll get referenced once or twice but won't result in a permanent change to Marco's personality like it probably should.

Then again, Star Vs has surprised me in the past with how seriously it takes its continuity and I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'll spoil it just in case, but just so people know what we're talking about :

Basically Marco gets trapped in an alternate dimension where time moves much faster than on Earth, so although he's only gone in 8 Earth minutes, he ends up spending 16 YEARS on an epic quest, growing up into a grizzled warrior in the process.

Eventually Star gets him back to Earth and Marco gets his teenage body back, but he still has the memories from his adventure and mentally is around 30 years old now. That opens up a ton of storyline possibilities -- how can Marco adjust back to high school life after all he's been through? Will his relationships with Star and Jackie ever be the same again?

In the long run it probably won't mean much, and maybe they'll play it off as a gag. Then again, the show has a thing for slow-burn stories that sneak up on you (like Ludo becoming an actual competent villain, or the Marco/Jackie romance), so we'll see what happens.

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 10, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I still feel a little weird going :spergin: about a Disney XD show, but Star Vs. charmed the gently caress out of me and I'd like to consider this thread a safe space for geeking out about it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Butch Hartman did two videos with the Drawfee guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ-Qz53HUi0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaJPQMKSpf0

It gets pretty insane.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd still recommend giving the first season of Gumball a watch. It's still pretty good even though the show hadn't fully come into its own yet. I remember when the series was first coming out, they released The Mystery and The DVD first, and I rewatched it again and again a bunch of times, all the mixed animation styles working together as a whole and dynamic action and humor really intrigued me from the start, and it just went up from there. It's amazing to look back at the early episodes with the menagerie of wildly different characters and realize that since then every one of those characters has gotten an episode about them (except maybe Carmen the cactus and Leslie the flower).

It's great to be really into a series from the start and it just gets better from there. The last time that happened for me was with the pilot for Steven Universe.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I had to pause the video and walk away on one of tonight's gumball episodes, at the line I have a cloaca but I don't know what it is and I'm too scared to look it up

loving brutal

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'd say Gumball is kinda like the cartoon version of Parks and Rec -- Season 1 has rough edges but you can see the obvious potential, and by Season 2 they ironed out the kinks and it's legitimately great. Towards the end, they have a fully fleshed-out universe of characters you never thought you'd like but got attached to anyway, and are thrilled when they pop up again.

Still prefer the later episodes, but for people getting into the show, you could do worse than just starting from the beginning.

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 10, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think that the aspects that Star Vs brings into question implies interesting questions about other aspects, for example, the Great Monster Massacre - a Genocide that was taught as a less one-handed victory than it was because it made Mewny look better in the history books to say "We fought against the monster hordes" than to admit "We just randomly murdered anyone we could find until their land was ours" The show uses this and BuffFrog/Yvgeny Bulgoyaboff to call into question the whole idea that monsters were evil, so this brings up the question - Everyone remembers Eclipsa Butterfly as the "Evil Queen" of the family, but what if she wasn't evil? Her magics were a double edged sword yes, but we haven't seen how she used them, only that she did. My thinking is that she wasn't evil, but that she sympathised with the monster's story and had her name dragged through the mud due to the stereotype of monsters being evil. Everyone is using the fact that Star is being compared to her as a "Is Star turning evil" question, but she isn't - she is becoming like Eclipsa, but it will be a good thing.

Also points that Glosarick made about how Cleaved is a funny word as things can be cleaved apart, or cleaved together are interesting with this paradigm in effect - Will Star start sympathising with the monsters herself to the extent that her relationship with Ludo and his wand cleave them together into an eventual friendship/alliance as Star starts challenging her family based on them all being violent assholes (we saw that they weren't very good people at the family picnic with that extremely violent sport that they enjoy playing where they try to get on top no matter who gets hurt, and when Marco finds another, less violent, way for the game to end they initially take umbrage at it). Also, her father is unstable to say the least and her mother is possibly a hypocrite?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Benne posted:

I'd say Gumball is kinda like the cartoon version of Parks and Rec -- Season 1 has rough edges but you can see the obvious potential, and by Season 2 they ironed out the kinks and it's legitimately great. Towards the end, they have a fully fleshed-out universe of characters you never thought you'd like but got attached to anyway, and are thrilled when they pop up again.

Still prefer the later episodes, but for people getting into the show, you could do worse than just starting from the beginning.

they also realized the raw wide range appeal of filling your show with giffable moments

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
"I can't remember my password" is a surprisingly effective phrase.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Benne posted:

I'll spoil it just in case, but just so people know what we're talking about :

Basically Marco gets trapped in an alternate dimension where time moves much faster than on Earth, so although he's only gone in 8 Earth minutes, he ends up spending 16 YEARS on an epic quest, growing up into a grizzled warrior in the process.

Eventually Star gets him back to Earth and Marco gets his teenage body back, but he still has the memories from his adventure and mentally is around 30 years old now. That opens up a ton of storyline possibilities -- how can Marco adjust back to high school life after all he's been through? Will his relationships with Star and Jackie ever be the same again?

In the long run it probably won't mean much, and maybe they'll play it off as a gag. Then again, the show has a thing for slow-burn stories that sneak up on you (like Ludo becoming an actual competent villain, or the Marco/Jackie romance), so we'll see what happens.

This reminds me a lot of an episode of My Life as a Teenage Robot where Sheldon gets kidnapped by aliens and lives an entire life as a space pirate trying to get back home. By the time he gets home he's 80 but only a day or so has passed due to spacetime shenanigans. They eventually try to fix the problem by de-aging him with a science gizmo but they send him too far back and he ends up as a baby, and to fix THAT they give him back to the space pirates and send him into space AGAIN for another 15 years so when he comes back he's his proper age and the status quo is restored.

Except it's totally not and Sheldon remembers absolutely everything from the past 95 or so years. He even calls out the main cast on how hosed up it was to give a baby to a bunch of space pirates implying that the last several years didn't go smoothly.

Unfortunately the show just sort of forgets that all happened after that point. Which is too bad because it was a really interesting direction for his character. It would have been nice to at least get an occasional nod to his development in the form of him now being useful in a fight or still kind of hating Jenny or something.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

readingatwork posted:

This reminds me a lot of an episode of My Life as a Teenage Robot where Sheldon gets kidnapped by aliens and lives an entire life as a space pirate trying to get back home. By the time he gets home he's 80 but only a day or so has passed due to spacetime shenanigans. They eventually try to fix the problem by de-aging him with a science gizmo but they send him too far back and he ends up as a baby, and to fix THAT they give him back to the space pirates and send him into space AGAIN for another 15 years so when he comes back he's his proper age and the status quo is restored.

Except it's totally not and Sheldon remembers absolutely everything from the past 95 or so years. He even calls out the main cast on how hosed up it was to give a baby to a bunch of space pirates implying that the last several years didn't go smoothly.

Unfortunately the show just sort of forgets that all happened after that point. Which is too bad because it was a really interesting direction for his character. It would have been nice to at least get an occasional nod to his development in the form of him now being useful in a fight or still kind of hating Jenny or something.

What the gently caress. I knew MLAATR had some weird episodes but I had no idea they got that hosed up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mighty Magiswords got renewed for a second season, yay.

Also, Infinity Train will have its TV debut tomorrow at 6am (?!)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, Infinity Train will have its TV debut tomorrow at 6am (?!)

As a series or are they just randomly showing the pilot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's just the pilot. I don't think there's been any word of it being greenlit yet.