Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I might check 538 once in a while but I have never read something from them that I found compelling enough to ever actually visit the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Patrick Spens posted:

Do you have a good one to recommend?
the atlantic, harper's, and the new yorker are very good long form publications that sometimes write about sports

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
538 is awful. Occasionally a headline sounds good but the articles are almost always bad. I honestly cannot think of a single time I read something I thought was great there.

Grantland was great. I never read a single pop culture piece and I still loved the site. There was nothing better.

I can't wait until 3 or 4 years from now when we really find out how turbulent ESPN is was right now. They're killing everything except First Take.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

C. Everett Koop posted:

As opposed to yours which hasn't produced a burn yet.

Burn rate means the amount of money they are "burning" each quarter without showing profit. Grantland was a vanity project subsidized by the network.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

Burn rate means the amount of money they are "burning" each quarter without showing profit. Grantland was a vanity project subsidized by the network.
this is used as a justification for firing simmons/shutting down the site, but it was marketed and approached like a vanity project by the network. A lot of the infighting was over the fact that grantland wanted to promote/drive revenue more and ESPN didn't want them to (probably with this sort of endgame in mind)

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Nathan Bernhardt @jonbernhardt
I've got a lot of angry thoughts about this I won't air publicly, but one I will air is this: Grantland was killed by ideology, not budget.
2:06 PM - 30 Oct 2015

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

The ideology of hot takes uber alles

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
This is depressing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sounds like some of the regional beat writers are being let go too. Scott Powers (Blackhawks) and Jon Greenberg (Cubs) got let go and wrote primarily for ESPN Chicago.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Apparently ESPN isn't big on the whole "notification" thing:

Jennifer Hayden posted:

@BillSimmons I spent around 8 yrs at ESPN. Found out they sold my division when boss showed up at 8am Mon w/ new boss. Intro’d us & left

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Grantland doesn't need to exist without Simmons. Good for ESPN.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

fsif posted:

I've got a lot of angry thoughts about this I won't air publicly, but one I will air is this: Grantland was killed by ideology, not budget.

I'm guessing the point being that the ~*big media dawgs*~ want to guide sports discourse down a more lowbrow, clickbaity, easily digestible path? I'd probably say that's a fair point.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

:D

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

illcendiary posted:

I'm guessing the point being that the ~*big media dawgs*~ want to guide sports discourse down a more lowbrow, clickbaity, easily digestible path? I'd probably say that's a fair point.

I doubt they care very much what the content in, the only metric that matters is how much revenue it brings in vs how much it costs.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

grantland traffic over last 6 months

the site's been going steadily downhill for awhile now and it'll be good to see their talent on new platforms sooner rather than later

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

davecrazy posted:

I doubt they care very much what the content in, the only metric that matters is how much revenue it brings in vs how much it costs.

Fair, but that's a sort of ipso facto situation, honestly.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

fsif posted:

It's funny to me to see a goon's tweet getting reposted back to Something Awful.

Great White Hope posted:

538 is a really good site during Presidential Election season, and the most pointless site on the internet outside of it. Why anybody got paid to come with the idea of 'hey, what if we use 538 for non-election stuff' I will never know.

The reason is because Nate Silver was one of the best baseball analysts of all time before he quit to do politics. But since 538 had to be a generalist site and not just focus on e.g. fixing PECOTA, it's been doomed from the start.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

ESPN basically wants Network to be a documentary.

More research on concussions: https://news.osu.edu/news/2014/11/16/%E2%80%8Bdanger-of-repeat-head-injuries-brain%E2%80%99s-inability-to-tap-energy-source/

It basically says that a second blow after a concussion is really catastrophic in terms of brain injury.

quote:

Lots of data show that if two head injuries occur close together, it’s not like 1 plus 1. It’s more like 1 plus 10,” Weil said.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

illcendiary posted:

Grantland wasn't too different. Just more verbose and a lot of advanced stats stuff. And despite printing a hardbound volume (which is funny to remember) it was never gonna be Lapham's Quarterly. The thing about sports is people who played will always know more than writers and podcast people. You can only dance around that fact with quality writing so much.

There are enough of their target audience, the 110 IQ types (see the success of John Oliver), that they probably could have been more successful if it was an independent venture from day 1. Simmons could have hired these same unemployed twitter people and made a youtube channel for free and would probably be making money or bought out by now. But he is too risk averse.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

straight up brolic posted:

grantland traffic over last 6 months

the site's been going steadily downhill for awhile now and it'll be good to see their talent on new platforms sooner rather than later

They did fire their most popular writer and hardly promoted the site during that span. Not sure what they expected.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
ESPN's Corporate Push: Undefeated Adding 20 Staffers While Grantland Closes

http://www.theundefeated.com/

This site will cost half as much and get 1/10th the traffic that Grantland did.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

And at 3/5ths the cost.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

James Andrew Miller ‏@JimMiller 2m2 minutes ago

All @Grantland33 writers will have their contracts honored; intent is to use sports writers on other @espn platforms.

The ESPN PR twitter feed keeps promoting these tweets as if it's some kind of favor they are doing to writers by honoring legally binding contracts.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

African AIDS cum posted:

Grantland wasn't too different. Just more verbose and a lot of advanced stats stuff. And despite printing a hardbound volume (which is funny to remember) it was never gonna be Lapham's Quarterly. The thing about sports is people who played will always know more than writers and podcast people. You can only dance around that fact with quality writing so much.

There are enough of their target audience, the 110 IQ types (see the success of John Oliver), that they probably could have been more successful if it was an independent venture from day 1. Simmons could have hired these same unemployed twitter people and made a youtube channel for free and would probably be making money or bought out by now. But he is too risk averse.

Scorching takes all around

110 IQ types, along with "if you didn't play you can never understand." Solid stuff, 5/5.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Wonder if the contracts allow them to walk away on the shutter of Grantland if they want.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

The ESPN PR twitter feed keeps promoting these tweets as if it's some kind of favor they are doing to writers by honoring legally binding contracts.

I think its less patting themselves on the back and more about countering the fact that many outlets are implying that they fired the writers.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I always thought Grandland was a great halo product for ESPN, sort of like the 30 for 30 project. Someone has to lend credibility to the brand.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Niwrad posted:

I would think a lot of those writers would prefer a severance package and the freedom to go start work somewhere else immediately instead of probably getting buried and losing the freedom and specific editors they had in grantland (i.e. Zach Lowe won't be writing espn.com articles about mascots and use youtube links breaking down certain plays).

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Teddybear posted:

Wonder if the contracts allow them to walk away on the shutter of Grantland if they want.

I would hope so.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BigBoss posted:

I always thought Grandland was a great halo product for ESPN, sort of like the 30 for 30 project. Someone has to lend credibility to the brand.

It was a great vanity product, yeah, but ESPN is hemorrhaging money left and right. The vanity products are the first to go. 538 is safe because it was an acquisition with ABC for next year's elections but there's going to be a lot more bloodletting in the coming weeks and months.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BigBoss posted:

It makes sense for ESPN to have a money-losing (or money-neutral) place for prestige long-form journalism when they are feeling flush. The word for the last several months has been that ESPN's corporate masters are cutting budgets and slashing payrolls, so unfortunately it makes sense that the much-praised but not very lucrative prestige website gets shuttered.

There's also the problem that Grantland is so tightly associated with a particular disgruntled former employee, and will probably never fully escape its shadow. If, after the current spasm of cuts and austerity and belt-tightening, ESPN does want a place for that kind of journalism, they are probably better off building it from scratch with a new team than trying to keep Bill Simmons' ghost ship floating.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mornacale posted:

The reason is because Nate Silver was one of the best baseball analysts of all time before he quit to do politics. But since 538 had to be a generalist site and not just focus on e.g. fixing PECOTA, it's been doomed from the start.
Well they are doing some similar useful things for other sports, like their NBA version of PECOTA (I think it's CARMELO?) or their NFL projections and ELO ratings. I don't follow baseketball and footbal closely enough to know how good those features are.

I don't think 538's baseball stuff has generally been that good. Sometimes there were interesting pieces that touched on something new, but they always seem to just scratch the surface and left me wanting more in depth analysis (like this one on pitcher/batter influence on exit velocity)

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

lol CARMELO is so loving bad

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

So It Goes posted:

Zach Lowe won't be writing espn.com articles about mascots and use youtube links breaking down certain plays.

Why not?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

jyrka posted:

Why not?
There has never been a five second youtube clip in any espn.com article. They only host their own/legally acquired content on their own video service

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

FMguru posted:

It makes sense for ESPN to have a money-losing (or money-neutral) place for prestige long-form journalism when they are feeling flush. The word for the last several months has been that ESPN's corporate masters are cutting budgets and slashing payrolls, so unfortunately it makes sense that the much-praised but not very lucrative prestige website gets shuttered.

Isn't the new Star Wars movie going to pay for whatever tire fire is going on at ESPN and then some

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

There has never been a five second youtube clip in any espn.com article. They only host their own/legally acquired content on their own video service

Eh, that's probably easy enough to overcome one way or another.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Isn't the new Star Wars movie going to pay for whatever tire fire is going on at ESPN and then some

Totally different divisions.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

the atlantic, harper's, and the new yorker are very good long form publications that sometimes write about sports

Yeah, but they tend to be more "big picture." I'm talking about focused stuff like Lowe or Mays' work, or the shootarounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mays tweeted that Bill Simmons has pretty much already offered him and Barnwell jobs.

Hopefully they can get that done soon, because I sure could use a football podcast for my walk home on Monday.