Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

My most recent hilarity ensued when I tried to sideload 4.4 on my tablets. It actually recognized it with ADB just fine, when android was booted.

Once I rebooted into recovery, they reverted to devices with yellow exclamation points. The only way I got those to work was going "Update Driver..." but it wasn't as simple as just pointing it at the folder that had the Google UBS drivers. Oh no. I had to say I already had the driver installed, then find the google driver already installed on my system, and then click through warnings about how this really probably wasn't the driver I wanted.

From looking around, it seems that Google put the wrong device IDs in the inf file for the driver and they don't actually match up with what the tablets report to windows so it thinks they aren't the right drivers for it and won't automatically install them.

You just described EXACTLY what I went through last night for my Nexus 7 2013, my Nexus 4, my fiancee's Nexus 7 2012, AND my friend's Nexus 7 2012.

I even had to go in and edit the inf file for my phone, tablet, and my fiancee's tablet JUST to make it work.

It went from "Nexus 4" and "Nexus 7" in Device Manager under Portable Devices up to Android Devices or something and it was broken there too. Once you go into Recovery, the drivers just...don't work and you have to do EXACTLY what you and I did to make it work.

Rooting and getting custom ROMs and dealing with Android's usual poo poo is nothing compared to just installing drivers and loving with Windows thinking it knows better than you and Google not putting the correct device IDs in the inf file.

Ok, sorry, I know this is the tablet thread but I had to just let all that out.

Let's talk tablets.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/14/grab-a-tablet-from-newegg-for-10-off-with-this-coupon-code/ Newegg has a 10% off coupon for any tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I had to use some android rooting tool to get the correct drivers installed for my N7 2013 in recovery mode. All this while I had softbricked it while trying to get 4.4 to install. So I did a recovery back to 4.3 and then sideloaded 4.4 again. Now I have a tablet with 4.4 and I think I'll just wait for OTA next time. If there even is a next time since Google seems to have taken a "18 months is the longest amount of time you get updates" even for Nexus devices. My verizon Gnex never even got 4.3.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Sadly this code expired within, like, six hours after it was posted. The Staples coupon seems to still be going strong though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Penguissimo posted:

Sadly this code expired within, like, six hours after it was posted. The Staples coupon seems to still be going strong though.

Just bought a Nexus 7 32GB because I'm impulsive.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You are?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Have you sold it yet?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I picked up a used 32gb 2012 Nexus 7 from Amazon, gonna be here tomorrow. I've never used Android before, have been building & working with computers since I was in middle school, and am used to iOS for touchscreen operating systems. Are there any crazy differences I should prepare for? Coming from iOS it sounds like there's a lot more flexibility with Android which is good, but I'm not quite sure how much tinkering I should be expecting.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

GobiasIndustries posted:

I picked up a used 32gb 2012 Nexus 7 from Amazon, gonna be here tomorrow. I've never used Android before, have been building & working with computers since I was in middle school, and am used to iOS for touchscreen operating systems. Are there any crazy differences I should prepare for? Coming from iOS it sounds like there's a lot more flexibility with Android which is good, but I'm not quite sure how much tinkering I should be expecting.

Not much to tell you that you'll find out as you go exploring. The biggest difference would be home screen customization but at the end of the day it's a touch screen OS. You shouldn't have any difficulties with the major stuff.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Good to know it isn't going to be completely crazy :) I'm not adverse to diving into new tech but it's always good to know of any major road bumps.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Holy poo poo, I think my issue got fixed or at least may get fixed until I reboot my computer.

I had it connected via usb with debugging on, it wouldn't show up in adb. Went to Device Manager and uninstalled the drivers for the Google ADB stuff, then it instantly popped back up again. I uninstalled those drivers then, it popped back up and I did another install. It was after that 3rd one that I looked at my N10 and realized it was asking if I wanted to authorize my computer for USB debugging.

Of course after I had already done the final uninstall where Windows then asked to fully uninstall the drivers I needed to reboot my computer.

So I haven't rebooted yet, but the thing shows up in explorer and in the N10 Toolkit so I guess I had some drivers installed over other ones and they didn't play nice with each other.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I picked up a square trade warranty for my nexus 7 34 days after purchase, the warranty purchase went through, will they nullify my warranty as soon as I submit a screen claim on it?

In theory it shouldn't let me purchase a warranty outside of the 30 day span.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

real_scud posted:

Holy poo poo, I think my issue got fixed or at least may get fixed until I reboot my computer.

I had it connected via usb with debugging on, it wouldn't show up in adb. Went to Device Manager and uninstalled the drivers for the Google ADB stuff, then it instantly popped back up again. I uninstalled those drivers then, it popped back up and I did another install. It was after that 3rd one that I looked at my N10 and realized it was asking if I wanted to authorize my computer for USB debugging.

Of course after I had already done the final uninstall where Windows then asked to fully uninstall the drivers I needed to reboot my computer.

So I haven't rebooted yet, but the thing shows up in explorer and in the N10 Toolkit so I guess I had some drivers installed over other ones and they didn't play nice with each other.

There is a tool I used for putting custom ROMs on my HTC phone that analyses all the USB drivers you have on your comp, and let's you manually delete them. You kill anything with Google, Samsung, HTC etc in the id and then reinstall the driver package specific to your device that you can get from xda normally. Currently on my n7 but I will edit in the name of the program once I get out of bed if no one else has come across it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Hadlock posted:

I picked up a square trade warranty for my nexus 7 34 days after purchase, the warranty purchase went through, will they nullify my warranty as soon as I submit a screen claim on it?

In theory it shouldn't let me purchase a warranty outside of the 30 day span.

What credit card did you buy the Nexus 7 with? If it's a Visa Signature, or an AMEX non-entry level card it will have 90 days accidental damage/theft coverage on all your purchases.

Polluxx Troy
Mar 12, 2005

...authorities here are on alert...
Nexus 10 question: Can anyone confirm if USB OTG works in 4.4?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

CancerCakes posted:

There is a tool I used for putting custom ROMs on my HTC phone that analyses all the USB drivers you have on your comp, and let's you manually delete them. You kill anything with Google, Samsung, HTC etc in the id and then reinstall the driver package specific to your device that you can get from xda normally. Currently on my n7 but I will edit in the name of the program once I get out of bed if no one else has come across it.
Yeah I think the Nexus10 Toolkit I use has that program it's called USBDeview.exe and it shows a lot of drivers and things associated with a USB device, I had used that to delete as many of the Nexus/Google/Samsung items I could find and it still didn't work until I used device manager to delete all the drivers.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

You just described EXACTLY what I went through last night for my Nexus 7 2013, my Nexus 4, my fiancee's Nexus 7 2012, AND my friend's Nexus 7 2012.

I even had to go in and edit the inf file for my phone, tablet, and my fiancee's tablet JUST to make it work.

It went from "Nexus 4" and "Nexus 7" in Device Manager under Portable Devices up to Android Devices or something and it was broken there too. Once you go into Recovery, the drivers just...don't work and you have to do EXACTLY what you and I did to make it work.

Rooting and getting custom ROMs and dealing with Android's usual poo poo is nothing compared to just installing drivers and loving with Windows thinking it knows better than you and Google not putting the correct device IDs in the inf file.

For anyone else experiencing this (I suppose it's probably few people at this point), the exact same thing happened to me on my 2013 N7. When it was in fastboot mode, I did a Update Driver on the broken N7 driver in device manager, and selected one of the defaults the USB driver download had. I can't seem to recreate it now, but it was the first of 3 options, ADB Device or something. It worked perfectly soon as it changed it to that.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So my Nexus 7 was delivered and I already love this little thing :) I installed BSplayer and I'm streaming movies from my server and it's glorious.

Quick questions:
Should I be upgrading my OS from 4.2 to the latest version?
Is there a better media player I should be using?
Are there emulators available to play my old NES/SNES games?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yes.
MXPlayer is decent
Check the games thread

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dice Player is neat for putting a floating video window on your screen while you do other stuff, if you're into that. MX Player is my go-to though

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome, much appreciated! I'll grab MX player and go from there. Also, when I go to upgrade my system it's saying I can upgrade to 4.2.2, but I've seen that 4.4 (kitkat?) is available..is this an incremental upgrade kind of a thing or do I need to go about installing the new OS a different way?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

GobiasIndustries posted:

Awesome, much appreciated! I'll grab MX player and go from there. Also, when I go to upgrade my system it's saying I can upgrade to 4.2.2, but I've seen that 4.4 (kitkat?) is available..is this an incremental upgrade kind of a thing or do I need to go about installing the new OS a different way?

I'm pretty sure the 2012 is currently on 4.3, and will get 4.4 soon. Try updating to 4.2.2, and then see if it prompts for 4.3.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Super Dude posted:

I'm pretty sure the 2012 is currently on 4.3, and will get 4.4 soon. Try updating to 4.2.2, and then see if it prompts for 4.3.
4.4 is out for both the WiFi and cellular versions and can be flashed directly if desired.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

GobiasIndustries posted:

OTA's are done incrementally.

(for the most part)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Point and laugh at cakefool time. I replaced the screen on my 2012 N7 and now it's dead. I originally broke the touch layer on the old one so I swapped that back to see if the new one was DOA. Neither will light up and I know it has about 30% battery. I'm going to leave it on charge for a while, is there anything else I can do to diagnose what I broke or should I sell it for parts and buy a new one?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Cakefool posted:

Point and laugh at cakefool time.

:cawg:

For content: Get that rumor mill hype train started. Google to launch new Nexus 10 tablet next week. http://mashable.com/2013/11/16/google-nexus-10-launch/?utm_cid=mash-com-g+-main-photo

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

What credit card did you buy the Nexus 7 with? If it's a Visa Signature, or an AMEX non-entry level card it will have 90 days accidental damage/theft coverage on all your purchases.

Debit card with a Visa logo, but those fancy features only apply to real credit cards, right? It's a discussion for another thread but I swore off personal unsecured credit cards after college.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Is there a stylus I SHOULD be using with my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0?

I have a few drawing programs that I got really good results from back on my old android phone with a much smaller screen than the Tab. The sensitivity is good when using my finger, but when switching to either of the styluses I have, any lines become jagged and wavy. (Both were cheap styluses, though. One a WOW brand with that strange mesh nib and the other with a regular rubbery nib, both about the size of a pea.)

At first I thought it was a consequence of my screen protector, so I took it off, but it still didn't help.

If I draw a curved line with a finger it is a smooth arc. With the stylus, it looks like a sine wave going across that same path. There seems to be some consistency, though, as stylus-drawn lines almost seem like they're 'snapping' to some uniform position on the screen regardless of the type or direction of line I draw.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 17, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

real_scud posted:

Yeah I think the Nexus10 Toolkit I use has that program it's called USBDeview.exe and it shows a lot of drivers and things associated with a USB device, I had used that to delete as many of the Nexus/Google/Samsung items I could find and it still didn't work until I used device manager to delete all the drivers.
I'm glad you got it fixed and I don't mean to sound smug but this is exactly what I told you to do on the last page and you said that it didn't work.

Anyway, yes, deleting it over and over in device manager until the device will not recognise and then manually installing the Google driver has always fixed such issues for me.

Also toolkits are mostly terrible.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

kitten smoothie posted:

Exactly what is so special about this transparency effect that puts it beyond the reach of the Nexus 10?

The alpha blending required to pull it off the nav bar/status bar translucency is expensive when you take into account the 10's high resolution/density. Maybe it was unable to pull it off in resource intensive scenarios (i.e games) without inflicting frame drops.

Seems akin to the iPad 3 which had it's Gaussian blur/frosted glass effects removed in its iOS 7 build for similar performance reasons.

The Merkinman posted:

:cawg:

For content: Get that rumor mill hype train started. Google to launch new Nexus 10 tablet next week. http://mashable.com/2013/11/16/google-nexus-10-launch/?utm_cid=mash-com-g+-main-photo

There's also this which was leaked by a supposed O2 UK employee on Saturday:

(For reference £299 is the same price as the 16GB Play Nexus 5)

And this which showed up shortly after from a different source:

The "LG-V510" passed the Bluetooth SIG on October 24 so if nothing else the timings right. HID over GATT is a 4.4 feature which matches up as well. There's the matter of the missing status bar, but the current Play store image of the 2012 Nexus 10 is missing the nav bar so who knows. Maybe it will inherit G Pad 8.3's IR Blaster due to the closeness in model name (LG-V500).

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ugh, more LG garbage? C'mon google, close the source, give all OEMs the finger, and start using motorola to make one phone, one 7" tablet, and one 10" tablet per year.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've been trying to follow these instructions: http://www.androidauthority.com/manually-install-android-4-4-kitkat-nexus-7-20122013-wifi-nexus-10-317138/
to update my 2012 Nexus 7 to 4.4. I've never gotten the step requiring RSA authorization to appear, however. Is there something I'm missing here? I can't get the computer to connect to the tablet when in debug mode and I'm pretty sure this is the missing step.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've been trying to follow these instructions: http://www.androidauthority.com/manually-install-android-4-4-kitkat-nexus-7-20122013-wifi-nexus-10-317138/
to update my 2012 Nexus 7 to 4.4. I've never gotten the step requiring RSA authorization to appear, however. Is there something I'm missing here? I can't get the computer to connect to the tablet when in debug mode and I'm pretty sure this is the missing step.

Have you installed the ADB drivers?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sereri posted:

Have you installed the ADB drivers?

I think so, the Nexus 7 shows up in the Device Manager under Portable Devices.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

Ugh, more LG garbage? C'mon google, close the source, give all OEMs the finger, and start using motorola to make one phone, one 7" tablet, and one 10" tablet per year.
They don't even need to do that. They just need to stop giving OEMs access to Play services. But they won't because why would they? They want as many Android users as possible.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't generally use ADB sideload but I can't imagine that enabling USB debugging within Android could have any affect on whether you can sideload from recovery.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a better way to install this update manually?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is there a better way to install this update manually?
Is your bootloader unlocked?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tunga posted:

Is your bootloader unlocked?

Honestly I don't know. If it isn't in the steps I listed, probably not.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

Honestly I don't know. If it isn't in the steps I listed, probably not.
Then no. You can skip the part about enabling USB debugging and jump straight to the bootloader part and try that. But you can't do it any other way since your bootloader is locked. And unlocking your bootloader wipes your device.

Otherwise just wait for the OTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tunga posted:

Then no. You can skip the part about enabling USB debugging and jump straight to the bootloader part and try that. But you can't do it any other way since your bootloader is locked. And unlocking your bootloader wipes your device.

Otherwise just wait for the OTA.

I'm not adverse to getting dirty, but is there any sort of ETA for the OTA 4.4 update? At this point I'm just thinking it'd be easier to wait but if it's gonna be weeks, forget that.