Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

mattfl posted:

So this is pretty cool

iPadOS 13 + DS4 controller + PS4 Remote play app.

This is pretty neat but even on sicknasty local WiFi the look and performance is artifacty buttholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

mattfl posted:

So this is pretty cool

How’s the latency and input delay?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Feenix posted:

This is pretty neat but even on sicknasty local WiFi the look and performance is artifacty buttholes.

I didn’t notice this at all. I had to switch my iPad to my 5ghz network and my PS4 is wired, but it was buttery smooth with no artifacts for me. On my 2.8ghz network however it was as you described.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Rolo posted:

How’s the latency and input delay?

Haven’t noticed any.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

With a good wireless network (i.e. 80MHz wide 802.11ac channels) works fantastically. That's how I used to play my SteamLink device (game PC had wireless adapter to wireless SteamLink).

If you've got stuttering and poor performance on an 802.11ac network, then you need to revisit your network design/layout.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

mattfl posted:

So this is pretty cool

I’m pretty excited for this. I use my switch a lot in bed but there’s a few ps games I want to finish but not sit in the den for/wait for the tv to be free. Looking forward to trying this out.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Weedle posted:

Now stream Microsoft Golf for Windows 95.

That would probably work with SteamLink!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

mattfl posted:

Haven’t noticed any.

That’s awesome, can you play multiplayer games like Red Dead?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Proteus Jones posted:

With a good wireless network (i.e. 80MHz wide 802.11ac channels) works fantastically. That's how I used to play my SteamLink device (game PC had wireless adapter to wireless SteamLink).

If you've got stuttering and poor performance on an 802.11ac network, then you need to revisit your network design/layout.

I mean, I suppose? I know it’s standard for someone to then reply defensively about how ultra dope their network is but, sincerely, every other device in my house pulls amazing speeds off my Orbi mesh network. So, yeah I may need to tweak... something? But this would be the first thing I’d have to do that for. Not even sure what I’d need to do...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

I mean, I suppose? I know it’s standard for someone to then reply defensively about how ultra dope their network is but, sincerely, every other device in my house pulls amazing speeds off my Orbi mesh network. So, yeah I may need to tweak... something? But this would be the first thing I’d have to do that for. Not even sure what I’d need to do...

Not being defensive, more along the lines of this poo poo is complicated and just setting stuff up and hoping for the best won’t cut it with low-latency, high bandwidth services.

I’ve found most consumer mesh solutions to be pretty poo poo. Enterprise mesh can be really solid, but at the same time it’s pretty unrealistic for home users to buy enterprise class APs at $1500+ a pop.

For consumer products, I only have experience with Plume and Google mesh stuff, but I’ve found that for 95% of the time, mesh performance is perfectly adequate. But also can also be wildly inconsistent in terms of avg bandwidth delivery. I’ve had situations where signal-wise I’ve been solid: SNR > 25, RSSI of approx -50 to -60dBm, and noise at around -90 dBm. I’ve gone from effective (half-duplex) bandwidth of around 800 Mbps on the edge at one point, to dropping down to 260Mbps a couple hours later. 1080p streaming was like a slide-show. After going over logs with the support team, it appears that between the client traffic and the management of the mesh, the mesh network is tripping all over itself.

What I ultimately ended up doing is going back to a single, monolithic AP placed in the near geometric center (horizontally and vertically) of my house. I’m now back to rock solid signal, latency and throughput. Not everything *needs* to be mesh. I have no issues streaming 4K video (or playing my Steam games) anywhere in the house.

But if your location can’t be served by a single AP for whatever reason, the guarantee it works solution is to bite the bullet and deploy cat6 in the walls and wire up your pods/satellite mesh APs that way so the antennas are only used for client traffic and not also used for backhaul management and tuning.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Fair enough. I guess my point was more like, Remote play sure is a neat idea and no one should need to know any of what you just said to have it work well or it kind of misses the mark.

Wish it did work better for me. My 12.9 iPad Pro is a fantastic portable tv screen.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

I guess my point was more like, Remote play sure is a neat idea and no one should need to know any of what you just said to have it work well or it kind of misses the mark.

I am 100% with you on that. I mean, I have domain specific expertise and it still took me a week before I figured out what the poo poo was going on. I really, really wanted it to Just Work.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WiFi is insane voodoo magic that converts electrical signals from digital to analog and back to digital and it's a miracle any of this poo poo works at all.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

priznat posted:

Picking up my new iPad Air with keyboard tonight, pretty stoked. Now I can steam link games with the steelcase controller to play in bed or on the couch!

just a heads up, pretty sure no steel case controller supports l3/r3 so some games might suffer a bit from that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

sleepwalkers posted:

just a heads up, pretty sure no steel case controller supports l3/r3 so some games might suffer a bit from that.

Hm, good to know. Had forgotten I got Witcher 3 on Gog so no playing via steam link anyway, not til I move to a new game. (Witcher 3 is amazing, so much stuff to do!!)

New iPad Air and smart keyboard is great though, perfect size. The setup was so ridiculously easy too with just bringing the phone nearby, it’s like magic.

I do sorta miss faceID but the extra price of the pro didn’t seem worth it for me.

Is there a keyboard shortcut on the smart keyboard to activate siri btw or dictation when typing?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Hi there, a local store is selling the 2018 ipad wifi+cell/32g variant at 349€. Is there any downfalls from going last model? My last ipad was an air 2 (which i expect to have a better screen to the current cheap model) so i know how the basics work. I don't care about smart cases (i still have a old logitech bt keyboard that i bought for my mk1 ipad) or wireless charging.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Technically it's the current iPad. It'll be faster than the Air 2, but yeah, the screen's not quite as good. I like mine fwiw, though I don't know if that's a good deal or not.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

SlowBloke posted:

Hi there, a local store is selling the 2018 ipad wifi+cell/32g variant at 349€. Is there any downfalls from going last model? My last ipad was an air 2 (which i expect to have a better screen to the current cheap model) so i know how the basics work. I don't care about smart cases (i still have a old logitech bt keyboard that i bought for my mk1 ipad) or wireless charging.

The only problem I see here is the 32GB size. Even with iCloud or Dropbox etc it’s gonna be a pain to micromanage. Any chance they have a 64GB one at a similar price?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The only problem I see here is the 32GB size. Even with iCloud or Dropbox etc it’s gonna be a pain to micromanage. Any chance they have a 64GB one at a similar price?

It only comes in 32 and 128.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Technically it's the current iPad. It'll be faster than the Air 2, but yeah, the screen's not quite as good. I like mine fwiw, though I don't know if that's a good deal or not.

Undiscounted price is 489€ so it's quite a jump

Boris Galerkin posted:

I survived with my ipad 1 and ipad 3 at the minimum flash quota(16g) so storage gymnastics don't scare me that much.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 8, 2019

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Can you do trade in directly in the Apple store or do you have to send it in for the gift Card?

I have an Apple Watch s3 stainless and iPad Pro 10.5 and I'm looking to move up to the new pros.

I checked the serials on apples site and it'll be a nice chunk towards the new one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Matt Zerella posted:

Can you do trade in directly in the Apple store or do you have to send it in for the gift Card?

I have an Apple Watch s3 stainless and iPad Pro 10.5 and I'm looking to move up to the new pros.

I checked the serials on apples site and it'll be a nice chunk towards the new one.

If you have an Apple store close enough, that's the fastest way. They'll give you the gift card right there.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you have an Apple store close enough, that's the fastest way. They'll give you the gift card right there.

Yeah I'm in NYC so I have multiple options. Thanks!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I managed to snag the last unit present in the store...rose gold :blush:
The iPad is stupid fast compared to my old air 2 but the screen is not bad as I thought. Hopefully it won’t slow down to a crawl once iOS 13 goes GA

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

I managed to snag the last unit present in the store...rose gold :blush:
The iPad is stupid fast compared to my old air 2 but the screen is not bad as I thought. Hopefully it won’t slow down to a crawl once iOS 13 goes GA

Performance will improve if anything.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!
Buglord
Just saw a youtube vid about iPadOS/iOS 13. Does anyone know how that "desktop experience" safari feature is going to work? When I owned an iPad, having a mobile browser still meant I had a lot of goofiness on websites which were even underdeveloped on desktop. Things that come to mind are a plethora of .edu and .gov websites, which are generally places you must have proper access to.

I'm not really concerned about websites like Facebook or Google Docs or news sites, its those mission-critical yet backwater websites.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

buglord posted:

Just saw a youtube vid about iPadOS/iOS 13. Does anyone know how that "desktop experience" safari feature is going to work? When I owned an iPad, having a mobile browser still meant I had a lot of goofiness on websites which were even underdeveloped on desktop. Things that come to mind are a plethora of .edu and .gov websites, which are generally places you must have proper access to.

I'm not really concerned about websites like Facebook or Google Docs or news sites, its those mission-critical yet backwater websites.

Probably not much, considering the feature is primarily about convincing responsive websites to send you the desktop-width layout instead of the mobile one and those sites probably don't have any mobile site at all.

It won't fix a website being unusable garbage.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

buglord posted:

I just watched the WWDC video on that :v:

My biggest question was how they’re handling mouse hover, and they’re doing some heuristic to send hover events. Like normally a tap does a click (mousedown, mouseup), but if it’s on an element that uses hover, it sees if there’s a related “significant change” or something, in which case it sends a hover event, and a second tap does click. So for something like hover menus, it’ll bring up the menu instead of clicking through the menu header like it does now.

Off the top of my head some of the other things (but not all) were sending the Mac user agent (to get the desktop site by default), and tweaks to the auto layout/scaling to take advantage of space when available while still being legible (does some auto stuff, and varies by window and iPad/screen size). Another thing is per site settings (which presumably stick) so you can set font scaling, desktop/mobile, and enable/disable content blocking per site. Also supports downloading and uploading crap I guess but that’s not entirely new.

There’s also new stuff from the web dev side of things but that probably won’t apply to those janky sites. I think the combination of being identified as a desktop browser by default, handling mouse hover, and per site settings will handle most cases.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Mouse hover would be huge. My biggest conflicts with mobile Safari are sites that won’t display a pop-up or some other kind of contextual menu.

I could already get the desktop version of a page by holding down the refresh button, so identifying as desktop Safari by default won’t do too much to improve the browsing experience.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You can request the mobile version specifically in iPadOS 13 much like you used to have to specifically request the desktop version before.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

japtor posted:

My biggest question was how they’re handling mouse hover, and they’re doing some heuristic to send hover events. Like normally a tap does a click (mousedown, mouseup), but if it’s on an element that uses hover, it sees if there’s a related “significant change” or something, in which case it sends a hover event, and a second tap does click. So for something like hover menus, it’ll bring up the menu instead of clicking through the menu header like it does now.

Doesn’t iOS Safari already do this? I’ve definitely used Safari on non-mobile pages with hover events and it basically worked like Tap -> hover action -> tap again -> click action.

Unless those sites just had special JavaScript to handle it for Safari, which is probably likely.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Last Chance posted:

You can request the mobile version specifically in iPadOS 13 much like you used to have to specifically request the desktop version before.
Yeah this will make a difference for some sites I’ve seen where they really wants you to use the mobile site and/or app. Like some redirect to a mobile landing page so you can’t even do the reload as desktop thing unless you catch it before the redirect, and even then, you have to do that every time you’re on that site.

tankadillo posted:

Doesn’t iOS Safari already do this? I’ve definitely used Safari on non-mobile pages with hover events and it basically worked like Tap -> hover action -> tap again -> click action.

Unless those sites just had special JavaScript to handle it for Safari, which is probably likely.
Yeah some stuff just had mobile friendly stuff, which they actually warn about with the new behavior depending how they were done, cause they’ll end up needing double the taps with the new behavior.

Anyway right now hovers can semi work depending how they’re made, with some awkwardness on the user side of things. One example they showed was usps.com if you want to play with how it works now. Tapping on the menu item expands the hover menu but also clicks through at the same time. The main trick I know of is to tap-drag, which I guess doesn’t complete the mouse up part of the tap/click action. This doesn’t work everywhere and can be inconsistent where it does work, which is why the whole hover thing is a big deal.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!
Buglord

japtor posted:

Yeah this will make a difference for some sites I’ve seen where they really wants you to use the mobile site and/or app. Like some redirect to a mobile landing page so you can’t even do the reload as desktop thing unless you catch it before the redirect, and even then, you have to do that every time you’re on that site.

Christ I hate this. I'm a lot less enthused if this requires web developers to do anything on their end, because I cant see that happening on .gov or .edu websites, or websites with mobile layouts that have reduced functionality.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

buglord posted:

Christ I hate this. I'm a lot less enthused if this requires web developers to do anything on their end, because I cant see that happening on .gov or .edu websites, or websites with mobile layouts that have reduced functionality.
Right, the whole point is that it doesn’t (or shouldn’t) require changes. iPads will present themselves as Macs and get the desktop sites by default, which should generally be fine thanks to the changes on the Safari side of things. The ghettoer the website (i.e. those .gov and .edu sites) the more likely I’d expect everything to work.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I could imagine Google hardcoding explicit checks for iPads and serving the “download the app today” splash page though. Gotta collect that data and I imagine you get more info from running an app than a website.

E: This is the same company that’s getting rid of adblockers in Chrome so yeah, I’m not joking.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I could imagine Google hardcoding explicit checks for iPads and serving the “download the app today” splash page though. Gotta collect that data and I imagine you get more info from running an app than a website.

E: This is the same company that’s getting rid of adblockers in Chrome so yeah, I’m not joking.
Yeah I’m mostly worried about bigger/smarter devs with a monetary interest in forcing you away from their webpages like Google/YouTube, Facebook, etc.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Will they be able to? Apple has mentioned Safari will stop 'fingerprinting' based on computer hardware. Will a site even be able to tell it's an iPad versus a MacBook?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

At the very least the website is gonna know the browser is Safari/WebKit, and if it can get the device’s resolution (it can) then it’s probably extremely trivial to figure out it’s an iPad.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I can’t find the post, but someone on Reddit said that in iPadOS, websites see it connect as a MacOS Catalina device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

At the very least the website is gonna know the browser is Safari/WebKit, and if it can get the device’s resolution (it can) then it’s probably extremely trivial to figure out it’s an iPad.
Yeah if a browser says they’re Mac Safari with some specific exact viewport (browser window) sizes, that’ll be enough to make an educated guess that it’s an iPad.

The fingerprinting stuff they’re preventing is for tracking individual users. Identifying the browser is just a general thing, like how sites can tell mobile vs desktop right now, just more exacting. Worst case they can probably do some trickiness like randomizing the user agent string and slightly tweaking the viewport enough that sites can’t make that educated guess without breaking things.