Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
imo mulligan coming from a stand-up comedy background kind of makes his response to criticism more understandable (but no less stupid), as far as he's concerned every negative comment is just a heckler and better off ignored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

this broken hill posted:

imo mulligan coming from a stand-up comedy background kind of makes his response to criticism more understandable (but no less stupid), as far as he's concerned every negative comment is just a heckler and better off ignored
I feel like that explains the consistant decline of quality, though. Like, it was never good, but it could have been if it had been steadily improving. Instead it's rotting.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
whys patrick so dark did he never shower after those years on the streets

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

The Worst Unicorn posted:

whys patrick so dark did he never shower after those years on the streets
He's got to be intriguingly ethnic even if his parents aren't?

Honestly with the character designs I think he's adopted, but it's fairly hard to tell considering how incoherent the comic is.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

PetraCore posted:

i think the mom is meant to be eastern european

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Not only have the last two pages had some of the worst dialogue I've ever read, they're also boring.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

pospysyl posted:

Not only have the last two pages had some of the worst dialogue I've ever read, they're also boring.

Repeat for most of the series run and you got my comments about sfp in specific.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
SFP would fare well if it were optioned by Netflix.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

pospysyl posted:

This and the table conversation with the professor that went nowhere make me wonder if a lobotomy would be better than reading this garbage.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

This and the table conversation with the professor that went nowhere make me wonder if a lobotomy would be better than reading this garbage.

According to the author, it is. Since that is what Alison is doing with PAtrick.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

i wonder how many pages it'll take for allison to assure patrick how none of this was his fault, but in just a vague enough way that the people in the comments will think it's deep

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rand Brittain posted:

The story they're currently telling has all the beats of a good story, as the broken young telepath proceeds to break everything even worse.

It's just not working because it's going to a bunch of really uncomfortable places, and people are refusing to engage with it because they no longer trust the author to handle it elegantly.

I really can't imagine going through the Anthony Carver Returns arc in Gunnerkrigg Court if I hadn't absolutely trusted Tom Siddell to handle what was going on to my satisfaction.

That's a really sideways way of saying "the writing is bad and nothing could possibly redeem it at this point", and I have to assume you phrased it that way because you don't want to admit the writing is bad. Then again, I'm really creeped out by the handling of Anthony Carver in Gunnerkrigg too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

PetraCore posted:

Honestly with the character designs I think he's adopted, but it's fairly hard to tell considering how incoherent the comic is.

I don't see much of a difference in their skin colors, and the art's too janky to try to start drawing conclusions about racial facial features, but the progeny of a woman with light brown hair and a man with kinda reddish hair somehow has black hair.

Something's screwy about those genetics.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Patrick is supposed to have an unhealthy skin colour. Because he rarely goes outside.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

That's a really sideways way of saying "the writing is bad and nothing could possibly redeem it at this point", and I have to assume you phrased it that way because you don't want to admit the writing is bad. Then again, I'm really creeped out by the handling of Anthony Carver in Gunnerkrigg too.
I think it's handled fine as long as it's not portrayed as making the consequences of his dumbass decisions ok. And I don't think it is framed that way just because he has reasons for being a dumbass. It could be handled better, and I think the deliberately ambiguious framing of blame in a situation that is literally child abuse does a disservice to the characters, but I've never got the feeling that Tom doesn't think how Anthony treats his daughter is damaging and wrong.

Meanwhile in SFP, you get people doing horrible things, a 'sympathetic motive' spoonfed to you, and then characters moving on merrily. It's like Mulligan knows the concept of pathos but like, as defined by TVTropes and stripped of context or skill. Character is sad! Feel bad for character! Now character has DEEP EMOTIONAL PAIN causing TERRIBLE ACTION. Remember when character was sad? Feel sad!! This is made even worse by the fact there's little tonal consistencies so moments that might have potentially been interesting framing in another comic like the deliberate cutting of the panels to hide the dad's body come off as having all the mastery of a baby playing peek-a-boo.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Nuns with Guns posted:

This story could be really good, if it were not so bad

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't see much of a difference in their skin colors, and the art's too janky to try to start drawing conclusions about racial facial features, but the progeny of a woman with light brown hair and a man with kinda reddish hair somehow has black hair.

Something's screwy about those genetics.
I was actually also thinking of the fact that his mom has black eyes and his dad has blue eyes but he's got light brown eyes. Black eyes are just dark dark brown, I think it could be that he's got the recessive blue eyes cutting down on the amount of melanin in his eyes, but it still feels a bit weird.

Now that I'm looking about it his eye color exactly matches his mom's hair color so it's probably supposed to be symbolic about how she looked stern but normal to people around her but was actually a soulless sociopath with the eyes of a shark, whereas he was menacing and scary but is actually a sad and wounded soul with puppy eyes. Which is dumb but is enough to make me think she was designed as his biological mother.

His darker skin could just be recessive, it's not like skin color works like mixing paint.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Patrick is supposed to have an unhealthy skin colour. Because he rarely goes outside.

i had flux on when i was looking at the pages earlier, now i see he's grey with sadness

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The whole point of Anthony Carver in GC is that he's a gigantic loving idiot who's trying to help and do the right thing but is so profoundly terrible at this that he almost got tricked by some gods into killing his own daughter.

The difference between GC and SFP is that in GC Anthony's backstory is there to provide more insight and flesh out his character. It's not a redemption for what he did and there's nothing wrong with him besides the fact that he's a massive idiot with horrible social skills. SFP wants to have its cake and eat it too by saying people's problems can be fixed by going into their head and forcibly changing their brain.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Man Allison must be chomping at the bit to start monologuing

Either that or give Patrick a warm, motherly hug

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

strong female protagonist is better than gunnerkrigg

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

The Worst Unicorn posted:

i had flux on when i was looking at the pages earlier, now i see he's grey with sadness
orange sorrow

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i wish i still enjoyed gunnerkrigg :( it was one of the only comics i ever binged, back in like 2008 (it was only about 400 pages then as opposed to ten thousand now but it still took me a while)

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
at least it looks like it might end soon

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PetraCore posted:

I think it's handled fine as long as it's not portrayed as making the consequences of his dumbass decisions ok. And I don't think it is framed that way just because he has reasons for being a dumbass. It could be handled better, and I think the deliberately ambiguious framing of blame in a situation that is literally child abuse does a disservice to the characters, but I've never got the feeling that Tom doesn't think how Anthony treats his daughter is damaging and wrong.

Meanwhile in SFP, you get people doing horrible things, a 'sympathetic motive' spoonfed to you, and then characters moving on merrily. It's like Mulligan knows the concept of pathos but like, as defined by TVTropes and stripped of context or skill. Character is sad! Feel bad for character! Now character has DEEP EMOTIONAL PAIN causing TERRIBLE ACTION. Remember when character was sad? Feel sad!! This is made even worse by the fact there's little tonal consistencies so moments that might have potentially been interesting framing in another comic like the deliberate cutting of the panels to hide the dad's body come off as having all the mastery of a baby playing peek-a-boo.

I find it concerning how none of the adults in Gunnerkrigg have done much to offer support to Annie, who's a 14/15 year old with a father that's at best neglectful, and at worst is super emotionally-abusive. I'd assume Tom knows Anthony is an abusive parent, but like you said I think it does a disservice to have the adults in the story all go "Here's what happened, without commentary, ok next chapter" to a teenage girl who's barely keeping it all together. Maybe it'll all end up like Avengers 200, and sometime in the future Annie will get to tell everyone to go gently caress themselves for letting a literal child try to cope with having her father nearly murder her on accident. But I don't know at this point.

SFP fails at a much more basic level by ridiculously flat characters fail at the most convoluted attempts at pathos.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

I find it concerning how none of the adults in Gunnerkrigg have done much to offer support to Annie, who's a 14/15 year old with a father that's at best neglectful, and at worst is super emotionally-abusive. I'd assume Tom knows Anthony is an abusive parent, but like you said I think it does a disservice to have the adults in the story all go "Here's what happened, without commentary, ok next chapter" to a teenage girl who's barely keeping it all together. Maybe it'll all end up like Avengers 200, and sometime in the future Annie will get to tell everyone to go gently caress themselves for letting a literal child try to cope with having her father nearly murder her on accident. But I don't know at this point.

SFP fails at a much more basic level by ridiculously flat characters fail at the most convoluted attempts at pathos.
Ehn, I'd argue Kat's parents are really trying to offer support, but doing so clumsily and badly and they feel unable to actively go 'hey cut this the poo poo out she should not be living with her dad' bc of the Court, but yeah, it sucks to read. I'm having way less fun with GC this past few years than before.

At least SFP is unintentionally hilarious.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

idk it's a pretty realistic reaction people have to watching a friend of theirs be not-outright-call-the-police-ASAP domestically abusive, it's not the Right Thing To Do but it's an accurate rendering of the most common experience of living with a lovely person, and helped ground the whole magical half-girl-half-fire being raised by a superscientist failed necromancer in techno-Hogwarts thing. I don't think Antimony seeing the adults theoretically in charge fail her is really where GKC fell apart, that's sort of been a motif from the early chapters.

contrast to SFP, where incredibly cartoonish over-the-top Lifetime Original abuse is resolved by a dramatic tuck-and-roll escape from a moving vehicle and the psychic mindrape of perpetrator and victim alike

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 2, 2018

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

idk it's a pretty realistic reaction people have to watching a friend of theirs be not-outright-call-the-police-ASAP domestically abusive, it's not the Right Thing To Do but it's an accurate rendering of the most common experience of living with a lovely person, and helped ground the whole magical half-girl-half-fire being raised by a superscientist failed necromancer in techno-Hogwarts thing. I don't think Antimony seeing the adults theoretically in charge fail her is really where GKC fell apart, that's sort of been a motif from the early chapters.

contrast to SFP, where incredibly cartoonish over-the-top Lifetime Original abuse is resolved by a dramatic tuck-and-roll escape from a moving vehicle and the psychic mindrape of perpetrator and victim alike

SFP is more ridiculous and poorly-executed on every level, absolutely.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
e: oh gently caress i can't say it

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

this broken hill posted:

e: oh gently caress i can't say it

i got u fam

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

come the gently caress on....

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Is she faking all of this?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

this broken hill posted:

the mother is my favourite character. she's the true strong female protagonist tbh

Condolences.

this broken hill posted:

"i never felt anything for anyone... until i found out my dumbass son had become the greatest supervillain the world has ever seen! my heart awoke in that moment, and now i know what it is to feel pride, to feel love, to feel lust..."

Prescient.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
the last and worst prophet of the israelites predicts only stupid, wretched things

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
If I was Allison I'd be slowly backing the gently caress away from this flashback.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Too bad the Allison in the comic just seems down with all this. "Mmm interesting I better memorize this for later"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Why does Patrick have such a hangup on the fact that his dad is dead when he's the one that killed him.

Why did he even want his dad dead anyways? Just... there's so much here that makes zero sense when you think about it.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Mother, take this knife and murder father, or I'll murder you!

*five minutes later*

omg father is dead ..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

cant cook creole bream posted:

Is she faking all of this?

That would be pretty clever. It wouldn't make any of the setup good, but in itself that'd be neat.

• Locked thread