Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Nobody would be saying word one about her age if she had a dick. I actively despise Hillary and even I think it's a completely ridiculous complaint, especially considering a lot of the other potential candidates are around the same age and some of them are even older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Mister Bates posted:

Nobody would be saying word one about her age if she had a dick. I actively despise Hillary and even I think it's a completely ridiculous complaint, especially considering a lot of the other potential candidates are around the same age and some of them are even older.

She would be a few years younger than McCain would have been if he were inaugurated, and a year younger than Reagan when he was.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Series DD Funding posted:

She would be a few years younger than McCain would have been if he were inaugurated, and a year younger than Reagan when he was.

A lot of it is looks. McCain looked 80 at 72, because of his injuries from torture in Vietnam. Romney looked 50 despite being 65, because he's never had coffee or alcohol. Hillary is 67 and looks 67. With McCain, I remember age being a pretty defining feature of criticism.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Chamale posted:

A lot of it is looks. McCain looked 80 at 72, because of his injuries from torture in Vietnam. Romney looked 50 despite being 65, because he's never had coffee or alcohol. Hillary is 67 and looks 67. With McCain, I remember age being a pretty defining feature of criticism.

He also did old-person things like make funny faces and move his lips as though he was speaking when he was actually just agitated. Also his makeup made him look like a blood-drained corpse.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Chamale posted:

The age/health criticisms of McCain were there a bit at the start, but really kicked into high gear when he picked Palin as his VP. The Dems got a lot of mileage out of "a heartbeat away from the presidency" after that.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nonsense posted:

He also did old-person things like make funny faces and move his lips as though he was speaking when he was actually just agitated. Also his makeup made him look like a blood-drained corpse.

And Palin was his running mate.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

McCain was a luddite who's second-in-command was a maniac. There were legitimate reasons to question his age, not just 'funny faces'.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Good Citizen posted:

Man Fiorina's whole thing right now is "wow that Clinton lady sucks huh? It's cool I'm a woman so I can say anything I want about her!" She realized if she gets the VP spot she's gunning for she won't be debating Hilary right?

Mister Bates posted:

Once again for fun.

Hillary is 67
Carly is 60
Trump is 68
Jeb is 62
Perry is 65

Hillary is so loving old guys.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Atoramos posted:

McCain was a luddite who's second-in-command was a maniac. There were legitimate reasons to question his age, not just 'funny faces'.

Both mattered because he couldn't hide his beleaguered mind, with a veneer of hollywood-charm, the way Reagan did.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MC Nietzche posted:

There's a fitting analogy here: in the military it's said you can bitch about being a soldier, but you can never say you're going to stop fighting.

I don't think people in this thread would argue that you're not allowed to criticize, or vote for/volunteer for who you want during the primary, just don't actually not vote/vote third party when election day rolls around.

At least if I was in the military, I'd have to concede that I signed up for it.

I'm not saying this thread is entirely like that, just that I've been starting to see that attitude elsewhere. And although I'm not going to bag on someone who votes third party, I'm absolutely angry at people who just don't vote at all.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Pohl posted:

Once again for fun.

Hillary is 67
Carly is 60
Trump is 68
Jeb is 62
Perry is 65

Perry being 65 and Ted Cruz being 44 is something I still can't wrap my head around. I would have thought they were the same age (mid-50s like I've said before). Amazing.

Also, Hillary, being a woman, has a slightly higher life expectancy than a man. Last numbers I saw were 81 for women and 76 for men in the U.S., so a 5 year difference, putting her at about the same effective age as JEB.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

My brain will only let me see Mikael Åkerfeldt from Opeth.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mdemone posted:

My brain will only let me see Mikael Åkerfeldt from Opeth.

Does he look like this?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

"Senator Poon-Hound, reporting for...service."

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Okay, you're going to have to tell me who that is.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Dolash posted:

Barack Obama.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mister Bates posted:

not only that she is statistically more likely to live longer than any other candidate

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I would vote for Jeb if he looked like that on election day.

Pohl posted:

Once again for fun.

Hillary is 67
Carly is 60
Trump is 68
Jeb is 62
Perry is 65

Going factual seems like the wrong way to counter the age thing. I'd use something like calling Cruz etc out of touch for thinking gay people are waging jihad in America.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Dolash posted:

JEB

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I think someone should bring presidential moustaches back. Maybe Jeb can be that person. Hillary could also maybe be that person.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
So how about Hillary endorsing Warren, huh? That sure is a thing. She seems to be angling early to define this election's theme and I'm actually kind of liking the direction she's taking it.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

ReidRansom posted:

I think someone should bring presidential moustaches back. Maybe Jeb can be that person. Hillary could also maybe be that person.

Michael Steele 2016

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Nolanar posted:

Michael Steele 2016

No Bolton though, that thing looks too much like a toenail cutting.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Necc0 posted:

So how about Hillary endorsing Warren, huh? That sure is a thing. She seems to be angling early to define this election's theme and I'm actually kind of liking the direction she's taking it.
It is interesting. In the 1990s, Democratic candidates usually made a point to distance themselves from their base and play up their Serious Centrist credentials. Even in 2000s, Obama built his message on his (claimed) ability to reach across the aisle and bring Americans all over the political spectrum together. Now, even the Seriousest Centrist of them all finds it necessary (or, at least, expedient) to start her run right in the heart of the party's grassroots faction. It probably has more to do with her figuring the only way she could lose the nomination is if a lefty challenger arises and gets traction, but still - it's a shift.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mister Bates posted:

Oh come now mistah Bates, how can you despise the dowager Clinton?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't know if having a few kind words for a Democratic Senator ghost-written for her and a few trace mentions of income inequality in her early campaign material constitute a leftward shift. At best I'd agree that she'll try and avoid giving progressive Democrats points to attack her on during the primary for fear of discouraging left-leaning voters once she has the nomination. The Trans-Pacific Partnership, for example, is very NAFTA-esque but you probably won't see Clinton say a word on it that she doesn't have to in order to avoid drawing fire.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

FMguru posted:

It is interesting. In the 1990s, Democratic candidates usually made a point to distance themselves from their base and play up their Serious Centrist credentials. Even in 2000s, Obama built his message on his (claimed) ability to reach across the aisle and bring Americans all over the political spectrum together. Now, even the Seriousest Centrist of them all finds it necessary (or, at least, expedient) to start her run right in the heart of the party's grassroots faction. It probably has more to do with her figuring the only way she could lose the nomination is if a lefty challenger arises and gets traction, but still - it's a shift.

Yeah, I'm really hoping and praying that we are going to see a left wing campaign by her. poo poo, her announcement had a bunch of gays and women and non white people.
Cross your fingers for the chance that she just runs her campaign that way. We can all wash in the tears of conservatives if she does.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Hillary flying coach feels like the fakest poo poo ever even though she did actually do it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

572 days until the election.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Taibbi's not buying it: Campaign 2016: Hillary Clinton's Fake Populism Is a Hit

quote:

"Hillary Clinton's Wall Street Backers: We Get It," announced Politico, which polled Democrat-leaning Wall Streeters about the anti-wealthy rhetoric and reassured us that none of them took her seriously.

It's "just politics," said one major Democratic donor on Wall Street, explaining that some of her Wall Street supporters doubt she would push hard for closing the carried interest loophole as president, a policy she promoted when she last ran in 2008.

Yes, back to that, the carried interest issue. Promising, and then failing, to repeal the carried interest tax break is fast becoming a Democratic tradition, so much so that I'm beginning to wonder if not fixing this problem is an intentional move, designed to ensure that Democrats always have something to run on in election seasons.

In both the 2008 and 2012 election cycles, Barack Obama either decried the tax "trick" or overtly promised to close the loophole.

Obama's remarks about carried interest pretty much always sound exactly like Hillary's remarks this week. He gave a Rose Garden speech in 2011, in advance of his race against Romney, in which he rejected "the notion that asking a hedge fund manager to pay the same tax rate as a plumber or teacher is class warfare."

But Obama and the Democrats never really did anything about the loophole, even when they had the power to do so. And if you go back, you will find "cooler heads prevail" pieces popped up every time the president mentioned carried interest.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yeah, she's basically running for Obama's third term. People who supported the first two shouldn't really have a problem with that.

She's not going for the same appeal as the Democrats did in the 90s because the party has changed in the last 20 years.

Also, the campaign announced tonight that they've hired former CFTC director, and drafter of Dodd-Frank, Gary Gensler as their CFO.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 17, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Is there a general prediction on the nominee for the GOP. It seems many make Jeb inevitable or Walker.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Is there ever a chance to elect a candidate who actually cares about poverty or is that just a pipe dream?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

Is there ever a chance to elect a candidate who actually cares about poverty or is that just a pipe dream?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Is there a general prediction on the nominee for the GOP. It seems many make Jeb inevitable or Walker.

Here is what 5dimes has up right now

Go forth goons and make some quasi legal money.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jeb has the establishment locked up. Walker has the centrist Republicans who need tea part appeal. Cruz has the crazies and is all-in to win. Paul jumped in too late and is no longer a serious candidate. Christie's lost the ability to win. My take on Rubio is that he'll be the Al Gore of the Republican primaries. Everyone else, they'll have one slim, very very slim, moment to shine, most of whom won't be able to know they had their moment until the time has passed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

There's as many Mitt Romneys this year as Herman Cains, so they might eat at each other's base enough to get a crazy nominated . There's no way in hell it's gonna be Scott Walker though, he makes Mitt Romney seem like a Kennedy (in terms of charisma, not policy, but probably that too).

GreyPowerVan posted:

Ahahahahaha. *bursts into tears*

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Ahahahahaha. *bursts into tears*

:smith: I know, I know. Sometimes I think maybe we all can rise above this petty nonsense, but then I feel the boot of crushing poverty resume its normal place on the back of my neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreyPowerVan posted:

Resurrect LBJ or FDR

Enigma89 posted:

Hillary flying coach feels like the fakest poo poo ever even though she did actually do it.

You were considering voting for Rand Paul, the fakiest fake since the dawn of fake.

• Locked thread