Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

BrownClown posted:

From the sounds of it, Sanji will never be able to develop the physical traits of his brothers because of what his mom did. No crazy power up for him. Which I like.

I'm really digging this arc. Oda's making up for the weak start Sanji had after the timeskip.

Yeah, I really liked this. There was no latent superpowers--it's all him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

BrownClown posted:

From the sounds of it, Sanji will never be able to develop the physical traits of his brothers because of what his mom did. No crazy power up for him. Which I like.

I'm really digging this arc. Oda's making up for the weak start Sanji had after the timeskip.

He's still one of the three strongest Straw Hats and I'm super looking forward to him finally getting some good kicks in on his dad.

Luffy or somebody can punch the brothers, they're not really important.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Shugojin posted:

He's still one of the three strongest Straw Hats and I'm super looking forward to him finally getting some good kicks in on his dad.

Luffy or somebody can punch the brothers, they're not really important.
The main reason he lost in his first fight against his dad was because of dirty tricks and threats, right?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mr. Fowl posted:

Yeah, I really liked this. There was no latent superpowers--it's all him.

When Garp and Rayleigh exist as normal rear end humans and continue to be absolute badasses well into old age you wonder why Judge ever went for weird biotech.

Its kind of like the evolution house in one punch man.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KittenofDoom posted:

The main reason he lost in his first fight against his dad was because of dirty tricks and threats, right?

More like the only reason.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

When Garp and Rayleigh exist as normal rear end humans and continue to be absolute badasses well into old age you wonder why Judge ever went for weird biotech.

Its kind of like the evolution house in one punch man.

they get to skip the whole "training and individual talent" thing that most people need to get to that point. so it's a really easy source of better than average soldiers

presumably, assuming they put in the same kind of effort and had equivalent talent, they'd be better than garp or whoever else too

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Hmm, now I'm a bit confused about what the point of Germa even was. Sanji's brothers got really strong early in life, but did that power gain taper off? I have it understood that Sanji is stronger than his brother but he really didn't do anything special except travel around from island to island. So then what's the point of the Germa program. What gains does it give? Why does Big Mom even want the cloning program? Those soldiers are cannon fodder at this stage in the game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sanji didn't train, no, but he found Something Worth Fighting For and that's the most important power-up you can get in One Piece

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lpzie posted:

Hmm, now I'm a bit confused about what the point of Germa even was. Sanji's brothers got really strong early in life, but did that power gain taper off? I have it understood that Sanji is stronger than his brother but he really didn't do anything special except travel around from island to island. So then what's the point of the Germa program. What gains does it give? Why does Big Mom even want the cloning program? Those soldiers are cannon fodder at this stage in the game.

your power in one piece is basically your ambition plus or minus a potential ability matchup handicap

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BrownClown posted:

No, Sanji will get a big power up in the future.

It'll just be his cooking skills that get enhanced, not his physical strength/abilities like people assume.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Remember a million chapters ago when Oda said that the reason Sanji's leg lit on fire was because of his heart?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Death Bot posted:

Remember a million chapters ago when Oda said that the reason Sanji's leg lit on fire was because of his heart?

His modified heart pumps flammable blood that sweats out of the leg and ignites. Oda you did it again.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
That sweet Sanji/Reiju catharsis, mmm, nyom nom nom.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

anime was right posted:

the best part of this chapter was nami's clothes being burned so she stole some new ones off some random mook and made them look cute.

I was wondering where the new clothes suddenly appeared from, but it's Nami, so of course she stole them.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I love how Sanji's 'flaw' is that he is kind. It's not being a horndog, it's not being evil... he never tries to trick or beguile woman. He's just kind. What an amazing twist. All his heart eyes, all his gushing....he's basically made being a 'nice guy' legit. Because he is the true, actual, real, honest, 'nice guy'... Oda is amazing.

Oda is basically saying, in this arc..this is how to be a Nice Guy...Sanji is a straw hat and a hero.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lpzie posted:

It's not like he was only strong because of the adventuring. Red Leg Zeff trained him for about ten years from childhood, and gave him the foundation to build on as he traveled around and experienced new ideas and situations that demanded he adapt. Need to beat someone who you can't hurt by kicking? gently caress it, light your leg on fire. The flames will hurt no matter how tough his skin is. Need to get away from some transvestites chasing you and speed ain't doing it? Run on air, bet they can't chase you in to the sky.

Zoro is the only character we see training really (bar the 2 year time skip), and we only see him weightlifting or swimming in freezing water to increase his endurance, but it can be assumed Luffy, Sanji and maybe even a few others like Franky train off screen, at least in trying out new techniques or perfecting existing ones.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 13, 2017

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

We see Usopp and Franky building new stuff or taking care of plants/vehicles, and I'm pretty sure we've seen Usopp do sharpshooting practice a few times. (At least when they first got the Merry and had cannons.)

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

key party favors posted:

I love how Sanji's 'flaw' is that he is kind. It's not being a horndog, it's not being evil... he never tries to trick or beguile woman. He's just kind. What an amazing twist. All his heart eyes, all his gushing....he's basically made being a 'nice guy' legit. Because he is the true, actual, real, honest, 'nice guy'... Oda is amazing.

Oda is basically saying, in this arc..this is how to be a Nice Guy...Sanji is a straw hat and a hero.

Not really? I mean, he's definitely nice, but he's also a pervert. Remember what happened on Punk Hazard when he got put into Nami's body? What separates him from his brothers is that he has a sense of morality and an idea of right and wrong. We still don't exactly know why he's so obsessed with women and romance, but some guys are just like that, and it isn't just because they're nice, either.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Hes horny.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Shoren posted:

Not really? I mean, he's definitely nice, but he's also a pervert. Remember what happened on Punk Hazard when he got put into Nami's body? What separates him from his brothers is that he has a sense of morality and an idea of right and wrong. We still don't exactly know why he's so obsessed with women and romance, but some guys are just like that, and it isn't just because they're nice, either.

I don't think he has ever actually groped a woman, to my recollection. I think the body swap thing is a little flimsy though. He is just

Shoren posted:

I think you can also read Sanji as just going over board "too nice" when it comes to women. This arc seems to imply he would settle down given the chance... but if you really think about it, all he does is swoon over every pretty woman he sees... which is kind of innocent in a way. I could be forgetting stuff though.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Time for the next highly divisive one piece theory: sanji is horny.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Work Friend Keven posted:

Time for the next highly divisive one piece theory: sanji is horny.

The world government doesn't want you to like boobs!

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Sanji's mother and sister were the only members of his family who gave a poo poo about him during his early childhood, so that's significantly shaped his views on women. He puts them on a pedestal.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
One Piece Manga Thread 14: Does Sanji belong on /r/niceguys ? Discuss within!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Having just seen the ARMS trailer for the Switch I can't be the only one thinking Luffy (and maybe Franky) would make great DLC. Or just launch characters, whichever.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
It's hereditary. Sanji's brothers get heart eyes at women too. The real question is: does it come from his mother or his father's side?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

tsob posted:

Having just seen the ARMS trailer for the Switch I can't be the only one thinking Luffy (and maybe Franky) would make great DLC. Or just launch characters, whichever.

Dunno how you missed the obvious bellamy

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Does Sanji gently caress???

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

What happens on Okama island, stays on Okama island

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
This cook fucks.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

tap my mountain posted:

Dunno how you missed the obvious bellamy

He doesn't really stretch his arms, he compresses them so that they can spring out for a second in an explosive attack. That aside though, he's a third string character at best, and doesn't have the recognition or draw that Luffy or Franky would. He's too minor to really pull for it.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Does Sanji poop?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
His poops are always curly. Unless some girl told him she was in to scat, then they'd somehow come out heart shaped.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

loving break derail

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Kuros posted:

perfect

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
we still got 20-30 more weeks before a new thread, hold your dang horses

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kuros posted:

Sanji obviously belongs on /r/iceguys.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Just finished Amazon Lily again; Hancock's snake is great. Such a great idea for a portable throne, and the design is super cool. Need to jazz up your pet? Skull and scarf, bam. I also forgot that was where we first heard about Fisher Tiger; Luffy has a lot to live up to to climb a mountain and attack Marijoa.

Anyway, Impel Down next!

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
This is the part where I would usually say I never felt invested in this Pudding stuff and Sanji has felt extremely out of character for basically this entire arc and try and justify questioning Oda but I did that poo poo during Usopp vs Sugar and it came back to bite me in the rear end when it paid off and I felt extremely satisfied with the conclusion so I'll be in the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tsob posted:

Sanji obviously belongs on /r/iceguys.

No that's Kuzan