Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

That is some primo mansplaining.

Tags

quote:

CivilJustUs Tumblr Feminism Feminism Victim Blaming Rape Rape Accusation Social Justice Men Women Anita Sarkeesian Equality True Equality First World Problems Gray Area misogyny misandry get off your high horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Seriously, I go halfway through and just glazed over because of how dumb this was. Literally none of the points are refuted well. I opened a dictionary, and somehow a picture of that post was next to the term mansplaining. Which is wierd, since it was a dictionary from 1978.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

As a man, I don't think I have unreasonable standards pushed on me. There is plenty of media portraying unattractive guys being succesful with the opposite sex, and the amount of magazines aimed at women dedicated to improving their attractiveness that I see at the news stand is frankly staggering.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Love how he just add to throw Sarkesiaan in there, like there it has anything to do with videogames.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
False victims do not occur in significant amounts by any stretch of the imagination, and even if it were it's absolutely no reason to assume that all victims are lying and try and justify their abuse. Treating all potential victims with respect and the assumption that they are telling the truth does not require throwing out the concept of "innocent until proven guilty", either, so that's a complete red herring. So there's absolutely no gray area there.

Also, his "just find yourself a nice guy who'll treat you right" lines were just getting pathetic. But more than that, the problem is that those comics don't only come from significant others, but from strangers as well.

And finally, of course half the entire post was a non-sequitur rant about Sarkesian.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

It was? I did gloss over it at a certain point. I imagine you will understand why.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

DicktheCat posted:

Seriously, I go halfway through and just glazed over because of how dumb this was. Literally none of the points are refuted well. I opened a dictionary, and somehow a picture of that post was next to the term mansplaining. Which is wierd, since it was a dictionary from 1978.

I'm legit impressed that you got halfway through. I gave up after the first block of text. My eyes rolled back so hard I couldn't even skip-scan through it.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Welp, Hail Satan then, I guess.

Thanks old High School classmate.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

God and Satan... just gossiping on the internet, like always

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Arctic Baldwin posted:

God and Satan... just gossiping on the internet, like always

Not like they have any responsibilities or anything to do!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Shouldn't God know why satan is laughing? Isn't he omnipotent? He shouldn't need to ask.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Welp, Hail Satan then, I guess.

Thanks old High School classmate.

Truly the modern-day book of Job.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

As a man, I don't think I have unreasonable standards pushed on me. There is plenty of media portraying unattractive guys being succesful with the opposite sex, and the amount of magazines aimed at women dedicated to improving their attractiveness that I see at the news stand is frankly staggering.

Who What Now posted:

False victims do not occur in significant amounts by any stretch of the imagination, and even if it were it's absolutely no reason to assume that all victims are lying and try and justify their abuse. Treating all potential victims with respect and the assumption that they are telling the truth does not require throwing out the concept of "innocent until proven guilty", either, so that's a complete red herring. So there's absolutely no gray area there.

Also, his "just find yourself a nice guy who'll treat you right" lines were just getting pathetic. But more than that, the problem is that those comics don't only come from significant others, but from strangers as well.

And finally, of course half the entire post was a non-sequitur rant about Sarkesian.

Thanks for helping me feel like I wasn't crazy for thinking that screed was kinda #NotAllMen-ish and dumb.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's really interesting how Dualism seems to be the default view of Christianity despite all of the major branches condemning it.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

oldpainless posted:

Shouldn't God know why satan is laughing? Isn't he omnipotent? He shouldn't need to ask.

He should also already know if you said Amen or not.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I actually read that whole thing. the funniest part, and all these MRA and what about the men types always do this, is bring up that one case from the college rape allegations that ended up being false. One case. Every single time. There's something like 290,000 cases of some form of rape or molestation every year in the US. But yeah, that one time a woman falsely accused a team of jocks for raping her is certainly far worse for real victims than any of the actual assault was.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

HairyManling posted:

I actually read that whole thing. the funniest part, and all these MRA and what about the men types always do this, is bring up that one case from the college rape allegations that ended up being false. One case. Every single time. There's something like 290,000 cases of some form of rape or molestation every year in the US. But yeah, that one time a woman falsely accused a team of jocks for raping her is certainly far worse for real victims than any of the actual assault was.

This line is argument is just as dishonest though buddy. Citing one sensational case over and over again like it's typical is crap but so is saying "1 fake case - 290,000 real cases" like that's literally the only fake case ever is the same level of bad faith argument. You're stooping to their level.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

This line is argument is just as dishonest though buddy. Citing one sensational case over and over again like it's typical is crap but so is saying "1 fake case - 290,000 real cases" like that's literally the only fake case ever is the same level of bad faith argument. You're stooping to their level.

So how many fake cases are there?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't have any clue but I know it has to be more than ONE since 20xx and I'm just saying that pretending otherwise is a bad faith argument. Countering "[thing] happens all the time it's OUT OF CONTROL" with "no [thing] doesn't IT NEVER HAPPENS EVER dummy!!!" is just counter-zealotry.

I want to be clear here I'm not making any statements about rapes or fake rapes or whether or not they are a problem. I'm just saying if people are making lovely arguments for bad things you should at least hold yourself to higher standard when combating them.

Meme Poker Party has a new favorite as of 03:37 on Apr 29, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think I remember reading that only around 5% of reported rapes are false, but without knowing how they got to that figure it isn't helpful. There's a lot of potential factors that mean it really can't clearly boil down to a useful figure.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

No more rapechat, the longer you guys go on the more outrageous the post LoB is about to produce will be

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Edit: eh, nevermind.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

No more rapechat, the longer you guys go on the more outrageous the post LoB is about to produce will be

You have denied us a great payoff!!!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

the more outrageous the post LoB is about to produce will be

i don't understand why this is a problem

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Edit: didn't see the mod post

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Picnic Princess posted:

the only response to that should be "you do those things? I don't."

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

You have denied us a great payoff!!!

Some guys have to pay ladies a great deal of money for that

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Speaking of poo poo-tier people with bad opinions about women, a backhanded comment I made on a "friend's" anti-women post turned into something threadworthy after the rest of this person's friends got wind of it and decided they'd had enough of putting up with their bad opinions. The twist is that the anti-women screed was coming from a woman. This thing is way too long for me to torture everyone with the full length of the Facebook thread. I'll just post the highlights. Common themes include: sweeping generalizations, lack of supporting evidence, reliance on personal anecdote, and a complete lack of punctuation.

Pink is someone I don't know.

Here's where things take off as mutual friends start taking a disliking to this person, who they all apparently put up with until this point. Green and purple are these people. Light blue is me. Use of image macro is a sign that I've realized this is futile.

:xcom: Bonus Content! :xcom:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

That's crazy, I thought Esther Vilar stopped writing.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Saw this on facebook yesterday, quoting rather than posting a screen shot because I'm lazy:

quote:

I've had black people say you shouldn't have that out that way "it makes people think you are a racist" I laugh, or "its offensive to white people" again I laugh and then explain what the significance of the lantern footman really is.

Im really amazed at how a lot of people don't know the real meaning behind these statues, so they vandalize them, bitch about them being racist, etc. When the image of a black 'footman' with a lantern signified the home was a stop on the Underground Railroad. These are largely a northern thing, and weren't commonly found in the South until after WWII when northerners moved there and brought this custom with them. The clothing of the statue was also coded.

A striped jockey's shirt meant that this was a place to swap horses, while a footman in a tailed coat meant overnight lodgings/food, and a blue sailor's waistcoat meant the homeowner could take you to a port and get you on a ship to Canada. I always laugh when I hear black folks talk about how racist these are, because honestly, the cats who had them were likely the LEAST racist.

Later, these came back into popularity after WWII, and they were again coded to show the white homeowners supported early civil rights efforts, weren't Klan, etc.

Lawn jockeys apparently weren't manufactured before 1865, and whatever their original meaning, they're pretty racist now, at least the open-racial-caricature ones. This person is pretty smug for someone so wrong.

ETA: I know it's a whole thing about how lawn jockeys and quilts were used as signals on the Underground Railroad, but that's both untrue and makes no sense. Quilts were generally expensive and time-consuming to make and more than that, they mostly stayed indoors unless they were being aired or drying after being washed. A quilt hanging out in the sun and rain would get stolen, fall apart real fast, and/or attract attention. And to top it all off, once word spread that there were certain signals for the Underground Railroad, you might as well just put out a big sign reading "ESCAPED SLAVES HERE" with a neon light pointing at your house. People hear this stuff, but they don't bother thinking about it for two minutes.

trickybiscuits has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Apr 29, 2016

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Wow the end really takes you by surprise there :aaa:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Immolat1on posted:

Wow the end really takes you by surprise there :aaa:

It's actually from a different, tangentially related thread where this person has gone on a screed about how if we're fat or ugly or the slightest bit imperfect we should hate ourselves because we're lovely people. Or something.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This threat might carry a bit more weight if anyone had actually bothered to reign him at any point since last August

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You know at first I saw the thatsxcom tag and thought it was either a bizarre choice or a mistype but boy howdy did it deliver.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

This threat might carry a bit more weight if anyone had actually bothered to reign him at any point since last August

LoB is self-regulating, shittier derails get longer, nastier screeds.

gaydad
Mar 23, 2015

This guy has been saying pretty questionable stuff ever since Harriet Tubman got on the 20 dollar bill.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

RareAcumen posted:

Primo mansplaining

In addition to all the generally wrong things, his random unprovoked Sarkeesian refutal is also wrong. Hitman Absolution lets you kill as many strippers as you want with no penalty, as long as you use a silent weapon like a garrotte or a gun with a suppressor, and make sure to toss all the bodies in a freezer or dumpster when you've finished with them.

He's wrong on every count, is what I'm saying. And also I'm mad at a 4 year old murder simulator video game.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Spirit STDS. :iiam:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

inspired by quote tag instead of screenshot post:

quote:

North Americans society the only place where people don't agree to discipling your child with a smack upside the head but will give u a thumbs up for feeding your kids gmo processes food that proven to cause cancer and serious health problems later in life

followed up by

quote:

lol I am over it and I had coffee

he's an MMA fighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Plenty of men don't seem to realize that they're absolutely incapable of having a conversation about this subject. They may start with good intentions, and they may even sound calm and rational at the beginning, but it usually doesn't last. Memories of women that have turned the down, their mother's disappointment, that time in the tent with Bobby...it all comes back as they're typing more and more furiously until it's just "BITCH" and "oval office" over and over again like in the Shining.