Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
“the sticks”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

There's Tokyo-ite inaka which is like, Saitama.

Fixed. The nickname is "dasaitama" for a reason.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

totalnewbie posted:

And then there's inaka inaka where there truly is nothing but already-dead towns that hasn't had a new birth since the 20th century.

nah that's just meiji roman

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i quite enjoyed the 3 months i spent in saitama. it was a very relaxing place, to me.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Anything cool happening in Nagoya next week? Spending all week there working and the wife will be with me, then heading up to Tokyo over the weekend for the France/Argentina RWC game in Yokohama on Saturday afternoon.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

baseball????

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

peanut posted:

baseball????

Hmm, we went to a Dragons game last time we were there and could be fun to go again

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Miso? I think they have famous miso??

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
According to the cartoon adaptation of hit comic serial "Yatogame's Observation Diary," which is all about how much Nagoya sucks and you should only ever visit it for the food, there are lots of kinds of miso to eat in Nagoya and also it's boring and you would probably only ever be there if you had to for work.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I bet it's pretty chill

But also miso rules

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
I didn't know there were different types of miso, I thought it was all red :iiam:

Aren't there famous chicken wings too?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
there's a retro video game bar next to the hilton in sakae (it's closest to the Fushimi station on the Higashiyama line) called critical hit

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Phone posted:

there's a retro video game bar next to the hilton in sakae (it's closest to the Fushimi station on the Higashiyama line) called critical hit

I'll be staying very close to this, I'll have to check it out that sounds cool as hell

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

torb main posted:

I didn't know there were different types of miso, I thought it was all red :iiam:

There are many many kinds and they're all good.

In Korea the word for "countryside" in normal usage now means "not Seoul" and I sort of figured inaka was that except not Tokyo. Like Koreans even call Busan, the second city of five million+ people, the countryside.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Grand Fromage posted:

There are many many kinds and they're all good.

In Korea the word for "countryside" in normal usage now means "not Seoul" and I sort of figured inaka was that except not Tokyo. Like Koreans even call Busan, the second city of five million+ people, the countryside.

The japanese corollary to that is that everything outside the shutoken 首都圏 is chihou 地方

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

zmcnulty posted:

Fixed. The nickname is "dasaitama" for a reason.

I thought about Saitama but I don't think people even think about it. I think people kind of think about Utsunomiya only because of the Utsunomiya line.

But regardless.. that movie was great.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

hey omiya is the human trafficking capital of japan iirc

so don't say nothing happens in saitama, i guess

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Turns out the apartment my friends and I had booked for Tokyo got battered real hard by the typhoon and won't be able to support anyone wanting to stay there til next year. That sure was an entertaining panicked morning finding new accommodation!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

e: double

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
We’re staying at an Air BnB in Sugamo starting October 4, for a week. I’m aware October 5 is the last day of a big Chinese holiday, so we were planning to just stay near the Air BnB to avoid tourists that day (Sunday.)

BUT there’s seemingly nothing to do in Sugamo. We’ve more or less got an itinerary for the rest of the week, but I’m at a loss for what to do that Sunday. At this point, I’m willing to brave the tourists. Where would you go in Tokyo on a Sunday in early October? I’m open to just about anything- temples, parks, museums, food, nerdy weeb poo poo. I’d love to see some good cosplayers since I read Sunday is the day for that.

I can provide our rough itinerary if that would help.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 11, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m proposing a trip doing a ring between Hiroshima-Ehime-Fukuoka so I might end up going to Saga :v:

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
So is Saga basically Ohio?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Nanigans posted:

We’re staying at an Air BnB in Sugamo starting October 4, for a week. I’m aware October 5 is the last day of a big Chinese holiday, so we were planning to just stay near the Air BnB to avoid tourists that day (Sunday.)

BUT there’s seemingly nothing to do in Sugamo. We’ve more or less got an itinerary for the rest of the week, but I’m at a loss for what to do that Sunday. At this point, I’m willing to brave the tourists. Where would you go in Tokyo on a Sunday in early October? I’m open to just about anything- temples, parks, museums, food, nerdy weeb poo poo. I’d love to see some good cosplayers since I read Sunday is the day for that.

I can provide our rough itinerary if that would help.

How about Nikko? It's a bit of a trek but maybe that's what you'd want if you're trying to get away from tourists (though obviously, Nikko will still be full of tourists).

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

totalnewbie posted:

How about Nikko? It's a bit of a trek but maybe that's what you'd want if you're trying to get away from tourists (though obviously, Nikko will still be full of tourists).

Sure man, hit me. What’s in Nikko that’s cool?

Should I just Google it? I should just Google it, huh?

Yup: https://youtu.be/PgQjlKi5u48

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

arisu posted:

lol no

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m not going to lie, I probably won’t visit Saga.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I want to visit all the prefectures. 26 to go.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Nanigans posted:

Sure man, hit me. What’s in Nikko that’s cool?

Should I just Google it? I should just Google it, huh?

Yup: https://youtu.be/PgQjlKi5u48

Japan-guide is your friend. https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3800.html

Grand Fromage posted:

I want to visit all the prefectures. 26 to go.

17 here!

Mostly western Honshu, Akita/Aomori/Hokkaido, shikoku, and a few in Kyushu.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

go to aomori

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

arisu posted:

No. Saga is Arkansas, or maybe Wyoming.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nanigans posted:

BUT there’s seemingly nothing to do in Sugamo.

They don’t call it “obaachan Harajuku” for nothing.

Nikko is a good idea, it’s a ways out but not sure if the mainland tour groups have found it yet. But just avoiding the big areas in central Tokyo will be a good idea.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
There was a $1200 mistake fare from portland to tokyo business class in JAL fare during holiday peak season round trip to tokyo ticket today and i almost booked it because JAL honors mistake fares, but with all of thw remodeling I skipped out on it :(

JAL is also my fav business class, and $1200 is basically an economy ticket.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
How crazy busy will Kamakura or Yokohama be on Sunday, October 5?

I understand a) Chinese Holiday (and Yokohama has the biggest Chinatown), and b) it's Sunday, so automatically busy.

Is it so bad that you would really recommend avoiding either of these areas?

What about the Skytree area?

I have an annual pass for Disney World, so crowds aren't new to me, but I'd rather not spend the bulk of my visit waiting in long lines.

I'm getting a little discouraged here. :(

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ntan1 posted:

There was a $1200 mistake fare from portland to tokyo business class in JAL fare during holiday peak season round trip to tokyo ticket today and i almost booked it because JAL honors mistake fares, but with all of thw remodeling I skipped out on it :(

i really wished i knew about this :(

e: looks like it's still up. $1400 PDX to NRT with JAL, dates in November/December and in June.

Phone fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 12, 2019

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I've been watching Chicago-Tokyo JAL flights for Dec/Jan for a few months and it hasn't gone under $1400 for economy. Sitting at about $1700 right now, really hoping it drops again. :ohdear:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i'm p happy that i got $900 LAX-KIX tickets on JAL back in january

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Nanigans posted:

How crazy busy will Kamakura or Yokohama be on Sunday, October 5?

I understand a) Chinese Holiday (and Yokohama has the biggest Chinatown), and b) it's Sunday, so automatically busy.

Is it so bad that you would really recommend avoiding either of these areas?

What about the Skytree area?

I have an annual pass for Disney World, so crowds aren't new to me, but I'd rather not spend the bulk of my visit waiting in long lines.

I'm getting a little discouraged here. :(

don't worry there's almost no chinese people in Yokohama. it's like a disneyland chinatown.

go to ikebukero for the real stuff.

e: wait i reread your post do you think mainland chinese tourists go to Japan to go to a Chinatown?

are you gonna hit up all the TGIFs in Tokyo? don't answer this

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 12, 2019

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

ntan1 posted:

Thanks for this. I grabbed that one. How'd you find out about it?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Magna Kaser posted:

don't worry there's almost no chinese people in Yokohama. it's like a disneyland chinatown.

go to ikebukero for the real stuff.

e: wait i reread your post do you think mainland chinese tourists go to Japan to go to a Chinatown?

are you gonna hit up all the TGIFs in Tokyo? don't answer this

Someone in this thread (I think a few) said Chinese tourists tend to go to Chinese places. There was some discussion about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, there's shitloads of Chinese ppl at the Yokohama Chinatown.