Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I like a lot of the choices they made in isolation, but when I play it, it just sucks. I had a lot more fun with release Civ 5, acknowledging all its many issues. Setting aside the totally broke stuff like the AI, or how 'off' production feels, the 'game feel' is so bad for me. It just boggles my mind that they shipped with bad implementations of edge scrolling and unit cycling, and made it so you can't even turn unit cycling off in the menus. And I only bring those up because they're so obvious, there are so many other small issues. It's disappointing because it's otherwise an ambitious game with cool mechanics, it's just that the whole is way less than the sum of its parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm having a buddy over to play hotseat today. Hopefully that alleviates some of the AI problems.

Can't wait till GMR gets rolling for 6.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rexides posted:

Why do you hate science and/or religion?

e: Just noticed the campus three tiles away. Still, such an amazing space for one.

It was a long time before I could use that tile for anything. :)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Peas and Rice posted:

I'm having a buddy over to play hotseat today. Hopefully that alleviates some of the AI problems.

Can't wait till GMR gets rolling for 6.

Hotseat is really annoying - when it's the AI turn the screen goes all blue so you can't see your units getting attacked.

And you get told "Your swordsman died to a [whatever]!" as player 1 when it was player 2 who just had their swordsman die. And of course you can't be on the same team. In a two player game it's fine but if you want any AI in there it seems silly not to have teams.

There's a lot of tacky brokenness in it.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Ugh. We only have a few hours so I was thinking a 2-player quick duel would be the best option anyway.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Randarkman posted:

It's like they didn't test it at all in a serious capacity. Then again why pay money for QA when you can just ship a product that technically works and have paying customers report bugs and imbalances and then patch it over a year or two.

Were I a betting man I'd wager that the blame is mostly on the publisher side for not wanting to delay such a high-profile release, most issues in the game point to the developer team running out of time and making sure the game shipped in a state that was at least functional probably had to be the first priority even if they were aware of the other stuff.

Even more niche games with a lot of moving parts usually release with many issues, I don't envy anyone who has to develop one on the AAA-level.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

prefect posted:

I wasn't sure this would be possible, but you can build districts on hexes that no unit can reach.

I had a campus with mountains on all six sides on a inner sea map, I think it's Hogwarts

wyoak fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 13, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Gort posted:

Civ 4 hasn't gone away you know. You can just play it.

Civ4 with Hexes would be cool.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Fhqwhgads posted:

I feel like the only ways the AI could win would be through the spamming victories that don't really involve strategy.

Never play on a Pangaea map with religious victory turned on if you don't want to hate yourself.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Peas and Rice posted:

A barb horseman, horse archer, and spearman six tiles from my capital on turn 10.

Sure why the gently caress not.

Make a slinger.txt

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Periodiko posted:

I like a lot of the choices they made in isolation, but when I play it, it just sucks. I had a lot more fun with release Civ 5, acknowledging all its many issues. Setting aside the totally broke stuff like the AI, or how 'off' production feels, the 'game feel' is so bad for me. It just boggles my mind that they shipped with bad implementations of edge scrolling and unit cycling, and made it so you can't even turn unit cycling off in the menus. And I only bring those up because they're so obvious, there are so many other small issues. It's disappointing because it's otherwise an ambitious game with cool mechanics, it's just that the whole is way less than the sum of its parts.

I think Civ 6 is the most fundamentally different of any of the Civs, and so the balance being way off coupled with the different formula makes it feel lacking. I have about 30 hours or so hours and I've not massive pressure to invest in campuses, which is such a massive departure from previous Civs. It feels really strange to me that I'm able to keep about average in tech without ever investing in any science buildings.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Decrepus posted:

Make a slinger.txt

at first i thought that Civ 6 actually got something very right and that warrior, builder, scout, monument and slinger were all viable starting builds depending on your starting situation and goals

boy was i wrong

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Slinger is Kinger

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It's fascinating how this thread went from "this poo poo is awesome" to "this poo poo is broken " in the course of a few weeks

I guess it makes sense though, it's a big complex game, it takes a while to have a really accurate feeling of it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I usually do worker first then slinger. But also keep my warrior close to home.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I read somewhere that if you put a military unit on a source of horses near a barbarian camp, it stops being able to spawn horsemen. Could be worth a shot if you find horses early, just plonk your starting warrior on them while you check the area out.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Elias_Maluco posted:

It's fascinating how this thread went from "this poo poo is awesome" to "this poo poo is broken " in the course of a few weeks

I guess it makes sense though, it's a big complex game, it takes a while to have a really accurate feeling of it

It easily has the makings of the best Civ game to date but it also launched with a number of issues dragging it down, so it's more like both.

Plus there are probably quite a few people like myself who are waiting for patches but also got a solid 50+ hours out of the game already.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 13, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
What if you couldn't build anything but the basic units with hammers? I.e. all military units require purchasing with gold? Production was only for distrcits/buildings/space program. Would make production less valuable, but still very important, and the deciding factor for a domination victory would be your economy.

idk, could be an interesting change.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Is there a guide to how the barbarian AI works? People keep talking about stuff like scouts relaying information back to the camp, which sounds kinda cool, but I don't really understand how it's supposed to work.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I've found the barbarian AI to be better at fighting than the AI civs. They only care about loving you up and generally do it pretty well.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Smol posted:

Is there a guide to how the barbarian AI works? People keep talking about stuff like scouts relaying information back to the camp, which sounds kinda cool, but I don't really understand how it's supposed to work.

Barbarian scouts start at their camp and walk around. They find your borders. They go back to their camp. Some dudes spawn and come and infest your territory.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The new Barbarians get my vote for Civ VI MVP (Most Valuable Programming).

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Gort posted:

Barbarian scouts start at their camp and walk around. They find your borders. They go back to their camp. Some dudes spawn and come and infest your territory.

So if you kill the scouts before they go back to their camp, nobody will invade you? If so, is it on a per camp or global basis?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Gort posted:

Yep. Then barbarian camps generate more dudes on some variable amount of turns. If you kill the scout, it'll be awhile until another is generated, and the process repeats for the first two ages. Not sure after that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Welp, pretty much beat the game on Deity, just some mop-up left to do. I am not really a Deity player.

Sigh, this AI.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I really hate that I can't tell the AI to gently caress off from my borders. They'll start putting units on my border and then leave them there for a while and won't go away. They also get mad when they build a city close to mine and I put troops in my border on the edge because they think I'm preparing for war or something. It's really incredibly annoying.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cowman posted:

I really hate that I can't tell the AI to gently caress off from my borders. They'll start putting units on my border and then leave them there for a while and won't go away. They also get mad when they build a city close to mine and I put troops in my border on the edge because they think I'm preparing for war or something. It's really incredibly annoying.

It also sucks not being able to tell the AI to leave a city-state alone because you're their suzerain. I played a game where I invested a whole bunch of time and resources allying with city states and Germany gobbled up all of them. :(

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

enraged_camel posted:

It also sucks not being able to tell the AI to leave a city-state alone because you're their suzerain. I played a game where I invested a whole bunch of time and resources allying with city states and Germany gobbled up all of them. :(

Yea I really like a lot of the changes they've made but the AI is not one of them. They'll randomly get pissed off at me and even though we're friends they'll declare war for seemingly no reason. The AI is unpredictable but not in a good way.

I really adore the new district and wonder system though. I was unsure about how it would work but it's really a good change for the game.

Edit: What's a good production focused civilization? I've been going with Rome but I'm not sure how the others stack up.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Either the barbarian scout comes from a direction that you can easily shoo it away from its own camp, or it pokes in and out, and runs straight back to its camp and you are completely hosed and will die with your ambitions unfulfilled.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Them attacking one of your buddies does give you a war-weariness free Casus Belli, I think.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Cowman posted:

Yea I really like a lot of the changes they've made but the AI is not one of them. They'll randomly get pissed off at me and even though we're friends they'll declare war for seemingly no reason. The AI is unpredictable but not in a good way.

I really adore the new district and wonder system though. I was unsure about how it would work but it's really a good change for the game.

Edit: What's a good production focused civilization? I've been going with Rome but I'm not sure how the others stack up.

Germany gets a half-price production district with (IMO) easier adjacency bonuses than the normal one. Also, their district limit everywhere is increased by one. I guess the Aztecs would also qualify, using builders to rush districts. Also, depending on your definition of production, you could play as Scythia and use the horse economy.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Is there any adjacency bonus if you have two cities that have each of their industrial zones next to each other? City 1 has it's industrial zone and puts it next to City 2's industrial zone. Is there any benefit to this?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

KakerMix posted:

Is there any adjacency bonus if you have two cities that have each of their industrial zones next to each other? City 1 has it's industrial zone and puts it next to City 2's industrial zone. Is there any benefit to this?
Yes, adjacency for being near another district. But that's it, no extra production for factories, power plants, et al.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

My least favorite thing in Civ VI is having 3 people declare surprise wars on you at the same time, then call you a warmonger for the rest of the game after you jack half their poo poo in retaliation. I mean, not to say "you started it!", but, you started it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

My least favorite thing in Civ VI is having 3 people declare surprise wars on you at the same time, then call you a warmonger for the rest of the game after you jack half their poo poo in retaliation. I mean, not to say "you started it!", but, you started it.

How many requests for peace did you decline while you jacked half their poo poo?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Adjacency bonuses seem like a total waste of a policy slot. Like, is there a case in which getting double output from buildings would be worse than the adjacency boost? Like I guess if you built the districts but didn't build anything in it for 100 turns?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Adjacency bonuses seem like a total waste of a policy slot. Like, is there a case in which getting double output from buildings would be worse than the adjacency boost? Like I guess if you built the districts but didn't build anything in it for 100 turns?

well i mean, you've got more than one policy slot. second best is still useful.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Don't they show up earlier?

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
The Civ VI AI is basically good at two things, which is declaring you a warmonger every time you breathe in, and also zerg rushing you with 20 warriors in the ancient era, then zerg rushing you with 30 warriors in the atomic era.

I did actually have a civ upgrade all the way to infantry though, it was Germany. It was a scary, scary thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
One thing I've found that is frustrating is that coastal cities are at a huge disadvantage. With districts now competing with workable tiles having as many as possible is more important than ever.

There is only one water-based district which is frankly gimped compared to the commercial district. There are no civics or wonders or anything that make working ocean tiles worthwhile and even the resource tiles are pretty weak compared to industrial era hills with only a basic mine.

This is all compounded by having citizens working in districts being weak as hell. Do they not even give great people points like in previous Civs?