Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

leveled lists aside, it's really not a big deal in terms of save stability to add mods mid playthrough. you are not going to end up bricking your save in slow motion unless you're inexplicably installing some ancient mods, I've added like a hundred mods over the course of some of my saves. if you screw something up it will almost always be apparent right away. then you can revert or patch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Just simply don't care if you have to start over and have done so dozens of times, and you can add mods anytime you want.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Start Me Up Redux lets you jump start a new game in various ways, e.g. starting location, gear and character level (nb: starting naked at level 50 or whatever is not as easy as you might imagine)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Are there any particular standouts in weapon types/families to consider when picking what to sink perks into?

/edit: Huh, energy weapons don't have their own category, everything is just a combination of pistol/rifle (grip) and single/auto (receiver). Single rifle it is, considering this is my :effort: game so I'm playing on a controller and plan on using vats for everything :v:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 11, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, I accidentally downloaded the next fen patch and now pretty well every mod in my list is broken and the game won't launch. Guess I either wipe it clean or I waist for everything to get updated.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
You can downgrade the game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Fallout 4 Downgrader

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

ThaumPenguin posted:

Good news, VNV has a sister guide for Fallout 4, called The Midnight Ride. I haven't tried it myself, but it shares the same principles, so it should work fairly well.

Thanks. I just finished VNV and had a fantastic time. So much more enjoyable than I expected and would have thought possible.

I'm going to begin working my way down the guide, unless anyone else has some strong reasons to suggest I start with a different bundle.

Edit: Ah, I'm going to wait a bit since this new patch is coming out and I might as well wait for everything to be all stable again.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 13, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is that FO4 downgrader going to be an issue for mods that actually have updated themselves for the new patch?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah, you generally need the latest pre-Next Gen version of those mods. Those aren't always directly available for download, but it's still possible to get them from the Nexus if you've got a direct link to the right version.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

is that FO4 downgrader going to be an issue for mods that actually have updated themselves for the new patch?

well most mods that updated themselves generally have an older version that is compatible with older f4se versions.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
lol good luck keeping that poo poo sorted for like the next six months

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Set up your mods, set the core fixes not to update, should be fine?

At least with mo2 you can set up different mod instances if you wanna gently caress around later without breaking your stable version.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

Set up your mods, set the core fixes not to update, should be fine?

At least with mo2 you can set up different mod instances if you wanna gently caress around later without breaking your stable version.

Look, that sounds like a whole to-do, modding is not an enthusiast niche thing but free content I'm entitled to, so gently caress this neeeerrrrrd poo poo and point me to the button that makes everything just work.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Splorange posted:

Look, that sounds like a whole to-do, modding is not an enthusiast niche thing but free content I'm entitled to, so gently caress this neeeerrrrrd poo poo and point me to the button that makes everything just work.

https://www.wabbajack.org/gallery?selectedGame=Fallout%204

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Please fix your wabbajack, my tittyanusmilkermod is crashing the game and everyone's T-posed

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Are things fixed yet and are we going to get another update to destroy things by people who never worked on the game originally?

EDIT: Come to think of it, that's not a reason for this stuff to be bad. Modders never worked on the game originally and do a fine job.

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
is there a decent mod or modpack that makes the minutemen interesting? They're kind of wasted in the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

midnight77 posted:

is there a decent mod or modpack that makes the minutemen interesting? They're kind of wasted in the base game.

I've used two:

We are the minutemen (doesn't work with next gen)
Liberty Reborn (which based on the nexus comments you might need to install from the bethesda mod page)