Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zzulu posted:

This

Me3 is good guys. It is a good game

The game is better than most games

Yeah Tuchunka and Grissom Academy and Javik and the Citadel DLC are all fantastic and there's lots of other good stuff in the game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

One of my favorite things in ME2 is taking Legion on Tali's loyalty mission and having the Quarians constantly panicking because someone let a goddamn Geth on the ship.

I think it means one of your crew members get melted by collectors later but it's still worth it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah Tuchunka and Grissom Academy and Javik and the Citadel DLC are all fantastic and there's lots of other good stuff in the game too.

Such as multiplayer horde mode and

(the above by Doctor Spaceman is literally a list of all the good parts of ME3)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm pretty sure you can beat the Collector Base casualty-free and then do Tali's loyalty mission.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mass Effect 3 is a good game. They make some narrative inconsistencies with the characters but at the end of the day it is a Good Game.

Which is why the ending is such a stab in the back, because 99% of the game is good. If the series were mediocre, it wouldn't have mattered.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Tuchanka in ME3 was one of the best big set pieces in the whole of the trilogy. It is even better if you have Wrex. Man I loved every last thing about it!
I love 'Sniping with Garrus'. I loved Liara's time capsule stuff. Citadel was awesome. Tali's homeworld and all the stuff surrounding that was excellent. Javik and all his stuff. The conversations between you, Illusive man and Anderson at the end, especially after the long slow battle towards the beam of light.

Gosh, just Citadel alone is wonderful.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

DancingShade posted:

Such as multiplayer horde mode and

(the above by Doctor Spaceman is literally a list of all the good parts of ME3)

Everything is pretty good except the ending, imo

I liked everything up to and including the somber farewell to that black guy who dies before you go to the starkid

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zzulu posted:

Everything is pretty good except the ending, imo

I liked everything up to and including the somber farewell to that black guy who dies before you go to the starkid

I think a lot of people would have been happy if the game had just rolled to epilogue cutscene after Shepard bleeds out next to Anderson.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
i never played mass effect 3 but ive read so many bad things about it that if i played it now id probably like it. when u go into dragon age 2 new after hearing a ton of bad poo poo it really makes u appreciate the good stuff u find like telling anders hes a fuckinng loser

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

i never played mass effect 3 but ive read so many bad things about it that if i played it now id probably like it. when u go into dragon age 2 new after hearing a ton of bad poo poo it really makes u appreciate the good stuff u find like telling anders hes a fuckinng loser

ME3 is great. .01% of the game (the ending) is bad but don't let that stop you from playing it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yah my theory is that people got so immensely upset about ME3 because it actually was pretty decent and was setting up a huge final stage and franchise farewell and then it kind of just pulls your face to its buttcheeks and slowly farts into your mouth for the last 10 minutes

If the whole game was bad it would just be seen as an overall failure, like DA2 was. But people specifically focused on the ending during the ME3 dramafest because it "ruined" a lot of the fantasy people had about the franchise and didn't work as closure at all

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 22, 2017

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I liked the ME3 ending.

I naturally went with destroy because my shepherd from day one was ruthless and gets the job done at any cost, even if it means losing synthetics. Plus it turns out that my shepherd also survived because I saw them breathing at the very end! I always believed that shepherd was slowly being indoctrinated like Saren and the Illusive man (I also managed to get both of them to suicide thanks to my ridiculous renegade points both times). My shepherd fought against it constantly and saw Control as being a lie - they would have controlled me! And merge felt like imposing a biological change on the members of the galaxy and that wasn't fair.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

I think a lot of people would have been happy if the game had just rolled to epilogue cutscene after Shepard bleeds out next to Anderson.

I'd have been happier if the Normandy just ploughed into Earth and the entire poo poo space CoD ripoff level never took place because it was garbage.

Also Kai Leng. Also the dialogue options sucked. Also starchild. Also flashbacks to thing I don't care about. Also etc etc

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 22, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I never finished ME3 cuz i got annoyed at reapers constantly chasing me when all I wanted to do was scan some planets

But this new game looks cool and I will buy it when it's £20

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hi it's me James Vega, your best friend you've never seen before. Your previous friends? Oh gently caress those guys/gals.

You want to know what happened to them? Well good news, we aren't going to address that at all and you're just going to have to wait until you bump into them maybe.

Except Kelly. Poor traumatised PTSD Kelly who ended up living in a cargo container inside a refugee camp and you left her there like a monster.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

VideoGames posted:

Tuchanka in ME3 was one of the best big set pieces in the whole of the trilogy. It is even better if you have Wrex. Man I loved every last thing about it!
I love 'Sniping with Garrus'. I loved Liara's time capsule stuff. Citadel was awesome. Tali's homeworld and all the stuff surrounding that was excellent. Javik and all his stuff. The conversations between you, Illusive man and Anderson at the end, especially after the long slow battle towards the beam of light.

Gosh, just Citadel alone is wonderful.

I never experienced the Citadel DLC because I beat the game at release and the ending left such a foul taste in my mouth I never touched SP again nor did I want to pay money to fix it

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

I never experienced the Citadel DLC because I beat the game at release and the ending left such a foul taste in my mouth I never touched SP again nor did I want to pay money to fix it

Correct response.

Citadel is best summarised as "why the gently caress isn't the rest of the game like this?". Then you realise "oh they just didn't care".

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if mass effect 3 needed a mcguffin, it should have been blasto rolling in hard at the very end. :colbert:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I liked the ME3 ending also.

The thing is that most of the people who liked it moderately liked it, and not to the extent of wanting to wade into the same loving argument about it with the same loving people 5 years later. The only people who talk about the ME3 ending these days are the people who fervently hate it with the burning fire of a billion suns and get into comment threads still to make clear to everyone they will never buy a Bioware game again.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

I liked the ME3 ending also.

The thing is that most of the people who liked it moderately liked it, and not to the extent of wanting to wade into the same loving argument about it with the same loving people 5 years later. The only people who talk about the ME3 ending these days are the people who fervently hate it with the burning fire of a billion suns and get into comment threads still to make clear to everyone they will never buy a Bioware game again.

Mac Walters is that you

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Nah, there are plenty of things in ME3 before the ending which are really bad. The entire plot of the game is pretty bad, to be honest.

Why are we on earth? Why is earth suddenly so important? Why is shepard such a massive hypocrite, arguing that every species should drop what they're doing at their homeworlds to come save earth? Why am I chasing this redshirt loving kid through a forest? Why do most conversations in this game happen without any input from me?
Why are the reapers so loving stupid? Why do they assault planets with ground troops instead of just bombarding them back to the stone age from half the solar system away?
Why is Kai Leng?

I'm sure I could remember more complaints if I played through the game again, but there's a hell of a lot of bad before the ending.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Mymla posted:

Nah, there are plenty of things in ME3 before the ending which are really bad. The entire plot of the game is pretty bad, to be honest.

Just like ME1 and ME2 then?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I particularly like how Kelly wasn't factored into the Citadel DLC despite being a known refugee camp resident.

You get a kickas apartment on the citadel you barely use apart from one party. Kelly? gently caress her, she can stay living in squalor in the refugee camp making GBS threads into a bucket inside her cargo container while you're having a shower in your space japanese zen garden listening to your apartment wide stereo system.

Nobody talks about her because she literally doesn't matter and also doesn't factor into the final goodbye night.

+5 paragon points

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I never got to the ending of ME3, but one of my biggest disappointments was the squad members. I understand the reason few people from ME1 and 2 returned, since they might be dead.

But damnit I want my space wife Miranda, or my space toad friend Wrex, not these losers Vega and Kaiden.

I'm almost done with replaying ME1, hopefully I'll make it through to the end of ME3 this time. ME1 is still fantastic as well, anyone putting off playing it because of its age should reconsider.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
ME3 is flawed but still worth playing imo.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
lmao kelly chambers was a poo poo character and u dum if you didnt let Cerberus ice her

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MadBimber posted:

lmao kelly chambers was a poo poo character and u dum if you didnt let Cerberus ice her

I needed my drat fish back.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Like I said, there's not really going to be much interest engaging people with giant itemised lists of complaints when your opinion is just 'none of that really bothered me'.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DancingShade posted:

I particularly like how Kelly wasn't factored into the Citadel DLC despite being a known refugee camp resident.

You get a kickas apartment on the citadel you barely use apart from one party. Kelly? gently caress her, she can stay living in squalor in the refugee camp making GBS threads into a bucket inside her cargo container while you're having a shower in your space japanese zen garden listening to your apartment wide stereo system.

Nobody talks about her because she literally doesn't matter and also doesn't factor into the final goodbye night.

+5 paragon points

Internal Affairs should really investigate Anderson because for real, if you think of the Citadel as essentially New York an apartment that size would cost like $20 million

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Ihmemies posted:

I really miss femshep's mega bitch voice. The new one sounds so goddamn generic...

I absolutely hated Hale as femshep. So much so that I couldn't even play as femshep. I'm glad that won't be problem any longer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PureRok posted:

I absolutely hated Hale as femshep. So much so that I couldn't even play as femshep. I'm glad that won't be problem any longer.

Well it took five years and endless 10,000 word treatises about the ending to ME3, but here it is folks. The wrongest opinion on Mass Effect.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Fangz posted:

Like I said, there's not really going to be much interest engaging people with giant itemised lists of complaints when your opinion is just 'none of that really bothered me'.

Like I can get not being bothered by a bunch of minor flaws in the game or even the ending because I wasn't really, but how can you not be bothered by lovely fan fiction character, Kai Leng?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

PureRok posted:

nice troll, but please never say that again about BestShep

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Baron Corbyn posted:

Like I can get not being bothered by a bunch of minor flaws in the game or even the ending because I wasn't really, but how can you not be bothered by lovely fan fiction character, Kai Leng?

He was ME3's comic relief. How can you not think about Kai Leng and laugh at what a joke he was.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Thor-Stryker posted:

I kinda wish Bioware would allow 'ammo' guns to be more powerful than their heatsink counterparts by making it so you can only stock up ammo on your ship or other MilkyWay outposts.

Even something as simple as a limited set of ammo, if you run out, then you pop in the dispersion heatsink and take a DPS loss until you find more regular ammo.

Or apparently everyone will just carry 7.62 no matter where they are in the universe.

Pretty sure that isn't an issue due to the other ships arriving before the human ark and spreading out.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

NO.

Absolutely not. Play ME:A fresh because you definitely do not want to see how badly ME3 hosed up after ME2.

This is the closest to a soft reboot for the franchise as we're going to get. Nothing previously will matter.

i should have said replay

oops!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When does the trial for Andromeda start for people dumb enough to be subbed to EA Access?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In three weeks?

Serf
May 5, 2011

ME3 was a great game that just got steadily better and better until at the very last second it suddenly exploded and not in a good way. The ending wasn't even bad, just very disappointing because it wasn't what I was hoping for as a way to end Shepard's story. The rest of the game is absolutely fantastic though. I'm playing through it again and it is just as fun as the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

He was ME3's comic relief. How can you not think about Kai Leng and laugh at what a joke he was.

Yeah, pretty much. He's just a cheesy midboss?