Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did 2021 suck?
This poll is closed.
Yes 54 28.27%
Very much yes 34 17.80%
Oh gently caress yes 32 16.75%
Are you fuckign kidding me, HELL YES IT SUCKED 71 37.17%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

STR posted:

And smokes are still going apeshit, FD came in and ripped the batteries out of them AND ripped them off the ceiling (so no more AC power). GJ, GJ!

I'm very well insured and I've documented every call. There's visible smoke and the beginnings of flames from the garage under me after they left (the garage I said they should check out),, they told me not to call again, I've called and reported visible smoke and flames. I finally tore down every smoke detector I have (including the single photoelectric that the FD put up) bc they're all going nuts. I, and the cats, are out. They're refusing to come out again, so whatever - there's only one other apt in my building, I got them out.

I magine that... you call the FD over a possible fire, they say "nah mate, your smoke detector is just too cold", tear one down and slap up a battery powered one, which goes nuts as soon as it warms up.

If this was a volunteer dept, I'd understand - but it's a full time city paid dept.

I'm just gonna watch it all burn, since this essentially a duplex on top of 4 garages. Cats are in my car, I got the important poo poo out of my garage (and let my garage neighbor know). I have ~$1M insurance on about everything, including contents, and I've documented anything over >$10 in the apt.

Shame about all the Monet paintings and rare sports cars but I suspect you listed them on your insurance policy so it's not the end of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That goes against everything I know about fire departments and fire fighters here. They’d rather you call 10 times than to risk it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Look expecting a service you have paid for via taxes is communism ok.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

What the actual gently caress?

Like, did they get in the garage and find the source, or is your apartment burning to the ground right now?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Taken care of. Neighbor's chest freezer shorted out.

I have a good bit of smoke damage, that's it. Renter's insurance has me in a hotel already.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

STR posted:

Taken care of. Neighbor's chest freezer shorted out.

I have a good bit of smoke damage, that's it. Renter's insurance has me in a hotel already.

Have you thrown the tv off the balcony yet?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

No balcony at a Studio 6, and the TV is bolted to the wall... :v:

Gonna be a bad day for a claims adjuster though, I suspect most everything except dishes and clothing will be written off. Closet door was closed, as was the bedroom door, so stuff in the closet is fine, furniture in the bedroom may be fine with some cleaning.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

This rental should be happening on Thursday folks, I am pumped. As long as Enterprise doesn’t hand me a completely clapped out 100k mile 2017 something or other, I am expecting fun times. I'll try calling the location before to see if there's any leeway in what I might choose.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 27, 2022

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sushi for Xmas eve was a good idea.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Both of us are feeling like total poo poo, even though we're 600 miles apart.

She just popped hot on a COVID test. I'm testing negative, but feel like a train ran over me. And she's trying to take care of her elderly mom, who just got out of the hospital. Guessing she got it either on the flight or while at the hospital. And her return flight got cancelled (not that I would want her to fly while COVID positive).

Her mom is up to date on boosters, at least.

Someone bring me food :sigh:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok so five days post-op, I’m off the oxys completely and I was able to walk from my bathroom to my living room without the walker after washing my hair for the first time in six days.

Big hip energy.

My leg is still swollen and tight, which is to be expected this early, but I don’t see any redness or hotness near the incision site. I’ll take the dressing off on Thursday and peep the wound itself.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

STR posted:

She just popped hot on a COVID test. I'm testing negative, but feel like a train ran over me. And she's trying to take care of her elderly mom, who just got out of the hospital. Guessing she got it either on the flight or while at the hospital. And her return flight got cancelled (not that I would want her to fly while COVID positive).

Stay safe STR - Covid just loving wrecked me for most of the last week. Finally feeling better - still testing positive (albeit a very faint line) on day...8ish I think? Cold meds did keep me feeling human-ish at least. And lots of chicken noodle soup.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

STR posted:

If Uber eats or doordash is available where you are, it’s been pretty dope. For a $6 or $7 premium on what you might pay picking up, you can have a ton of takeout just dropped right at your doorstep after tapping a button on your phone. At the expense of underpaid delivery drivers! Feel better soon.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Diner I went to this morning was out of gyro meat so I couldn't get the Greek omelet I went there specifically to order. Had to settle for chicken and waffles.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Inner Light posted:

If Uber eats or doordash is available where you are, it’s been pretty dope. For a $6 or $7 premium on what you might pay picking up, you can have a ton of takeout just dropped right at your doorstep after tapping a button on your phone. At the expense of underpaid delivery drivers! Feel better soon.

Better yet, the grocery store has Meal Simple... just pull the wrapping off and throw it in the oven (or in my case at the moment, the toaster oven). And they deliver. Several meals for the cost of one meal from Uber Eats.

Also it's a lot more than a $6-7 premium. Most places have a hefty markup when you order third party (since Uber, Doordash, etc take a roughly 30% cut), then you gotta pay the delivery fee, the service fee, and you need to tip the driver. I mean yeah, the grocery store is charging me $5 for delivery + I need to tip the driver, but I'm getting several day's worth of food in a couple of hours for not much more.

Siochain posted:

Stay safe STR - Covid just loving wrecked me for most of the last week. Finally feeling better - still testing positive (albeit a very faint line) on day...8ish I think? Cold meds did keep me feeling human-ish at least. And lots of chicken noodle soup.

I'm still negative - I think we both just happened to get sick around the same time, she's been out of town since Thursday. Whatever I do have has definitely destroyed both my lungs and stomach though - it's bad enough when you're coughing so hard you puke, but then dealing with nausea and puking more, just ugh.

I mean maybe it is COVID, again. She was the last person I know that had managed to avoid it entirely, but she's been gone long enough that it's very unlikely she got it from me. And I'd think I'd have tested positive by now. I wasn't coughing much when I had it though, and she's not coughing at all.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

STR posted:

Better yet, the grocery store has Meal Simple... just pull the wrapping off and throw it in the oven (or in my case at the moment, the toaster oven). And they deliver. Several meals for the cost of one meal from Uber Eats.

Also it's a lot more than a $6-7 premium. Most places have a hefty markup when you order third party (since Uber, Doordash, etc take a roughly 30% cut), then you gotta pay the delivery fee, the service fee, and you need to tip the driver. I mean yeah, the grocery store is charging me $5 for delivery + I need to tip the driver, but I'm getting several day's worth of food in a couple of hours for not much more.

I'm still negative - I think we both just happened to get sick around the same time, she's been out of town since Thursday. Whatever I do have has definitely destroyed both my lungs and stomach though - it's bad enough when you're coughing so hard you puke, but then dealing with nausea and puking more, just ugh.

I mean maybe it is COVID, again. She was the last person I know that had managed to avoid it entirely, but she's been gone long enough that it's very unlikely she got it from me. And I'd think I'd have tested positive by now. I wasn't coughing much when I had it though, and she's not coughing at all.

Uber will do grocery pickups too. As will a bunch of other services, Amazon Prime if you have a Whole Foods near you, etc

There’s also a whole spectrum of curbside, etc if you’re able to drive

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card gives me free doordash and instacart deliveries (still tip the driver / picker obviously). We did curbside from Ralphs (Kroger) / Vons (Safeway/Albertsons) a fair bit when we lived in LA, was great because they load everything into the car for you. Plus those pickers are union, unlike instacart.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

luminalflux posted:

Oh absolutely, I just got a notification that I got $5.21 for the equifax breach today

Oh, hey, I got mine, too!

STR posted:

Don't spend it all in one place.

I plan to buy several 99-cent burritos with it. Those still exist, right?

Happy belated Holiday of choice to all of you, and I hope the coming new year will be better, of not great.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yes it’s expensive but I just renewed door dash pass for $59 for the year, and they refunded the $10 I had paid for this month (I knew November and December I’d be using a lot). It’s just one of those things yes I may spend a few hundred bucks a year I could have saved but when you are hungover or depressed or both nice to get a poo poo load of food and just watch some car videos

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I’ve got a huge amount of back pain so I can’t lift poo poo right now, or drive either due to meds. We generally try to avoid instacart but for holiday cooking we fell back on it.

You get some very weird things, like, they don’t bag the veggies, just have them loose in the bag. It’s like they’ve never shopped before.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Or you get lazy pickers who mark something as "out of stock" if don't want to schlep it. Like, I get it, work sux and gently caress a job, but I find it highly unlikely the store is out of distilled water and a lot more likely the picker didn't want to handle six gallons of it (was batching my own coolant mix from concentrate)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NoWake posted:

Or you get lazy pickers who mark something as "out of stock" if don't want to schlep it. Like, I get it, work sux and gently caress a job, but I find it highly unlikely the store is out of distilled water and a lot more likely the picker didn't want to handle six gallons of it (was batching my own coolant mix from concentrate)

While I don't doubt your explanation I will say that I had such a difficult time finding distilled water around me in september or so (I tried for a couple weeks - got the same story from every store that they didn't know when it would show up next and it all disappears nearly immediately) that I ended up buying it 7 hours away form home because I happened across it in a Rochester grocery store while I was up there helping my oldest move into a new apartment for school. It was at a wegmans and that is the home of wegmans and their distribution.

I think heavy and/or large low value things are simply not making the trucks when everyone is having problems with hiring (noBoDY WAnTs tO WORk) (i.e. not willing to pay enough) pickers/stockers/drivers.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 27, 2022

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Instacart and Uber Eats deliveries on groceries have been pretty big fails on my two attempts, because the person shopping is the driver (apparently) and you get random stuff that's "kind of like" what you picked, and you don't get refunded the difference when you pay $12 for thick cut pork chops and they bring you $7 thinly sliced pork chops. Or the Instacart guy just rings up a $50 lobster lunch on your tab for himself, as was what happened on my very first patronage of Instacart, lol.

Amazon Fresh is about 99.7% perfect these days - at least in LA - and they refund you for missing items/wrong items immediately instead of fighting with you for 3 hours about whether or not you should have to pay for a $50 lobster lunch you didn't order on their app and didn't get.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Have to say I would have never subscribed, but my AMEX pays for Walmart + and it’s pretty awesome. I get my meat and veg from local owned small store but I stock up on my fizzy water, bottled water, chips and snacks for the kids. Free delivery but even better you can choose shipping and it’s free with no even option for a tip and they bring it the next day I guess from the local stores no minimum charge. I haven’t been in a Walmart in 7 months now. Saves a bunch of money as they are cheaper on lots of stuff

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

NoWake posted:

I actually literally couldn't find any when I was trying to mix coolant for my wife's car a month and a half ago. Ended up buying premixed coolant.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

kastein posted:

I actually literally couldn't find any when I was trying to mix coolant for my wife's car a month and a half ago. Ended up buying premixed coolant.

Bizarre. I went to buy regular drinking water at the Vons near my house in SoCal about the same time, and the stocks of that were super low but they had tons of distilled haha.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Couldn't you just use Bud Light? There's plenty of that around

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Looks like the water from my drinking water RO system easily meets the ASTM recommendations for use in automotive coolant, neat!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Ah, passing through kidneys is a filtration process, rather than distillation.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ether Frenzy posted:

Well given Bud Light is like making love in a canoe - it's loving close to water - it may work?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ether Frenzy posted:

you don't get refunded the difference when you pay $12 for thick cut pork chops and they bring you $7 thinly sliced pork chops. Or the Instacart guy just rings up a $50 lobster lunch on your tab for himself

I'm sorry but, what the gently caress?

wait I don't actually understand how this works. You just say: here's $200 already charged to my credit card and a list of poo poo I want? They get to pocket the difference or just order up to that limit and there's no recourse?

I guess I'm spoiled just using PeaPod or order ahead with Target or whatever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm sorry but, what the gently caress?

wait I don't actually understand how this works. You just say: here's $200 already charged to my credit card and a list of poo poo I want? They get to pocket the difference or just order up to that limit and there's no recourse?

I guess I'm spoiled just using PeaPod or order ahead with Target or whatever.

Yeah, I've used some grocery services and none of this makes sense. I'm glad it's not just me scratching my head at this post.

The ones we normally use have a "no substitutes" thing as well as like.......they will just call and ask. You're not getting stuck with poo poo you didn't want and lolol Lumi at the people not bagging produce. "Inventions" in service come out of the bay area because of how bad the service is there. Uber literally was created because of how bad SF cabs were and still are. It just tracks that their gig workers store produce in the footwell of their car that's too old and filthy to uber passengers. (get out!)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've only used Instacart once (when I was COVID-positive) and the shopper made a point to write a fairly involved thank-you note.

Would've been better if they'd actually brought me one of the items they rang me up for, but support automatically refunded me for it. I don't think I even had to engage a human. But, haven't done it since.

My nearest grocery store has their own pickers in-house for curbside pickup. The annoying thing is they don't seem to start picking until five minutes before you show up, and their app goes to great lengths to hide when they make a substitution, some of which have been :wtf:.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

My biggest issues with any grocery shopping service has been produce. I want to pick my own and I think they pick the worst or whatever happens to be closest.

In any case, the produce is usually garbage. I'm not okay with that.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Yeah when I’ve used Vons or Ralph’s shoppers it’s usually someone who works there, knows the store and when they’ve called me it’s been someone who knows extremely what the gently caress. Like “ok so it looks like you’re making <x>, I think you want this substitution but im just making sure”

Not overworked underpaid gig workers who can’t read cans.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

luminalflux posted:

Not overworked underpaid gig workers who can’t read cans.

And there we go, the root cause. Before we get to the actual root cause that actually created "gig workers".

But again, SF is at the forefront of that. I've been in multiple legit cabs from the stand at SFO that could not get me to things like "the ferry building" without extra instructions or me being handed a GPS to put my destination into.

It's a beautiful place but it's really loving broken.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 28, 2022

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

A part of me wonders if we would never have gone down this neoliberalism hellhole if NYC and SF had less onerous taxi regulation, which would have negated the necessity for Uber/Lyft in the first place. Uber tried to launch in Stockholm, with "You can order on the app! You can pay in the app! You can follow your taxi in real time!" and were met with "yeah you can do that already with the main taxi operators, also your drivers and cars will still need a taxi license to do this"

(It did improve life a lot for my less-white less-male friends though, since taxis were notorious about not picking them up at closing time downtown)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You just click settings no substitutions for any of them not dealing with that crap. You find out fast. I don’t trust meat and veg to shoppers but I have a good small store right down the street

Click no substitutions for sure

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Motronic posted:

My biggest issues with any grocery shopping service has been produce. I want to pick my own and I think they pick the worst or whatever happens to be closest.

In any case, the produce is usually garbage. I'm not okay with that.
As a 2 person household, I always have to grab perishables from the back of the shelf and is not a small reason why I don't think I could ever use the curb pick-up/delivery options.
I'm also very fussy with meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Check out this neato tool I just found in the shop. It measures rpm using vibration to fling its thingy. Never seen one before.