Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've read a bunch of books recently, but most of them were just dumb 40k books to pass the time while traveling so I'll stick to just these two:

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker:
This book was nominated for the Nebula Award, but was beaten by Ancillary Justice. It was pretty solid and I enjoyed it a lot. The two main characters are a masterless golem and a bound jinni, as the title may suggest, in 1900's New York City. The narrative mostly shifts between their perspectives, but there are others that are given some attention too. I felt that some characters served their purposes in the narrative and should have been allowed to fade into the background rather than remaining as points of view. The story largely focuses on the main characters' attempts at finding a place for themselves in an unfamiliar place while having to hide their natures and they provide some good contrasts to each other. The finale is a big ol' convergence which felt a little contrived sometimes due to the involvement of a bunch of the side characters in positions where random bystanders would have worked just as well. Since I mentioned Ancillary Justice earlier, I'll just say that I enjoyed this book more. Now, it's not a space opera so they're not really comparable, but I felt it had a better narrative and characters.

The Girl Who Would be King by Kelly Thompson:
I read this on a recommendation from a sister and I really didn't know what I was in for until I started reading it. It's about two 18 year-old girls who have superpowers, one good and one bad. The book was alright, but it felt like I was reading a comic. The author even dedicated the book to Joss Whedon "who makes all the best things" so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. Parallel first-person narratives are used to tell the story and they work well enough. The epilogue really soured me on the whole thing though. It was a two-page cop-out I saw coming, but it was still disappointing and the book would have been better with it left out. Then I found out the book was funded through Kickstarter with a list of the backers at the end. I'm pretty sure my sister just got me to read young adult fiction.
:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
The Wings of the Dove by Henry James. gently caress. Probably my new favorite book, considering how quickly I fell into it and what it's left me with (granted "what it's left me with" is mostly admiration of his and his characters' intellectual hypersensitivity. Though also a hatred of everyone who perpetuates the myth of his difficulty, or, more depressing, honestly has that much trouble getting through his books; his sentences are packed with information, but entirely lucid, always preceded by the information necessary to make sense of them, or quickly enough elaborated on in dialogue--to the point where I even wonder if more intelligent readers than me don't occasionally read explanatory information that they didn't need--oh, and beautiful, in ways that would be hard to achieve without such a particular syntax). I can't recommend James (or at least his late masterpieces) enough to any serious reader.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Cadillac Desert Mark Resiner

This is a classic I have been meaning to read since college. It didn't create the anti-dam / wild rivers movement, but it was written around the time those movements took off. Reisner traces the history of water policy in the American West, giving particular attention to the Bureau of Reclamation and city of Los Angeles. In sum, the West's water is overdrawn because the Bureau had a fetish for building dams and Los Angeles got rich enough to distort water policy in its favor. The book is so ewhat short on policy prescriptions, but is an excellent 'how we got here' piece. That said, the policy prescriptions follow more or less directly from the book's central theses: tear down some dams, stop overdrawing fossil water, and achieve both by pricing water in a way that forces people to develop and farm in a manner appropriate to an arid or semi-arid climate.

This is probably not a good read if you're looking for a current state of the science of water policy. However, recent researchers have validated much of what Reisner wrote (with the exception of the rate of siltation behind dams), and the story of the last 30 years is largely informed and driven by the preceding 100.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I have been reading a lot this past week!

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood is just excellent. I kept kicking myself for not having picked it (or anything by her) up earlier. It's a wonderful book, an evisceration of fundamentalism and an exploration of modern gender politics. I now have a copy of Oryx & Crake on my bookshelf and look forward to (eventually) sinking back into her literature.

Those books are sitting unread on my bookshelf as well. I added Handmaid's Tale when I was gathering post-apocalyptic lit, and always meant to read it. I grabbed Oryx based on recommendations.

Nice to see the positive feedback, and am glad as you reminded me of these.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Panorama City by Antoine Wilson. It's a book I picked up for free at a reading event. I really liked his reading, but the book got lost on my shelf for a long time and I just picked it up again. It's a great book, and a pretty quick read.

It's from the point of view of Oppen Porter, a simple-minded guy from the Central Valley who's taken in by his aunt in the San Fernando Valley after his dad died. The conceit of the story is that he's recording his experiences and the things he learned in Panorama City for his unborn son while he's on his deathbed (he's not actually on his deathbed, but he insists on believing that he is).

It's basically a slice of life from the perspective of someone with a really unique point of view. It's not heavy literature, but it's incredibly charming and Wilson has some nice turns of phrase. His writing really conjured up vivid images (Oppen's best friend Paul Renfro, a con-man/self-described "thinker" is described as having the smile of a "newly hatched alligator").

It's great for anyone who's ever lived in the Valley or any other depressing suburbia because it is a picture of all the worst, most depressing things about such a place from the eyes of someone for whom it's all new and part of a big adventure to become a "man of the world." It's funny and optimistic, so it was kind of a breath of fresh air for me.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer
If you like The Handmaids Tale you might also like the more modern When She Woke.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Finished up Clovenhoof by Heide Goody and Iain Grant.

It's basically a story where the devil ends up getting fired and is forced to move to earth and live as a human.

Sounded interesting, and took a shot on it. Turned out to be fairly decent, but it could have used an editor though. The book was LONG. It honestly could have been 2 shorter novels without much difficulty.

Still, it was an interesting enough that I kept on plugging through.

Kinda weird how in most of these "devil gets fired and gets stuck on earth" novels, he always ends up in england somewhere.

Solid 3 out of 5. Not fantastically amazing, but pretty good.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

The Wind City by Summer Wigmore

Urban fantasy infused with Maori mythology. Lots of influence from American Gods, so I've heard. The characters were my favorite part, though I think some of them could have been developed further, at least prior to the climax. That aside, the prose is...Whedonesque, for lack of a better word, which can be irritating in large doses. Good ending, though.

Sag Harbor by Colson Whitehead

The book is a coming-of-age story set in the Hamptons, specifically during the mid-eighties. Hip-hop's entering its golden age, Coca-Cola's bringing out New Coke, people still carried around radios, and so on. Whitehead is fantastic at setting the scene--he really brings you back to the eighties. The story itself is unremarkable and lacks direction beyond some vague sense of growing up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

liddl ninja posted:

How to teach quantum physics to your dog by Chad Orzel.

- Quick read with humorous approach of explaining basic Quantum Physics.

I used to know Chad Orzel back in the days of Usenet, I didn't know he'd written a book. I'll have to hunt it out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jedit posted:

I used to know Chad Orzel back in the days of Usenet, I didn't know he'd written a book. I'll have to hunt it out.

He wrote two books (how to teach physics to your dog is the first one, relativity/quantum physics is the sequel) and blogs regularly here (links to the books are on the right side):
http://scienceblogs.com/principles/

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Just finished A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce. I enjoyed it, I remeber somebody posting that the first couple of chapters are difficult to read because of the writing style and I agree I struggled, but it was well worth the effort.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013
Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon

This is the newest (eighth) book in her Outlander series and it is excellent. This is perhaps the shortest book in the series at only 849 pages but that's still plenty of room to sprawl and it does meander quite a bit at times. This is a historical fiction/romance novel and you definitely need to have read the entire series before this one. This is not a series that you can pick up in the middle.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
I've had a lot of downtime this past week and read The Sun Also Rises and The Great Gatsby for the first time. I found the parallels to be fairly interesting, particularly the cynical disillusionment, the assertion that wealth is a corrupting influence, and that both stories are narrated by hapless Jakes Barnes, impotent and madly in love with Brett; Nick Carraway, homosexual and likely in love with Gatsby working-men. Although in Carraway's case, the work he does is largely superfluous as he himself admits towards the end, when he admits that he, like the Buchananns and Baker, is content; thus distinguishing Gatsby above all other characters by virtue of discontent and desire to improve himself.

Overall, I preferred Hemingway's terse, evocative writing style (and resolution) to Fitzgerald's largely expository and, at times, seemingly pretentious; "somnambulatory" and "meretriciousness" being particularly bad offenders. I realize that last contention makes me come across as a bit of a philistine, and perhaps my response to the style came from just having finished The Sun Also Rises, a book almost completely devoid of adjectives.

I liked both books a whole lot and will certainly read them again.

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 3, 2014

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
So I just finished Liminal States today, and I had enough thoughts to write up a wanky GoodReads review:

I didn't know quite what to expect going into this book. I've been a fan of Parsons' work on Something Awful for years, and while his comedy articles are great fun, I've always loved his short horror/sci-fi fiction. He's great at playing with tone and format and narrative voice to produce a sense of unease and confusion, particularly in his Instructions For A Thing series (and another involving alien beings called "unravellers" that I can't seem to find).

So when I opened the book and was greeted with a slow-burn, harsh and gritty Western drama of hatred and revenge, I was surprised. But not unpleasantly so - Parsons weaves a slow burn of a narrative, offering bits and pieces of the unnatural that pile up as the story progresses. The core plot hook is this: an outlaw named Gideon Long finds a way to cheat death, and decides to share this "gift".

Set in three different times - 1874, then an alternate 1951 and 2006 - Parsons tracks the effect of the anomaly from its first discovery through its exponential growth into something bizarre and horribly out-of-control. Each of these times - itself a "book" within the novel - is written in a different style, too: the Old West is written as a dark and troubled story of a lawman and an outlaw; the '51 narrative is a hard-bitten gumshoe with war drama thrown in for good measure. Come the "present", the style is more urgent, and zips along like a techno-thriller.

It's in the final chapters of the book that I felt the most familiarity - the visceral prose, the uncanny, queasy confrontation with the unknown. But honestly, that's where I found myself faltering. A few too many awkward turns of phrase or too-fast action had me going back over short passages. I'm not sure how much of this is down to editing, deliberate style choice, or merely the author's own momentum picking up towards the ending (a very satisfying, if bleak one). It was just kind of distracting. Of the three narratives, I found myself most gripped by the 50s noire aesthetic.

Overall though, minor gripes aside I really enjoyed this book. It's ambitious, sprawling, and immersive, and some of the passages are genuinely gripping. I'm aware of some short stories he's been writing recently, so clearly there's more good stuff on the way!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I finished The Secret History by Donna Tartt tonight. Unfortunately it was one vote shy of the book of the month, but at least I can post about it here. I picked it up after hearing about it often on this board and r/books. That was the fastest I've ever finished a 550 page book (aside from the final Harry Potter). It was very exciting and as a double major in Rhetoric and Philosophy, a little inspiring (in scenes not to do with murder plot, of course. Not a spoiler).

I didn't like The Goldfinch but have heard good things about her second book, The Little Friend, but I'm not sure when/if I'll ever get around to it. Secret History reminded me how poorly read I am in some of the classics of literature.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Ehh, I found The Little Friend really disappointing. I loved The Secret History and The Goldfinch, but The Little Friend is boring in comparison. It's alright as a family history kind of story, but don't go into it thinking it's a Southern Gothic mystery because it falls short of that. It's much too long considering how short the actual plot is.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

elbow posted:

Ehh, I found The Little Friend really disappointing. I loved The Secret History and The Goldfinch, but The Little Friend is boring in comparison. It's alright as a family history kind of story, but don't go into it thinking it's a Southern Gothic mystery because it falls short of that. It's much too long considering how short the actual plot is.

I agree. The Little Friend had the most disappointing ending ever. All that build up for nothing.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
Wolf Hall & Bringing up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel

I read these books when they first came out and i really liked them but after finally convincing my GIRLFRIEND to read them decided to pick them up again and holy hell do i love these books! the british monarchy has been done to death, particularily henry viii. Ussually i can't stand the sort of english navel gazing the topic seems to inspire but she doesn't ever fall into that trap. Even if she did i don't think i'd care much because the books are just so goddamn funny; can't even remember the last time i did so much laughing while reading a book. It's not even really laugh out loud funny so much as there are just so many great exchanges between the characters. Being raised catholic i particularily relished every meeting of Cromwell & More's.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

The End is Nigh, edited by John Joseph Adams and Hugh Howley.

Honestly, I have to admit that I didn't have terribly high expectations going into this short story compilation, but in the end I found it to be a very satisfying read. While each of the 22 stories deals with the impending apocalypse in its varied forms (nuclear holocaust, asteroids, cosmic events, zombies, viruses, climate change, etc.), the best ones deal with the person-to-person drama of end of the world. My favorite stories had to do with simple frustrations that end up leading to larger events: a frustrated astronomist who, wanting to make a name for herself, unexpectedly discovers a brown dwarf that is careening towards the solar system and will rip Earth out of orbit; an OCD lab tech who encounters a fast-spreading bio-engineered fungus that makes WTFtit.jpg look like a kindergarten drawing; a jaded huckster who, after years of predicting the apocalypse and scamming people of their savings, unknowingly correctly predicts it. Sure, there are a few clunkers, but the overall collection is excellent.

There are a few stories in there, however, which seem to point at the real reason why the world is ending: GAY MARRIAGE LOL.

IT BURNS fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 5, 2014

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Just finished The Six Gun Tarot by R. S. Belcher. It's a "weird west" novel set in the town of Golgotha, Nevada in 1869. It features an odd cast of characters who attempt to avert the apocalypse. Not exactly super-original, but a fun enough read that I plan to pick up the sequel, The Shotgun Arcana when it hits shelves in early October.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Mary Renault's Alexander the Great trilogy: Fire from Heaven, The Persian Boy, and Funeral Games. As someone already thoroughly familiar (almost tired) of the historical period, Renault really brings the characters to life with moving depictions and truly poetic writing. For anyone familiar with the struggle of the Diadochi, Alexander's successors, it was essentially as close to Game of Thrones as real life has ever gotten (although Martin was obviously influenced by the War of the Roses) and that's what the final book Funeral Games depicts.
Death, death, agonizing death for every character, and you really can't help feel sorry for most of them, even as one chapter you read of the death of Eurydice ordered by Olympias and are moved and then equally moved when you see the death of Olympias herself. I just added spoilers despite this being historical fiction, in case people unfamiliar with the historical saga want to read the books. It was less than a week's reading, they're really very smoothly written, entertaining, and easy to devour.
Just before that I'd finished Poul Anderson's The High Crusade, which I'd decided to read on a whim after I'd heard Poul's name mentioned alongside Philip K. Dick and Arthur C. Clarke and the like...I'm not sure it impressed me enough to read any of Poul Anderson's other books (I've got more PKD and Stanislaw Lem to read later anyway) but I thought it was a very entertaining amusing yarn about English crusader knights battling poorly led space aliens. :v:

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Poul Anderson was a bit like Michael Moorcock. He could be an excellent writer when he tried, but for whatever reason he chose to sacrifice quality and be a prolific one instead. You should definitely read The Broken Sword which is the best sword and sorcery novel ever written.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

High Warlord Zog posted:

Poul Anderson was a bit like Michael Moorcock. He could be an excellent writer when he tried, but for whatever reason he chose to sacrifice quality and be a prolific one instead. You should definitely read The Broken Sword which is the best sword and sorcery novel ever written.

Heh, I'll take a look at it :P

Poul Anderson always seems like the forgotten younger brother of writers like Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard, or even Fritz Leiber. He was solidly pre-Tolkien so deserving of, if nothing else, credit for building the genre and inventing tropes, but somehow never quite eye-catching enough to get the fancy reprint editions and modern fanbase.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008
Finished a couple books on vacation reading:

The Sherlockian by Graham Moore. Not a bad read. I liked how they wove two stories into it - one in Arthur Conan Doyle's time and one in modern day - both with Sherlock-esque mysteries. Nothing spectacular, but it was fun.

Storm Front by Jim Butcher. My first Dresden novel. I blew through this one really fast. Very simply written and easy to read, but a very fun book. I enjoyed the gritty, sarcastic edge to it and Harry Dresden is a fun character. I quite liked how the magic was done, too, using principles of thermodynamics. That was one aspect of Patrick Rothfuss' writing I really enjoyed, so I was glad to see it in Butcher's writing as well. Would read more of this series for sure.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Ayem posted:

Storm Front by Jim Butcher. My first Dresden novel. I blew through this one really fast. Very simply written and easy to read, but a very fun book. I enjoyed the gritty, sarcastic edge to it and Harry Dresden is a fun character. I quite liked how the magic was done, too, using principles of thermodynamics. That was one aspect of Patrick Rothfuss' writing I really enjoyed, so I was glad to see it in Butcher's writing as well. Would read more of this series for sure.

I've listened to ~6 or 7 dresden files audiobooks (I have a long work commute), and I agree that the books are fun. The only thing I cannot stand is the chivalry-as-an-excuse-for-stupidity mechanic Butcher uses for Harry Dresden to manufacture drama/action.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Creativity Inc by Ed Catmull. The book is half insider history of Pixar, half thoughts on how to run a creativity and innovation reliant company without loving it up. Both halves are good.

Gerbil_Pen posted:

I've listened to ~6 or 7 dresden files audiobooks (I have a long work commute), and I agree that the books are fun. The only thing I cannot stand is the chivalry-as-an-excuse-for-stupidity mechanic Butcher uses for Harry Dresden to manufacture drama/action.

I got the impression that this started out as Jim's own personality naturally leaking in, but as he matured a bit, was turned into Harry's character flaw.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 7, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Harry eventually starts to grow out of this (although it never totally goes away as it's kind of a core aspect of his goonishness) but other characters (especially Murphy) routinely call him out on it and that makes it easier to take IMO.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

WarLocke posted:

Harry eventually starts to grow out of this (although it never totally goes away as it's kind of a core aspect of his goonishness) but other characters (especially Murphy) routinely call him out on it and that makes it easier to take IMO.

True, they call him out on it, but then they blindly follow him into the fray anyway.

I might really enjoy writing a Dresden Files novel, or even just re-writing the ending to one of them... haha.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Blew through the three Brimstone Angels books by Erin Evans that are out right now: Brimstone Angels, Lesser Evils, and The Adversary. I know fuckall about what's going on in the Forgotten Realms right now (I read a few of those lovely Drizzt books a while back), although I know that they're shifting between D&D editions right now, but I really enjoyed it. Evans combines both trite Forgotten Realms tropes and YA fantasy tropes and plays off each of them to create a series that is much stronger than its parts. Main character Farideh is a broody and contemplative but Chaotic Good member of a feared and thus discriminated against minority (tiefling warlock) who makes a lifechanging mistake and must deal with the consequences. She's entangled (kind of romantically) with a (seriously dangerous) "bad boy" in a fairly uneven, abusive relationship (and acts to level the playing field) but still remains levelheaded.

The real strength of the series are the characters. The primary relationship (thank god) isn't a romance but rather Farideh's relationship with her twin sister (girly girl badass with a polearm) Havilar, and then with their adoptive dragonborn father, Mehen. Then throw in a not tremendously powerful Holy Champion fleeing his noble family, an itinerant Moon priest-cum-secret agent with a bloody past, a resentful, fallen paladin of the God of Knowledge, and scheming devils and half devils. It's a hell of a lot better than "Stoic ranger stoics stoically" or "Overpowered mage sleeps with anything female and marginally attractive", at least.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

In the past couple of weeks I read Blindsight by Peter Watts and The Martian by Andy Weir. Since they seem to get mentioned every page or two I won't say much other than that I liked them both for very different reasons. They also work pretty well as a double feature, in that order: bleak, nihilistic mindfuckery followed by (psychologically) light adventures in engineering.

rohoku
Jul 9, 2014

Recently finished City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare. Yes, I realize this book series is meant for teenage girls, but it was an incredibly well written series. The author made me care about the characters and their relationships, something that I value greatly in a book.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Finished two great and very different books recently:

Unspeakable Things by Laurie Penny is a great diagnosis of the current state of British (and by extension American) society: everything from feminism to capitalism, from the Internet to psychiatry. She's got a great and engaging style, and I like the way she ties her own personal experiences into the broader scope of her worldview (namely, that neoliberal capitalism and the patriarchal system it upholds are Very Very Bad for pretty much everyone, especially women). She's also very funny, which means that you don't come away from it completely miserable, just righteously angry. Absolutely recommend it.

Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson, the last book in the excellent cyberpunk Sprawl trilogy (after Neuromancer and Count Zero; I haven't got round to reading Burning Chrome yet). It's a lot better than CZ (where the military contractor guy's plot thread had me wanting to skip chapters) and even though it starts out with a whole host of characters and locations, everything comes together in a very satisfying way at the end.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

rohoku posted:

Recently finished City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare. Yes, I realize this book series is meant for teenage girls, but it was an incredibly well written series. The author made me care about the characters and their relationships, something that I value greatly in a book.

I know this is terribly elitist, but I can't bring myself to read these books because all I can think about is that the author became famous by plagiarizing lines from Buffy and adding them into fanfics of Draco loving Harry Potter in the butt.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Poutling posted:

I know this is terribly elitist, but I can't bring myself to read these books because all I can think about is that the author became famous by plagiarizing lines from Buffy and adding them into fanfics of Draco loving Harry Potter in the butt.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Don't feel bad man, I can't read Seanan McGuire's stuff because of her losing her poo poo online about some comedian who might call her fat at an awards show. It was just, gently caress it was stupid.

Sometimes it's hard to separate the artist from the art, and considering how many good books are already out there, why waste the time/effort to try and get over something that irritates you when you can just grab a new book to read from a different author?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I just read Moby Dick for the first time. It's really loving good. I can really relate to it, whaling was kind of the fracking of its day.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Frackie Robinson posted:

I just read Moby Dick for the first time. It's really loving good. I can really relate to it, whaling was kind of the fracking of its day.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Who that?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Please, please don't ever post that in any thread that I frequent ever again.

Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

It was not so much her uncommon bulk that so much distinguished her from other sperm whales, but, as was elsewhere thrown out— a peculiar snow-white wrinkled forehead, and a high, pyramidical white hump. These were her prominent features; the tokens whereby, even in the limitless, uncharted seas, she revealed her identity, at a long distance, to those who knew her.

The rest of her body was so streaked, and spotted, and marbled with the same shrouded hue, that, in the end, she had gained her distinctive appellation of the White Whale; a name, indeed, literally justified by her vivid aspect, when seen gliding at high noon through a dark blue sea, leaving a milky-way wake of creamy foam, all spangled with golden gleamings.