Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Schweinhund posted:

I'd ignore the MYSQL/database suggestions, unless you plan on having tens of thousands of notes it's not necessary. You can probably have the program just write everything to text files and it would be a lot easier to learn. And that way everything can be done with PHP alone.

So PHP alone would be enough to do my email nonsense? I'm not planning on having tens of thousands, but there will be a sizable amount of stuff. Around 10-20 a day, 6 days a week. So figure a couple hundred entries a month spread out over about a hundred students. I don't mind lugging around millions of text files I guess, but I would like some way to have them all organized and easily accessible which is why I thought the internet would be a great storage medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Why not just put them on Google Docs and make it the students' responsibility to get them?

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

tarepanda posted:

Why not just put them on Google Docs and make it the students' responsibility to get them?

Unfortunately most of my students have limited English, are older, and have no understanding of how to use such complicated things as Google Docs. I've tried, and they just can't get their heads around it. I've been doing this email thing for about a year and have it down to a science, but it still takes me a good 10-15 minutes to mail everything out. That's if I bothered to get everything all set up the night before.

If I can't easily write some sort of thing to help me with my house keeping I may just end up using Google Docs again, but it tends to confuse the students and scare them away from the class.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

USMC_Karl posted:

So PHP alone would be enough to do my email nonsense? I'm not planning on having tens of thousands, but there will be a sizable amount of stuff. Around 10-20 a day, 6 days a week. So figure a couple hundred entries a month spread out over about a hundred students. I don't mind lugging around millions of text files I guess, but I would like some way to have them all organized and easily accessible which is why I thought the internet would be a great storage medium.
yes. you could have the program write a new folder each day with the date as the name of the folder, and write the notes in the folder with each student's name as the name of the file.

You can use a multidimensional array to store everyone's name & email: http://www.webcheatsheet.com/PHP/multidimensional_arrays.php
And use that to get the notes for the current day and send it to the corresponding email.

Everything can be stored on the internet, you wouldn't have to carry anything around.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Talibananas posted:

I think you misinterpreted the language on the page you linked to. Just having over an ounce of gold isn't enough to become a CPV account. The account also must "contain value that is traceable to criminal activity."

Yeah, I realized that after rereading it a couple more times. It says "Such accounts with more than 1 oz..." instead of "All accounts with more than 1 oz..." Thanks for confirming that, though.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

USMC_Karl posted:

I would just e-mail the file when you are done with it. I know it seems like a lot of work but to automate this will be several hundred to thousands of hours of work on your part. Especially if this is your first program.

I would also look into Google Docs. You can make a private document for each student and invite them to view it. I think you can even have Google Docs automatically send an e-mail when the file is updated.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Why do businesses sometimes have a box truck painted up with their logo/info that they never drive, stays parked in the lot as a sign?

Is it cheaper than having a sign built? Would they have to pay extra rent to property mgmt to have a real sign and somehow a truck that never moves is a loophole since it's in an actual parking spot? Can be sold at only a small loss when the business fails where a sign can't be sold for anything? What?

My favorite is a super lovely ex-uhaul painted up for an AT&T 3rd party store by my walmart. I park next to it for shade. It's never moved and I really can't see a cell phone store needing to drive that, it's not like there's a cell-phone warehouse they have to pick poo poo up at, UPS brings it I'd be sure.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 9, 2011

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Wagonburner posted:

Why do businesses sometimes have a box truck painted up with their logo/info that they never drive, stays parked in the lot as a sign?

Is it cheaper than having a sign built? Would they have to pay extra rent to property mgmt to have a real sign and somehow a truck that never moves is a loophole since it's in an actual parking spot?

My favorite is a super lovely ex-uhaul painted up for an AT&T 3rd party store by my walmart. I park next to it for shade. It's never moved and I really can't see a cell phone store needing to drive that, it's not like there's a cell-phone warehouse they have to pick poo poo up at, UPS brings it I'd be sure.

Getting all the permits and stuff to put a sign up that big would be a big expensive hassle, plus you have the option of relocating it fairly easily. Hell, there's someone in my town that actually rents ad space on a box truck they have parked in their lot on a busy street. There are a lot of restrictions on where you you can build a billboard, how far it must be from certain structures, how tall it can be, etc., so you can just put it on a truck you have parked on your property and bypass all of that stuff.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

DELETED posted:

Getting all the permits and stuff to put a sign up that big would be a big expensive hassle, plus you have the option of relocating it fairly easily. Hell, there's someone in my town that actually rents ad space on a box truck they have parked in their lot on a busy street. There are a lot of restrictions on where you you can build a billboard, how far it must be from certain structures, how tall it can be, etc., so you can just put it on a truck you have parked on your property and bypass all of that stuff.

huh, I didn't even think of .gov BS being involved, making more sense now.

There are isuzu NPR flatbeds around here that have giant signs standing up in the bed with proabably rented space that actually drive around town advertising on the streets. It's always strip clubs being advertised with those.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 9, 2011

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Wagonburner posted:

huh, I didn't even think of .gov BS being involved, making more sense now.

Its most likely restricted by the owner of the building/land/another store. Google Recipricol (sometimes Restrictive) Easement Agreements for more. The lessor can prevent the lesee from doing certain things such as putting up a big sign that blocks the view of other buildings or something. Sometimes big retailers (Target, for example) will have a REA that prevents other retailers from doing stuff like putting up a sign that blocks theirs or (inside a mall) putting a kiosk too close to their storefront.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Its most likely restricted by the owner of the building/land/another store. Google Recipricol (sometimes Restrictive) Easement Agreements for more. The lessor can prevent the lesee from doing certain things such as putting up a big sign that blocks the view of other buildings or something. Sometimes big retailers (Target, for example) will have a REA that prevents other retailers from doing stuff like putting up a sign that blocks theirs or (inside a mall) putting a kiosk too close to their storefront.

We had a big fiasco about this in my town a few years back. They put up a big expensive statue next to the highway in a business park. A few months later someone came along and put a huge billboard right in front of it so it was obscured from the highway. It went to court and the company ended up having to move the sign down the road a bit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Can motorcycles go on sidewalks?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

computer parts posted:

Can cars go on a sidewalk? No? Well then motorcycles can't either.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

computer parts posted:

Unlike bicycles, motorcycles are motor vehicles and have to follow exactly the same traffic laws. The only exception I know if is, in some jurisdictions like California, lane splitting is allowed.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
When you make flight reservations online and they ask for your frequent flyer account numbers, why are you allowed to enter numbers for airlines you aren't flying on? Do they have reciprocity agreements or something so you can get Delta miles for flying on Continental?

Kosani
Jun 30, 2004
Ni ni.
Hey guys. Quick question:

What's the fastest and most secure way to get a US passport these days? I've never had a passport before in my life so I would be considered a first-timer. Can you do it online? I did a quick google but only found one or two sites that looked somewhat shady. Is there an official government website?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Golbez posted:

Unlike bicycles, motorcycles are motor vehicles and have to follow exactly the same traffic laws. The only exception I know if is, in some jurisdictions like California, lane splitting is allowed.

Bicycles also have to follow traffic safety laws. It's usually illegal to ride your bicycle on sidewalks, albeit unenforced.

Kosani posted:

What's the fastest and most secure way to get a US passport these days? I've never had a passport before in my life so I would be considered a first-timer. Can you do it online? I did a quick google but only found one or two sites that looked somewhat shady. Is there an official government website?

Go tot the post office. You can do it all there but you'll need to wait two weeks minimum to get a passport finally, and that's if you pay extra for expedited service.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Kosani posted:

This site has a listing of what documents and whatnot you will need.

e: I'm a retard and didn't make it clear which question I was responding to.

Nickelodeon Household fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 10, 2011

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
This is regarding facebook. I know the answer is to stop using a lovely website that has no regard for privacy, but how do we limit old wall posts? We've gone through the privacy settings ten times over, created a list of people that shouldn't be able to view anything (politics means you can't delete them, unfortunately), and changed all the privacy settings and hit 'limit the audience for old wall posts', but that doesn't change anything. All old wall posts are still showing up when you 'view as' their profile. It looks like that retroactive setting just changes everything to 'friends only' and doesn't let you set a custom group limit.

Edit: Or does it take a day to update or something?

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 10, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I swear, every time I go to check their privacy settings it's changed to some new, more useless iteration. Anyways, limiting old wall posts just makes it so people that you haven't friended can't see them (unless they're friends with someone tagged in it), all your friends still can. Now, I remember there used to be a way to completely prevent someone from seeing what's on your wall, but that's gone now. You can manually change every post to a custom setting, which you can put whatever list you want on to prevent them from seeing it.

So basically, you can't do what you're asking for.

edit: Ha, just noticed this when searching around. In Privacy Settings, under "How You Connect" have you clicked on "Who can see Wall posts by others on your profile?"

Still can't find a way to hide status updates though.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 10, 2011

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Yeah I've got that cleared but it just refers to people who have made posts on your wall, not the wall updates you've made yourself.

Man I swear Mark Zuckerberg is a weird internet stalker and that's why he's so fond of invasions of privacy. Why the hell wouldn't I be able to limit who can see poo poo on my wall? Especially since once it's there, it's almost impossible to get rid of it all (unless you want to spend 4 hours going through your old posts).

And now that facebook is so prevalent you can't delete someone from your friends list without causing a fuss.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
About AP exams: I've gone back to college a few years out of high school and need two semesters of physics for my degree. My university indeed offers two semesters' worth of credit for the AP Physics B exam, but, though I actually did take AP physics in my high school, I never took the exam (long story). I did sign up for the physics class at my institution just to get started, but the prof's a jerk and the class disproportionately time-intensive for the subject matter; I'd like to get out if possible.

I'd never heard of an adult taking an AP test (there's no Physics CLEP), and Googling the matter brought up a bunch of "I guess...?" answers. I called up the AP College Board hotline and explained the situation, and they said in a roundabout manner that an adult taking an AP was possible (though I'd probably have to be directed to a particular high school that would take "outside students"), but the call was heavily scripted, and I'd like to have some hard info (well, anecdotal internet evidence) before dropping the class and putting my eggs in the AP basket.

Has anyone taken successfully taken an AP exam as an adult, or been definitively turned down from taking an AP exam due to being an adult? If I can indeed can still take an AP test now, anything I should be aware of before heading in (other than to brush up, obviously)?

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

I'd suggest you start with your local high school--dress nicely and go down there in the middle of the business day, in other words, neither at First Period rush hour or at end-of-day go-away-and-leave-me-alone, and ask the Office Ladies how an adult could take their AP Physics exam, and if they say, "No way", then ask them humbly for guidance, which if you ask nicely, they are generally happy to give. People love being asked for advice. High school Office Ladies, at about 10:30 a.m., are done with most of their work for the day and are still not all cross and tired, as they would be after lunch, so that's a good time for a respectable-looking person to drop in and beg them for help.

Calling them on the phone is wasted, since whoever answers will just give you the brushoff. Ditto for email. But if you go down there in person and look helpless, they will generally flock round. They will also be impressed by the fact that you came down there in person.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Religious Question:

Being a Greco-Roman history student, as well as just down the street from what appears to be a gorgeous Greek Orthodox church, I have become interested in visiting and learning a bit more.

I'm not at all atheistic, but I haven't been to a church service in many, many years too. Is there anything in particular I should know if I want to come to a service to visit and not look like an rear end/be rude?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Why the hell wouldn't I be able to limit who can see poo poo on my wall? Especially since once it's there, it's almost impossible to get rid of it all (unless you want to spend 4 hours going through your old posts).
Have you checked out the custom privacy option? It still has the original options in there (friends, friends of friends, specific people, only me), as well as an option to hide your posts from specific people. You can also go back to older posts and change who can see them now.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

IuniusBrutus posted:

Religious Question:

Being a Greco-Roman history student, as well as just down the street from what appears to be a gorgeous Greek Orthodox church, I have become interested in visiting and learning a bit more.

I'm not at all atheistic, but I haven't been to a church service in many, many years too. Is there anything in particular I should know if I want to come to a service to visit and not look like an rear end/be rude?

Other than just, overall, "don't be a dick"...specifically, dress modestly--no shorts or tank tops, probably gals should wear a (kneelength or longer) skirt, no cleavage. No flip flops or sandals. Et cetera. If female, I'd take along a small headscarf and if you see that all the other females have their heads covered, put it on. Churches vary.

Like being a tourist at the Vatican, eh. All those Lonely Planet tour guides telling you to "dress modestly" when you tour such-and-such a church aren't just blowin' smoke. If you have a "Preppie" look in your kit, as opposed to a "Bro" look, now is the time for it.

As far as behavior, just be polite. If your personal conversation tends to include the F-bomb a lot or exclamations of "Jeee-sus Kee-RIST!!" when you are amazed or annoyed, I'd keep your mouth shut.

Be prepared to put at least a dollar bill in the offering plate. A five is even better.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

IuniusBrutus posted:

Religious Question:

Well when you show up be nice and don't just go telling everyone you're only there to watch. Just try to blend in.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I couldn't find a "what product do I need?" thread, so I guess it's a stupid/small question.

I'm looking for an inexpensive timing device suitable for using for a game that needs different time settings. I want it to not take more than a few seconds to set a timer, in the range of 0-99 seconds (0-60 would do). Ideally it should be readily visible to multiple people, so either a large display or a clockwork device.

Something like those clockwork kitchen timers that you twist to set would be perfect, if they measured in seconds instead of minutes. Something like a microwave timer would also be good (where you type numbers on a keypad to set the countdown length). Most countdown clocks I can find would not be okay, because they require either 10+ keystrokes to set a 45 second timer, or 4-5 keystrokes held for several seconds.

Failing anything like those, a large-display few-buttons stopwatch would be okay, since players could just say "stop" at 45, rather than counting down from 45, but I can't even find something simple like that.

I don't want a "run this app on a phone!" software solution, I want a simple standalone timer. Anyone aware of a product that meets this spec?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

roomforthetuna posted:

I'm looking for an inexpensive timing device suitable for using for a game that needs different time settings.

You should be able to find this in the Kitchenwares section of any Walmart-type store. Look for a simple digital kitchen timer. It shouldn't run you more than $10, and I think I bought mine for less than $5.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Regular kitchen timers won't usually allow you to set seconds. Roomforthetuna, have you explored the app store for your cell phone. I found some stuff like what you're talking about when I was looking for something to do a running countdown until a specific event.

Maybe this or something like it? Most of these types of apps are free, so just download a bunch of them and see what works for you. If you have an iPhone, I'm sure they have something similar.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Besesoth posted:

You should be able to find this in the Kitchenwares section of any Walmart-type store. Look for a simple digital kitchen timer. It shouldn't run you more than $10, and I think I bought mine for less than $5.
Thanks - I had looked in various more-specialty stores and found only three-button timers and minute-setting-only timers, but searching Walmart online found this one which probably allows setting a timer in seconds, though it's unclear, and searching for that one led me to this one which is also not clear but looks more likely to allow setting a countdown time in seconds.

Edit: I'd also fruitlessly searched Amazon, Google's product search, and regular Google - once I had specific products with keypads, Amazon cross-referenced me to several similar products, but without that start point it was all terrible three-button things.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 11, 2011

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Eyeball posted:

Regular kitchen timers won't usually allow you to set seconds. Roomforthetuna, have you explored the app store for your cell phone. I found some stuff like what you're talking about when I was looking for something to do a running countdown until a specific event.

Sure they do! I've got a little digital one, and it came from the dollar store. I can set it for minutes or seconds.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Quick question, I know there was a feature on google which profiled you based on your searches, does anyone remember what its address was, I cannot seem to find it, even using google searches. It pretty much managed to make a decent image of the person based on their search history.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
A friend of mine hurt themselves real bad and will have to be out of work for an extended period of time on disability. They aren't considering SSI or anything like that, but they will be out for months. Are there any free resources to get more info? Should they consult an attorney? (There's no lawsuit as the accident wasn't work related.)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Eyeball posted:

Regular kitchen timers won't usually allow you to set seconds.

I have literally never seen a digital kitchen timer that didn't allow you to set seconds, probably because it is the worst idea ever to have a digital kitchen timer that doesn't allow you to set seconds.

Also, he explicitly said he didn't want cell phone apps.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Ryand-Smith posted:

Quick question, I know there was a feature on google which profiled you based on your searches, does anyone remember what its address was, I cannot seem to find it, even using google searches. It pretty much managed to make a decent image of the person based on their search history.

I think this is what you're talking about.

http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Capt. Morgan posted:

I think this is what you're talking about.

http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/

yes thank you very much!

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.
Small question here: I've lost my wallet. My wallet had my driver's license in it. If I get pulled over by a police officer while I'm driving, and I'm unable to produce my driver's license, what is the worst that they could do? I live in Australia, Victoria.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

roomforthetuna posted:

Thanks - I had looked in various more-specialty stores and found only three-button timers and minute-setting-only timers, but searching Walmart online found this one which probably allows setting a timer in seconds, though it's unclear, and searching for that one led me to this one which is also not clear but looks more likely to allow setting a countdown time in seconds.

Edit: I'd also fruitlessly searched Amazon, Google's product search, and regular Google - once I had specific products with keypads, Amazon cross-referenced me to several similar products, but without that start point it was all terrible three-button things.

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-5820-10-Key-Style-Timer/dp/B0007NIIPO

It's the one in your second link, except I searched for it on Amazon. One of the first reviews says it allows setting seconds.

Sizzlechest posted:

A friend of mine hurt themselves real bad and will have to be out of work for an extended period of time on disability. They aren't considering SSI or anything like that, but they will be out for months. Are there any free resources to get more info? Should they consult an attorney? (There's no lawsuit as the accident wasn't work related.)

Your friend needs to look into The Family and Medial Leave Act. There's some specifics that need to be met - specifically, he needs to have been employed for at least a year, worked at least 1,250 hours, and the company needs to have at least 50 employees.

FMLA is unpaid leave, but his employment and pay rate are protected up to 12 weeks. His specific position doesn't have to be protected, but he does have to be restored to a similar position with at least the same pay upon return.

If he meets the above requirements, all he needs to do is call his employer's human resources person/department. There's some paperwork involved and he'll need to have a doctor sign off on a few things. It can usually be handled by fax or mail if he's unable to do this in person.

If he doesn't meet the requirements, he may be boned from a legal standpoint, but if his boss has a heart they may work something out.

I've used FMLA twice, it's not too difficult to get placed on it. But normally he has to be the one to initiate FMLA; employers don't usually come right out and say "Oh that sucks, let's fill out FMLA paperwork".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Tiara posted:

Small question here: I've lost my wallet. My wallet had my driver's license in it. If I get pulled over by a police officer while I'm driving, and I'm unable to produce my driver's license, what is the worst that they could do? I live in Australia, Victoria.

A ticket? They'll be able to pull up your license if you give them your info.