Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

I would say that's different from things like technical sales support where you might be discussing things like system integration. for those you want to be on the call cause if you aren't sales will sell them something you haven't written yet.

yes, call me any time day or night for those calls because i'm going to lose sleep if you keep talking anyways

(loving timezones and asian customers :argh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

GIMP MY CAREER FOREVER by doing tech support poo poo for 50k

really?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you in a flyover state? 50k is (on the low end of) starting dev salary in the flyovers

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Luigi Thirty posted:

so my choices are continue making 9 dollars an hour doing retail or GIMP MY CAREER FOREVER by doing tech support poo poo for 50k

just know that it isnt going to be a dev job I guess. take that how you will

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

so my choices are continue making 9 dollars an hour doing retail or GIMP MY CAREER FOREVER by doing tech support poo poo for 50k

oh. you should definitely move if ur doing retail now. it doesn't even matter if ur doing tech support cause its better than retail and having development experience is good.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hobbesmaster posted:

you in a flyover state? 50k is (on the low end of) starting dev salary in the flyovers

i started at 42 lol

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shaggar posted:

oh. you should definitely move if ur doing retail now. it doesn't even matter if ur doing tech support cause its better than retail and having development experience is good.

yeah. worst case do it for a year then switch jobs again now that you have your foot in the door

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like there are legitimate reasons for hazing your junior staff like that. Working support while doing development on the software gets you experience and understanding with both sides of the product which is very valuable. who knows, they could just be smart people and you come out at the end of the year a better developer who understands your customer's needs.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Yeah I agree with shaggar on this. It's an upgrade on retail, you get closer to doing actual development, and you get paid more.

It would have been a lot more difficult to pick if you were already in dev position that paid comparably (or a bit less), but compared to minimum wage retail, go for it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

bobbilljim posted:

just know that it isnt going to be a dev job I guess. take that how you will

literally don't care at this point

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

then do it bicth :smugmrgw:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bobbilljim posted:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bobbilljim posted:

then do IT bicth :smugmrgw:

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
do it but keep applying to actual dev jobs on the side

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

bobbilljim posted:

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Most of what I do is fixing poo poo. Little bit of new stuff. I guess highest tier is "fix the codes?"

Also we keep getting detached heads at work wtf git.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Space Whale posted:

Most of what I do is fixing poo poo. Little bit of new stuff. I guess highest tier is "fix the codes?"

a typical workday

git checkout shittybranch

*do some work*

hmm oh yes looks good

git commit -m "look at this turd"

*~*~*~some time later~*~*~*

git push

if you;re doing somethign else that might be the problem

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

yeah absolutely positively take that job now and move up from there

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Space Whale posted:

thats what happens when you hire the headless horseman as your scrum master

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

florida but one of the parts with a lower cost of living. i pulled that number out of my rear end, i was being theoretical.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i dont have time for theatrics, I'm a computer

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

take out a loan from some p2p lending startup and move to a real city, make up a bunch of poo poo on your resume and feign competence, get paid, don't pay off loan, take out a bunch more loans based on your inflated tech worker income, mortgage high end condo, etc.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

AWWNAW posted:

take out a loan from some p2p lending startup and move to a real city, make up a bunch of poo poo on your resume and feign competence, get paid, don't pay off loan, take out a bunch more loans based on your inflated tech worker income, mortgage high end condo, etc.

so you want me to be Pro-PRC Laowai but with san francisco instead of beijing?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

:rip: pro-prc laowai

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the prc is great

the ccp is great

*takes out 100,000 dollars in credit cards and moves to china* ha ha inferior american scum

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i don't think he actually did that himself, did he? he was just advising other people to do that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Luigi Thirty posted:

support and qa were at one point the way in to engineering for those who didn't have advanced degrees. that's less true these days but I've seen several people make the jump.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

rotor posted:

support and qa were at one point the way in to engineering for those who didn't have advanced degrees.

paging hp hovercraft, we have a code beige in the safe zone, hp hovercraft to the safe zone please

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my id card says "engineering" on the bottom but i work in the marketing department

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the thing to keep in mind is that PPP is an adjustment for a basket of ordinary consumer goods. having a high purchasing power will help you a lot if you want to buy a domestically-produced candy bar. it's gonna really gently caress your day up when you want to buy imported consumer electronics

if you want to hear a tale of woe, ask any argentinian about buying computer equipment

I wonder if it's like in Brazil where you can buy normal computer equipment for a little more money but then stuff like apple and PS3s* are waaaaaay more expensive. which I'm totally ok with, if apple and sony don't care enough to officially enter the market then you should be hosed for buying their stupid crap that you don't need anyway

[*] white nerds always mention the price of the PS3 as if it is a serious political issue lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Symbolic Butt posted:

I wonder if it's like in Brazil where you can buy normal computer equipment for a little more money but then stuff like apple and PS3s* are waaaaaay more expensive. which I'm totally ok with, if apple and sony don't care enough to officially enter the market then you should be hosed for buying their stupid crap that you don't need anyway

[*] white nerds always mention the price of the PS3 as if it is a serious political issue lol

brazil's weird though because they have like a 100% import tax on finished electronic goods, so anyone that cares sends all the premade parts to brazil and does final assembly there to dodge the import taxes

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

fart simpson posted:

brazil's weird though because they have like a 100% import tax on finished electronic goods, so anyone that cares sends all the premade parts to brazil and does final assembly there to dodge the import taxes

Doesn't that at least force importers to hire people locally in the chain of production? That sounds like a okay-ish alternative for the country.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

MononcQc posted:

Doesn't that at least force importers to hire people locally in the chain of production? That sounds like a okay-ish alternative for the country.

yeah, some amount of locals i guess

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MononcQc posted:

thats the idea behind the policy. theres contract manufacturers that will just slap together two parts for "final assembly" to get around it, but i guess that does create a job or two

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

bobbilljim posted:

a typical workday

*do some work*

hmm oh yes looks good

git push

The VAST majority of the time this is the case!

The issues with detached heads was I had a local copy of a branch and now I don't do that.

But I have a question and if you know GIT enough to help please help.

I had a bunch of poo poo I had to undo and it seemed smarter to just use my loving version control to go back to the version before I did work I have to undo. Boss says "hey you're new here and to git talk to me before doing stuff in git." We converse on the fact that git is great for merging and checking in but apparently sucks at actually doing version control. He recommends I manually delete the poo poo I put in and commit/push. I decide to actually go back with git and do some reading:

code:
>git reset --hard <hashGoesHere>
>git push -f origin <hashGoesHere>:<BranchNameHere>
This is unsafe and just eliminated the old commits. :q: whatever

I read that with revert you had to do poo poo like revert HEAD~(n) (for n commits back?) or call revert multiple times since it only works one commit at a time.

How do you ~safely~ (that is, if you were not just not your own babby dev branch and if you hosed up it would really suck) go back n commits?

How would you do this if branching was involved?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bobbilljim posted:

a typical workday

*do some work*

hmm oh yes looks good

git push

just use subversion.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

Dude don't feel bad. You can always defuck your life if you don't have kids and have willpower.

My first dev job was less than 50K. Now I'm above market for my flyoverstateCity to the point that using a COL calculator if I was to move to SF I'd need to make like loving 200K or whatever bullshit.

It gets better.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Shaggar posted:

just use subversion.

Our buildNazi is a former Marine tabletop gamer who will do deathstare and nerd-sperg-out at the same time if you argue with him.

Also if git is a full featured graph theoretical sperg-app it should (and apparently does) have the ability to just loving go to an old version.

How do I do that?

Can't I make a new commit where I go to old versions of individual files and push that with a force or some poo poo? Can I just make a commit where it's literally "go back to this commit :colbert:" but keep the history?

Seriously.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

ok yeah that changes things

we actually have a guy here who i don't think even graduated community college, started in support and does actual programming for customer solutions now. he smells like weed about 30% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

As a Millennial I posted:

ok yeah that changes things

we actually have a guy here who i don't think even graduated community college, started in support and does actual programming for customer solutions now. he smells like weed about 30% of the time.

I dropped out getting my BSc (I have an AA) to work for $meh for about a year, then changed jobs for $MARKET, then half a year later changed again for $AboveMarket. I still know poo poo a lot of full blown educated types don't remember or never learned because I did my reading and sponge from this and the Plang thread.

If I can do it, you can do it, Luigi.

Hell, anyone can if I can. You can do better.

• Locked thread