Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I have have now officially decided that lifting old classics and rally speccing them to a degree owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
:siren: AI Secret Santa is up! :siren:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yes VW, I am aware I have slush stuck to the front of the car, kindly stop SCREAMING AT ME WITH THE loving PARK SENSOR EVERY TIME I SLOW DOWN. Christ alive...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I think I may be back in the market for a daily driver. I've been looking and it seems like some of the Virginia area VW dealers might be dealing on Golf R, and they may be 36k or so. Is the GTI SE the best bang for the buck model? They seem to be going for 28k or so at those same dealers. Am I right in thinking that 8k is reasonable for the GTI->R upgrade, even for a daily driver?

If I do go for a GTI, are the 6-speed clutches still having problems holding the extra torque with the APR tune?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I personally do not think that the R is worth a 28.5% price premium over the GTI SE unless:

you are stupid rich and really can't think of anything better to do with eight thousand dollars
you plan to drive actively in significant new snow like 20+ days of the year or you plan to drive somwhere when you would have to chain up a lot

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
are you buying new? if you're looking at used, imo (i'm biased tho) best model is 2017 sport model: performance package, lighting package, no sunroof (which are very problematic for many vw owners), cloth seats.

yes, stock 6 speed clutch cannot handle the power of stage 1 upgrades

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I personally do not think that the R is worth a 28.5% price premium over the GTI SE unless:

you are stupid rich and really can't think of anything better to do with eight thousand dollars
you plan to drive actively in significant new snow like 20+ days of the year or you plan to drive somwhere when you would have to chain up a lot

BraveUlysses posted:

are you buying new? if you're looking at used, imo (i'm biased tho) best model is 2017 sport model: performance package, lighting package, no sunroof (which are very problematic for many vw owners), cloth seats.

It's replacing a Cayman, and I'm hoping to split its (the Cayman's) job between two cars, a hatchback (either a GTI or R) that I can commute in/put miles on/put our dog in on occasion, and a future fun car. I live in eastern PA so snow is not a huge issue. The reason I'm thinking of the R is because it has the power bump and nice European adaptive suspension/LED dash that's unavailable in the US GTI for now.

I usually buy used cars, but I am considering buying new in this case because used cars don't seem to have a huge discount in this case, and because of VW doubling the warranty on its new cars to 6 years. 2019s should be just around the corner right?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 11, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

I have a JB1 which I think is fairly close to the APR and no issues on the stock clutch. I’m sure it’ll decrease the lifespan but avoiding dumb stuff will go a long way.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Being someone that has driven manual exclusively, I wish I had of gotten a DSG. This is especially true if you ever plan on throwing more power at it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

And the dsg is just really good. I drove almost all manual cars before buying mine and have zero regrets.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Suburban Dad posted:

And the dsg is just really good. I drove almost all manual cars before buying mine and have zero regrets.

Same. I was 15 days shy of 30 years of driving nothing but manuals when I traded my Civic Si off for my GTI w/ DSG.

Speaking of that, I know there's nothing that can be done now, but please allow me to vent a bit.

When I traded the Civic off, it had started to get the clearcoat issue that was known with them. Honda extended the warranty on it, but as is usually my luck mine didn't start going bad until after the extension was done.

When I took the car in for trade, they gave me less than I was hoping to get because they said they'd have to paint it to sell it. Ok, fine - I likely wasn't going to recoup the funds for a proper respray in the trade (at one point I was going to get it painted and keep it a while but the quote was very high), and I was getting a good sale price - so I let it go. They had it on their website for double what I got and it only lasted a few days.

Just for the hell of it, a couple weeks ago I Googled the VIN and it's back on their lot for sale again. Not only did it not get repainted like they said it would be, the clearcoat on the roof is a whole lot worse than it was when I had it. Again they're asking double what I got for it.

I have a scheduled service visit with them tomorrow. Not sure if I should say something. Again I realize there's no real recourse for me at this point, but maybe just to let them know that this didn't go unnoticed may not hurt. Just sucks feeling I got played.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That's trade-ins for you - if you want top dollar you need to sell the car yourself.

When I traded my pretty much immaculate 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 I got just under $15k as a trade, the dealer listed it for $20k and it was sold within two days - I could have done better selling it myself but the extra hassle just wasn't worth it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Etrips posted:

Being someone that has driven manual exclusively, I wish I had of gotten a DSG. This is especially true if you ever plan on throwing more power at it.

Yeah, but then we'd be an all-automatic household and I can't have that.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

You're gonna kill yourself driving that in Appalachia.
My friend DDs a Midget 2. I think I'm alright. It's Philadelphia (well, the burbs, for me), not Pennsyltucky.

KakerMix posted:

As easy as if you were buying a 1998 Ford Taurus because you didn't say California and these two are already here. Sign the title over, you go to the DMV in Pennsylvania, ez pz.
Man, am I tempted to make Bad Decisions.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Residency Evil posted:

It's replacing a Cayman, and I'm hoping to split its (the Cayman's) job between two cars, a hatchback (either a GTI or R) that I can commute in/put miles on/put our dog in on occasion, and a future fun car. I live in eastern PA so snow is not a huge issue. The reason I'm thinking of the R is because it has the power bump and nice European adaptive suspension/LED dash that's unavailable in the US GTI for now.

I usually buy used cars, but I am considering buying new in this case because used cars don't seem to have a huge discount in this case, and because of VW doubling the warranty on its new cars to 6 years. 2019s should be just around the corner right?

You wanna buy a gently used 2015 Golf R? I gotta get something that can fit 2 car seats in the back and while I love this thing it ain't gonna do the trick. I'll throw in a new set of snows (Pirelli Sottos).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You wanna buy a gently used 2015 Golf R? I gotta get something that can fit 2 car seats in the back and while I love this thing it ain't gonna do the trick. I'll throw in a new set of snows (Pirelli Sottos).

What are you considering to replace it? I feel like I may be in this situation with my GTI at some point soon and am not sure what to get. Probably just a grown up SUV. :( One car seat is tough enough as is.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Suburban Dad posted:

What are you considering to replace it? I feel like I may be in this situation with my GTI at some point soon and am not sure what to get. Probably just a grown up SUV. :( One car seat is tough enough as is.

I'm going to probably end up buying a Model S actually. My car won't be the family car, it just has to be able to fit 2 car seats. I considered an Outback and an A7 but I kind of want a Tesla.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm going to probably end up buying a Model S actually. My car won't be the family car, it just has to be able to fit 2 car seats. I considered an Outback and an A7 but I kind of want a Tesla.

don't do this

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Used? Not a great car?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

How much? Manual or dsg? Provided the other guy isn't interested of course.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Used? Not a great car?

They're very badly made cars, a fire hazard, and if they catch on fire your kids are stuck in the back with no real way to get out if you have also lost power (likely, in a fire)

Full stop do not buy one, new or used.

For the same price you could buy like any nice Sedan or Hatch with room for car seats. Or hell, an SUV/CUV even and I hate the drat things

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

fknlo posted:

How much? Manual or dsg? Provided the other guy isn't interested of course.

$26,000 DSG, it's got probably 25 thousand miles on the clock.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Residency Evil posted:

I'm right on the fence right now on leasing an R, but I'm waiting to see what 2019 brings. I thought new-year models came out like the summer before the year? :bahgawd:

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Update - they have to replace the entire door panel under warranty to fix the non-functional light stripe. I scheduled for a day I already have off for a concert that night, so no biggie.

On the upside, I found my old Si on the lot and they did paint it. Not sure why they'd have the "before" pics on their website, but I don't feel like I got screwed as bad.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
For what it's worth, the Passat has an absolutely massive back seat and until 2015 came with a 5 speed 1.8t.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'll likely go with the manual if I get an R, but I'll definitely think about that. I have a year left on my lease and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to get to replace the GTI. At the moment I'm leaning towards picking up a mk4 or 5 R32 for general DD use and then a second S2000 so that I have one that I actually drive. I could get both of those in pretty drat good shape for $20-25k.

There's nothing stopping me from buying the replacement now, so I'm keeping my eyes open for interesting things.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm right on the fence right now on leasing an R, but I'm waiting to see what 2019 brings. I thought new-year models came out like the summer before the year? :bahgawd:

Posters on vwvortex are saying January '19 for the Rs.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

poo poo man, maybe.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Oh DSG. :( Love the PDK in our Macan, but I think I want to stick to a manual for my car.

PPI is scheduled on my Cayman for tomorrow. Assuming it checks out, guy is coming this weekend to take my baby away. :ohdear:

Radiohead71 posted:

Yeah, looks like things are a bit delayed for the 2019s. The Rabbit edition also looks kind of neat.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 14, 2018

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Anybody know where I can get a large battery cover for a mk7 without paying like 50 bucks?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Radiohead71 posted:

I'll definitely have to wait then.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Dammit, my 2016 GTI needs its water pump replaced and is out of warranty. Anyone ever DIY the water pump on their MK7? Going to check the specific forums of course as well, only good video I found was a MK6.

Edit: should have included maybe some info. I have a slow-ish leak that cropped up shortly after 36,000 miles. I've been topping up with distilled water and coolant but it's a daily thing now. Car behaves otherwise, doesn't overheat, just seems to have that lovely water pump gasket. I did spring for the extended warranty, just need to call in and find out whether it's covered but I'm not optimistic after they failed to correctly put my pre-paid maintenance through.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 15, 2018

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Picking up a 2018 GTI in Dark Iron Blue on Saturday, absolutely can't wait.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Oddhair posted:

Dammit, my 2016 GTI needs its water pump replaced and is out of warranty. Anyone ever DIY the water pump on their MK7? Going to check the specific forums of course as well, only good video I found was a MK6.

Edit: should have included maybe some info. I have a slow-ish leak that cropped up shortly after 36,000 miles. I've been topping up with distilled water and coolant but it's a daily thing now. Car behaves otherwise, doesn't overheat, just seems to have that lovely water pump gasket. I did spring for the extended warranty, just need to call in and find out whether it's covered but I'm not optimistic after they failed to correctly put my pre-paid maintenance through.

How is your water pump out of warranty, isn't the car only 2 years old?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

a mysterious cloak posted:

How is your water pump out of warranty, isn't the car only 2 years old?

3-year, 36,000 mile, usually the manufacturer will state "whichever comes first."

However, something like a leaky water pump would definitely lead me to raising holy hell with the service department and escalating if need be that early into an engine's life.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

VW doesn't have a longer Powertrain warranty? Waterpump should be covered under the powertrain warranty

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

3-year, 36,000 mile, usually the manufacturer will state "whichever comes first."

However, something like a leaky water pump would definitely lead me to raising holy hell with the service department and escalating if need be that early into an engine's life.

actually pre-2018 models its some stupid poo poo like 3y or 30k miles, cheap assholes

TrueChaos posted:

Picking up a 2018 GTI in Dark Iron Blue on Saturday, absolutely can't wait.

nice color! hope you got an SE or Autobahn

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

nice color! hope you got an SE or Autobahn

I'm in Canada, so options are base or autobahn. Our base trim has the fancy differential, same display but just no nav, 17" wheels. Autobahn gets the LED headlights, leather interior, push button start, sunroof, etc. Only things I really wanted from the autobahn were the LED lights and keyless start, and up here the autobahn is 5300 more than the base.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Oh true, I'm brain damaged. I'd raise poo poo about the water pump too at 2ish years old.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

And where were you this time last year, god... DAMMIT!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Tread’s getting low on a couple of my GTI’s tires. Any recommendations for good bang for the buck tires? For reference I currently have the Continental Extreme Contact (with Sport Plus+ Tech whoo). Anything I should do with the two less bald tires? Also, replacing tires at 30k miles seems a tad soon. Should that be cause for concern? I’ve had it for less than a year and the guy before me only had it for around a month/4K miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

30k is fine. I usually make it to 20k. Where do you live?