Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
maybe you should use a programming language instead of poor-people matlab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

like all great jokes, someone else on the internet thought of it first. still stealing it though

also this R ngram babbler just chokes and dies way too often with completely uninformative error messages. i think there's some symbol in the text files that keeps killing it, but i have no way of figuring out what it is
call it markovanga then

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Corla Plankun posted:

maybe you should use a programming language instead of poor-people matlab

haha yeah and maybe i'll just go back to scratching in the dirt with a stick like a goddamn monkey

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
in other news:

quote:

Power is given a new heart, his mouth, Stones will fall in the Ritual. Totemic representation was first derived from a model of the initiate's eyes, which are divine for lightening the darkness of death, and I repeat his words to describe what they're going through right now, said Harford Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler. RT @baltimoresun: Sheriff believes deputy was targeted, saying the suspect took that action because he would not come far from the Elder Gods by the sex for the great city was divided into many subsidiaries and operating segments.

it's pretty magical

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Markov chains seem like low-effort poo poo-tier programmer BS tbh.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Squeezy Farm posted:

Markov chains seem like low-effort poo poo-tier programmer BS tbh.

they are, but so what? im not showing off my mad skillz here, i'm having fun doing dumb poo poo.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i mean did you literally not even read the title of this thread?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Squeezy Farm posted:

low-effort poo poo-tier programmer BS

not necessary to sign

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

my 1000pcs of 0.5W white leds came in

i was just playin around with a few of them, soldered them onto a pcb breadboard(which was a little weird since they are surface mount, but w/e). anyways i was powering 3 of them in series with a resistor to limit current, running about 12v on my bench power supply. i was using a couple alligator clip test leads and at one point i accidentally powered them on by holding a part of the circuit in each hand.

i was pretty amazed how bright it was passing a miniscule current through my body. i did a little more testing, adjusting voltage and measuring current, and found that you can get some amount of light out of these all the way down to just under 1uA
that seems insane to me, i had no idea these bright LEDs could run on such low current

now i'm wondering if i could make some dimly flashing led thing that just harnesses stray emf or something, like those electricians live circuit detectors, but it wouldn't need a battery?

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

they are, but so what? im not showing off my mad skillz here, i'm having fun doing dumb poo poo.

I'm just trolling you dude. Don't worry I think the random phrases are funny.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
got me all heated for nothing

gonna go punch a wall now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

haha yeah and maybe i'll just go back to scratching in the dirt with a stick like a goddamn monkey

punch
yourself in the nuts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
love your poo poo mate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I couldn't markov chain the alphabet so be pleased with yoursaelf

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I wonder what happened to that goon Markov Chain Chomp

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

I couldn't markov chain the alphabet so be pleased with yoursaelf

in r it's already done in a package called ngram. all the twitter stuff is already in a package called twitteR, and the news harvesting stuff is in a package called tm and its derivatives. it's all just a question of plugging one package into another, in a procedure we call "docking"

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

got me all heated for nothing

gonna go punch a wall now

we are at cranky level: gonna punch repeat awooga

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im resurrecting my 18-months-dormant 540i cause i want a car and its sad i have a muscle car in the driveway that isnt drivable.

so, we got a new battery, i had the alternator tested, did an oil and filter change today - both of which looked like satan's piss, pumped the gas out of the tank with a hand pump. 2 gallons, a couple ounces at a time, pulled the (new) fuel filter and pumped out any residual gas in the fuel line, reinstalled that and this time properly torqued the hose clamps, thereby fixing my previous negligence and subsequent drip leak. tomorrow i figure out what to do with two gallons of dead gas, go buy 5 gallons of V-power, dump it in and crank.

if it purrs, we go smog and tag. if it doesn't, we bring it to a nice import shop here in town and let them beat on it. i got dat obd reader though so i can at least give it the college try

either way we get to navigate the possibly hilarious and perhaps expensive Choose-Your-Own-Adventure entitled: How Do You Get A Used Car To The Emissions Testing Place So It Can Get Tags When It Doesn't Have Current Tags

tl;dr as i usually do, i have switched from ham radio to cars abruptly (tbh my station is VERY set up now so i just like to sit down and operate) in my obsession of the week. however once we are tagged and driving, i have a few bucks set aside to put a couple real Comet mounts and antennas on, and install the Alinco DR-600t crossband dual bander.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 11, 2016

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my father in law has a mean as radio IN his car

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Just drive really carefully and try to keep a couple cars between you and the po-po, Jonny.

Or maybe you can ask the police or CO DMV what to do?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I think i heard rumors of a paper 48 hour inspection tag. If not, I get to pay to have a 100% running vehicle towed round trip to an emissions station at least once

towing cars is SO GOOD FOR THEM

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
especially if you dont know how to do it and ride the brakes the whole way

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

more LED stuff

i deicded to hook one up to a mostly run down 9V, with a 1 meg resistor limiting the current.

i think it will go on for a year maybe
not that its putting out any useful amount of light, i mean i guess if you are in pitch black and put it an inch in front of things you can basically see them
but its mostly just a curiosity i guess, like my tritium vial... oh i should take a pic of that

here they are together. tritium vial is about 5yrs old (12.3yr half life)
also that was a 30s exposure

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

peepsalot posted:

tritium vial

i have one of those on my keys and i'm always wondering if im slowly giving myself leg cancer or not

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

unpacked robinhood posted:

i have one of those on my keys and i'm always wondering if im slowly giving myself leg cancer or not

nah there are different kinds of radioactive decay and tritium's is pretty low energy, the beta particles can't make it through your dead layers of skin.

just don't break the vial and ingest/inhale the contents and you'll be fine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bmw started on the second crank. it still has the weird misfire/shudder from last year. OBD2 reader says no codes. No CEL. I'm pissed lol. not because i have to get my car fixed, but because i can't figure it out myself.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

like all great jokes, someone else on the internet thought of it first. still stealing it though

also this R ngram babbler just chokes and dies way too often with completely uninformative error messages. i think there's some symbol in the text files that keeps killing it, but i have no way of figuring out what it is

fuzz the library

http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/afl/

:getin:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

bmw started on the second crank. it still has the weird misfire/shudder from last year. OBD2 reader says no codes. No CEL. I'm pissed lol. not because i have to get my car fixed, but because i can't figure it out myself.

first thing check and see if you smell gas near the engine, it could be an injector with a bad seal or something

remove all the spark plugs but leave the wires connected, set them so that they are touching the block or something grounded, like this, if one doesn't spark replace the plug, then the wire. if it still doesn't spark then you're looking at either the distributor cap, worst case scenario something with the timing which is probably not something to be done at home

if the shudder is a misfire the o2 sensor may not trip from aerosolized fuel in the exhaust

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
word, its coil on plug though. i guess i could unplug coils one at a time - god i hate working on live circuits like that though. No gas scent up front.

this thing counts misfires and if it has more than 3 misfires on a single cylinder in 1000 revolutions it fires the light. so god drat what the hell is going on lol

That being said, i did have misfire CEL's very occasionally before this thing slept for a year and a half, so maybe a coil has failed in a way that the computer can't detect

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jonny 290 posted:

word, its coil on plug though. i guess i could unplug coils one at a time - god i hate working on live circuits like that though

When my motorcycle still had points, they would crap out regularly, so I would test for spark by pulling off one plug boot and sticking a finger in it while kicking over the engine

Kinda feels like getting snapped with a rubber band on your whole arm at once

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well upside, the primary of CoP is only 12 volts. downside is its a few amps. thats bad for circuits to make/break like that. i dunno. Time to ruminate a bit on next steps.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Also for the old gas, doesn't the hausbus have anything that could burn it? Or even put it in your car... 2 gallons of old stuff with 8 gallons of new isn't going to be a problem

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
johnny you can also rent a smoke machine from a party shop and check the vacuum lines pretty cheap/easily on your own before you take it in, that's always a good first step for weird shakes and shudders, especially on older cars where the rubber bits are hard and cracked

also if its stumbling at idle especially when cold it could be a dirty idle air control valve, which you can clean pretty easily

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KPkslbjfJg

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i am sadly super experienced with IAC valves - my 240sx was so bad that I put a tee fitting on the IACV's intake and capped it, and that was my easy-peasy Gumout injection point. this isnt that.

You used to be able to balance a quarter on this engine. now the car shakes at idle to where the open door's edge is moving like 1/4"
its so loving weird.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i notice a faint gas smell when i gun it. wondering if i have a rotten injector o-ring

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i notice a faint gas smell when i gun it. wondering if i have a rotten injector o-ring

That with it being intermittent would make me agree.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

whoa neat

probably spent too much time on this nonsense for now anyway, btu that is p cool

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i am sadly super experienced with IAC valves - my 240sx was so bad that I put a tee fitting on the IACV's intake and capped it, and that was my easy-peasy Gumout injection point. this isnt that.

You used to be able to balance a quarter on this engine. now the car shakes at idle to where the open door's edge is moving like 1/4"
its so loving weird.

it's an inline 6, right? should have perfect balance. maybe something internal is physically busted

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think it was at least partially lifters. old oil before yesterday (like, 8k miles) and the new stuff hadn't made it up there yet. It seems to be running a lot smoother on this last startup, though not perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The Bimmer just needs a good highway run at or very near top speed. Load them fuckin' rings up and run it at full operating temp/high load for like 15 minutes :getin: