Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
She can't be faking it because this is a dumb parable about free will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Typical Pubbie posted:

Is it?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It doesn't work anyway because he can literally read her mind, he'd know that immediately :smith: Ah well

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Typical Pubbie posted:

Ah, the old clockwork orange conundrum. Only with more violence.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Paladinus posted:

Ah, the old clockwork orange conundrum. Only with more violence.
She's about to shout "Rap music, my droogs!" and jump face-first into a wall?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thick, creamy ropes of tears.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
i'm havin a hard time accepting the author isn't making this up on the fly but i know this was all planned. and that's rough.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

The Lord of Hats posted:

Why does Patrick have such a hangup on the fact that his dad is dead when he's the one that killed him.

I presume he wanted absolute proof that his mother was so dead inside that she'd kill him without thinking to save her own skin, and didn't really think about it beyond that because people don't really have good mental models for What To Do After You've Murdered Half Of The People Who Know You.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
But he was able to do a DEEP SCAN of her mind on the following page and saw that it was full of tetris blocks which means psycopath.

Handing his mother a knife was like lighting a match to check if there's a gas leak.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 4, 2018

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i can't believe my father is dead after i forced my mom to stab him at gunpoint

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

The Lord of Hats posted:

Why does Patrick have such a hangup on the fact that his dad is dead when he's the one that killed him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My superior puppeteer brain lets me recall that Patrick's motive here is that he was, perhaps due to their genetic connection, unusually sensitive to the thoughts of his parents. He was going to kill them or at least make them not think loathful thoughts about him, which I guess he picked up far more clearly than that of, say, Jimmy the Uber driver.

Loss of a parent would also be very difficult and it's honestly rather realistic - in the general sense - that he'd be dismayed at his father's death, especially since, you know, he did it. (The specific execution is dumb as gently caress, naturally.)

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Nessus posted:

it's honestly rather realistic - in the general sense - that he'd be dismayed at his father's death
thanks for this insight

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Wait-wait-wait. Then how come the mother is not sad about her husband dying? Isn't that a bit unrealistic? I'm lost.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Paladinus posted:

Wait-wait-wait. Then how come the mother is not sad about her husband dying? Isn't that a bit unrealistic? I'm lost.

if Patrick didn't completely rewrite her psyche, it's because she's still a sociopath.

if Patrick did completely rewrite her psyche, it's because he's incompetent.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well if we take that at face value it's the first time he's used his powers in this way, so I don't think competence can be really expected, but you're almost certainly putting more thought into it than the author is.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

wait was that a serious question

the mom is clearly supposed to be a hollowed-out parody of June Cleaver who can't be sad about something horrific she and patrick did because that kind of situation doesn't fit his ridiculous monkeys paw wish for her to be a Perfect Mom

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 6, 2018

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
is patrick going to change clevin next

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i'm on the edge of my seat

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

wait was that a serious question

the mom is clearly supposed to be a hollowed-out parody of June Cleaver who can't be sad about something horrific she and patrick did because that kind of situation doesn't fit his ridiculous monkeys paw wish for her to be a Perfect Mom

It was not a serious question.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
what if he changed the mom's preferred pronouns

what then

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i need to hear mulligan's opinion on pronouns

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
and also on circumcision, if you're reading this please do an arc on circumcision next, i really need to see it discussed in the context of superpowers and mutant animal people

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
mulligan isn't keeping up with the times if the next storyline isn't alison becoming a youtube starlet, and being sexually harassed by a man who has uploaded his entire brain onto his supercomputer and transformed into a malevolent bot army. there can be a circumcision subplot, i'll leave that entirely up to him

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I hate to say this, but circumcision seems like exactly the kind of hole this comic would throw itself down.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

we want to know if clevin is circumcised, or if the question doesn't make sense

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
It's all pasta down there.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

skidaddle skidoodle it always was a noodle

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~

Nessus posted:

My superior puppeteer brain lets me recall that Patrick's motive here is that he was, perhaps due to their genetic connection, unusually sensitive to the thoughts of his parents. He was going to kill them or at least make them not think loathful thoughts about him, which I guess he picked up far more clearly than that of, say, Jimmy the Uber driver.

Loss of a parent would also be very difficult and it's honestly rather realistic - in the general sense - that he'd be dismayed at his father's death, especially since, you know, he did it. (The specific execution is dumb as gently caress, naturally.)

at the start of the arc we were all under the impression patrick couldn't brainwash people but that's apparently been untrue this whole time, and more importantly, it seems like patrick knew he could do that at this point in the flashback. so why didn't he just do mind stuff to his parents while they slept and skip all the murder and trauma?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Axe-man posted:

It's all pasta down there.

just a mezze rigatoni

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

what if clevin has been the silent hill/xenogears wiki man all along

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Clevin will give the world a spaghetti breakfast.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Worst Unicorn posted:

at the start of the arc we were all under the impression patrick couldn't brainwash people

Nobody in this comic could possibly be mistaken for a person, so this is still true.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The Worst Unicorn posted:

at the start of the arc we were all under the impression patrick couldn't brainwash people but that's apparently been untrue this whole time, and more importantly, it seems like patrick knew he could do that at this point in the flashback. so why didn't he just do mind stuff to his parents while they slept and skip all the murder and trauma?

You can make the point that killing a person and basically rewiring their brain is the same thing in that it removes the person as they were from existence, and that Patrick seems to think so since he basically treats it as equivalent crimes. There's also the thing where asking "why didn't character do X" where X is the most logical thing to do is a bit silly, because characters act in ways dependent on their emotional states and personal beliefs and all that fun stuff rather than pure reason.

So it's fine if a character's dumb idiot actions are coherent with their thoughts and feelings, the problem is just Patrick's aren't. As it is, Patrick's problem is that his parents hate him and he wants them to stop, and he has two entirely separate last resorts to deal with that problem. If what he's after is the relative peace of mind of not having to deal with their thoughts, murder makes sense as a solution (somewhat, anyway, if you ignore he has a massive criminal empire and could just put his parents in house arrest in Australia). If instead what he really wants his parents's love and approval, it makes sense he would go with mind-wiping when all else fails. Except Patrick just kinda wants both? And then does both?

Really, Patrick's dad only existed as a prob to demonstrate that Patrick's psychopath mom is, in fact, a psychopath, after we were already shown she stranges dogs to death with her powerful hands and has no qualms murdering children. Mulligan wanted to write a story about Patrick longing to be loved by a person incapable of feeling love, and having a normal dad was an obstacle in the story he just got rid off in the clumsiest way instead of just making psycho mom a single mother or something.

Sad dad's presence is completely pointless and that's why we can't help but ask "but why didn't he do X".

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

this broken hill posted:

mulligan isn't keeping up with the times if the next storyline isn't alison becoming a youtube starlet, and being sexually harassed by a man who has uploaded his entire brain onto his supercomputer and transformed into a malevolent bot army. there can be a circumcision subplot, i'll leave that entirely up to him
dude uploads himself onto the Silent Hill Wiki

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
if only we could go back in time and add the mom killing the dog to strangle.avi

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Leaning heavily on unreliable narration to pull off a surprise "everything you were told up until now was a lie" twist is one of the biggest crutches terrible writers seem to rely on.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ayuh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why didn't he just rewrite BOTH of them to love him and then call it a day :shrug:

• Locked thread