Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I mean the original is basically Cage. I told him so and he said was more of an Axel player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought 2K16 was fine, but the biggest problem is the sluggish speed of matches. This seems like something they most likely won't budge too easily on, since it's probably someone's grand idea of how the game should run.

I also can't really see many gimmicks that they can trot out anymore to cover up the shortcomings like in the last 5 years. Nostalgia modes aren't as novel, especially with the Network out there. They've exhausted the old stars to the point they're marketing a guy who has been in a ton of games. Hard times.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 22, 2016

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Nut Bunnies posted:

I thought 2K16 was fine, but the biggest problem is the sluggish speed of matches. This seems like something they most likely won't budge too easily on, since it's probably someone's grand idea of how the game should run.

I also can't really see many gimmicks that they can trot out anymore to cover up the shortcomings like in the last 5 years. Nostalgia modes aren't as novel, especially with the Network out there. They've exhausted the old stars to the point they're marketing a guy who has been in a ton of games. Hard times.

Someone hasn't played 2k15. 16 is a dream compared to that hot garbage.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nut Bunnies posted:

Is it still the rumor that the main mode this year is going to be "play through HHH's career" (ala Austin?)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Davros1 posted:

Is it still the rumor that the main mode this year is going to be "play through HHH's career" (ala Austin?)

There are going to be rehab mini-games every time he tears his quad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm hoping for a Lesnar career retrospective mode. You get to Summerslam 2014 and the objective is just SUPLEX JOHN CENA with a counter beside it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Lesnar Mode is an unlockable cheat that turns every attack into a suplex.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

It's really a shame that the Benoit embargo keeps them from including that tag title match in a hypothetical Triple H Showcase.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Lesnar Mode is an unlockable cheat that turns every attack into a suplex.

Real-talk, I'd be down for a Lesnar mode that was like the Streak mode they had a few games back. Like Brock is basically a bullshit SNK fighting game boss and you have to see how long you can last, or god forbid actually beat him.

Undertaker has a special hidden finisher than wins the match if the ref's bumped.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
They still haven't done a Monday Night Wars theme yet. Somehow. There was the Attitude era which was cool, but throw WCW and ECW in there since they have all the intellectual property and rights to most of the guys.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Pre-order now for exclusive capri pants.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

89 posted:

They still haven't done a Monday Night Wars theme yet. Somehow. There was the Attitude era which was cool, but throw WCW and ECW in there since they have all the intellectual property and rights to most of the guys.

I get the impression Vince doesn't even like to humor the idea that WCW was ever a real threat to him, and certainly not that they, as his competition, had anything to do with his success.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Not to mention you really can't do Nitro/WCW without Hogan and WWE are still very hesitant to reopen that bridge.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Claytor posted:

It's really a shame that the Benoit embargo keeps them from including that tag title match in a hypothetical Triple H Showcase.

just sub in stevie richards

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Not to mention you really can't do Nitro/WCW without Hogan and WWE are still very hesitant to reopen that bridge.

Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, and Punch-Out!'s very own Mr. Dream.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

sk posted:

And Hollywood Nova for Hulk!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cubone posted:

I get the impression Vince doesn't even like to humor the idea that WCW was ever a real threat to him, and certainly not that they, as his competition, had anything to do with his success.

The Attitude Era game had a ratings graph between each match you played, so I don't really think that's the reason. And besides, they could easily spin it with "haha look at this dumb garbage WCW did!"

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world

Endless Mike posted:

The Attitude Era game had a ratings graph between each match you played, so I don't really think that's the reason. And besides, they could easily spin it with "haha look at this dumb garbage WCW did!"

Would pre-order for news of a Vince Russo Greatest Hits showcase

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

sk posted:

:sbahj:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
2016 Match of the Year: Sheamus vs Seth Rollins time limit draw on Smackdown

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

triplexpac posted:

2016 Match of the Year: Sheamus vs Seth Rollins time limit draw on Smackdown

Sheamus is the man in this game

Here's another crazy WWE pay per view

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Marquis de Pyro posted:

this is violence

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

remusclaw posted:

Only on the pc version, and only through mods. The song replacer is pretty easy to use, but it only replaces rather than adds songs.

http://smacktalks.org/forums/topic/61007-released-sound-injector-213/?page=1

I saw a wrestler called the baby boomer who's song was Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons so I'm glad I found out how now

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Marquis de Pyro posted:

the brawl between seth rollins and jey uso didn't have any follow up

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
TEW is funny. I have the award winning Best Announcers in the game, but still I get notes that really good segments deserve better announcing

I guess I need to modify their skills to be maxed out to be good enough to cover a Tanahashi vs Naito promo battle

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

triplexpac posted:

TEW is funny. I have the award winning Best Announcers in the game, but still I get notes that really good segments deserve better announcing

I guess I need to modify their skills to be maxed out to be good enough to cover a Tanahashi vs Naito promo battle

Yep, I somehow have to hear that the greatest announcing combo in the history of wrestling (Ultramantis Black and William Regal) isn't good enough. It's an outrage.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

In my TEW game Ambrose vs Rollins consistently got "there was no psychology in this match" notes, which ???

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Basic Chunnel posted:

In my TEW game Ambrose vs Rollins consistently got "there was no psychology in this match" notes, which ???

noted spot monkey Dean Ambrose

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

If you're playing RWC, the guy who makes that mod basically doesn't understand what the psychology stat is for or how it impacts match ratings.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Yeah, I went through and edited almost everyone important in the game. I think it's easy to misunderstand how high it needs to be to not have it gently caress up matches. It seems like anything under 80-85 is basically 'garbage' according to the game. Which was a problem when a bunch of mainstream workers were by default 50 or below.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Basic Chunnel posted:

"Lunatic Fringe" is not a recognized diagnosis by the DSM. Please refer Dean to a psychologist who can diagnose him properly.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Yeah, I went through and edited almost everyone important in the game. I think it's easy to misunderstand how high it needs to be to not have it gently caress up matches. It seems like anything under 80-85 is basically 'garbage' according to the game. Which was a problem when a bunch of mainstream workers were by default 50 or below.
The system makes some sense in terms of scaling - if you want a 100 pop worker, he'll need stats within a certain distance of that number - but it sort of dulls the Sports Entertainment sense of being able to get literally anyone over through the right combination of razzle dazzle / booking. Matches shouldn't not matter, but still. On the one hand, Terry Bolea. On the other hand, it makes sense enough that a well-booked good worker will have an easier time of getting over than a well-booked but tepid worker.

I think I'm fine with the way the system works right now - you can definitely get a bad worker over but they'll sink like a stone as soon as you stop all-out protecting him. Stuff like regional battles and owner demands exist to incentivize you to actually push bad workers.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Claytor posted:

If you're playing RWC, the guy who makes that mod basically doesn't understand what the psychology stat is for or how it impacts match ratings.

More to the point he obstinately refuses to make concessions to playability. Psychology is probably the most important stat in the game.
Of course a lot of people think a lot of the mods are too easy. In 2013 I'd vehemently disagree. But with 2016 I might be force to at least hear them out.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

More to the point he obstinately refuses to make concessions to playability. Psychology is probably the most important stat in the game.
Of course a lot of people think a lot of the mods are too easy. In 2013 I'd vehemently disagree. But with 2016 I might be force to at least hear them out.
The 1988 mod for TEW13 was very easy as WWF. I got a 100-rated match for Hulk Hogan v Jerry Lawler.

Mind you that would have been a money program in 1989.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I would say running good shows as a work rate promotion is still too easy, but that's less 'running good shows' and more 'it's still too easy to grow as this type of fed which is far more limited in real life'

I don't doubt that the type of people who would go to a show headlined by reDRagon vs Young Bucks ladder match, Samoa Joe vs Davey Richards, and La Sombra vs Lio Rush would view said show as an 'A' but that would be 3,000 people, not the 21,000 that I packed into Joe Louis Arena for the spectacle.

However, the more aggressive federations still makes it way harder. Since I started WWE and New Japan have hired away 10 of my main eventers, TNA hired 2 of my women's division, and I just had to pay Lio Rush and the Young Bucks enough to make me anxious financially to keep them from jumping to WWE or TNA.

Compared to previous games where you could just form a superteam of indy stars and WWE would basically never try to steal any of them and that is a huge improvement

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Does the feature that make different regions lean toward different products have any bite to it? I mean it's a game so anything's possible but you'd think Sports Entertainment would be dominant Most everywhere, Strong Style in Japan, etc. but then you get into the territory of putting on great shows with measly gates, which would confuse a lot of end users. More to the point it would probably have a ripple effect in the game's already complicated math. Differentiating longitudinal growth across products, balancing small companies and big ones w/r/t talent acquisition and retainment, working out worker salaries vs. their skill and overness so as not to break the game, etc.

It would retain some more realism in terms of company growth but would make gaining on WWE-style Titans as a small fed practically impossible. But then, that's realism in itself.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Basic Chunnel posted:

I got a lack of psychology warning in a Kurt Angle vs Prince Devitt match

They're kicking out of 100 finishers what more psychology do you WANT game??

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Regrettable posted:

Someone hasn't played 2k15. 16 is a dream compared to that hot garbage.

It is, but the philosophy of the devs seems to be making it more of a simulation of wrestling as if it were real. That kind of thing is fine for real sports, but it doesn't really make sense for wrestling. The best games have a balance of sports simulation and arcade absurdity. 2K15 and 2K16 go too far in the simulation direction.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
It's also that they're kinda overly focused in terms of what they're simulating, so a lot of stuff still gets super-abstracted and flattened out. There's this huge library of moves for CAWs but functionally they're all super similar. Sure, a hoss will have more health and damage, and a cruiserweight will have more reversals and priority on attacks, but I played one superheavyweight antihero hoss and one Young Bucks esque over-flippy indie heel in MyCareer mode and it never felt like the mechanics were pushing me toward executing different game plans with them. It's the same tactic of finding moves to spam with short windup animations when you're not in control, grinding their reversals down, and then going through my list of grapples to crank up the move variety once I'm in control

Plus the fact that the stats are all super-granular and the point gain is really slow means that to the extent that it is possible to develop a specific style, it's something you'll have to grind a lot for, and you won't be able to notice the changes outside of a few major breakpoints like reversal thresholds. The whole thing is just super homogenized from a functional level, to the extent that the most fun I've had playing it with a friend is when we played out our fantasy booking scenarios on his Universe Mode and worked with each other to put together a PWG-assed finishing sequence for Rollins vs. Neville. That meant ignoring a bunch of game mechanics in favor of actually calling the spots during the match, and while it's nice that the game gave us the tools for that, it's pretty far from what most folks are hoping for and expecting out of a wrestling game

The more I think about it, a lot of the problem especially in MyCareer is that aesthetic customization is all incredibly front-loaded, like you have hours worth of appearance and moveset customization to get through before you really get started... but then mechanical customization comes at a snail's pace. So I have hours worth of gameplay where I've made this 6'8", 300 lb. hulk of a man who comes to the ring sporting a cop mustache and hakama pants, but then in gameplay terms I'm at a disadvantage if I try to stand and trade shots with Tyler Breeze. My ridiculous indie hoss offense is there, with all the deadlifts and dangerous release suplexes and elaborate powerbombs, but it feels generic because the game's mechanics have inherently made it generic

I wonder if they're better off doing some kind of UFC 2 thing with MyCareer going forward? Where like, you graduate from wrestling school and choose a pack of basic moves corresponding to a style, and like those are what you learned at the Performance Center. And then as you progress you can learn new moves that are not only more flashy and memorable, but that have mechanical benefits attached to them. I think it'd do a lot to break up the sense of monotony in the game's progression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I like it the way it is because I am not playing to win but to have 5 star matches.

I just wish it was like the old AKI games where you could always kick out when you wanted to.