Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Literally Kermit posted:

We did use several other Frogs who had nothing to do with the stream to drop UAS at the same target station while half the system was trying to kill Ed. Plus I sold mine.

Ed was blown up before he could sell his but that is okay I was going to say he delivered them anyway.

Nicely done. I loved how everyone in the chat was screaming "Terrorist!" at the DF. Its amazing how many people can hate fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
"Change of plans Ed, we're going to give you a five minute start and then hunt you for sport."

Holy poo poo Kermit, that was a thing of beauty.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Slaves are back on the market in Robigo.

v0v

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

nightwisher posted:

Frontier will live and die based off their content cycle. We've already seen a bunch of players leave the game from lack of content, the single #1 biggest complaint most people seem to have with Elite so far. So yeah I think it's pretty concerning when their primary method of generating revenue are content expansions, and those expansions are encountering big delays.

The thing I'm more annoyed with is the lack of bugfixes until then more than anything. That and the completely lovely support I got from them in regards to their p2p system just flat out not working for Australians.

I wonder about the player base as I can never find a CQC match anymore.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

"Change of plans Ed, we're going to give you a five minute start and then hunt you for sport."

Holy poo poo Kermit, that was a thing of beauty.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Hahaha, that's beautiful

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

It's that amazing mix of utter bewilderment and determination to be a good sport.
Love it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Bookmarks update looks rad.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
I am getting a hankering for space madness. Is there a good guide for exploration ships and min/maxing jump ranges.

Currently in a python outfitted for combat.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Jeesis posted:

I am getting a hankering for space madness. Is there a good guide for exploration ships and min/maxing jump ranges.

Currently in a python outfitted for combat.

Your best bet is going to be either an asp or an anaconda, but you can explore in literally anything. When looking at a ship in https://coriolis.io, click the slider bars option at the top right of the section labeled "Standard," select "Explorer," and it will give you a quick and dirty jump-range-optimized fit for that ship, perfect for non-Horizons space madness. Fill any remaining empty slots with offline AMFUs for zero-weight damage dampening (heat damage gets spread across all modules). You can drop the shield also if you aren't landing on anything, your call.

If you want to land on things (which I highly recommend) take the default Coriolis fit, max the power distributor, and add SRV bays to taste. Don't make my mistake and max the thrusters as well, it makes very little difference in atmospheric handling and adds a hefty amount of weight. Just keep the downgraded thrusters and avoid high gravity planets, without practice they'll wreck you either way

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 4, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Sylink posted:

I wonder about the player base as I can never find a CQC match anymore.

CQC probably isn't the best metric to gauge active playercount, the combination of P2P bugs and little incentive to bother competing probably pushes a lot of people away from the mode. It was a nice idea, but CQC doesn't have anything substantial in it and the rewards you earn are a joke.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
You want an Asp. Depending on your budget, you could get something like this.

Add some weapons if you want safety getting out of the bubble (or from Thargoids), buy the best fuel scoop you can afford, and add auto-repair/heat sinks to taste. Those last items are basically for when you doze off and crash into a sun or warp out in the middle of a star, so depending on how long you want to be out in the deep, they're not absolutely essential but very handy now that you can repair your canopy.

Everything else is dead weight, so stick to class D (the lightest) and downsize the power plant and power distributor to fit.

If an Asp is out of your price range, you can do the same exercise with something smaller, like a Diamondback Explorer, or if you're :mitt:, you can get another couple of light years out of an Anaconda.

edit: Oh yeah, plus whatever rovers you want to take out for a spin.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 4, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

FronzelNeekburm posted:

You want an Asp. Depending on your budget, you could get something like this.

Add some weapons if you want safety getting out of the bubble (or from Thargoids), buy the best fuel scoop you can afford, and add auto-repair/heat sinks to taste. Those last items are basically for when you doze off and crash into a sun or warp out in the middle of a star, so depending on how long you want to be out in the deep, they're not absolutely essential but very handy now that you can repair your canopy.

Everything else is dead weight, so stick to class D (the lightest) and downsize the power plant and power distributor to fit.

If an Asp is out of your price range, you can do the same exercise with something smaller, like a Diamondback Explorer, or if you're :mitt:, you can get another couple of light years out of an Anaconda.

edit: Oh yeah, plus whatever rovers you want to take out for a spin.

Move the shield to a class 3 slot since you're only using that size anyway, and use the class 5 for either a double SRV bay (you WILL lose at least one, especially if this is your first time) or a more effective AFMU if you're not doing landings. And don't fit weapons, they're heavy and you'll get waxed trying to fight things running only a 3D shield, it's there for scrapes against planetary surfaces and that's all. There are no Thargoids until the end of the year at earliest, so once you're 500ly outside of the bubble you won't see a single interdiction, and even the ones within that range are rare and easily escapable.

Here is my personal ideal build, which I wish I had fit for Distant Worlds instead of the fatty fat fat fat ship I built when I thought thrusters mattered (thanks reddit). :cripes: Boost capability can be a literal lifesaver in-atmosphere, and that fit achieves it for a whopping 1.5T extra weight. It has enough range to make it across the Abyss and back un-boosted, if you jump on fumes. You won't be doing that on your first journey, but the point I'm getting at is 36ly range on a midrange ship that can land on things and carries everything you might need is loving great. If you're boring and don't want to land on things, you can do this instead to get your max range up to 37.5. And as FronzelNeekburm said, if you're a space romney you can gain a few extra lightyears and/or SRVs by copying either concept onto an anaconda.

You'll notice I'm using a 2A power plant on both fits to save some extra weight. That's because AMFUs only need to be powered on to repair, and can be offlined the rest of the time (pro-tip: to online your AMFU, shut off anything but thrusters. I found out the hard way that disabling thrusters in supercruise pulls you violently from it, even though supercruise doesn't technically use thrusters). Similarly, vehicle bays do not need to be powered ever. Your ship can mystically deploy and retrieve the SRV, perform synthesis, and perform cargo transfers without any power.

Edit: the cargo racks on both fits I linked do not absorb heat damage and are totally optional fun. If you don't want to bring back escape pods of fallen explorers and other useless poo poo from POIs, you can replace them with more AFMUs. A second AFMU on the Horizons fit will give you the minor luxury of being able to repair the first, and soak a bit more heat. On the non-Horizons fit, more AFMUs means more hp you can repair before returning, since without landing you don't have the option to refill yours. If you're nervous about damage you can go ham and drop the docking computer as well as the cargo rack. Lots of people still do.

That's everything I've got, young goonsplorer. Go forth and embrace the space madness. Become one with space. Friendship Drive charging...

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 5, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Is it wrong to downgrade the Fuel scoop to 6C for a exploration build? I don't feel comfortable spending more than everything else the ship is worth just to spend a little less time scooping

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

IAmTheRad posted:

Is it wrong to downgrade the Fuel scoop to 6C for a exploration build? I don't feel comfortable spending more than everything else the ship is worth just to spend a little less time scooping

I mean, the 6A scoop is reallyreallyreally nice, but whatever works will be fine. Make sure you have an A-Rated power plant and you can pretty much just park it and refuel for however long.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I think it depends on your trip. If you're exploring the rim or staying closer to the bubble, there are a lot of brown dwarves and you're only scooping every few jumps, and you're going to notice the difference between scoops when you're refilling half a tank or more. Closer to the core though, almost all the stars are scoopable and you're just doing drive by top offs where the scoop finishes well before you leave the sun's range. In those regions I think you could totally drop the scoop down to a 5a and use the 6 slot for a triple SRV Bay instead. I've thought about it more than once. Just keep in mind it is almost double the refuel time and refueling is something you'll be doing a lot.

Edit: somehow my links got hosed up while making edits on mobile and the "personal ideal fit" in my big spergpost was a terrible aberration. It's fixed now.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 5, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I use 6A scoops for my shadow missipn runs, cuts down the time spent refueling enough that you're full and warping again in 15 seconds or so.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Akion posted:

I mean, the 6A scoop is reallyreallyreally nice, but whatever works will be fine. Make sure you have an A-Rated power plant and you can pretty much just park it and refuel for however long.

Yeah, if you're exploring, it's arguably easier to just splash out on the plant instead of the scoop — you'll spend a lot of time looking at the map, and parking the ship a closer (or just a bit more sloppily) to a star while the higher-rated plant stays cool is almost a better use of both time and credits.

Saving a bit of weight because you can run with an even smaller plant is an added bonus.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Tippis posted:

Yeah, if you're exploring, it's arguably easier to just splash out on the plant instead of the scoop — you'll spend a lot of time looking at the map, and parking the ship a closer (or just a bit more sloppily) to a star while the higher-rated plant stays cool is almost a better use of both time and credits.

Saving a bit of weight because you can run with an even smaller plant is an added bonus.

Unless you're maxing out your thrusters you can already run the smallest class plant regardless of which scoop you use, with very minimal power management. And you should be running an A grade plant no matter what class it is, so cooling isn't much of a factor in scoop choice. I said it clumsily before, but if you need to cut costs rather than run a 6C scoop I would run a 5A (55 second refuel vs 51 second), and put the asp's size 6 slot to real use for something else.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

nightwisher posted:

CQC probably isn't the best metric to gauge active playercount, the combination of P2P bugs and little incentive to bother competing probably pushes a lot of people away from the mode. It was a nice idea, but CQC doesn't have anything substantial in it and the rewards you earn are a joke.

the rewards suck, but goddamn if it isn't fun to form a squad with Madcat, DBB and Dark Off and gently caress poo poo up in there.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
After pricing it all out, I managed to purchase a 6A Fuel Scoop. Thank goodness for Yong-Mart discounts.

Exploring can be worth it. At least to get your name somewhere in the game. If someone else visits this system, you will see my name.

Yes I know about the transparency. Shift+F12 is my steam take screenshot button.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 5, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

After pricing it all out, I managed to purchase a 6A Fuel Scoop. Thank goodness for Yong-Mart discounts.

Exploring can be worth it. At least to get your name somewhere in the game. If someone else visits this system, you will see my name.

Yes I know about the transparency. Shift+F12 is my steam take screenshot button.

Congrats! Thanks for posting that, I've been curious if the game would tell me what I got my name on when I cashed in. I'll hopefully be getting a whole mess of those if I make it back to the bubble alive

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Efexeye posted:

Bookmarks update looks rad.
Yeah no kidding. Newsletter.
That's a serious QOL update (people were complaining about it only a few pages back I seem to think?) Would make exploring and trading a heck of a lot more appealing for one thing - and stuff like this is gonna be needed in VR where you can't just keep a notepad by your keyboard or alt-tab to keep track of poo poo.

They're adding items and stuff as rewards for missions too, finally. And looks like they may be scaling credit rewards a bit better based on difficulty.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Newsletter posted:

Along with the changes mentioned we’re conducting a pass through the mission templates to make them more reliable and address issues seen in the current build.
…so salvage missions will no longer randomly fail when you're on approach to the landing pad with a hold full of all the required goods and a solid 2h+ left on the clock? :v:

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

nightwisher posted:

Just a heads up, the next content patch (The Engineers) has been delayed to sometime in June, which makes me really skeptical they'll get multicrew or ship launched fighters in before 2017. In addition, they're server-side disabling some of the broken missions until the next patch. No bug fixes til June at the earliest.

Horizons continues to be excellent value for money :v:

Frontier have actually said the exact opposite, there will be multiple patches and bug fixes before Engineers drop.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

1500 posted:

Frontier have actually said the exact opposite, there will be multiple patches and bug fixes before Engineers drop.

Yes, but how are we supposed to freak out if we don't go by speculations posted on the Frontier forum and Reddit by people unconnected with the development process?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Mike the TV posted:

Yes, but how are we supposed to freak out if we don't go by speculations posted on the Frontier forum and Reddit by people unconnected with the development process?

Right carry on.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I have this game and I swear nothing happens.

I load it up I'm in my ship.

And like. I sail along for a while. Pretty stars, that's it.

There's more to it, right? It's open world.

I drift, forever alone.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Have you tried turning on your warp drive?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

That's another thing, the drat controls are complex.

But I think I did turn it on once. It gets all fast and woosh.

But still. Nothing. I'm just in space.

I know space is big and the distances between planets are huge but...

Do me a favour. Treat me like an idiot.

Tell me what keys to press and for how long so things happen. I can't just shoot lasers into space like some mad drunk lonely crazy person.

I am not friends with this game. It's like open world, to the nth level!

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

ZoDiAC_ posted:

That's another thing, the drat controls are complex.

But I think I did turn it on once. It gets all fast and woosh.

But still. Nothing. I'm just in space.

I know space is big and the distances between planets are huge but...

Do me a favour. Treat me like an idiot.

Tell me what keys to press and for how long so things happen. I can't just shoot lasers into space like some mad drunk lonely crazy person.

I am not friends with this game. It's like open world, to the nth level!

Do the tutorials.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I've read FAQs. I know it's meant to be a sim, but it's very dense.

Twenty minutes of real time is reasonable I think, to expect something to happen.

It sounds gorgeous, complex. I hear tales, I've seen adverts.

But I've dumped hours into this game and nothing.

I swear guys. You'll accuse me of trolling. But I just don't get it.

I'm in my ship. I go forwards. Oh, hey, a planet. Half an hour later? Nothing changes. The odd spooky sound.

I can already feel you guys copying my posts into elite.txt

Someone write me up a 'how to have fun in Elite'.

I'm a scotch away from leaving a book on the keys and just Frapsing my gameplay of drifting forever. It's an empty universe. I thought you could land on planets?

I just float. The reddit flamewars are baffling to me, people arguing about a game I simply do not experience. How long, reasonably, should I dedicate to the game for something to occur?

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 6, 2016

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

A good goal to set would be to buy a better ship. Dock at a station and take a bulletin board mission, for starters. Your goal is pretty much to earn money, and you should figure out how you want to before you do anything else

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

As far as I understand I need to be able to interact with the game in some way to change ships.

So I'm starting in some lovely cruiser, I get that. I suppose I can't land on planets yet.

I can't even get to planets.

My goal so far is, experience anything that isn't sitting in a ship!

Never mind guys. It seems like a grind I am not cut out for.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
If you're just starting, the best strategy is running rares until your eyes bleed, then use your profits to get to Robigo and board-scum until you have the urge to slit your wrists. After your first hundred million, you can buy a Type-9 and trade imperial slaves until you hate life itself. Your first billion is a cake-walk of hundreds of hours of grinding and then you've beaten the game.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Yeesh. So if I'm giving it half an hour and quitting I'm basically not achieving anything? It's super slow paced?

I understand you are mentioning what I will call game lore.

I'm not there yet. I just drift. I seem to run out of fuel before I reach any destination.

I think I need to set a huge chunk of time aside and treat this like I was actually learning a new skill.

That level of time sink?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Hey, it sounds like you're flailing at the basic level of "how to make ship go" so go do the tutorials instead of these weird posts.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

"go do tutorials for $60 game you've played the poo poo out of".

Well, I do see why you say my posts are weird. I'm just trying to be descriptive.

Ship does go, but nowhere special.

Back to tutorial ZoDiAC go!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

there's no big splashy storyline with cutscenes to follow homes, space games are sort of like that, you spend the first couple dozen hours learning not to kill yourself and then build from there. it's the nature of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

ZoDiAC_ posted:

"go do tutorials for $60 game you've played the poo poo out of".

Well, I do see why you say my posts are weird. I'm just trying to be descriptive.

Ship does go, but nowhere special.

Back to tutorial ZoDiAC go!

Learn how to fly then the game will be more fun. Stop bitching until you do those.

• Locked thread