Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ChickenWing posted:

literally every time I am asked for a doctor's note I ask how I'll be reimbursed for the $50 it costs. Generally the response is mumblemumble just dont get sick again mumble

Next time you're sick, just go into the boss's office and cough all over him and everything in the room repeatedly. I bet you won't get hassled for staying home while ill ever again! Maybe I'm more of a germophobe than most, but I would love nothing more than for every person to avoid me every time they even thought they might have a cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
the boss won't care, and if he got sick he'd just take sick days and he doesn't need a note

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

Next time you're sick, just go into the boss's office and cough all over him and everything in the room repeatedly. I bet you won't get hassled for staying home while ill ever again! Maybe I'm more of a germophobe than most, but I would love nothing more than for every person to avoid me every time they even thought they might have a cold.

If you show up to work sick, I'm taking one of your sick days and going home.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
good management will recognize that people coming in sick will just get others sick and you'll lose more man hours, we tell people to just stay home if they're sick

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

jm20 posted:

We need quality jobs for every joe lumberjack and to end some of this bullshit part time forever business.

I think the long term trends are indicating that those days are behind us for good. Globalization, automation, inequality, population growth, etc. The whole perpetual race to the bottom combined with the assumption/mandate of continual growth of profits, year after year after year.

There just aren't going to be enough quality jobs to go around for every joe and jane to live comfortable and fulfilling lives off of.

Which is why we are going to need a basic income if we want to make our lovely dystopian future somewhat less lovely and dystopian.

I know what I'm talking about because I bought an egg McMuffin from a robot this morning.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Do it ironically posted:

good management will recognize that people coming in sick will just get others sick and you'll lose more man hours, we tell people to just stay home if they're sick

good management is also alarmingly rare

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I single handedly brought one if the main Ontario MOH call centers to its knees by spreading a really bad cold. I ran out of sick days and when I warned my boss that it was a bad idea for me to go from PC to PC running some update that could have waited a week he told me to do it anyway and a quarter of the call center got sick. and the place was just big enough that some people would catch it two or three times as it wormed it's way back and forth.

That was a great winter.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Why does one of the main call centers for the Ontario MOH require manual PC by PC deployment of an update?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

Why does one of the main call centers for the Ontario MOH require manual PC by PC deployment of an update?

Because my boss was a loving douchebag little tin pot dictator who bullied his way in to being able to run IT in that branch mostly independent from the rest of MOHLTC.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Your tax dollars at work, folks.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Because my boss was a loving douchebag little tin pot dictator who bullied his way in to being able to run IT in that branch mostly independent from the rest of MOHLTC.

So like most IT management then

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I guess the Liberals tabled the C-24 changes today and they are as promised so chalk a point up to libs not libbing? Or does that still count as libbing?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

ChickenWing posted:

literally every time I am asked for a doctor's note I ask how I'll be reimbursed for the $50 it costs. Generally the response is mumblemumble just dont get sick again mumble
All y'all have rear end in a top hat doctors if they're charging for sick notes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Albino Squirrel posted:

All y'all have rear end in a top hat doctors if they're charging for sick notes.

I've never been in a doctor's office that didn't have a huge sign saying sick notes cost $20-50 and that the entire policy is a stupid waste of time and money and should be illegal.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

I guess the Liberals tabled the C-24 changes today and they are as promised so chalk a point up to libs not libbing? Or does that still count as libbing?

Instead of stripping citizenship from single male refugee citizens who commit terrorist acts, we just don't issue citizenship at all to single male refugees now. Huge improvement. #realchange. Sunny ways.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Slightly Toasted posted:

So like most IT management then

No this guy was a special form of rear end in a top hat, even the rest of management despised him.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"I had to get out of bed to go sit in a public waiting space, then speak face-to-face with a doctor who agrees that my cold symptoms are symptoms of a probably contagious cold, then wrote me a permission slip so I, an adult, could stay home instead of taking my disease to work" is a sentence built almost entirely out of stupidity and doctors are right to resist any part of it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

People are literally calling Trudeau a treasonous traitor who should be hung because of this :psyduck:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ikantski posted:

Instead of stripping citizenship from single male refugee citizens

And, you know, born-heres who do things the government defines as terrorism or whatever other burdens they wanna put on us second-class folk. Single male refugees are a very small part of that group.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

CLAM DOWN posted:

People are literally calling Trudeau a treasonous traitor who should be hung because of this :psyduck:

welcome to my day answering phones and emails so far.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

And, you know, born-heres who do things the government defines as terrorism or whatever other burdens they wanna put on us second-class folk. Single male refugees are a very small part of that group.

So you'd be okay with it if it only applied to foreign born refugees who committed only the most universally heinous acts of terrorism?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

There is only one kind of citizenship and unless you lied to get it then the government shouldn't be able to take it away from you.

Trying to create an underclass based on refugee status or eligibility for dual citizenship or whatever other garbage they want to hang from their bigoted coatrack is going to catch people in a net that have no business being there and it was stupid of the cons to try it.

e: Also, "You are a terrorist so we're going to send you back to Terroristland" is really, really dumb.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

"I had to get out of bed to go sit in a public waiting space, then speak face-to-face with a doctor who agrees that my cold symptoms are symptoms of a probably contagious cold, then wrote me a permission slip so I, an adult, could stay home instead of taking my disease to work" is a sentence built almost entirely out of stupidity and doctors are right to resist any part of it.

Yup, exactly.

"Plus I got to take the spot of someone who might actually need it, and spread my cold germs around an area where people are already generally pretty vulnerable to diseases."

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

EvilJoven posted:

some people would catch it two or three times as it wormed it's way back and forth.

that's... not possible

not for a viral infection at least

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

So you'd be okay with it if it only applied to foreign born refugees who committed only the most universally heinous acts of terrorism?

What about if we just decided to not try them on charges at all and just deport them? Don't forget that gem of a policy.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

What about if we just decided to not try them on charges at all and just deport them? Don't forget that gem of a policy.

I'm not defending C-24, just trying to reconcile a gap in Liberal principles. To give citizenship, it's principled to discriminate based on gender and sexual preference. To revoke citizenship, it's unprincipled to discriminate by crime committed.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

JawKnee posted:

that's... not possible

not for a viral infection at least

Ya IDK wtf happened with that all I know is after I did those updates p much everyone got sick once and quite a few got sick two or three times.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
That's cool the NDP in Alberta is running a deficit of 10.4 billion dollars maybe more, nothing like running a debt of more than 10 billion with a population of 4 million guess we will give Ontario a run for their money, got to pay those public sector workers.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Meanwhile in Alberta

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/albertas-fiscal-update-difficult-choices-ahead-1.3463051?cmp=rss

Alberta's fiscal update: Difficult choices ahead

'If any province is capable of absorbing such a massive shock, Alberta is'

The near term

When asked directly about how big next year's deficit will be, Minister Ceci said it will be "a lot; a hell of a lot." Specifically, he pinned it at "$5 billion more than we previously forecast."

Though he didn't say it out loud, that's $10.4 billion.

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/economics-future-recession-downturn-1.3401013

Both the PC budget plan in March 2015 and the NDP budget in October 2015 had rosy oil price forecasts. The NDP budget, for example, forecasts oil prices averaging $57 US a barrel in 2016 and $67 in 2017. The government is not alone.

Do it ironically posted:

That's cool the NDP in Alberta is running a deficit of 10.4 billion dollars maybe more, nothing like running a debt of more than 10 billion with a population of 4 million guess we will give Ontario a run for their money, got to pay those public sector workers.

efb <:mad:>

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Do it ironically posted:

What do you think they should do instead? I'm obviously not asking for a precise budget but just off-the-cuff, what you your preferred response be?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Meanwhile in Calgary, public consultation meetings on the SW Transitway have been cancelled because of threats to city employees. From what I can tell, the small group of people staunchly opposed to this are upset that transit might bring poor people to their neighbourhoods, and are loving livid about that. And everyone knows public transit only creates congestion.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nenshi-reacts-southwest-rapid-transit-meeting-1.3462880

quote:

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi furiously responded to a public meeting held Tuesday evening on the city's southwest rapid-transit project, saying there will be no future public meetings after city staff were threatened and abused by a small fringe group of opponents.

The mayor hastily called a news conference Wednesday afternoon after he received feedback from city staffers on how the meeting went.

"I am extraordinarily disappointed," Nenshi said, who was visibly upset.

"Last night I understand the discussion went far beyond civil discourse. There was yelling, there was swearing, there was pushing and shoving, there were incidents of physical assaults on city staff, there were threats of violence and yes, there was a death threat."

He said feedback he received from staff this morning was disheartening.

"Citizens in attendance at last night's event were prevented from having meaning conversations with city staff due to the actions of other citizens. With that, and given there has been a history of bad behaviour on this file, I have personally suggested that all face-to-face engagement on this particular topic be discontinued," Nenshi said.

"We will have no more open houses."

Nenshi attributes the actions to a "tiny fringe group" of about 10 to 15 people, who are part of the Ready to Engage group that opposes the project.

The southwest bus rapid transit (BRT) proposal is a 22-kilometre bus route from Woodbine to the downtown core. It's designed to take some pressure off of the south leg of the LRT by increasing bus usage. Some of the plan includes dedicated bus lanes to reduce traffic congestion in peak times.

The mayor said public engagement would continue, and in fact be ramped up, but in an online capacity.

The project goes right through Ward 11 and Coun. Brian Pincott, who represents the area, says last night's meeting "was one of the worst meetings I have ever been at."

He said the meeting punctuates a frustrating experience for him.

"This has been for me personally, about two months of ongoing belligerence, two months of cutting through misinformation and half-truths."

Rick Donkers ( :v: ) is with the group that is opposed to the project.

"Ready to Engage is not anti-transit," he said following the mayor's remarks.

"We are against the city wasting millions of dollars on a project that hasn't been justified and it is the citizens of Calgary who are asking these questions — and now, we are being portrayed as thugs?"

"It is reprehensible," Donkers said.

Nenshi noted the irony of responding to the meeting on Pink Shirt Day, a national anti-bullying initiative.

"We need to protect our entire community from bullies," Nenshi said.

"We need to name and shame bullying when we see it and what we saw last night was bullying of other citizens and bullying of people who are dedicated public servants."

He said incidents from Tuesday's meetings are under investigation to determine whether charges should be laid.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Do it ironically posted:

It's almost like Alberta should have had a more reasonable taxation system that is less sensitive to resource prices, while putting resource dollars into a fund for major projects and to collect interest that could be used to fund operating cost

A bit late for that, now, though.

Now you either borrow money, jack up taxes without taking the time to figure out how to do it, or cut government spending and further spiral the economy.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Whatever the intent of the c-24 changes, the optics of headlines like "CANADA OFFERS CITIZENSHIP TO TERRORISTS" are awful.

They better come up with legal weed soon people need something to help calm down

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Helsing posted:

What do you think they should do instead? I'm obviously not asking for a precise budget but just off-the-cuff, what you your preferred response be?

Not that it matters because I'm probably going to be let go like most other people and then I'll move to another province, but the NDP hasn't done anything to support the private sector (mainly oil and gas) and all of the people losing jobs when there were opportunities to do so, as in give incentives on the short term as part of the royalty review till oil is more stable, push for an increased use of natural gas in Alberta, which we have an abundance of.

Cut public sector salaries and layoff superfluous positions there are tens of thousands of jobs gone and tax won't come in from them supporting a high paid public sector isn't feasible anymore.

To be honest I'm just waiting for a severance package like a lot of people then I'm going to apply for government engineering positions in other provinces I think it's time for me the gently caress the dog like others, there's no point in working hard I've realised when you can half rear end a pension and vacation days from the government.

Most people I know who actually still have jobs have taken huge pay cuts, I personally have taken 30% paycut in the last year and a half, to hear the NDP talk about not freezing public sector salaries or thinking about lowering them isn't going to do them any favours.

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 25, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How could they "support" the private sector? What could they have done differently that would have had concrete results, don't give us any bullshit about "uncertainty". Alberta's economy is in the toilet because oil prices are in the toilet, and their provincial finances are in the toilet because of decades of conservative economic ideology (which is an ideology only suitable for toilets)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's a race! To the bottom!

First one there gets to talk about how hard they work vs everyone else.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fire the lazy public servants so that you subsidize the hard-working company men.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Baronjutter posted:

How could they "support" the private sector? What could they have done differently that would have had concrete results, don't give us any bullshit about "uncertainty". Alberta's economy is in the toilet because oil prices are in the toilet, and their provincial finances are in the toilet because of decades of conservative economic ideology (which is an ideology only suitable for toilets)

Hand out government contracts for things that would benefit the province like say land reclamation, abandoning orphan wells, groundwater testing, actual things that need to be done that would give the smaller companies and joe vac truck owner a job in the meanwhile. I've seen one government contract come through the pipeline and it was hilarious in how many companies tendered for it because there's no work

Jordan7hm posted:

Fire the lazy public servants so that you subsidize the hard-working company men.

I absolutely believe this is a thing and am jealous of my friends who work for the CRA in Calgary in how little work they actually have to do, and I will be one of them eventually.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I didn't realize the CRA hired engineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
What departments do you feel are superfluous?