Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm very happy to read an old school flamewar, I was missing the sight of two monkeys screeching and flinging poo poo at each other. God bless these forums for keeping the discussion as dated as the UI!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Esquiring/status/1264380250877640705

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

what did nordvpn say, they've already deleted it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Quoted tweet is gone.

May I take this as an opportunity to ask that people take a picture of what they wanna show off, and attach or link it in the post?
You don't even need an image editing program to just crop the image, that can be done on imgur or other hosting sites.
You can even press F11 to fullscreen your browser - ie. practice OPSEC if you're worried about the cropping being done badly, leaving the original image on the server.

Gonna be doing this myself, naturally.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
It was something about how the big players like eBay run portscans. None of it made any sense at all.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The basic thrust was that NordVPN could protect you by using a browser extension or some poo poo like that. Because those large, scary corporations will totally scan your computer "illegally". The implication being when you visit their site with your browser, they are going to hoover up all the information they can get by hook or crook.

It was basically dubious techno babble designed to scare rubes into using their product.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

all of that happens, the issue is that a browser extension won't stop it

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Do they mean the thing where websites do a portscan of localhost via inpage javascript for unique identifier purposes? I can see there being some value in blocking that.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

How about this guy in the replies

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The Infosec Thread: Now I'm entrapped in various crimes spanning 18 years

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

D. Ebdrup posted:

Quoted tweet is gone.

May I take this as an opportunity to ask that people take a picture of what they wanna show off, and attach or link it in the post?
You don't even need an image editing program to just crop the image, that can be done on imgur or other hosting sites.
You can even press F11 to fullscreen your browser - ie. practice OPSEC if you're worried about the cropping being done badly, leaving the original image on the server.

Gonna be doing this myself, naturally.

I usually do screencap with Snipping Tool, sorry I missed this one. :shrug:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

azurite posted:

How about this guy in the replies

Posting markov chain twitter accounts is cheating

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Volmarias posted:

Posting markov chain twitter accounts is cheating

Markov chains are two thousand and late. Anyone can spin up GPT-2 on their home computer and start spitting these takes out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Today's winner in "don't store your passwords in cleartext, what is this, 1965" is .... Livejournal!

And of course a lot of us (shame on us, I admit it) reused passwords from LJ to Dreamwidth, so those are compromised too. This breach is especially bad because it's guaranteed to lead to doxxing lots of people who used pseudonyms to protect their journals from their families/friends/would-be employers.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wow, glad I didn't follow through on making one as an exercise in retro nostalgia.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I can't even remember what email address I used for LJ. I do remember manually deleting all my poo poo entry by entry. Probably the only ones that will effected by this are the ones that posted nudes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I got an email from the pwned site and I was like.. “wait, I have a livejournal?”

Turns out it was just a bunch of dead photobucket photos of a hockey game I played in .. from like 2005. I don’t think I even bothered changing my password, even knowing it was compromised.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Markov chains are two thousand and late. Anyone can spin up GPT-2 on their home computer and start spitting these takes out.

even better, when reddit did its imposter april fools, I just recorded all the data and now randomly post it to twitter: https://twitter.com/BotImposter

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to get a VPN for my personal connection. I know it's not the be-all and end-all of privacy, and you're just having to move who has the information about your browsing from your ISP to your VPN. Is there a recommended VPN to use? Or any particular attributes you should examine on VPNs for the more trustworthy ones?

My roommate and I have gigabit fiber, and while money definitely is an object, I don't mind paying a bit more for a better service.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Thanatosian posted:

I'm looking to get a VPN for my personal connection. I know it's not the be-all and end-all of privacy, and you're just having to move who has the information about your browsing from your ISP to your VPN. Is there a recommended VPN to use? Or any particular attributes you should examine on VPNs for the more trustworthy ones?

My roommate and I have gigabit fiber, and while money definitely is an object, I don't mind paying a bit more for a better service.

Mullvad, because they get just about everything right that you could ask for, privacy-wise: https://thatoneprivacysite.net/blog/mullvad-review/ That review is now a few years old, but I have yet to have any issues at all with their service and their blog still sounds to me like they're ideological privacy purists.

Runner-up: ProtonVPN. I have a lot less experience using this one but they do seem to know their poo poo, and their encrypted email service is very good.

e: Just saw the mention of gigabit fiber. I certainly can't speak to that kind of speed, but I can usually max out my 100-megabit cable modem through a Mullvad host.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 2, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Depends on what you're using it for.

Mullvad is the only good commercial VPN, but if you are just trying to spoof location for Netflix, you can also use Algo. If you want security then just use Tor; VPNs are not for that.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Mullvad also supports Wireguard, which is nice if you want to run it on your phone/router/raspberry pi/whatever.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

you can mosdef saturate a gbit link through mullvad

calypsosaphire
May 31, 2020

by Nyc_Tattoo
mod edit: no

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 4, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

calypsosaphire posted:

U29tZSBvZiB5b3UgbWF5IGZpbmQgb3VyIGV4ZXJjaXNlcyBlYXN5IHRvIG5hdmlnYXRlLiBTb21lIG9mIHlvdSBtYXkgZmluZCB0aGVtIGltcG9zc2libGUuIFRoZSBnb2FsIGlzIG5vdCBjb21wbGV0aW9uLiBUaGUgZXhlcmNpc2UgaXMgbm90IHB1enpsZSBzb2x2aW5nIGFuZCBoYXNoIGJyZWFraW5nLiBUaGUgb2JqZWN0aXZlIGlzIHRvIG9wZXJhdGUgaW4gdGhlIG9wZW4sIGZvciBwcm9jZXNzZXMgdGhhdCBhcmUgY2xvc2VkLiBmMmQ2NGFkOTcwMzMwNzRl

how did you find out my SA password

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

please don't post my mother's maiden name

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jeoh posted:

please don't post my mother's maiden name

Why is your mother's maiden name Clam's password?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Using your own mother's maiden name is rookie poo poo, the real pros use someone elses for extra security.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

:smugmrgw:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trapick posted:

Using your own mother's maiden name is rookie poo poo, the real pros use someone elses for extra security.

drat straight, and it's super convenient you can get big lists of them in these random pastebins I found

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

calypsosaphire posted:

U29tZSBvZiB5b3UgbWF5IGZpbmQgb3VyIGV4ZXJjaXNlcyBlYXN5IHRvIG5hdmlnYXRlLiBTb21lIG9mIHlvdSBtYXkgZmluZCB0aGVtIGltcG9zc2libGUuIFRoZSBnb2FsIGlzIG5vdCBjb21wbGV0aW9uLiBUaGUgZXhlcmNpc2UgaXMgbm90IHB1enpsZSBzb2x2aW5nIGFuZCBoYXNoIGJyZWFraW5nLiBUaGUgb2JqZWN0aXZlIGlzIHRvIG9wZXJhdGUgaW4gdGhlIG9wZW4sIGZvciBwcm9jZXNzZXMgdGhhdCBhcmUgY2xvc2VkLiBmMmQ2NGFkOTcwMzMwNzRl

Please fix the following form errors and re-submit:
• Your password must not exceed 8 characters

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Please fix the following form errors and re-submit:
• Your password must not exceed 8 characters

I once had to have a bank password that was exactly 8 characters long. No more, no less.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

NPR Journalizard posted:

I once had to have a bank password that was exactly 8 characters long. No more, no less.

That is when you are working with old as poo poo databases with a fixed width on the field, if they are limiting you to 8char, that means /somewhere/ can't take a password longer then that, OR is storing it in the clear, OR its like DES and can only store 8chars

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A lot of government systems are the same way. I know when I was doing subcontracting work, the overall system we had to log into to manage our account was length of 8 exactly, alphanumeric only. No special characters.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

calypsosaphire posted:

Oh great, did someone make a FUSE filesystem out of SA posts?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It's for an ARG and I really wish the clues would drop at 4pm on a Friday instead of when I'm totally slammed at work. I appreciate your effort there calypsosaphire, just so busy. :(

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

bull3964 posted:

A lot of government systems are the same way. I know when I was doing subcontracting work, the overall system we had to log into to manage our account was length of 8 exactly, alphanumeric only. No special characters.

that's oracle, baby!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Cover your NX-OS: https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/cisco-warns-these-nexus-switches-have-been-hit-by-a-serious-security-flaw/
https://github.com/CERTCC/PoC-Exploits/blob/master/cve-2020-10136/README.md

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Sirotan posted:

It's for an ARG and I really wish the clues would drop at 4pm on a Friday instead of when I'm totally slammed at work. I appreciate your effort there calypsosaphire, just so busy. :(

Also, if they would stop spamming other threads, it might go over better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Stop trying to make arg happen