Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

I just view him as broken by the time the game ends rather then racist.
Yeah by the end of the game 9S pretty clearly understands that androids are sentient, he's just in full-on LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU mode because revenge is all he has left to keep him going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KamikazePotato posted:

Yeah by the end of the game 9S pretty clearly understands that androids are sentient, he's just in full-on LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU mode because revenge is all he has left to keep him going.

Combine this with the stay behind ending which I think is the more thematic choice and you have a broken kid who the only thing he hates more then himself is the things that hurt the one bright spot in his life.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've been trying to get Emil* to drive in front of the Resistance Camp so I can get his weapons, but I've never seen it. In the A/B path he only appears near the desert camp. In the C/D path it looks like he follows a pre-set path around the city ruins, but it never swings by the Resistance Camp.

*fake it: are we still using spoiler tags, or has that expired?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In my experience Emil was more likely to change locations if you physically walked to another area and then came back, instead of teleporting.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Raxivace posted:

In my experience Emil was more likely to change locations if you physically walked to another area and then came back, instead of teleporting.

Is there a better point in the game to check than others (I've unlocked chapter select, of course)

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

KamikazePotato posted:

I enjoyed Route B more than Route A and never got the complaints that it was 'playing through the same thing'. You get new plot-critical scenes, new sidequests, a new playstyle, and different context for the storyline of Route A. It's only the same on the surface.

Persona 5 disappointed me honestly. Really good game but the writing was uneven and kind of bad at times.

Automata lived up to the frankly unrealistic expectations Nier 1 set for it, and I still find that shocking. I haven't played Breath of the Wild yet but that's the only thing that could possibly top Automata for my GotY right now.

Like three new plot critical scenes presented as docudumps, new "go here and kill the 5000 things" side quests, a new play style that was either a twin stick shooter or a worse version of the old one and different context that doesn't matter for 85% of it. It's the same the surface and only marginally different underneath in a way that can't even begin to justify how barely it's different.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

I've been trying to get Emil* to drive in front of the Resistance Camp so I can get his weapons, but I've never seen it. In the A/B path he only appears near the desert camp. In the C/D path it looks like he follows a pre-set path around the city ruins, but it never swings by the Resistance Camp.

*fake it: are we still using spoiler tags, or has that expired?

Keep running back and forth across the shopping center bridge. This will force him to respawn each time you do it so you can brute force an appearance at the camp.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Like three new plot critical scenes presented as docudumps, new "go here and kill the 5000 things" side quests, a new play style that was either a twin stick shooter or a worse version of the old one and different context that doesn't matter for 85% of it. It's the same the surface and only marginally different underneath in a way that can't even begin to justify how barely it's different.

The text dump scenes are a work of art, and a beautiful way to do it in a video game where you're on your second play through.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Ending E spoilers in this post.

Alright. after a good month of on/off playing, I'm done with this series since yesterday, so why is it I can't stop looking for more content ? Why can't I stop listening to the both genius OSTs ? I'm sure a thousand people asked this already, but since I gave my save to help a fellow player while wanting to replay the game to full completion, is the DLC worth it ? I heard it's only really worth it on a fresh save.

Man... And there I was, starting Automata "because it's a platinum game", I can't thank enough my friend who told me to get Nier and play it first. Like drat, finding the Gestalt reports, entering the original Library and hearing Devola and Popola finally singing the Song of the Ancients after 15 hours of me singing it in my head were awesome highlights. From my experience, I really can't tell anyone to play Automata without giving Nier a whirl first. Sure, you don't miss much, but the little you miss is REAL good.

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 22, 2017

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ledgy posted:

is the DLC worth it ? I heard it's only really worth it on a fresh save.

In terms of gameplay it's just 3 arenas with different gimmicks, not really worth the price. However, it has some pretty cool minor story stuff at the end. So if you're willing to blow $14 or however much it costs for that, yeah it's worth it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Am I a bad person for ending e spoiler putting my save in the cloud so I lost nothing?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Saagonsa posted:

In terms of gameplay it's just 3 arenas with different gimmicks, not really worth the price. However, it has some pretty cool minor story stuff at the end. So if you're willing to blow $14 or however much it costs for that, yeah it's worth it.
I liked the story bits in some of the arenas. Also the weird rear end live action music video that ends with a doll of 2B getting destroyed sure is a thing.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The DLC is totally worth it.

Okay, I just have to know- what machine body did people use to beat the forest arena? I am at level 80 and so each of the 6th arena fights were pretty dicey, so I want to know what kind of strategy worked best.

The buzzsaw stubby was the best, with huge HP, insane DPS rivaling mega-lasers, and incredible hit priority. I tried the Upright Goliath and the Reverse-Jointed Goliath, but they were respectively far too low-damage and bad at breaking shields to work well.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Hello N:A thread I am just dropping in to say I completed this game and Ending E is the best credits sequence a game thing-with-credits has had.

I didn't delete my save because I have a high completion level and want to plat first :v:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

The DLC is totally worth it.

Okay, I just have to know- what machine body did people use to beat the forest arena? I am at level 80 and so each of the 6th arena fights were pretty dicey, so I want to know what kind of strategy worked best.

The buzzsaw stubby was the best, with huge HP, insane DPS rivaling mega-lasers, and incredible hit priority. I tried the Upright Goliath and the Reverse-Jointed Goliath, but they were respectively far too low-damage and bad at breaking shields to work well.

I used the biped that dual wielded axes. Its spin attack kind of destroyed everything as long as I knew what was coming. If not, its jump spin thing did a good job of attacking things at a distance without leaving myself open

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Peel posted:

I didn't delete my save because I have a high completion level and want to plat first :v:
You can go back and do it later, just replay the final battle from chapter select and E will start again regardless of whether you pick C or D.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I do have a question popping in my head, is Automata's world more modern-looking because of the Replicants ? Am I supposed to understand civilization kept on going for a while after Nier and they built all this stuff ?

Also for that matter, I can't seem to understand where all the Replicants went. Did they somehow all die of the Black Scrawl ?

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 23, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Ledgy posted:

I do have a question popping in my head, is Automata's world more modern-looking because of the Replicants ? Am I supposed to understand civilization kept on going for a while after Nier and they built all this stuff ?

Also for that matter, I can't seem to understand where all the Replicants went. Did they somehow all die of the Black Scrawl ?

Replicants still all died over 7000 years ago. There are modern ruins because the machines/androids keep rebuilding them.

Killing Shadowlord in Nier caused all gestalts to relapse and as the result all replicants died to black scrawl eventually

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I didn't sacrifice my save because I still have more content to play even though I might not play it. I am a bad and selfish person. They should have people who didn't sacrifice their saves be antagonists in ending e.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Len posted:

Am I a bad person for ending e spoiler putting my save in the cloud so I lost nothing?

You don't have to delete your save

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The answer is Yes.

The answer is also No.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cymbal Monkey posted:

You don't have to delete your save

I was aware of that. I just didn't want to miss what happened. The girlfriend thought it was hilarious

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo you don't deserve the results unless you're willing to actually do it and you should've said no until you were ready! It's okay, I'm sure it will take many people years to muster up the courage to hit that button.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
imo its a videogame and who cares what other people do for their entertainment

"deserve" lol

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

"deserve" lol

Dᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ɢᴀᴍᴇs ᴀʀᴇ sɪʟʟʏ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴛʜɪɴɢs?

:colbert:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cephas posted:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Cephas posted:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

"deserve" lol

The whole point of doing it is that you are admitting the game is worth more than just the entertainment it provided you!

Cephas posted:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CJacobs posted:

imo you don't deserve the results unless you're willing to actually do it and you should've said no until you were ready! It's okay, I'm sure it will take many people years to muster up the courage to hit that button.

Took me a month or so.

Wanted to see all the endings first. Go into things without regret.

Can't exactly blame anyone else for waiting, but I'd suggest doing it eventually, assuming there's any appeal to the idea. Makes a nice capstone to a fine game.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Cephas posted:

This exact moment was the culmination of Yoko Taro's entire game development career. It hit me pretty hard.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I just got this game on the Steam sale. People keep mentioning all the different "endings." In a non-spoiler way, can you explain what this means? Do you need to replay the game start-to-finish like 5+ different times in order to see each ending? Or do you make progress to the ending, see "an ending", do some more stuff in-game, see "the next ending", etc.?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game has, technically speaking, 26 endings- one for each letter of the alphabet. In practice, it doesn't really and the vast majority of them are just joke endings for going against the plot or doing other silly things.

Automata only has one actual ending. Everything leading up to it though is separated into routes whose endings occupy endings A-E. You will eventually see the entire game just by progressing the story. Finish A and you go onto B, etc.

edit: As for playing the whole game five times, no, you don't have to. Parts of the story that are repeated over multiple routes are abridged for your convenience and there are different sidequests and such.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 24, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The only way you could conceivably miss any of the 5 real endings is if it doesn't occur to you, upon being presented with an extremely major two-option choice before a final boss battle, to go back and see what happens if you pick the other choice.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Even then, the game outright tells you to go back and do it. The only thing you can miss permanently in the entire game is joke ending Y, which you might want to look up if you decide to clean up all your sidequests at the end of the game.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Fun fact - as soon as the Steam sale began, Nier jumped up to the front of the Top Sellers sellers chart again.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I have no idea what I'm doing!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Lone Badger posted:

I have no idea what I'm doing!

You're playing the second best game of 2017. :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TaurusOxford posted:

You're playing the second best game of 2017. :v:

What's the best? Because Nier is my favorite so far

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Len posted:

What's the best? Because Nier is my favorite so far

Persona 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
For me Persona 5 is my number three after Automata and Breath of the Wild this year. But then again I just don't get as many kicks out of turn based RPGs