Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Didn't the Harry Potter films have a similar problem, with Neville Longbottom's actor winding up looking very un-Neville-like by the end?

Neville was a stone cold fox by the last movie and everyone had to say dialogue about how this very handsome man was lumpy and undesirable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It wasn't directly a problem for most of the young cast of Game of Thrones because they were supposed to age along with the show. It is however hilarious to see Sophie Turner quickly growing into a giant that towers over her peers.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Robobot posted:

I don't speak the language, but I understood everything he said in that video.

Stoogeism transcends both language and culture

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

A regular bunch of Darths Hideous.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

What's their podcast called?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Radio Paranoia posted:

What's their podcast called?

Barb owns

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I once had a crush on a sexy lady called Brahbrah.

E: Actually, I think it wasn't me, but the two characters from the show Flight of the Conchords (Bret and Jemaine). Still, a funny story.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 21:10 on May 30, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I unexpectedly love this.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That train should turn its highbeams off.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lobok posted:

That train should turn its highbeams off.

You majored in trainology or something? Well, guess what

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

I mean, that IS pretty accurate for what the future holds.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The future would be much better if it held trains.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

OwlFancier posted:

The future would be much better if it held trains.

:yeah:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Neville was a stone cold fox by the last movie and everyone had to say dialogue about how this very handsome man was lumpy and undesirable

Him growing up to be a very handsome young man did kind of jive with his slow transformation into a true hero though so I didn't find it all that jarring, but then again I'm a straight male so what do I know.

Grendels Dad posted:

It wasn't directly a problem for most of the young cast of Game of Thrones because they were supposed to age along with the show. It is however hilarious to see Sophie Turner quickly growing into a giant that towers over her peers.

Yeah, that became quite noticeable from S4 and onwards. In cases of both GoT and HP though, it is cool to see young actors steadily getting better at their craft. For all the scorn people have heaped on someone like Kit Harrington (and to be fair, he remains a fairly limited actor), his acting in the final seasons is much, much better than it was in S1.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He's a mega beefcake now iirc which is quite funny.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lodin posted:

Wait, why exactly are people inventing time travel just to kill Jesus?

E: Holy lol!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy8TRN4EZSE
Okay, so ignoring the whole thing where Jesus is a prophet in Islam too so killing him would probably be a major faux pas (I'm assuming the terrorists are never explicitly said to be but are hard coded as Muslim in this), why would killing Jesus with a gun a few days before he was killed by crucifixion even change anything? Can he not resurrect from a bullet wound?

Terminator solved this problem 35 years ago and they didn't even need to. Plus then we'd get that hot Mary boob shot during the sex scene.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

There was a Danish scifi story where the scientists drunkenly think up wild ideas for how to test if time travel works, so they end up deciding to kidnap Jesus, and indeed christianity still exists, the only difference is that the symbol is the fish instead of the cross. Then they dump Jesus in 1960s Copenhagen and he becomes the figurehead of a cult against his will and there's a nuclear war.

Also that movie is literally the Mad TV sketch lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XminlVhLma4

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 23:30 on May 30, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Since the whole point of Jesus being incarnated was ostensibly for him to get killed and thus redeem humanity's sins, you'd think the nefarious evil scheme of the time-travelers would be to save his life

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Data Graham posted:

Since the whole point of Jesus being incarnated was ostensibly for him to get killed and thus redeem humanity's sins, you'd think the nefarious evil scheme of the time-travelers would be to save his life
Totally a retcon to cover up the collapse of contract negotiations. They didn't want to Darren him so they just killed him off and pivoted to side characters

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Knormal posted:

Terminator solved this problem 35 years ago

That's not even his movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnNsPqDHfIk&t=3555s

(This is the "No speako Greeko" scene, watch from 59:15 until at least 1:03:40)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
fuckin' hell, what a bad scene. Besides the goofy-rear end writing, the director must have told the guy playing Jesus to move slowly and stiffly and to not show too much emotion. Makes him seem inhuman, although I guess maybe that's the point.

I like how in the that scene jesus says "hey god, you can do anything and change anything" and then 5 seconds later is like "this is the way it must be, it cannot be changed." I mean, that contradiction has always been there in Christian theology, but it's funny how they juxtaposed it so closely.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DontMockMySmock posted:

fuckin' hell, what a bad scene. Besides the goofy-rear end writing, the director must have told the guy playing Jesus to move slowly and stiffly and to not show too much emotion. Makes him seem inhuman, although I guess maybe that's the point.

I like how in the that scene jesus says "hey god, you can do anything and change anything" and then 5 seconds later is like "this is the way it must be, it cannot be changed." I mean, that contradiction has always been there in Christian theology, but it's funny how they juxtaposed it so closely.

It also handily solves the vexing questions "Did Jesus speak English?" and "Did Jesus know what films are?"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Robobot posted:

I don't speak the language, but I understood everything he said in that video.

About half way through I realised it's Japanese, and that I know juuuust enough of to know roughly what they're saying.

Guy 1: Mentos? Mentos?
Guy 2: nonononono
... Hey! You! What the gently caress are you doing?! Stop it! What are you doing?!
*coke explosion*

I didn't know what "kekkyoku" means, so I had to look that up, and I think he's more or less saying "...after all THAT..."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Carthag Tuek posted:

There was a Danish scifi story where the scientists drunkenly think up wild ideas for how to test if time travel works, so they end up deciding to kidnap Jesus, and indeed christianity still exists, the only difference is that the symbol is the fish instead of the cross. Then they dump Jesus in 1960s Copenhagen and he becomes the figurehead of a cult against his will and there's a nuclear war.

Also that movie is literally the Mad TV sketch lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XminlVhLma4
Goddamn I've always loved that sketch

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I haven't thought about that sketch in years. I love how it clearly has a better understanding of Christian theology than the Christian filmmakers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Can't believe they missed "give me your gold, your myrrh, your frankincense".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Him growing up to be a very handsome young man did kind of jive with his slow transformation into a true hero though so I didn't find it all that jarring, but then again I'm a straight male so what do I know.

From everything else I hear from straight women, very much so. Pretty sure they made the last couple movies more action-focused specifically to show that off. (though they left out that he was on fire while he beheaded the evil snake with a magic sword) Dumpy kid growing up to be a badass goes perfectly well with his arc, yes.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's not even his movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnNsPqDHfIk&t=3555s

(This is the "No speako Greeko" scene, watch from 59:15 until at least 1:03:40)

haha what dude talks about how the bible that jesus wrote is the greatest book in the world or whatever. I don't think even the most fundamentalist of sects believe jesus wrote the bible?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Don't put money on that.

Even if it isn't part of the official doctrine, rank and file members definitely believe it.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Yeah, Jesus was a Christian and wrote the Bible.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

the idea is that God, who is also Jesus, wrote the Bible in the sense that it's his word completely, not in the sense that Jesus literally sat down with a pen and wrote down the bible

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lodin posted:

Wait, why exactly are people inventing time travel just to kill Jesus?

E: Holy lol!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy8TRN4EZSE

Imagine putting “A.D.” on the wrong side of the numerals in your title.

Embarrassing.

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery
I read the new thread title as no speeko Gecko and was all hyped for cute/funny lizards.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bike tory posted:

the idea is that God, who is also Jesus, wrote the Bible in the sense that it's his word completely, not in the sense that Jesus literally sat down with a pen and wrote down the bible

Yeah, this concept is literally foundational to evangelical protestant Christianity.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah, this concept is literally foundational to evangelical protestant Christianity.
God, or as I like to call him, Mark

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Splicer posted:

God, or as I like to call him, Mark

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I’d be willing to go out on a limb and say that there are Christians who think Jesus literally put quill to paper and wrote the Bible, in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

koshmar posted:

I’d be willing to go out on a limb and say that there are Christians who think Jesus literally put quill to paper and wrote the Bible, in English.

Despite being the stupidest poo poo ever said, that isn’t really “out on a limb” at all in this case and is more of a certainty