Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

andyf posted:

I haven't watched any SC content for well over a year now, so I was delighted to see Jackfrags put up a vid showing the current state of the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3keRKwUizuQ

What an absolute jankfest. Incredible.

i clicked a random spot on the vid, it was a bunch of dune buggies inside a cargo hold loving each other upside down, and i feel like ive seen all i need to see

oh yea i heard this game is f2p rn. still wont try it tho since i was reminded it doesnt seem to have an uninstaller

Worf fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://packaged-media.redd.it/ltpx...fae397424b4#t=0

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Bragging about a 60% increase in engagement for Star Citizen = "That's right, our last tweet got twelve likes."

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

red bull keeps you awake while you're waiting for the train!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Red Bull gives you nipple jets after you fall through your space toilet

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
That feature would be tits.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Not everyone has 2 hours to prepare and go to a mission to play it for 5 minutes and lose all the time through some unfortunate circumstances then have to restart the process.. At least with lowbie respawn you can get back into the action pretty quickly if you have the right vehicle..

quote:

You prepare today, play tomorrow.

The point was never to "get back into the action quickly" but rather "do everything you can to not leave the action prematurely"

There are other games for the lazy sloppy sweats already.

This was not supposed to be one of them.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

quote:

prepare today, play tomorrow
:patriot:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oh my God the purring :kimchi:

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Look at all those babies :3:

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Mirificus posted:

There are other games for the lazy sloppy sweats already.

i don't think he knows what lazy and sweats mean

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

So... we've already established I'm tired and don't have the energy to properly combat the knee-jerking CIG is doing anymore... :disappointed: So this post will be short, but in that, I hope to be right to the point.

All of that stuff he talks about in that video are, of course, every video game solution to artificially trying to fine a consequence or deterrent for death... it's all been done or tried before.

But the problem is all of it is aimed around "getting the player back into the action as soon as possible" and let them "actually play the game"

Well.

No game has had the balls so far, and up until this week we thought Star Citizen might be the first, to spend the most valuable resource players have: their TIME.

If you're tried of staring at your corpse for 20 minutes waiting for a rescue, then you should do everything you can to mitigate that 20 minute wait from happening again in the future.... there are many options for that.

There is no cost or system or deterrent that will ever make death meaningful if you can go right back in 30 seconds... nothing. It's been tried for the entire history of video games.

Time is the only thing that might work. And that might cause some people to not play. Some designer, some day, is going to have to be bold enough to say "that's ok". (and in a game like Star Citizen, there should be enough player agency and choice to allow them to play doing something else, mitigating that risk... but yes, if they want to be the naked solo suicide bunker gunner, then they can't do that anymore if they're tried of waiting for a rescue.)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think this guy just secretly wants to tank Star Citizen. He isn't actually a supporter.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I think this guy just secretly wants to tank Star Citizen. He isn't actually a supporter.

Even better, he's the one true believer.

The Brutha to CRs Great God Om.

The Rock upon which all is built

The one person who truly believed all the marketing buzzwords CR and Tony Z spouted and clung to.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

I said come in! posted:

The vagueness of Star Citizen's basic concept and its endless pre-alpha makes it easy for backers to imagine that it is exactly what their equally-vague ideas of "the perfect game" should be. You're not allowed to be mean about what it is now, because it's not done yet! And when it IS done, it will be something you won't be mean about!

Lethality's an odd duck in that crowd because his idea of "the perfect game" is often very specific, and also -- because he is a harbinger of failure -- literally the worst idea for any game that wants to sell any copies, even to him. Still, some days he seems almost lucid and points out how lovely CIG's whole deal is and how utterly hosed Star Citizen is as a project, then a week later he'll be back to praising how great Star Citizen is right now (because it's not done and will therefore be PERFECT later which means it's perfect now, actually, you fools).

One thing he's always consistent about, however is being real mad whenever someone else's dreams.txt has any hint of "and also the game should be fun most of the time instead of being boring as gently caress all of the time" to it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
One of the biggest streamers on the world tried SC.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ZanySpineyLEDCoolStoryBro-mcSVEBEF6FKfSTWq

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Could someone agree with Lethality that the cost for death should be TIME. But that time is spent as forced labor on an Idris??

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Lethality isn’t wrong that our most valuable resource is time, but most games give us entertainment in exchange for it.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Lol at the end: "can we just kill ours-"

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Mirificus posted:

you should do everything you can to mitigate that 20 minute wait from happening again in the future.... there are many options for that.

The easiest one being not playing this stupid 'game' in the first place.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

If they implemented a 20 min wait every time you died the only person playing would be Lethality.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Does any existing game even cater to Lethality's particular tastes? Meaning, does he know he'd actually like having to turbo-prep for a generic bounty-hunting sidequest like it was the mission to Mars?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This has reached the stage where it looks like one of the games James Stephanie Sterling would find on Steam that's just an asset flip. Except no, they painstakingly made all these HD textures. And threw them in a box where nothing works and there's no gameplay.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sandweed posted:

If they implemented a 20 min wait every time you died the only person playing would be Lethality.

It's 20 mins if someone comes to get you isn't it? It could be longer.

Also how is this different from the fuel rescue missions in Elite Dangerous?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Unless I'm mistaken, the fuel rescue stuff in Elite Dangerous tends to be a result of the stranded pilot failing to refuel when they had a chance, get greedy and risk it or otherwise not pay attention to their route. It's not really a normal occurrence. It's also not at all a big deal for most to just suicide and take the insurance hit if you're truly stuck.

The issue is really just for people who have been out exploring for days, weeks, months and risk losing all that work. It's a subset of a subset of a subset of Elite players that MIGHT encounter that kind of situation.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sankis posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, the fuel rescue stuff in Elite Dangerous tends to be a result of the stranded pilot failing to refuel when they had a chance, get greedy and risk it or otherwise not pay attention to their route. It's not really a normal occurrence. It's also not at all a big deal for most to just suicide and take the insurance hit if you're truly stuck.

The issue is really just for people who have been out exploring for days, weeks, months and risk losing all that work. It's a subset of a subset of a subset of Elite players that MIGHT encounter that kind of situation.

I know it's only for a tiny number of players, but if you DID want to play with jeopardy and risk having to be rescued then the option is there. There can be real time based consequences for your actions. But the fact that most people do not do that does indicate there's not really a market for that kind of gameplay?

Especially because in Elite its something you do to yourself, in Star Citizen it happens to you at random as a rando appears, kills you and bunny hops away.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Star Citizen: Prepare today, play tomorrow

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
What copilot thinks of this thread:

The most discussed topic in the Star Citizen forum thread appears to be the ongoing development and various aspects of the game’s mechanics, features, and controversies. Discussions include the realism of the game’s physics, the complexity of its systems, and the community’s reactions to updates and changes. There are also debates about the game’s funding model and the delivery of promised content. It’s a mix of technical discussion, community feedback, and humor regarding the game’s long development process.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Wait, copilot can datascrape the forums? I thought the paywall made them a bit of a deep web/grey web area?

I obviously do not understand how this works, just saying.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

got a surprise in my inbox this morning, apparently someone remembers we've been parked on the squadron42 subreddit for years lol

"which could be as early as 2025" is so gold

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
a-piece-of-poop

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Beet Wagon posted:

got a surprise in my inbox this morning, apparently someone remembers we've been parked on the squadron42 subreddit for years lol

quote:

About Community

Squadron 42 - The upcoming single player space sim from visionary director Chris Roberts.
Created Oct 10, 2012

:gary:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

But subreddit squatting isn't fair!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Make me a mod, I'm still fine on reddit

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Make me a mod, I'm still fine on reddit

i'm gigabanned lol, it's out of my hands :shrug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

i'm gigabanned lol, it's out of my hands :shrug:

If you don't have one living moderator they can take the subreddit. Donkylips9 is all the hope to keep the fun going.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
and no posts of Kayak, nothing is going right!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

All of you plebs in chat are too narrow-minded to see the vision of what this game could be. It's literally a space sandbox with so much to offer in every place you discover. This will put all other games to shame once it releases. 4.0 release is around the corner and will make you all eat your words. I've pledged like $5k and have no regrets because I'm a man of culture

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sickening posted:

If you don't have one living moderator they can take the subreddit. Donkylips9 is all the hope to keep the fun going.

yeah idek who any of the other mods are, presumably they're goons but who knows which ones. I say let 'em have it tbh, I think the idea of this one lonely old soldier finally taking the hill he's been dying over for 10 years is kinda poetic tbh

Jobbo_Fett posted:

and no posts of Kayak, nothing is going right!

you're so right im sorryyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Like yeast?