Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Phobophilia posted:

There was a miniscule 10% drop off between the November presidential results and the January runoff results in Georgia. That does not bode well for the Democratic party's future prospects.

Democrats winning a high turnout election has better implications for their future prospects than Democrats winning a low turnout election, because it suggests that there are more Democrats. Doug Jones won a low turnout special election because the Republicans ran a pedophile and none of their voters showed up, and then lost the regular election last year with 250k more votes than he won with in 2017.

edit:
https://twitter.com/CincinnatiZoo/status/1356649897932562433

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Phobophilia posted:

There was a miniscule 10% drop off between the November presidential results and the January runoff results in Georgia. That does not bode well for the Democratic party's future prospects.

There is no context where winning two Senate seats in Georgia is somehow not good. The voters voted for Republicans for Senate more than Democrats for Senate in November, then their turnout faded relative to Democrats as soon as Trump wasn't on the ballot. If Trump is not on the ballot, then the new voters Trump brought in don't give a gently caress.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I think the biggest drawback to Matt Duss is how much of a Russia hawk he is. I don't think that will help the situation in Syria.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

PeterCat posted:

You don't believe Tara Reade?

I'm not getting probed a second time thanks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It is impressive that major outlets are still doing profiles and interviews with Trump voters in February 2021.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1357119531802648578

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The media's always been completely in love with trump, and also continues to adore his base of well-off voters who cosplay salt-of-the-earth commoners, while both ignore the actual working class people mowing their lawns and working in their businesses.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Pick posted:

At least it's not the "drunk driving is good actually" derail again. :sigh:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762

Flopsy posted:

I'm not getting probed a second time thanks.

There's not actually enough entries in your rap sheet to obfuscate which ones got you probated for thinking and posting about exactly this, since you brought it up.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

shimmy shimmy posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762

There's not actually enough entries in your rap sheet to obfuscate which ones got you probated for thinking and posting about exactly this, since you brought it up.

The mod doesn't want this being discussed please drop it.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Is now the time to point out that Pete moved left of what y'all expected?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Uglycat posted:

No.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Uglycat posted:

I dont know, is it?

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Uglycat posted:

Genuine question: moved left in what way?

vvvv ah, a big move left then.

shimmy shimmy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 4, 2021

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Uglycat posted:

He literally hasn't done anything, what are you talking about

Edit: I see he tweeted about Black History Month, which must mean that he's come a long way from the man who sought to purge black leadership from city departments under his control. Truly an inspiration.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Byzantine posted:

The same way that if somebody that punches you in the gut once a month instead walks up and hands you a ten dollar bill. Why's he suddenly being nice after literally fifty years of stomping people into the dirt?

It's fair to be suspicious. Judge him by his actions, I will be. So far (mostly) so good, but there's incredible need out there and I want to see so much more.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

James Garfield posted:

Democrats winning a high turnout election has better implications for their future prospects than Democrats winning a low turnout election, because it suggests that there are more Democrats. Doug Jones won a low turnout special election because the Republicans ran a pedophile and none of their voters showed up, and then lost the regular election last year with 250k more votes than he won with in 2017.

Republicans ran the dumbest, most unprepared and unqualified Senate candidate since the Delaware witch lady and he still beat Doug Jones, because Alabama voters are just as dumb and unprepared.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I guess now is not, in fact, the time to point it out

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And the Democrats were so loving proud of barely eking out a victory against an open, actual pedophile who had been banned from a mall from always trying to gently caress underage girls.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Byzantine posted:

The same way that if somebody that punches you in the gut once a month instead walks up and hands you a ten dollar bill. Why's he suddenly being nice after literally fifty years of stomping people into the dirt?

I think other posters may be on to something with the theory that going after his son finally opened his eyes to the fact that the Republicans are never ever going to work with him.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And the Democrats were so loving proud of barely eking out a victory against an open, actual pedophile who had been banned from a mall from always trying to gently caress underage girls.

I mean, they did lose to a guy the previous year who wanted to gently caress his own underage daughter....so....progress?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Every 2 to 4 years more die hard republicans die because they’re old, and the California exodus is giving Dems more reliable southwestern states. Bush and Trump will end up being disasters when you have multiple generations that swing Dem hard because of what shitshows their presidencies wound up being.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

the_steve posted:

I think other posters may be on to something with the theory that going after his son finally opened his eyes to the fact that the Republicans are never ever going to work with him.

That's still surprising since even AOC has been pushing the 'we need to work with the Good Republicans of myth and folktale' line after they literally tried to murder her.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Demographics are destiny

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2018/03/20/1-trends-in-party-affiliation-among-demographic-groups/

Here’s some numbers, edit your post all you want there’s no succ here

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's still surprising since even AOC has been pushing the 'we need to work with the Good Republicans of myth and folktale' line after they literally tried to murder her.

I've been seeing most of AOC tweets as being "gently caress you resign", so I didn't think she was going in that direction.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
please dial up the effort level in this thread slightly, midnight shitposting time notwithstanding

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

i am a moron posted:

Every 2 to 4 years more die hard republicans die because they’re old, and the California exodus is giving Dems more reliable southwestern states. Bush and Trump will end up being disasters when you have multiple generations that swing Dem hard because of what shitshows their presidencies wound up being.
I just don't buy this take at all, because it requires people to really underestimate the power of right-wing disinformation on social media. I still am in doubt that Arizona or Georgia will be the longtime shifts that Virginia and Colorado have been, rather than a fluke like Obama winning North Carolina and Indiana (seriously how the gently caress did he win Indiana).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also voter suppression and that a lot of those people don't see any point voting for Democrats, especially given red state Democrats are worse than controlled opposition.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

i am a moron posted:

A huge part of Trump's base is middle-aged suburban Gen Xers who aren't dying anytime soon. 30% of Millennials support Trump too. Many of the people moving away from California are the chuds who are turning red states like Texas redder.

The right-wing isn't going anywhere, and the younger ones are more openly nazi as ever.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mustard Iceman posted:

I just don't buy this take at all, because it requires people to really underestimate the power of right-wing disinformation on social media. I still am in doubt that Arizona or Georgia will be the longtime shifts that Virginia and Colorado have been, rather than a fluke like Obama winning North Carolina and Indiana (seriously how the gently caress did he win Indiana).

Hoosier here, its because he promised good stuff. Then he didnt deliver and the party gave up on us so, like Ohio and Florida, it is now forever blood red. 2008 was the last time my vote actually meant anything, as little as that ended up being, and I dont even bother anymore lol

Indiana has a far longer history of Dem leadership and representation than Georgia or Arizona or Texas. The party should be far more worried that GA and AZ are flukes than they seem to be, and I rather suspect they're taking those flipping as validation of their plan to ditch the midwest and rust belt entirely

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

i am a moron posted:

Can any US history nerds weigh in on whether demographic change has ever really changed the balance of power? Because this reads like hokum, sorry.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

i am a moron posted:

Demos are not in Republican's favors long term. Like we have seen in Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado, it takes decades really but they are shifting. You have a 40 and below that overwhelmingly dislike and distrust the GOP which they not only seem to have no interest in trying to court at all but openly distain. I mean it makes sense why they have gone full fash since they won't have the chance to destroy democracy for that much longer.

I assume that someone in the DNC has figured out that they owe getting Biden elected and what they have accomplished due to the younger, progressive and much more diverse activists and grassroots groups. If you were going to throw the boomers down the river this would be the time to do it frankly, they are getting old and the number of them is going to be rapidly shrinking over the next cycles. Those 30-40 are going to need a lot of help and support over the coming years and decades do to a vast majority not having any sort of financial security at all, let alone retirement. Home ownership rates are laughable, which is around 34% for those 20-34 and the numbers will likely get worse as we go forward. You need to have bold, massive, sustained help and need to rein in the various markets gone wild.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Kalit posted:

Yea, using the phrase "Russia hawk" with negative connotation was an immediate :crossarms: moment for me

??? Is this because you're a bloodthirsty psycho or war profiteer of some kind? You aren't actually a propaganda addled moron who thinks russia is our enemy across all space And time right?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

UP AND ADAM posted:

??? Is this because you're a bloodthirsty psycho or war profiteer of some kind? You aren't actually a propaganda addled moron who thinks russia is our enemy across all space And time right?

“Far right insurrectionist Alexei Navalny.”

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

i am harry posted:

While that might an exaggeration the stuff that post was talking about was based on stuff reported on the Atlantic and he's been Islamophobic on his own personal website if the translation is accurate.

Not a fan on "source bad" at least when additional information can be looked on wikiped and one can check out their sources on the matter.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 4, 2021

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

i am harry posted:

Eh, the fact that the tweet cited was dumb doesn't mean that being a Russia hawk is a good thing.

Also, Rockit beat me to it already, but Navalny is more right-wing than most people in the West commonly understand. "Far-right insurrectionary" is probably not an appropriate description, but "right-of-center" certainly is.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 4, 2021

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mustard Iceman posted:

As someone that worked on the campaigns that year in Indiana I can answer. At that point the Indiana conservative voter hadn't been radicalized yet. You had seen the effects of the massive amount of divestment of a ton of industries in the state that had started a few years before and continued for many more start to really effect the average person even if they weren't losing their job directly. As well as the effects of Mitch Daniels' truly disastrous policies not come to roost yet. He came in offering "Hope and Change" and to many people in the state the promise of universal health care was the lifeline they desperately needed. Him being from Illinois helped as well as getting the support of people like Dick Lugar went a long, long way.

I have talked on here before how I was with so many people the night he won who were overwhelmed with joy with the belief that their lives were going to be better and/or in many cases saved because of him. Of course none of that happened and many of the people I was in the room with that night died during his administration because he didn't deliver on his promises to them.

To many that felt betrayed they went down the right wing hole on hating Obama and you saw a real rise in open racism that I never saw ever before that point. You also had Pence elected governor who made even worse choices in office somehow. They cut back on every possible government service they can to the bone, have taxes so low that they don't make sense and have a deficit rising at a rate because of it that is alarming. The people that live there have serious problems that the state turns a blind eye towards. You have a massive amount of hard drugs coming into the state that were never there before because of a mixture of lack of law enforcement looking to stop it and the massive demand from people who have no hope and stopped caring.

It is no surprise why Trump was and still is so popular there. Him promising that he was going to bring these manufacturing jobs back and "make America great again" was designed to target those people exactly. Living in a false reality is better than dealing with the very real one around them.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Famethrowa posted:

Can any US history nerds weigh in on whether demographic change has ever really changed the balance of power? Because this reads like hokum, sorry.
On a national level? Not really... but in California? oh boy the Republican Party just rolled over and died because of them.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do you know what a thoroughly hostile school environment can do to people? Like all the suicides? Children are subjected to environments that make WWI trench veterans double take. (and hell, at least they knew there were people on the same side)

it doesn't appear as though the US has a massive youth suicide problem compared to other western countries; pretty middle of the pack.

Statements about WWII are hyperbolic. I hate to agree with Leon Trotsky, but

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The U.S. education system is, like much of the U.S., wildly unequal.

The U.S. ranks ~16th in the world on standardized math and literacy tests. If you removed the bottom 5% performing schools, then the U.S. shoots up to #1.

A citation would be nice on the second bit (as well as knowing if it means comparing the US to other countries with their bottom 5% removed?), but talking about schools as a monolith in a country with 130,000 of them organized under ~14,000 different district administrations is pretty silly.

I can believe that some number of people have school experiences that cause them problems years later, and I would have a conversation about the degree to which schools in general try to make people trusting of authority, etc. But, the idea that, as another poster put it, "most people [i] know wake up in a cold sweat..." isn't going to resonate with a majority of people, I don't think, because that's not the experience of most people that go through the public schools.

The comments that got us on this tangent came with the icing that it's not relevant that a nationally elected official lacked even high school education until immediately before their run; I think that's silly and it's a deflection to suggest US schools are institutionally bad and therefore uneducated officials are fine. The premise of institutionally bad requires a high burden of evidence and none was provided, and even if I was sold on that the conclusion doesn't follow.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Neo_Crimson posted:

A huge part of Trump's base is middle-aged suburban Gen Xers who aren't dying anytime soon. 30% of Millennials support Trump too. Many of the people moving away from California are the chuds who are turning red states like Texas redder.

Over 30% of Hawaii voted Trump. What does this say for the future of far right candidates in Hawaii?