Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

echinopsis posted:

Ok, but what switches?

I was big on blues for a while. I mean, they are NICE to type on. But I also have a clears board. Blues WASD and Clears CODE, so basically the same board but different switches. PBT on the clears and ABS on the blues. I am changing every day or so to see which I prefer. The clears are a definite winner on the sound department. I don't bottom out too much so quite quiet. At first not bottoming out felt lovely but I am used to it now. When I get a beer or two into me (to calm the nerves) I type like a fuckin cheetah.

The blues, well, I know I'm typing a bit more solid. Clears rely a bit more on faith, the blues require no faith whatsoever. The clears feel organic, the blues definitely plastic. Nice, but very plastic. The clears it doesn't have that inherent plastic touch. I like both. I keep saying I don't know which I prefer but I feel like a small part of me would be ashamed amongst the board community to say that I really prefered clears because blues are in some ways the gold standard of MX switches.

I've got blacks. I don't like the tactile bump as much as I thought and I tend to press heavy. Blacks with o-rings is the perfect combo for me. I feel like I type more accurately now which I absolutely love. I can't stand blue/green because of the clicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Just got my first keyboard w/Clears.
I always loved the bump of Browns, but was constantly bottoming out. Now, I'm not bottoming out nearly as much, and it's definitely a quieter typing experience. Digging it a lot so far.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011
Just got my CODE with clears. It feels heavenly to type on compared to my old CM Quickfire Rapid with reds. I've already noticed an improvement in my typing speed and I'm barely bottoming out at all so they are much quieter as well although I could have put some o rings on the CM to help in that department on the reds.

The Deadly Hume posted:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/danger-zone-sa-keycap-set
Danger Zone has a nice miltech look about it and of course it's expensive (though I might have a look in a week to see if they get past a few drop points) and it's tempting just for the font.

drat that's a nice looking set and I'm super tempted to get it but I already bought the Carbon SA set and I'm not sure what I'd even do with both of them. Shame its all row 3 profile but I suppose I could live with that. :homebrew:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
What's even the point of an SA set if you only get one profile?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Still looks cool

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

whats so special about somethingawful keycaps? does lowtax sign them or something

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

whats so special about somethingawful keycaps? does lowtax sign them or something

They're fatter than normal keycaps

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Deadly Hume posted:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/danger-zone-sa-keycap-set
Danger Zone has a nice miltech look about it and of course it's expensive (though I might have a look in a week to see if they get past a few drop points) and it's tempting just for the font.

I don't even have a mechanical keyboard (yet) but I want these.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't even have a mechanical keyboard (yet) but I want these.

Ha, I'm surprised no one has produced a lovely rubber dome keyboard to hang boutique cherry keycaps on. I wouldn't buy one, and the world isn't a better place for having it, but I'm sure you could make money if you got production costs low enough.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Clark Nova posted:

Ha, I'm surprised no one has produced a lovely rubber dome keyboard to hang boutique cherry keycaps on. I wouldn't buy one, and the world isn't a better place for having it, but I'm sure you could make money if you got production costs low enough.

They also already sell nonfunctional display cases for keycaps

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Hey Goons.

I'm now solidly in the market for a new keyboard, since my Steelseries 6GV2 is now crapping out steadily.

Thing is, I like this one, and would like one as similar to it as possible. I'm not gooing to replaace it like for like because I don't want to have similar problems again (keys double-inputting on a single press)

So I'm loooking for a mechanical keyboard, black or at a push brown switches, full size with a dpad, with NKRO. I don't care about backlighting, and I don't care about media controls. I'd quite like a double-height return key, too.

I'm probably gonna spend ~£100. I'm in the UK so I'm limited out of some stuff because international shipping (and customs charges) sucks. Also itt's loving hard to find some keyboards in a UK layout.

I've looked at the Corsair K65 and a couple of Filco/Ducky boards but I can't seem to find one which ticks all the boxes I've mentioned, anyone got any recommendations?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Wait, does the UK use ANSI or ISO?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

AirRaid posted:

Hey Goons.

I'm now solidly in the market for a new keyboard, since my Steelseries 6GV2 is now crapping out steadily.

Thing is, I like this one, and would like one as similar to it as possible. I'm not gooing to replaace it like for like because I don't want to have similar problems again (keys double-inputting on a single press)

So I'm loooking for a mechanical keyboard, black or at a push brown switches, full size with a dpad, with NKRO. I don't care about backlighting, and I don't care about media controls. I'd quite like a double-height return key, too.

I'm probably gonna spend ~£100. I'm in the UK so I'm limited out of some stuff because international shipping (and customs charges) sucks. Also itt's loving hard to find some keyboards in a UK layout.

I've looked at the Corsair K65 and a couple of Filco/Ducky boards but I can't seem to find one which ticks all the boxes I've mentioned, anyone got any recommendations?

The UK really isn't screwed for keyboard choice, check out: http://www.keyboardco.com/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mange Mite posted:

Wait, does the UK use ANSI or ISO?

UK uses the physical layout generally referred to as 'ISO', ie the tall enter key and small left shift. this here

It's totally possible to mix the physical layout and functional one to use a different keyboard than the norm. But I guess if you're used to typing on UK boards switching to a US one isn't ideal.

HalloKitty posted:

The UK really isn't screwed for keyboard choice, check out: http://www.keyboardco.com/
They definitely don't have the abundance of cheap gam3r keyboards in the ISO layout like we do. It's like, a filco board for the equivalent of $200 is actually a decent price considering the normal US->UK markup. But someone who wants a UK version of the basic $100 US board (ie a CM, rosewill 9000, or a corsair k65) is gonna be disappointed.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

AirRaid posted:

Hey Goons.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SteelSeries-6Gv2-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Red-Cherry-Switches-Edition-/371442499485?hash=item567bb2bf9d

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
So my dogs charged me and spilled coffee all over my ~2 year old (but previously working fine) Corsair K90 mechanical keyboard. It has Cherry MX Reds. I love this thing. So I took it apart and bought some contact cleaner and went to town on it with a detail brush and it's nice and clean and good as new. I also decided to wash my keys in a coffee can with some dawn dish soap, and strain them while I hit em with a hairdryer.

One problem: My spacebar got too hot and is now slightly misshapen. My F4 and F6 key also melted, but thats not a huge deal to me really. I've swapped Scroll Lock and End in their place since I never use those keys. My question is, being on a limited budget, where could I buy a Cherry MX Red spacebar that I can just pop right on this thing?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Corsair uses a nonstandard space bar, as I recall. Your best bet might be contacting Corsair support.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Call Corsair. I broke the feet on my K70 and the guy I talked to yanked a set off a keyboard he apparently had lying around and I got them a few days later, no charge.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Looks like the Filco is the closest I'm gonna get to what I want, so getting a Majestouch 2, with browns. Crossing my fingers that I'm not gonna hate the browns. Blacks aren't in stock anywhere.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I hadn't used mx browns in forever until just now when I started typing this post on MY POSTING RIG.

Trust me, you will love browns. They will envelope you like a warm blanket.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Does anybody with clears play a lot of vidya games? I like the idea of switches that force me not to bottom out, since I smash really hard on blues and make a boatload of noise. But if it makes my fingers tired pushing WASD all day then it's not worth it.

Or I have to get two keyboards. :getin:

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

VostokProgram posted:

Does anybody with clears play a lot of vidya games? I like the idea of switches that force me not to bottom out, since I smash really hard on blues and make a boatload of noise. But if it makes my fingers tired pushing WASD all day then it's not worth it.

I found holding down Clears annoying but most people have no problem with it.

You know you want more than one keyboard, though. Speaking of:

My SA caps finally came in a few weeks ago. The cables don't match any more but that can be fixed. Sideways caps on the bottom row for the ones I hit with my thumbs. The Atreus doesn't get any because it's for travel.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

VostokProgram posted:

I play games on mine.. maybe during the first week it was a thing, but after that I don't notice it at all.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Yeah you just get used to it and your fingers get ripped as gently caress

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I played hours of Doom on a buckling spring, you'll be fine

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

tuna posted:

Yeah you just get used to it and your fingers get ripped as gently caress

You also have to be careful to make sure your board has swole key rollover.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

HEY NONG MAN posted:

You also have to be careful to make sure your board has swole key rollover.

:boom:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Psh, like I don't already have that board

I've since replaced the caps and I was sad to see muscle man and noodle bowl leave me.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

VostokProgram posted:

I've played about 2000+ hours of Dota on my Ergodox with clears. It's totally fine.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I'm looking for some advice with regards to selling.

I have a Leopold FC700R gray with red switches, still in box used for about an hour. I'd like to sell it and hopefully get a good price. Where is the best place to sell it?

It should be noted that I'm in Australia.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I'd start with /r/mechmarket first.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Maybe overclockers Australia forums

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Cheers, thanks

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Pulled the trigger on those Danger Zone caps. Now all I have to do is wait until February. :suicide:

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

The Deadly Hume posted:

Pulled the trigger on those Danger Zone caps. Now all I have to do is wait until February. :suicide:

I'm waiting for the infinity ergodox to be available again. It was first done in March or something and still hasn't gone in to production. Good chance I'll die before then.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Nondescript Van posted:

I'm waiting for the infinity ergodox to be available again. It was first done in March or something and still hasn't gone in to production. Good chance I'll die before then.

If you do, can you will it to me?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If you do, can you will it to me?

That will go to my family. It'll be my most expensive possession. I can send you some autographed photos though.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Nondescript Van posted:

That will go to my family. It'll be my most expensive possession. I can send you some autographed photos though.

Oh, okay. Where do they live, and what hours are they out of the house? Just curious.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Review of the new Cherry stealth switches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07ShJUzDHUU&feature=youtu.be

*hammers down onto keys as hard as possible*
*sounds exactly like browns/reds for that reason*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
I just got a board with Cherry Blue switches in it, and some of the keys really don't click at all. For example, my 0 has a very distinctive click and tactile feel to it, whereas the 9 key right next to it makes a barely perceptible noise and feels nearly completely linear. There are several keys on the board like this, like I and H and the right arrow key.

Is this sort of thing normal? Does the board need to get "broken in" or something? Or did I just get a lemon?

• Locked thread