Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Blind Sally posted:

I was one of those chumps last season. The HBO viewer's guide had enough hints in it for me to come up with the idea that Jon Snow was Rhaegar's son with Eddard's sister, and I thought I was the cleverest bastard for coming up with it. I was probated for my speculation, and was pretty bummed out because I figured I had been spoiled because of it.

I broke down and read all of the books during the break, and was pretty upset to find out that nothing ever really comes of Jon Snow's parentage. After finishing AFFC and ADWD, I felt empty inside, like I had been cheated of my time and money.

Then I started reading the Bad Thread, and everything made sense again. Now I look at the people in the TVIV No-Spoiler thread, and am filled with happiness and sorrow. Happiness, because I am no longer a part of that mess, and sorrow, because I read their speculation and anticipate their utter disappointment.

No, wait, sorrow is the wrong word--more like, joy.

The Rains of Castamere will be made up of the tears of the posters in the TVIV No-Spoiler thread.
Oh JOY, another person who hates the last two novels. How exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Genuinely terrible. Normally I don't mind the show's, uh, deviations but that one just felt like some kind of committee effort to sound gurmulent.

Alright, which of you Wild Cards is getting consulting fees from HBO?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

IRQ posted:

That whole exchange was the stupidest loving thing. Like almost as bad as the Littlefinger lesbian sexposition dump scene in the first season.

At least that one provided us with the gem "Play with her rear end."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Literally everyone but you hates them.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Oh no, if GRRM fans can't handle a few new characters in a prologue just imagine what Malazan stuff would do to them.

I think the Malazan series is great until I put down a book and realize I have no loving idea what happened or who half the characters were. Any Malazan show would just be random people running on and off the screen while CGI "magic" explosions and randomly too-huge swords go flying at your face as everyone, ever dies. And then there's some more people. Who die. And possibly explode. Or shrivel into corpses who stagger around until they die again.

Actually I would totally watch that show. At least it wouldn't have Shae the funny whore.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

IRQ posted:

Eh, A Feast for Crows wasn't so bad. Maybe I'm just saying that in light of ADWD, but still.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

empty sea posted:

Actually I would totally watch that show. At least it wouldn't have Shae the funny whore.

That's Shae the funny whore who may be from an important house or dorne according to the retarded thread!

Dendra
May 3, 2009
Feast had the potential to be redeemed by Dance, if the characters he didn't include had done cool stuff or whatever.

Instead we got Tyrion riding a pig.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Speculation that Gendry does anything of interest is pretty sad in general.

I guess he has two more books in which to be useful, though.
helmet shining, hiding in bushes, and creepy inappropriate interactions with Arya

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
So I was just browsing the SoIaF wiki and how did it slip past me that Robert and Aerys were second(?) cousins? Goddamn everyone really is a secret Targ.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The Slippery Nipple posted:

So I was just browsing the SoIaF wiki and how did it slip past me that Robert and Aerys were second(?) cousins? Goddamn everyone really is a secret Targ.

Baratheons were Targ bastards legitimized and given the stormlands after the storm lords were purged for rebelling too many times.

Edit: So not so secret Targs

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Ross posted:

:laugh:

:smugdog:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

crazypeltast52 posted:

That's Shae the funny whore who may be from an important house or dorne according to the retarded thread!
Ros and the TV version of Shae has made me start agreeing with Tywin's attitude towards whores.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dendra posted:

Feast had the potential to be redeemed by Dance, if the characters he didn't include had done cool stuff or whatever.

Instead we got Tyrion riding a pig.

That was one of the better parts of the book.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

savinhill posted:

Ros and the TV version of Shae has made me start agreeing with Tywin's attitude towards whores.

I guess we will actually learn where whores go.

Also, do remember that Tywin used Shae too.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I picture Melisandre as being young and attractive, not middle-aged and slightly tired.

I don't like who they cast as Stannis, but maybe his acting will make up for it.

Hey guys no tits in this episode yet let's throw in a scene with a whore loving a guy. Yeah gently caress that guy.

It's not that it's fun to spoil people, it's that they take it way too seriously. Mods and admins here seem to agree with that sentiment but punish because they don't want to deal with the whining. Even if that's not the case I'll stay out of the thread so I don't hurt anyone's feelings.

Rurik posted:

Haven't gotten to seeing S2E1 yet (I'm in Finland), but was anyone else bothered by how Jaime's name was pronounced in season 1?

You're from Finland, Jaime is a common English name and it's pronounced jay-mee.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

crazypeltast52 posted:

Baratheons were Targ bastards legitimized and given the stormlands after the storm lords were purged for rebelling too many times.

Edit: So not so secret Targs

Ahh I see, was this in the main novels or the novellas? I tend to miss details like that anyway.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The Slippery Nipple posted:

Ahh I see, was this in the main novels or the novellas? I tend to miss details like that anyway.

It was a throwaway paragraph in one of the main books, this series is written for sperglords to sperg over, so spergs aside, we've all missed details like that.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

According to the wiki, it was revealed in one of Sam's chapters in AFFC. I suppose that explains why it was overlooked. And from the Appendix for AGOT:

AGOT Appendix posted:

The youngest of the Great Houses, born during the Wars of Conquest. Its founder Orys Baratheon, was rumored to be Aegon the Dragon's bastard brother. Orys rose through the ranks to beomce one of Aegon's firecest commanders. When he defeated and slew Argilac the Arrogant, the last Storm King, Aegon rewarded him with Argilac's castle, lands, and daughter. Orys took the girl to bride, and adopted the banner, honors, and words of her line. The Baratheon sigil is a crowned stage, black, on a golden field. Their words are Ours is the Fury.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 3, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

That's completely wrong, of course.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Blind Sally posted:

Then I started reading the Bad Thread, and everything made sense again. Now I look at the people in the TVIV No-Spoiler thread, and am filled with happiness and sorrow. Happiness, because I am no longer a part of that mess, and sorrow, because I read their speculation and anticipate their utter disappointment.
Clearly you haven risen again, stronger.

Maytag posted:

You're from Finland, Jaime is a common English name and it's pronounced jay-mee.
Huh, never heard it before. I really thought it was just a name GURM made up.

AFFC/ADWD talk: at least Crows had Cersei plotting and getting herself in jail, so that's something. The book just felt lame after the epicness of ASOS. ADWD was underwhelming, but I still somewhat liked it because "oh finally a new book!"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rurik posted:

Huh, never heard it before. I really thought it was just a name GURM made up.
Jamie is the more common variant, just like Caitlin is the more common version of her name.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

IRQ posted:

...I don't hate them

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Eh, I don't hate them (never said I did), I just feel like they were a waste of my time and money. Given some of my previous posts I don't think it's at all surprising I came to that conclusion.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Reading the TV IV thread gives me such a weird feeling of power, like watching mere mortals live out their lives in doubt and uncertainty, while I know exactly how everything will play out. I don't interfere in it, I just watch as their hopes wither away slowly. Is this what being God feels like?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

IRQ posted:

No, the vast majority fall somewhere between your over-the-top hatred and Azure_horizon's utterly bewildering love for them.

Sometimes I think you're both the same person trolling us.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

No, the vast majority fall somewhere between your over-the-top hatred and Azure_horizon's utterly bewildering love for them.

Sometimes I think you're both the same person trolling us.

Yeah, I mean AFfC is actually a pretty decent book and ADwD has its moments despite the unsatisfying ending.

Dendra
May 3, 2009
The only way Feast is a decent book is if you don't compare it to the first 3 though.

Incidentally, in the leaked episode 2, HBO cuts from sex scene (Theon and salt wife) -> random brothel scene -> Littlefinger wiping cum off a whore's face and sending her to another customer

This show is awesome.

Dendra fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 3, 2012

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Is the Warriors anthology worth getting for all the other stories? I just found out the third Dunk and Egg story is only available in the collection and not as a stand-alone.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I get that its Cat-lyn otherwise her nickname doesn't work well but in my head its always Cait-lyn.

I also mentally pronounce the tildes in ~daario~

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ehhh, I've known one or two girls who've gone by Cat when they probably should have gone with Kate instead. It's less a "this sounds like that" than a "this has the same letters as that" diminutive. Some nicknames don't make a lot of sense, like Jack, Bill, or Hank. (Or Ned.)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

(Or Ned.)
It's short for Nedward :colbert:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
:pcgaming: GRRM NAME TALK :pcgaming:

And Charles becomes Charlie, Chuck, Chip, and Chaz.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

And "Shaa" if you're French! :eng101:

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I can't remember literally a single thing that happened in AFFC. ADWD at least had a very large number of deaths (K. Lannister, that dude who spent the whole book trying to get to Dany) and fakedeaths (John, Stannis).

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dendra posted:

The only way Feast is a decent book is if you don't compare it to the first 3 though.

Incidentally, in the leaked episode 2, HBO cuts from sex scene (Theon and salt wife) -> random brothel scene -> Littlefinger wiping cum off a whore's face and sending her to another customer

This show is awesome.

At first I thought HBO would be the first to show the wider masses what snowballing is.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

geeves posted:

At first I thought HBO would be the first to show the wider masses what snowballing is.

Clerks covered that ground quite a while back, though.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Clerks covered that ground quite a while back, though.

Unfortunately only the mental 13 year olds 90's indie dorks noticed.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Dendra posted:

Nonsense, Feast is great. Dance is a horrible mess, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

Dendra posted:

This show is awesome.

Oh no, spoilers from the show that aren't on the books... time to close the thread until... until... i don't know... until someone pony posts?