Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have a really specific muscle memory of hitting f6-tab to get to the search bar. That seems to have broken with the latest update when I'm not at 100% zoom or on a page that can be viewed in "mobile mode" or whatever they call it.

Can I uh, make tab not select those things? Or is there a better shortcut I should learn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I have a really specific muscle memory of hitting f6-tab to get to the search bar. That seems to have broken with the latest update when I'm not at 100% zoom or on a page that can be viewed in "mobile mode" or whatever they call it.

Can I uh, make tab not select those things? Or is there a better shortcut I should learn?

ctrl+k

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Or even better, turn it off and search from the addressbar.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is new tab or new window not defaulting focus to the address bar for anyone else?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

wooger posted:

Or even better, turn it off and search from the addressbar.

Address bar searching sucks when it thinks it's a URL.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

c0burn posted:

Address bar searching sucks

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Nailed it. Thanks a million :shobon:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Nailed it. Thanks a million :shobon:

Happy to help out a fellow searchbar user.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ctrl-T, search, pop two or three results out in be tabs, leave them simmering for a few days. Tab krew represent.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

c0burn posted:

I've turned off all implicit searching from my URL bar, it's never a thing I want. Either I enter a full, valid URL, and that's exactly the URL I mean, I enter a fully qualified domain name and I mean to visit exactly that domain, or I enter a defined keyword. (Or I use the type-to-find in history and bookmarks and select something from the dropdown.) Search bar for submitting a search, URL bar for loading URLs.

I think the about :config settings to disabled for it are:
keyword.enabled
browser.fixup.alternate.enabled

I also disable browser.urlbar.autoFill so hitting Enter accidentally doesn't go to something semi-random from my history.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Edit: doublepost

wooger fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 29, 2019

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

c0burn posted:

c0burn posted:

Can’t say I’ve ever had this happen. Just stick in g<space>yoursearchterm if you’re searching for something that looks like a URL.

Everything I search for contains spaces, so won’t ever happen. And about half the time I just get the result from history/bookmarks search, integrated into the same addressbar.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I recently switched to Firefox from Chrome and there's really only two things I miss: a shortcut that can show/hide the bookmark bar so I don't always have to have it displayed and pinch to zoom (on a MacBook trackpad). Is there anything I can do to get either of these functions in Firefox or will I just have to deal with it?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

i vomit kittens posted:

I recently switched to Firefox from Chrome and there's really only two things I miss: a shortcut that can show/hide the bookmark bar so I don't always have to have it displayed and pinch to zoom (on a MacBook trackpad). Is there anything I can do to get either of these functions in Firefox or will I just have to deal with it?
a) right-click on the address bar & bookmarks bar and select / unselect the bookmarks bar. weirdly it seems like macs can set an arbitrary keyboard shortcut for this. that's a pretty neat feature for an OS!

b) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-touch-zoom/

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Any add ons that can make YouTube recommendations less poo poo? Or more like it was before the algorithm?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I was watching Netflix's Hill House show, and was wondering why they'd serve up their own programming looking like poo poo. Well, they just stream crappy quality to Firefox is how. This plugin signals to Netflix that it's OK to stream actual 1080p content. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/force-1080p-netflix/

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there anything like Tab Mix Plus for current Firefox or am I stuck on Waterfox for now? Main things I need from TMP are the multi-row tab listing and not loading tabs until interacted with.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Ornedan posted:

Is there anything like Tab Mix Plus for current Firefox or am I stuck on Waterfox for now? Main things I need from TMP are the multi-row tab listing and not loading tabs until interacted with.
The not-loading is built into firefox. For multiple rows of tabs, well... there's CSS to do it but it tends to screw up drag and drop.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Firefox on my Android phone has been doing a weird thing for the past few weeks. I have my top sites on the new tab, let's call them A, B, C, and D. That's the order I visit these sites in every morning. Sometimes, after I visit C and then go to the top sites page to visit D, I'll find that C has moved to in front of A. When this happens I swap between A and B a few times until things are back in the correct order. Does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on and how to prevent Firefox from randomly putting C first?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It seems to do it by amount of visits. You can long tap a site and then select pin site to stick it to the front of the line, so I suggest you pin A B and C to keep them on the order you like.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Geemer posted:

It seems to do it by amount of visits. You can long tap a site and then select pin site to stick it to the front of the line, so I suggest you pin A B and C to keep them on the order you like.

Yeah, that's what I figured it did too. It's just weird that it feels like it does that most of the time. I'll pin them so they stay put, thanks. Forgot I can do that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Lol when you pin sites it tries to alphabetize them, so now I have this awkward combination of pinned and unpinned sites. Good job, Mozilla.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dylan16807 posted:

The not-loading is built into firefox. For multiple rows of tabs, well... there's CSS to do it but it tends to screw up drag and drop.

I've been using some CSS for multirow tabs and haven't had any issues so far with it.

code:
/* Multi-Row Bookmarks Toolbar Firefox 66+ */

#PersonalToolbar {
  min-height: unset !important;
  max-height: unset !important;
/* text-align: center !important; */
}

#PersonalToolbar #PlacesToolbarItems {
  overflow-x: visible !important;
  overflow-y: visible !important;
  display: inline-block !important;
}

#PlacesToolbarItems > .bookmark-item > .toolbarbutton-icon[label]:not([label=""]) {
  /* Reduce padding on individual bookmarks to fit rows closer together */
  margin-inline-end: 0px !important;
}

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Is there a way to change the new tab behavior to insert after the current one on Android? The about:config option that's available on desktop doesn't seem to exist.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://www.cnet.com/news/new-mozilla-firefox-logo-arrives-next-week-you-can-see-it-now/

New Firefox logo incoming.

I prefer the current one.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I usually hate everything new, so I'm taking this opportunity to like it for a change.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
They should fix bugs instead of wasting time on a logo. :downs:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I like it. Welcome little pandafriendo!

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Poor little fox lost its leg :(

e. "which hasn't been updated since 2017."

e2. For those that don't want to click through

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 6, 2019

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

In a few years, it will just be a blue circle inside a red circle

astral
Apr 26, 2004

rujasu posted:

In a few years, it will just be a blue circle inside a red circle

A true success of flat design.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

it's fine. tail looks more like fire and less like furry tail. that's fine too.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Personally a fan of the new look. It's cool

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Fine with it. Shrink down to icon size and it's really not that different from the current one. Like that we can see little fox's face now!

The one thing I don't like: why is the globe so purple? It becomes very apparent on a blue background.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

This new logo is a lot less offensive than what they did to the Mozilla logo.

And also a lot less offensive than most logo redesigns that have been going on lately, where they throw out any identity. At least this is still clearly a (fire) fox around an orb.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Merkinman posted:

They should fix bugs instead of wasting time on a logo. :downs:

:redass:

Assuming you're not taking the piss here, the art team is not the same as the coding team.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I miss the Firebird branding :smith:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

iospace posted:

:redass:

Assuming you're not taking the piss here, the art team is not the same as the coding team.

The :downs: was referring to the type of people that say such a thing, sorry I didn't make that clear.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

it's genuinely kind of neat to see the evolution through the years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

iospace posted:

I miss the Firebird branding :smith: