Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Doom Rooster posted:

It's been a long, long time since I last went to Dickey's, but they were always medium-low tier bbq. Still tastes good, was worth the price, turkey was the standout of all things. Worth going if you don't have a really good place nearby, just temper your expectations.

Put BBQ sauce on leather and it will "taste" like BBQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Trastion posted:

Yeah unfortunately there are only a few BBQ places in the area and none close to work. I could drive to one of the ones I know are good but you never know what the wait will be like so I might drive 15 minutes to get there and not be able to wait for food because of time.

Rat poison as sugar? First off why are you getting sugar at a BBQ joint?
Second do you have a source for that?

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=1941049&itype=cmsid

Sorry, it was Lye. Which I guess you could kill rats with...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Trastion posted:

Anyone ever had Dickies BBQ? They opened one near my work so I'm going to go today for lunch and check them out.

It's not terrible but nothing amazing either. It's a chain and I'd rather eat it than fast food.

There's a Mission BBQ that opened nearby and it's pretty dang decent, but also a chain.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Mission is a chain but at least they usually have good sauce selection so you can tailor whatever you got to whatever style you feel like to some degree.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Dickie's isnt the worst BBQ you can have. Most of the non chain places will be far far better though. If you're in a hurry, then it's not bad and beats McDonalds any day. Plus free ice cream is nice.

I usually get some coupons for Dickie's every year from Entertainment book and use those. Buy 1 get 1 free entree makes it a real good value, even if the BBQ isn't the best.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

arisu posted:

Dickie's isnt the worst BBQ you can have. Most of the non chain places will be far far better though. If you're in a hurry, then it's not bad and beats McDonalds any day. Plus free ice cream is nice.

Forgot about this. It's a nice perk.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Hasselblad posted:

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=1941049&itype=cmsid

Sorry, it was Lye. Which I guess you could kill rats with...

So it was an accident that could have happened anywhere. And does happen other places and not something that will probably ever happen there again.

Suburban Dad posted:

It's not terrible but nothing amazing either. It's a chain and I'd rather eat it than fast food.

There's a Mission BBQ that opened nearby and it's pretty dang decent, but also a chain.

Yeah it was decent but I am in West Michigan so I don't have all the little shops around. There are a few small places in town but they are not near my work so this place will be a good change from the other lunch choices I have.

arisu posted:

Plus free ice cream is nice.

I didn't see anything there about ice cream, free or not. Though they just opened.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Trastion posted:

I didn't see anything there about ice cream, free or not. Though they just opened.

The ones around here have a soft serve machine you can use if you got food. Like Jason's Deli or something.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

atothesquiz posted:

I bought some beef ribs earlier in the week with the intention to smoke them last Friday and eat them on Saturday. Well weather was poo poo so I didn't get the smoker out. Now my choice was to wait till Wednesday when the weather turned around to smoke and then freeze them or just freeze them raw to smoker later.

I went with smoking, vacuuming and then freezing. I'll warm them up with the sousvide when we want them in a week or two. It took all my will power not to take a bite out of one but dont think I wasn't licking my fingers though.

Oooohh...show me the crumb shot when you choose to finally eat them. Please. I need to see what's under that bark baby. Don't tease me.

Pen Express
Sep 23, 2009

Trastion posted:

West Michigan

GR?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
So, not smoking, but rather, grilling... Has anyone done grilled lamb shoulder chops? They're on sale this week so I'm thinking of picking up a few pounds, throwing some za'atar and sumac into some olive oil and rubbing that on the chops as a quick surface treatment. Then, grilling them over a bunch of nice maple lump charcoal.

Yay/nay?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Trastion posted:

So it was an accident that could have happened anywhere. And does happen other places and not something that will probably ever happen there again.

TBH I am more concerned with the quality of the BBQ. I tossed the poisoning in as flair.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

VERTiG0 posted:

So, not smoking, but rather, grilling... Has anyone done grilled lamb shoulder chops? They're on sale this week so I'm thinking of picking up a few pounds, throwing some za'atar and sumac into some olive oil and rubbing that on the chops as a quick surface treatment. Then, grilling them over a bunch of nice maple lump charcoal.

Yay/nay?

That's a great flavor combo, IMO. Just be really careful on the cook. Lamb shoulder chops go from raw to overcooked and tough in a flash. They'll still be delicious no matter what though.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
We had a great BBQ class today:

Sliced St. Louis ribs

Pulled Pork

Sausage fatty stuffed with fontina, roasted red peppers and prosciutto

Brisket flat

Smoked meatloaf

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hungry for some smoked gator now

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Doom Rooster posted:

That's a great flavor combo, IMO. Just be really careful on the cook. Lamb shoulder chops go from raw to overcooked and tough in a flash. They'll still be delicious no matter what though.

Apologies for the late reply. It ended up pouring rain that evening so I blasted them at insanely high heat in a cast iron pan. They turned out great, and I'm usually not one for gamey lamb, but drat did that za'atar compliment the gaminess well.

Would cook again.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Does this thread have any opinions re: Pit Boss pellet grills?

Lowes has some good deals on some right now, not that I can afford one. It’d be nice to have one when I move back into an apartment, since they get hotter than my MES and you can actually sort of grill on them.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
After a week and change, Pastrami is finally finished:

Brined, aka the least appetizing hunk of meat ever:

Rubbed, getting there

after stalling on the smoker, before going in the steamer:

And finally, slicing in to it at long fuckin last:

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Tev posted:

Oooohh...show me the crumb shot when you choose to finally eat them. Please. I need to see what's under that bark baby. Don't tease me.

Threw them in the sous vide yesterday. Turned out great! Super tender and very juicy.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 8, 2019

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
double post

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

gently caress both those ribs and pastrami look fantastic. I've got good Friday off and was gonna smoke some meats so gonna use these as inspiration.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I mean, everything on this page is mouth-watering, but I want me some of that smoked meatloaf. I've never though about doing that despite it being something painfully obvious and available to try.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I mean, everything on this page is mouth-watering, but I want me some of that smoked meatloaf. I've never though about doing that despite it being something painfully obvious and available to try.

It's one of my favourite things to smoke. Easy, quick, incredibly delicious.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I think i'm gonna smoke a tongue.

Maybe double up and do one in the style of lingua and the other smoked.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

atothesquiz posted:

Threw them in the sous vide yesterday. Turned out great! Super tender and very juicy.

Ooooh mama! Thanks for sharing.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

toplitzin posted:

I think i'm gonna smoke a tongue.

Maybe double up and do one in the style of lingua and the other smoked.

Very interested in this, rooting for you.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Applewood smoked chicken wings with a dusting of dry rub and basted with Nando's peri peri sauce.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Smoked chicken wings are the fuckin bomb. I made some for the Super Bowl this year and they were amazing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yes they are and will do some this week or weekend. Did some pulled pork and smoked brats Sunday. Finally decent weather and the first smoke of the year.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes they are and will do some this week or weekend. Did some pulled pork and smoked brats Sunday. Finally decent weather and the first smoke of the year.

Is there a bad kind of weather when smoking is concerned?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

Wind.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Pfft. My double walled broil king keg with stoker laughs at the wind (while I am inside drinking, watching the temps remotely)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My masterbuilt electric doesn't give a poo poo about anything but power outages. It's perfectly fine at -30 doing a brisket. Not sure about -40.

And it'll laugh at any wind short of getting blown over.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

I’ve been buying meats to throw in my smoker once the weather broke and I was able to clean up my yard. That looks like it will happen next weekend. Now I just have to figure out what to thaw first...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hasselblad posted:

When the seal on your BGW freezes shut.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My entire yard is dogshit. Waiting for the snow to leave then I'm hiring a dog poop guy. It's just too much of a pain to keep o top of in the winter when the drat dog takes 30 mins to poo and then it gets covered by snow instantly.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

jonathan posted:

My entire yard is dogshit. Waiting for the snow to leave then I'm hiring a dog poop guy. It's just too much of a pain to keep o top of in the winter when the drat dog takes 30 mins to poo and then it gets covered by snow instantly.

Post/av combo right here.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Yeah. Jenison is where it is actually.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

jonathan posted:

Same. That’s one of the things I have to do before the grills and smoker get pulled out of the garage. Yay, months old soggy dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
I'm looking to smoke my first pork butt this weekend, I caught a decent sale at 99c a pound so i have an 8 pound pork butt. Since this is my first pork butt, does anyone have a good guide to get this thing to come out decent? Its just me and my partner so no pressure with hungry folks around. But if there is a good guide for rub/times that someone has i'd love to see it. Also I've been reading a lot about brining the butt ( lol ) before the smoke is that necessary?